Welcome to Mexico’s second-largest city, the home of tequila and mariachi! Guadalajara is a beautiful city full of historical buildings and colonial character, most of them located in the old town of Guadalajara, the best location to spend your Mexican holiday!
In this post, I will walk you through the best areas where you should stay in Guadalajara, Mexico, and the best hotels in the city. I’ve carefully selected accommodations with amazing reviews and top-notch services. Just keep in mind that Guadalajara is a super famous destination, and all the good hotels will sell out super fast, so definitely book yours in advance!
This city is such a magical place! The architecture of all the buildings in the old town and the museums will make you feel like you’ve traveled back in time! And let’s not forget about the fabulous mariachi music that will brighten your days spent here!
I hope you’re ready for lots of margaritas!
- If you are in a hurry
- 1. City Center – where to stay in Guadalajara for the first time
- 2. Zapopan – best place in Guadalajara for families
- 3. Zona Expo – the best place to stay in Guadalajara for events
- 4. Colonia Americana – trendiest place to stay in Guadalajara
- 5. Financial District – the best place for luxury travelers
- 6. Chapalita – where to stay for budget travelers
- BONUS: Best hotels to stay in Guadalajara near the Airport
- Frequently asked questions about Guadalajara
If you are in a hurry
If you want to book now, there’s no reason to wait any minute longer! Quickly browse through this list of the best hotels in Guadalajara, all located in the City Center
Here’s a map of all the areas where to stay in Guadalajara that I will be talking about in this post:
1. City Center – where to stay in Guadalajara for the first time
Are you eager to discover the city’s history, the stunning architecture and see all the important tourist attractions? Well, then you’ve come to the right place! The City Center or Zona Centro makes up the downtown area of Guadalajara and is also home to the historic center!
That is the recipe for a perfect holiday. Suppose you choose to stay in Guadalara’s downtown area. In that case, all the attractions you’ll want to visit, like the Refugio Cultural Center and Plaza de Armas, will be located within walking distance from your hotels!
Yep, the City Center has it all! And that’s not it… You’ll also find great restaurants where you can try the traditional food and great bars to drink Margaritas all night long!
In the Old Town, the main attraction is the Guadalajara Cathedral, and it’s a fine example of stunning Renaissance architecture. And if you’re into architecture, there are more styles to discover here, such as Art Nouveau, Baroque, Colonial, and Neoclassical.
Of course, you’ll need an awesome hotel for your holiday, and the City Center has some of the best accommodations in Guadalajara, which you’ll need to book in advance if you want to get your hand on the best deals! And if you’re thinking of visiting other parts of the country, Mexico City, the capital, is always a good idea!
I love that the hotels in Guadalajara have a traditional design, and this one makes no exception! Located near the biggest tourist attractions, this luxury accommodation has a spa center and a swimming pool! Head to the hotel’s lounge area, get a Mexican cocktail and listen to some live music. There’s also a restaurant on-site, a terrace, and free wifi.
Other accommodation options in City Center
A modern boutique hotel in the historic center that has spacious rooms, a fitness center, and a restaurant
Make new friends at this hostel that has private rooms, a shared kitchen, and organizes tequila nights!
Enjoy the sun and the views of the historic buildings in the roof pool of this loft that has a kitchen and a backyard
Things to do in City Center
- Shop in the Mercado Libertad – San Juan de Dios, the largest indoor market in Latin America
- Listen to some mariachi music in Plaza de los Mariachis
- Visit the Museum of the Arts University of Guadalajara and the Regional Museum
- Check out the Refugio Cultural Center
- Take a premium Maestro Tequilero tour
- Visit the Arena Coliseo and watch the Lucha Libre wrestling
- Take a stroll around Plaza de Armas or around Plaza Del Jardín Hidalgo
- Have a drink in the bars and cafes in Plaza Guadalajara
- Explore the historic center and visit the Guadalajara Cathedral, the neoclassical Teatro Degollado, and the Government Palace
2. Zapopan – best place in Guadalajara for families
Located just 5 miles (8 km) northwest of downtown Guadalajara, this area is an independent city but still part of the Guadalajara Metropolitan area. The name comes from the ancient Aztec language and means “among the sapote trees”.
Just like downtown Guadalajara, this city is also filled with historic buildings, restaurants, and bars. Luckily it’s not so crowded, so if you’re traveling with your family or you’re not that much into crowds, Zapopan is the perfect place to stay in the Guadalajara Metropolitan Area.
The city is quite large so you’re going to find many things to do! The most important tourist attractions include the Basilica of Our Lady of Zapopan, a super popular landmark that became even more famous after Pope John Paul II visited it. The 17th-century building features stunning Plateresque architecture and a famous image of the Virgin Mary, of which it is said to have performed many miracles.
Don’t worry, I’ve got some nice attractions for the little ones as well. There are a few parks in the area, like the Guadalajara Metropolitan Park, but the star of the show is Villa Fantasia Zoo. It’s going to be tough getting the kids out of there, that’s for sure!
If you’re lucky, you can even catch a concert at Auditorio Telmex, located in the University Cultural Center. In that case, the concert hall is one of the most important ones in Latin America. And if you’re planning another trip with the family in Mexico, check out the hotels in Puerto Vallarta, it’s the best location for holidays!
Enjoy the nice weather by the swimming pool at this luxury hotel! Featuring family rooms and free private parking on-site, the accommodation is perfect for your getaway to Guadalajara, Mexico! Have a cup of coffee in the garden, relax at the spa center and eat the most delicious dishes at the hotel’s restaurant!
Other accommodation options in Zapopan
A nice boutique hotel in the Guadalajara Metropolitan area that has family rooms and a fitness center
This budget accommodation has a children’s playground, a garden and it offers a free breakfast
This spacious apartment has 2 rooms, a kitchen, a backyard where the kids can play, and free wifi
Things to do in Zapopan
- Spend a fun day with the family in the Guadalajara Park
- Take the kids to see the cute animals at the Villa Fantasia Zoo
- Catch a concert at Auditorio Telmex
- Check out the Museum of Art Zapopan and the Magic Top Museum
- Have a family dinner at Los Arcos
- Visit the Basilica of Our Lady of Zapopan, the biggest tourist attraction in Zapopan, that Pope John Paul II visited
3. Zona Expo – the best place to stay in Guadalajara for events
This area is home to Expo Guadalajara, a big convention center located south of downtown Guadalajara. just 4 miles (6 km) away in Colonia Valle Verde.
Zona Expo is a perfect place to stay in town for business travelers or people attending convention center events. You’ll find many hotels, especially business chains.
Expo Guadalajara is the largest fairground in the city, and it hosts all the major trade fair events, conferences, and exhibitions in Latin America. So if you’re coming to stay in Guadalajara specifically for this reason, then book your hotel here!
Because the area is so frequented by business travelers or people who just come for the events, more than half of Zona Expo is filled with restaurants and different types of hotels, especially business chains.
Apart from the convention center, there isn’t much to do at Zona Expo, but you can rest assured that you’ll find many dining options here to sample all the Mexican food of your dreams. But the surrounding areas like the City Center are filled with art galleries and museums that you can visit, by using public transport or renting a car.
Go for a swim in the pool and relax after your event in this luxury hotel. The accommodation offers spacious rooms, some stunning views of the city, and 2 on-site restaurants. Wake up, have a delicious breakfast and a cup of coffee, and get ready to attend another day of events at Expo Guadalajara.
Other accommodation options in Zona Expo
Go for a night swim in the pool of this modern hotel that has a great design, a restaurant, and a bar
Admire the city views from the terrace of this budget hotel that offers a continental breakfast and free wifi
Enjoy your stay in Guadalajara in this spacious apartment that has 3 rooms, a kitchen, and a balcony
Things to do in Zona Expo
- Attend an event at Expo Guadalajara Mexico, in Colonia Valle Verde
- Catch a concert at Trasloma Park in Zona Expo
- Take a pic of the Pyramid of the Sun replica
- Check out the blown glass crafts studios in the nearby town of Tlaquepaque
- Try your luck at Casina Majestic in Guadalajara, Mexico
- Have dinner after your event at Carnes Asadas Pipiolo, one of the best restaurants in Zona Expo
4. Colonia Americana – trendiest place to stay in Guadalajara
Located 3 miles (4 km) east of the City Center, this neighborhood is home to many hip coffee shops, cool nightclubs, and restaurants. Colonia America is the best place to stay in Guadalajara for young people looking for trendy spots in town.
The urban atmosphere reigns over the neighborhood and the mix of restored mansions and historic buildings bring great value to the city. I highly recommend exploring the area on foot to discover all those hidden architectural gems!
Colonia Americana’s biggest tourist attraction is the Scream Amusement Park, a great place for anyone who’s into horror movies! But let’s not forget about all the trendy bars here! What better way to get to know the country’s culture than to taste all its traditional drinks! Some of my favorite spots to grab a drink in town are Oliveria Cocktail Bar and Palosanto Bar.
Downtown Guadalajara is also not too far so you can always just walk there or use public transport if you want to visit Guadalajara Cathedral and the historical center!
Enjoy working out with a view of the city in this luxury hotel that has spacious rooms equipped with flat-screen TVs. Take a long relaxing bath in the tub, order some room service and get ready for another day of sightseeing around Guadalajara, or head down to the hotel’s restaurant to eat your breakfast.
Other accommodation options in Colonia Americana
I love the homie feeling of this hotel that has an outdoor pool, rooms with garden views, and free wifi
An affordable option where to stay in Guadalajara, this hotel has a restaurant, a shared lounge, and a terrace
Such an instagrammable place, this studio has a great design, lots of space, a kitchen, and a balcony
Things to do in Colonia Americana
- Admire the architecture of the old houses
- Eat a delicious dinner at Nuevo León
- Take a stroll around Moment Square in Guadalajara and in the
- Try not to get scared at Scream Amusement Park
- Drink lots of cocktails at Oliveria Cocktail Bar and Palosanto Bar
- Spend a fun day with your friends at Fox in a Box Room Escape Guadalajara
5. Financial District – the best place for luxury travelers
Located just 5 miles (8 km) northwest of the City Center, this neighborhood is one of the most expensive areas of the city and it’s filled with high-end hotels, gourmet restaurants, and luxury shops!
So if you’re going all out with this holiday to Guadalajara, Mexico, and money is not an issue, then I highly recommend booking a place to stay in the Financial District.
There are also a lot of big companies that have their headquarters here, such as banks, so if you’re coming here on a business trip, the Financial District might be a good idea for you too!
I don’t know about you, but I must buy something to wear or an accessory from each particular country when I travel. Luckily, Midtown Jalisco Shopping Center is home to many luxury stores, perfect for travelers who choose to stay in the Financial District. So, after you’ve checked in at your fabulous hotel, have a delicious dinner at one of the fancy restaurants and spoil yourself with a shopping session!
Rooms with ceiling-to-floor windows and stunning views of the city? How can one not love luxury hotels! Head to the lounge area on the terrace to have a cup of coffee, eat some breakfast and spend a whole day relaxing in the spa center of this awesome accommodation!
Other accommodation options in Financial District
This is one of the best hotels in Guadalajara, it has a stunning vintage design, a restaurant, and a pool
Go for a swim in the pool of this budget hotel that offers breakfast and free parking, or chill on the terrace
Enjoy the city views from the balcony of this spacious apartment that offers access to a pool
Things to do in the Financial District
- Explore the area on foot and admire the architecture
- Check out the high-end stores in the Midtown Jalisco Shopping Center
- Eat a traditional Mexican meal at Alcalde Restaurant
- Have a drink at Piana Bar The Champagne Glass
- See what’s on at Charlie Chaplin Theatre in the Metropolitan area of Guadalajara
6. Chapalita – where to stay for budget travelers
Located 5 miles (8 km) northwest of downtown Guadalajara and the historical center, this residential area is a great place to stay in the city if you’re looking for super affordable accommodations and restaurants that have good prices.
I love staying in areas most frequented by local people. That way, I can observe their little quirks and lifestyle and enjoy the authentic experience of visiting Guadalajara. If you do, you’ll be happy to know that is exactly how Chapalita is! The neighborhood doesn’t see so many tourists so you can easily learn many things about how the people live here.
Although the area is pretty quiet, during the week, as everyone comes back from work and heads straight home, as the weekend approaches, you’ll see all the local bars and restaurants filled with people. So put your dancing shoes on and get out there to listen to mariachi music and drink some cocktails!
Get a glass of wine and sit on the roof terrace by the little fire pit while you enjoy the city views! I love the elegant design of this luxury accommodation. Order some room service or go to the restaurant to enjoy a delicious meal before starting your day in Guadalajara!
Other accommodation options in Chapalita
Enjoy your stay in Guadalajara in this modern hotel that has a restaurant, a fitness center, and a bar
A simple and clean pet-friendly hotel that has spacious rooms equipped with kitchenettes
Go for a swim in the shared pool of this Guadalajara apartment that has 2 rooms and a kitchen
Things to do in Chapalita
- Eat some Mexican food at Tortas Tono
- Take a pic of La Estampida monument
- Drink some cocktails at Cesar’s Club
- Enjoy the lights of the Matute Remus Bridge at night
- Have a burger at El Canibal
|👑 Luxury price:
|💵 Mid Range:
|👪 Best area for families:
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:
|🧳 Best mid-range hotel:
|Hotel Dali Plaza Ejecutivo
|👛 Best budget hotel:
|Hostel Hospedarte Centro
BONUS: Best hotels to stay in Guadalajara near the Airport
I know booking your hotel near the airport can be convenient for lots of reasons when you visit Guadalajara, especially if you’re just passing by on your way to another place. If you’re just passing by and not staying in the city, you probably don’t want to waste lots of time and money on accommodation in the center.
That’s why I thought it would be a good idea to make a list of the best accommodations to stay near the Guadalajara airport. So let’s see which ones are the best for you!
- Elegant House – I love the traditional design of this house! Everything from the furniture to the color palette used looks amazing! The accommodation has a huge garden and a lovely terrace where you can relax plus the airport is located south of the accommodation just 2 miles (3 km) away from it.
Mid-range (US$130 – US$140)
- Hangar Inn Guadalajara Airport – Relax after that long flight in the spacious rooms of this great hotel in Guadalajara that are located less than a mile (1 km) away from the airport. It also offers a free airport shuttle service and a free breakfast for its guests making it extremely convenient for layovers.
Budget (US$90 – US$100)
- Hotel Anb – A nice budget accommodation for your stay in Guadalajara that has a restaurant and family rooms. The hotel is located 2 miles (3 km) away from the airport and you’ll be lucky enough to get a free airport shuttle ride if you book your room here.
- Cozy Apartment – Get a glass of wine and enjoy the city views from the spacious terrace of this apartment in Guadalajara, Mexico that has 2 rooms and a kitchen. The apartment is located 8 miles, 11 km south of the airport.
Frequently asked questions about Guadalajara
🇲🇽 What is the best area to stay in Guadalajara, Mexico?
The City Center, which is also the historical center of the town, is the best area to stay in Guadalajara. Here you’ll find all the big attractions like the Guadalajara Cathedral and some awesome hotels like Hotel Morales.
🛑 Is Guadalajara, Mexico safe for tourists?
Yes, Guadalajara is safe for tourists, it’s one of the most popular places in Mexico when it comes to tourism. However, you should avoid walking alone at night in secluded spots.
🤔 Is Guadalajara worth visiting?
Yes, Guadalajara, Mexico is a wonderful place for a holiday. The colorful town is filled with big historical attractions like the Guadalajara Cathedral and great hotels, like Hotel Morales.
⚠️ Which is safer: Mexico City or Guadalajara?
Although both cities are safe enough for tourists, Guadalajara is said to be safer than Mexico City, when it comes to foreigners who visit the city.
What a fabulous city, I just love its historic center that has such a strong colonial character! I hope this post helped you decide where to stay in Guadalajara, and which boutique hotel to book!
There are so many amazing options hotels to stay in Guadalajara, Mexico and I know how hard it is to decide so here are my top 2 favorite options, both located in the City Center
- Hotel Morales – A great hotel that has a terrace and a swimming pool
- Hotel Dali Plaza Ejecutivo – A nice hotel that has a restaurant
If you’ve made your decision, then I highly recommend booking the hotel in Guadalajara, in advance. That way you can get the best deals and the best rooms!
Visit all the amazing attractions, like the Regional Museum and the neoclassical Teatro Degollado, and explore the coolest squares in the city like Plaza de Armas and Plaza Del Jardín Hidalgo, and check out all the restaurants and drink some margaritas for me as well!!
Let me know in the comments if you have any questions about the city or suggestions for our travel community!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!