Are you looking for a cool, tropical destination for your next vacation? Search no more than Tulum in Quintana Roo, Mexico! This beautiful city is the perfect sandy beach destination, but also a great spot if you want to indulge in Mexican food, and explore the Mayan ruins, cenotes and everything else in-between.
Now, if you decided to visit Tulum, here’s the first problem you’ll encounter – where to stay in Tulum?! This is a hard decision because the city is divided into two VERY different areas – Tulum Beach (“playa”) and Tulum Town (“pueblo”). Your decision will be based on personal preferences and your itinerary in the city, but I’ll explain more about the two areas down below.
What you need to know for now is that you don’t need to have a single worry in the world, as I’ll guide you, step-by-step, into choosing the BEST hotel for your stay in Tulum! I’ll explain everything about the two areas in the city and I’ll give you my hand-picked Tulum hotels in each of them. You’ll find plenty of choices here, from hotels for couples, families to luxurious resorts and budget hotels.
That being said, are you ready to find out more from my guide on where to stay in Tulum, Mexico?
Yes? Let’s go!
First of all, where to stay in Tulum – beach or town?
As I mentioned above, Tulum is divided into two very different (and distant, I might add) areas – Tulum Town, also known as “pueblo” between locals and Tulum Beach or “playa”.
Okay, so far so good, but which one of them should you choose? Well –
GO FOR TULUM BEACH IF:
- you’re visiting Tulum for the first time
- you are planning on spending your days relaxing on the beach
- you want to splurge in a boutique resort
- money is not an issue
GO FOR TULUM TOWN IF:
- you are on the budget
- you are planning on exploring the Mayan ruins, cenotes and do plenty of day trips in the surrounding area
- you want to stay somewhere where you can experience Tulum’s authentic local vibe
I know, I know, it’s hard to decide, but unfortunately you’ll have to, as the two areas are too distant to walk between them. I have one solution, though – if you plan on spending more days in Tulum, you can stay in two different hotels, one in each area. This way you’ll have the best of both worlds! Or you can just go between them with a taxi and it will cost you from 70 to 150 Mexican pesos (US$3.60 to US$7.70).
Now that the decision is more clear to you, let me share with you where and what are the best hotels in Tulum, Mexico in each of the two areas!
1. Best Hotels on Tulum Beach
The “playa” is a long strip of beach where you’ll find tons of luxurious resorts (and by luxurious I mean US$1.000 per night) that have direct access to the Tulum beach.
The way this area is organized is that, even though the beaches are technically “public”, each of these resorts has its own stretch of beach and you’ll have to be a guest in order to spend your time there. But no worries, you will have some free public beaches that you can enjoy! Oh, and by the way, the more South you go, the more beautiful beaches will become (and the hotels even more expensive!). Such is life!
But this is definitely the best area to stay in Tulum, Mexico if you want to relax and enjoy your vacation to the fullest! And, if I might add, it’s where I’d stay in Tulum as well. You’ll have plenty of modern, local restaurants where you can eat, cool bars, chic hotels and luxury shops that you can choose from here.
By the way, I think you already guessed that the budget category for the beach area is not your typical “budget” category, but I still found some more accessible hotels for you to stay on the beach. But where to stay in Tulum on the beach? Well, here are my recommended hotels for you.
Luxury (US$500 and up)
This area is PERFECT for travelers that want to splurge and be spoiled, so I gave myself permission to offer you more hotel recommendations in this section than usual. So here you have no less than 8 top beachfront accommodations:
- Be Tulum Hotel & Spa Resort – This is one of the best hotels in Tulum on the beach, trust me! You’ll be totally spoiled here and you’ll get world-class service as this resort awaits you with 3 on-site restaurants, two pools, its own private beach and beach club and more. Just look at the pictures; and trust me, all the Be Tulum reviews are so good!
- The Beach Tulum Hotel – The name simply says it all: if you want to stay close to the water in style during your vacation, this is THE place to be! This boutique hotel is the definition of elegance, just pick your favorite beachfront suite and enjoy the terrace, pool, bar, spa and even the on-site shop! Plus, it’s located a bit to the south and there are only 5.6 km to the biosphere in Tulum – Sian Ka!
- O’ Tulum – Adults Only – One of the best luxury Tulum hotels on the playa, this resort promises to not disappoint. The accommodation is decorated in a true Mexican style (a luxurious one, don’t get me wrong) and it awaits you with a bar, a terrace and superb rooms. If you are looking for a great beachfront hotel, this might be the one!
- Hotel Cabanas Tulum – Didn’t you have enough yet? No worries, I have more! This 4-star hotel boutique in Tulum is located on one of the best beaches in Tulum and it has its own beach club. During your stay in Tulum, guests will definitely love the amazing rooms and all the high-quality facilities at Cabanas hotel. Ah, by the way, some rooms here even have their own private rooftop terrace and hot tub!
- Zamas Tulum – Here’s another fab accommodation on my list of best Tulum accommodation on the beach if you want to be more to the south. This 4-star hotel boasts colorful rooms, an outdoor pool, a perfect beach and more. Oh, and if you want to relax, you can even book massages and beauty treatments from the reception – how great is that?!
- Azulik Tulum – Any Instagramer dream, this gorgeous private resort awaits you with 5-star service and many luxurious facilities that will definitely make you stay. If you are looking for where to stay in Tulum in an actual treehouse, this is your answer! Plus, make sure to visit their restaurant called “Kin Toh Tulum”, it is well-known for its delicious dishes!
- Tago by G Hotels – This luxurious property was formerly known as Coral Tulum and it’s the perfect place if you are wondering where to stay for a luxurious service! The rooms are tasteful and cozy and the on-site local restaurant serves delicious food. What more are you looking for?
- Jashita Hotel Tulum – Last (but definitely not least), this gorgeous 5-star beach resort in Tulum is located on one of the most charming white sand beaches you will ever explore! It has no less than 3 outdoor pools (what?!), a bar-restaurant, a terrace with ocean views and maaany other luxury facilities!
Middle-priced (from US$200 to US$500)
- Ahau Tulum – This cool 4-star accommodation is one of my favorite design hotels in Tulum! It comes with some more accessible prices, but the service is still luxurious! You can choose to stay here for the free Wi-Fi, superb rooms, yoga lessons, and the on-site restaurant. Plus, the hotel is located close (a short walking distance) to a beach called Akiin in Tulum!
- Ana y Jose Hotel & Spa – This 5-star hotel has some beautiful rooms for some more accessible prices, but you’ll still feel super spoiled during your stay. An outdoor pool, a spa, a private beach area, many superb rooms with Mexican decors – these are just some of the advantages of this hotel!
- Kanan – If you still haven’t found where to stay from the options above, here is another awesome accommodation located on a beach to the south that offers incredible service for the money you’ll spend! Prepare yourself to spend your days on the private beach or lay on the beautiful terrace. Or why not relax in one of their rooms that have a sea view?
- Coco Tulum – If you are wondering where to stay in Tulum for a great price and a private beach as well, I might have an answer! This beautiful hotel is one of the top choices on the beachfront and the rooms have a view of either the Caribbean Sea or jungle. Awesome or what?!
- NEST Tulum – Here’s another amazing hotel that will make you feel at home! I definitely recommend it for couples but for families as well and I’m sure you’ll enjoy the nice beach, the cozy guestrooms, free Wi-Fi, free breakfast and more!
Budget (up to US$200)
As I mentioned before, the budget section for Tulum beach is not your typical budget category, but I still found some AMAZING hotels that offer a great price for luxury services. Here’s what I’m talking about:
- Suites Tulum – This super cool hotel is a great choice for two travelers especially, as I consider it to be one of the best Tulum romantic hotels! Some of its greatest advantages include an outdoor swimming pool, a great on-site local restaurant, free bike rental, free Wi-Fi and more! The location is great as well, on the beach strip close to the south!
- Manglex Eco-Hotel – This Tulum eco resort awaits you with an outdoor pool in case you get bored of spending your time on the beach, haha! You’ll also have free Wi-Fi, terrace, free parking and many types of rooms available – all for a very good price! Plus, it’s eco-friendly!
- Co.Bañitas – Last but not least, this amazing hotel is simply perfect for a couple! You’ll only be 70m away from the beach, which is just amazing. Plus, the accommodation offers free bike rental, a beautiful garden and terrace and, of course, gorgeous rooms! The prices are very convenient as well, so you can save some bucks for other cool activities!
2. Best Hotels inside Tulum Town
If you don’t have the budget to stay in the “playa” area or if you’re a more active type of traveler and you’re planning to explore the surrounding area and to do day trips instead of laying on the beach, then I recommend staying in the town itself.
The “pueblo” is the actual village and it’s a great place to explore the local vibe of Tulum town and to indulge in traditional Mexican food. You’ll find many souvenir shops, food stands and, last but not least, TONS of budget-friendly accommodations. If you want to find out more about Quintana Roo, I recommend checking out my article about 9 Unforgettable Things to Do in Riviera Maya!
The main con here is that you’ll have to take a taxi if you want to get to the beach. If that doesn’t sound that bad to you, here is the list of luxury hotels, budget hotels and everything in between in Tulum Town:
Luxury (US$100 and up)
- Kaab – Here’s an amazing choice if you want to take a break and feel like a queen (or king, of course) while staying close to the main city road! At this accommodation you’ll find a gorgeous outdoor pool, a great on-site restaurant, a garden and wonderful rooms. What more can you wish for?
- Biwa – This 4-star hotel is a great option as well in case you want to benefit from free bike rental, a cool swimming pool, an on-site bar and a terrace. Needless to say they have free Wi-Fi, room service and sparkling clean rooms, am I right?
- Casa Patrones – My third recommendation for where to stay in Tulum Center is Casa Patrones. It’s honestly one of the best hotels in Tulum Town for couples (but not only) that I would definitely recommend to you! It has free on-site parking, a great outdoor pool, a shared kitchen if you want to cook your own meals, and more!
Middle-priced (from US$40 to US$100)
- Joy Tulum – Adults Only – This 3-star accommodation in the center offers an amazing quality for the money you’ll spend when you stay here. Get ready for a beautiful outdoor pool, a cute sun terrace, free Wi-Fi, and a great location!
- Ginger – This is actually one of the most popular choices among tourists that want to be in the heart of Tulum town. Why? Because this awesome hotel offers perfect facilities and amenities for a very good price. I’ll only mention the outdoor pool and yummy breakfast, but there’s more!
- Hotel Central Station – This 3-star hotel in Tulum Town has many types of rooms that you can choose from and all of them are super clean, spacious and very cozy. The accommodation has an overall good location, a calm atmosphere and many great facilities!
Budget (up to US$40)
Wondering where to stay in Tulum on a tight budget? As I said, Tulum pueblo is perfect for budget travelers and backpackers, so get ready for some amazing prices and even more amazing service!
Here is what I recommend if you want to stay in the heart of the city and have the Mayan ruins nearby:
- Hotel Blanco – This 3-star hotel is simply incredible because of its low prices and high standards! Some of the best advantages of staying here include concierge service, free Wi-Fi, buffet breakfast, and a very convenient location!
- Banana Hostel – This cool hostel has STUNNING reviews! Trust me when I say that it’s one of the most popular choices among budget travelers because it has a superb outdoor pool, a shared lounge, a cool bar, buffet breakfast and clean and cozy rooms.
- Hostal La Malinche – Last but not least, if you still haven’t found where to stay in Tulum on a budget, this hostel is another choice that you won’t regret! During your stay you’ll be able to explore the cute garden, the on-site local restaurant, the bar, free Wi-Fi, bike rental services and all the other great services they offer!
3. Best apartments in Tulum
Except for superb beach resorts and nice hostels, Tulum has a wide range of apartments as well! Staying in an apartment is a great idea if you are traveling with family or in a big group, as it will give you a cozier atmosphere where you’ll feel right at home. Plus, the prices tend to be more accessible for apartments in Tulum!
Here is what I can recommend for each budget:
Luxury (US$150 and up)
- Casa Ya’ab – Yes, you can stay in an apartment and still be spoiled with a royal treatment in Tulum and this is a perfect example! This apartment is actually one of the best Tulum villas and it’s decorated with great style. It also has an outdoor pool, fitness center (OMG), a nice shared lounge and it’s ideal for up to 8 people. What are you waiting for?!
- Tulum Nah – This is actually a very nice complex of aparthotels and you’ll be able to choose from many different types of rooms. These will accommodate from 1 to 4 people, so this is a very good deal for people traveling with their family as well!
Middle-priced (from US$70 to US$150)
- Hotel Panacea Tulum – Here is another stunning 4-star aparthotel that combines the excellent service of a hotel with the coziness of staying in an apartment during your trip. The outdoor pool is simply gorgeous, they have many plants outside, free Wi-Fi, private parking, and a cool terrace as well!
- LiveTulum – Apparently, there are many excellent aparthotels that offer a very good service and beautiful rooms and this one is no exception! During your stay you’ll definitely be happy to enjoy the cozy rooms, outdoor pool, free breakfast and free wifi. You won’t even want to leave the accommodation!
Budget (up to US$70)
- Villas Akalan – This budget apartment is located, as you guessed, in Tulum City Center and it offers a great value for its money. It’s actually a cool villa that can fit up to 4 people, so I recommend it for a group of friends or a family with kids. Ah, they have a very nice outdoor pool as well, so cool!
- Copal Hotel – I’ll end my list of Tulum accommodation with yet another aparthotel, this time a cozy one that comes at some very accessible prices. This one awaits you with gorgeous rooms, a nice garden, a sun terrace and many other cool perks!
That was it! Here you have my complete guide on where to stay in Tulum, Mexico, both in the city center (pueblo) and on the beach (playa). I hope that you have already found THE perfect hotel for when you’ll visit Tulum, Quintana Roo in the article above!
In this post I gave you my hand-picked hotel recommendations after thorough research on the best spots and accommodations in Tulum, Mexico. You have everything here from the best boutique hotels in Tulum to fabulous beachfront resorts and cute budget ones – something for each type of traveler out there, am I right?
If you want to find out more about exploring Mexico, be sure to check out this article about 9 Unforgettable Things to Do in Riviera Maya!
Are you heading to Tulum any time soon?
Let me know in the comments!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!