Denver is the capital of Colorado in the United States and it’s located 1.6 km (exactly a mile!) above sea level, which is why it’s well-known as the Mile High City.
The city is relatively large (around 620.000 people live there) and it is a perfect destination for history, culture, art, festivals and more – plus, it’s also a great base if you’re planning to do some skiing in the Rocky Mountains! In short, this cool place has something to offer to all types of travelers, from families to solo travelers and everything else in-between.
Now that you decided to organize a trip in this awesome city, you might be wondering where to stay in Denver, am I right? And I’m here to help! Choosing the right area for your stay might be a great challenge, especially for people who are visiting the city for the first time. That’s why I have collected the 4 top areas in this post, together with my hand-picked hotel recommendations!
Are you ready? Let’s go!
If you’re in a hurry…
The top area to stay in Denver for first-time visitors is Downtown Denver. This is where all the important attractions are located and the coolest place to book your accommodation if you want to explore the city by foot and be in the middle of the action at all times.
Best hotels in Denver, Colorado in a nutshell
Which area should you choose?
First of all, here is a Denver neighborhood map so you can easily visualize the areas I am going to talk about in this post:
Denver is not small at all; it’s actually divided into several different neighborhoods, each of them offering unique perks and advantages. In order to make your decision easier, I have created this list of personalized recommendations depending on your itinerary and interest:
- Best area to stay in Denver for luxury: Cherry Creek
- Best area for budget travelers: Capitol Hill
- Best area for families: LoDo
- Best area for nightlife: Central Business District
Now that you understand how this city is organized a bit better, let’s find out everything you need to know in detail about the 4 best neighborhoods in Denver:
1. Downtown Denver – Where to stay in Denver for the first time
Downtown Denver is the heart and soul of the city and the best area for people visiting this city for the first time, especially if you want to enjoy everything that this wonderful city has to offer!
The Downtown area is divided into smaller areas, but the best ones I am recommending to travelers are LoDo (which means Lower Downtown) and Central Business District. Below you can find my chosen hotel recommendations for each of these two areas:
1.1. LoDo (Lower Downtown) & Larimer Square – Where to stay in Denver with a family
LoDo is a great area to stay if you want to be in the center of the action and if you want to be surrounded by beautiful Victorian-style architecture in every corner! There are also countless awesome restaurants, bars and pubs around, so you can rest assured that you can never get bored around here.
While you’re in the area, make sure to take a walk on the 16th Street Mall and explore the numerous food places and shops there. And don’t forget to check out Larimer Square as well, the heart of the area, as well as the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Pepsi Center and the Denver Performing Arts Complex. Plus, if you’re a sports fan, you should know that LoDo is also where Coors Field is, the base of the Colorado Rockies baseball team.
If you feel like this is the area for you, here are the best hotels you can choose from:
Luxury (US$220 and up)
- The Ritz-Carlton, Denver – This is one of the most luxurious places to stay in the center if you want to have lots of awesome facilities and amenities such as an on-site restaurant, a fitness center and more.
- Kimpton Hotel Born – This luxury accommodation is a great choice if you want to be close to Union Station and the Museum of Contemporary art and if you also want to travel in style!
Middle-priced (US$150 – US$220)
- Hilton Garden Inn Union Station, Co – Are you searching for a great mid-range hotel in Denver located close to the Coors Field, base of the Colorado Rockies baseball team? Search no more, as this one’s for you!
- Hotel Indigo Downtown – This is another excellent choice for a Denver hotel that offers a very good value for the money, while also being super close to Union Station and 16th Street Mall as well!
Budget (up to US$150)
- Awesome Shared Room Next to Best Bars – If you’re looking for budget-friendly places to stay near Coors Field, look no more, as these hostel beds are a great way to save money and be in the center of it all at the same time!
- Awesome Hostel Near the Best Nightlife – Here’s another superb choice if you’re on a tight budget but still want to be located in one of the most convenient neighborhoods out there!
1.2. Central Business District – Where to stay in Denver for nightlife
If you’re a night owl interested in partying in dancing, then the Central Business District is THE place for you!
The Central Business District (CBD) is right near LoDo in Downtown Denver and a great place for all types of travelers. Staying here means you’ll be surrounded by shops, restaurants, cafes, museums and everything in between at all times. If you want to try some exciting activities, you can go to the Platte River (CBD is right along the river) and try some paddle boarding, for example!
Convinced? Here are the best hotels in the Central Business District that I picked for you:
Luxury (US$200 and up)
- Four Seasons Hotel Denver – This is definitely one of the best Denver hotels in the entire city! This one has a great outdoor pool and an unforgettable view of the surrounding area and the skyline!
- Grand Hyatt Denver – Make sure to book a room here if you want a full splurge during your vacation here! This cool property has an on-site bar, a restaurant and many other cool perks!
Middle-priced (US$100 – US$200)
- Hilton Denver City Center – Here’s another great choice if you want to have access to an on-site swimming pool, private parking, an on-site restaurant and more!
- Homewood Suites – Denver Downtown – This cool accommodation has a great location if you want to explore the beautiful streets and all the important attractions and landmarks in the center!
Budget (up to US$100)
- Hostel Fish – This is truly one of the cheapest hotels out there! It awaits with a cool and friendly atmosphere and clean rooms, of course!
2. Capitol Hill – Where to stay in Denver on a budget
Capitol Hill is one of the best areas to stay in the city if you’re on a tight budget or if you’re a backpacker that wants to explore Denver, as you’ll find very good budget accommodations here, as well as hostels!
The neighborhood got its name from the well-known Colorado State Capitol building, one of the landmarks of this area and it’s also the place where the Golden Triangle is. This is also a great place for business travelers as well, as you’ll have the Colorado Convention Center right nearby.
Some other important landmarks here are the Molly Brown House Museum (dedicated to the survivor of the RMS Titanic), the United States Mint, Denver Botanic Gardens and Kirkland Museum of Fine & Decorative Art, for example.
That being said, scroll down to find my hand-picked hotels for Capitol Hill area:
Luxury (US$230 and up)
- The ART, a Hotel – When it comes to luxury hotels, Denver surely knows how to make them! This superb property is located very close to the Colorado State Capitol, Colorado History Museum and many other important attractions!
- Patterson Inn – Here’s a great option if you’re looking for a beautiful 4-star hotel that has it all – free Wi-Fi, delicious breakfast, an on-site bar and more!
Middle-priced (US$110 – US$230)
- Hampton Inn & Suites Denver-Downtown – If you’re searching for some great places that offer a very good value for the money you’ll be paying, I can totally recommend this one! One of the top advantages about staying here are the great views of the Rocky Mountains!
- Warwick Denver – Here’s another great choice if you’re on the search for very good 4-star accommodations! You’ll surely love the outdoor swimming pool, the restaurant and the other cool things there.
Budget (up to US$110)
- Ember Hostel – This is one of the best hostels in the city, but also in North America! It has clean rooms and many cool advantages that you’ll surely enjoy!
3. Cherry Creek
Cherry Creek is located close to Downtown Denver (10 minutes by car) and it’s one of the most popular recommendations for luxury travelers interested in world-class dining and high-end accommodation – but not only! This area is simply gorgeous and it offers something for all types of travelers out there, including backpackers and budget travelers!
Cherry Creek is also great if you’re interested in doing some shopping while you’re in Denver – just head over to Cherry Creek Shopping Center, you’ll find everything you need there! While you’re in this area don’t forget to check out Milwaukee Street, as well as Cherry Creek Reservoir and the Pulaski Park as well.
If you feel like you belong in this area, below you can find my hand-picked hotel recommendations for all budgets:
Luxury (US$180 and up)
- The Jacquard, Autograph Collection – This is one of the top places that you can book if you want to enjoy a rooftop pool, stunning rooms, free Wi-Fi, a delicious daily breakfast and more!
- JW Marriott Denver at Cherry Creek – If you’ve come to Denver to splurge and enjoy a luxurious stay, look no further than this hotel! It offers a 4-star service and the rooms are simply stunning, with gorgeous views!
Middle-priced (US$130 – US$180)
- Residence Inn Denver Cherry Creek – This cool mid-range property is my recommendation for those of you looking for a great value for the money. It has everything you might need and more!
- Hampton Inn & Suites Denver-Cherry Creek – Free Wi-Fi, clean and beautiful rooms and a friendly staff – these are just some of the advantages of staying here!
Budget (up to US$130)
- Staybridge Suites Denver – Cherry Creek – This cool 3-star property is one of the top choices for all those that are on a tight budget that want to be based in one of the most beautiful areas – Cherry Creek!
- Holiday Inn Denver-Cherry Creek – Here’s another option that’s just as great if you want a cheap accommodation with a great service. Just check out the pictures, you’ll surely love it!
Highland is my recommendation for all hipsters and youngsters out there looking for an exciting trip while in Denver! This area is scattered with great restaurants, pubs, modern cafes and interesting shops, so there will be something to do here at all times.
In fact, Highland neighborhood is divided into Lower Highland (LoHi) and Highland Square and below you’ll find great accommodation recommendations in both of these areas:
Luxury (US$220 and up)
- The Comma Hotel – This superb 5-star aparthotel is an amazing choice if you love bright and clean rooms and a great location, close to all the important attractions nearby.
- Fairfield by Marriott Denver Downtown – If you still didn’t find your dream place here, I have another great recommendation! This property awaits with free Wi-Fi, a very good breakfast and comfy rooms.
Middle-priced (US$150 – US$220)
- Lumber Baron Inn and Gardens – If you’re on the search for a cozy and charming bed and breakfast, this one’s for you! All rooms have private bathrooms and they’re just perfect for a comfortable night’s sleep!
- Hampton Inn & Suites Denver-Speer Boulevard – Here’s another great choice if you’re looking for value! This one awaits with a daily hot breakfast, clean rooms and a super friendly staff!
Budget (up to US$150)
Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any real budget hotels in this neighborhood. I recommend checking out the budget section for Capitol Hill or Central Business District (or in any other neighborhood in this post), or Airbnb here.
Best apartments in Denver
If you’re the type of traveler that seeks a homey, comfy atmosphere while you’re traveling to a foreign destination, then booking an apartment instead of a hotel room might be one of the best ideas for you. Apartments are also great for people that want to save some money on accommodation (as they tend to be cheaper than hotel rooms, especially in the US) or for larger groups that want to stay together, such as a family, for example.
Below I have selected the 6 best apartments on Airbnb for your stay, all grouped by budget and located in the city center:
Luxury (US$130 and up)
- 16th St ❂ Convention Center ❂ Denver Paradi5e – Yes, it’s possible to enjoy some luxury while staying in an apartment – and this cool loft is the perfect example. It’s ideal for up to 7 guests!
- Breathtaking Condo – LoDo – Walk Everywhere – This beautiful and clean condominium is another superb place located right in the center, close to all the important landmarks and attractions!
Middle-priced (US$90 – US$130)
- Room in Cozy Duplex in Cap Hill – If you’re looking for a cozy, local atmosphere during your trip, make sure to book this room in Capitol Hill! It has great reviews and it offers an even better service.
- Private Room/Bath/Level of House – This one’s another excellent choice if you want to be in the historic center of Capitol Hill, walking distance to countless exciting restaurants and attractions!
Budget (up to US$90)
- Beautiful Private Basement Suite near Downtown – If you’re on a tight budget, booking a private room in a shared apartment might be one of the wisest choices that you can make, and this one is the perfect example! It’s in a cool Victorian house and you can also use the kitchen if you want.
- RINO/ FIVE POINTS – Best Walk Score – Last but not least, this small but comfortable room is another excellent choice for all those of you that don’t want to spend all their budget on accommodation!
BONUS 1: Marijuana-friendly hotels in Denver
Colorado was one of the first states in the USA to legalize the recreational consumption of weed. As of 2014, people can buy and smoke marijuana in Denver as well and there are even some hotels that allow it and offer some facilities for this.
If you’re interested in some relaxation time, (no worries, many people go there just for this!) here are my recommended cannabis-friendly hotels in Denver where you can book a room:
- The Adagio Bed and Breakfast – This one’s my top recommendation for all those of you looking for marijuana-friendly hotels in Denver! The atmosphere here is very chill and it surely allows it; they even have a terrace where you can smoke!
- Lumber Baron Inn and Gardens – Here’s another good one on my list of weed-friendly hotels in Denver! This one has a super cool spa bath where you can relax and unwind!
- Renaissance Denver Stapleton Hotel – Are you looking for some nice hotels in Denver with a balcony where you can smoke? This one’s a great example and it’s 420-friendly! And the outdoor pool is a great plus as well.
BONUS 2: Best hotels near Denver International Airport
Denver International Airport (DEN) is the main airport of the city and the place where you’ll be landing if you’re arriving to the city by plane. The airport is located 23 miles / 37 km from Downtown, which is quite some distance (40 minutes by car), so booking a hotel room that’s close to the airport might save you some precious time and sleep if you have a very early/late flight.
If you decide to do so, here are the 3 best Denver airport hotels (one for each type of budget):
- (Luxury) The Westin Denver International Airport – Here’s my recommendation for luxury travelers that want to be super close to the airport! It awaits with a 4-star service and it’s right at the airport, so it doesn’t get better than this!
- (Middle-priced) Quality Inn & Suites Denver International Airport – This is a great mid-range place located 9 km from the airport. A cool perk is that they have an airport shuttle that you can use – such a great plus!
- (Budget) Denver Airport Cornerstay – This property is very affordable and it’s located 8.8 km away from the airport. It’s a cute and comfy homestay that’s just perfect for a comfortable night’s sleep!
Yay, you have reached the end of my complete guide on Denver accommodation! I hope you found this post useful and I hope you already found your dream place in one of my lists above.
In this post I have told you everything you need to know about the 4 best areas to stay in Denver, together with my hand-picked hotel recommendations in each of them. I have also given you some great airport hotel and apartment recommendations, so you can have everything you might need in one place!
Are you heading to Denver soon? Do you have any other questions or concerns? Let me know in the comments below and I’ll gladly help!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!