Planning a trip to this little town in Colorado? Steamboat Springs is the perfect destination for ski lovers and hot springs fans, but finding a place to stay can prove to be more difficult than you would think… Fear not! Together we will find the best places to stay in Steamboat Springs!
There are two distinct areas to stay in Steamboat Springs and the one you choose will depend entirely on your priorities.
The best area here is near the Steamboat Mountain Resort. There you’ll find a wide range of hotels, from luxury 4-star hotels to lodges and unique ski-in-ski-out accommodations that offer a winter shuttle service to the gondola area and a kids vacation center. However, in this post, you’ll also find a list of hotels near the hot springs, right in Downtown Steamboat Springs.
Don’t run off just yet! Because right at the end, you’ll also find a bonus with some awesome cabins that I want all to myself! Honestly, don’t miss your chance and book your favorite hotel or cabin in advance, this town is small but super popular!
Colorado never ceases to amaze me! So let’s start this virtual trip so you can get a taste of its beauty as well!
If you are in a hurry
Eager to book your hotels right now? Then have a look below at this shortlist of the best places to stay in Steamboat Springs, all located near the Mountain Resort:
Sheraton Steamboat Resort
Best luxury hotel
An Airbnb with amazing reviews
Homewood Suites By Hilton
Best value for money
Residence Inn by Marriott
Best affordable accommodation in the center
Here is a map that will help you visualize the hotels in Steamboat Springs that I’ll talk about in this post:
1. Steamboat Mountain Resort – where to stay for skiing & hiking
Different from other resort towns, Steamboat has a unique charm that you’ll get to know and love during your holiday! It’s relatively a small town, especially when you compare it to other places to stay in Colorado, but that only adds to its authenticity!
As you may know, this place is famous for the Steamboat Mountain Resort! The area around the ski resort is unofficially known as “The Mountain” and is filled with hotels, villas, and all sorts of other accommodations close to the ski lifts and with spectacular mountain views!
Steamboat Springs is pretty small but the ski resort sure brings many people here. That’s why I recommend booking your stay in Steamboat in advance, to avoid missing out, especially during the ski season!
Most hotels are centered around Gondola Square, where you’ll find most ski lifts, hiking trails, shops, and plenty of cafes where you can continue your apres ski adventures.
Are you ready to ride the Outlaw Mountain Coaster and try the champagne powder snow in Steamboat Springs? No wonder this city has put out more participants in the Winter Olympics than any other town! They train in the best conditions!
Okay, let’s check out the hotels where to stay in Steamboat Springs near the ski resort!
Luxury (US$250 and up)
- Sheraton Steamboat Resort Villas – Relax in the outdoor heated pool after a day of adventures at this Steamboat resort that has a garden and a shared lounge area. I’m sure you’ll dream of a good massage after all the skiing! So run quickly to the spa center once you’re back. The accommodation offers ski storage space, 3 restaurants, and room service.
- The Steamboat Grand – Wake up early, buy your lift tickets, and hit the ski slopes, but not before you grab some breakfast at the on-site restaurant of this luxurious resort that’s within walking distance from the ski area in Steamboat Springs. When you come back, head to the Grand Spa for a massage or hop straight in the hot tub.
- Trailhead Lodge – I love the design of this place! It looks so cozy and comfortable as if you’re at home. Trailhead Lodge has rooms with a fireplace and it features a private gondola to the mountain resort. But the things you’ll be most excited about are the 3 hot tubs plus a lovely outdoor pool!
- Chalet Val D’Isere – This place looks so magical! Especially when it’s covered in snow! During that time, you can warm up by the indoor fireplace and drink a cup of tea! But don’t worry, you’ll have plenty of things to do when the snow is gone, like chilling on the terrace or in the hot tub.
Mid Range (US$150 – US$250)
- Homewood Suites By Hilton – Gather up by the outdoor fireplace of this hotel in Steamboat Springs that offers breakfast and free wifi. Each guest room has tea and coffee makers so you can fix up something early in the morning and then go for a dip in the swimming pool or chill in the indoor hot tub!
- Ptarmigan Inn – I love summer but doesn’t it look so magical when everything is covered in snow? Especially when you’re in a place like Steamboat Springs! Set at the resort’s base, this hotel offers ski-in and ski-out access plus a daily apres-ski happy hour so you can end the day right! Then you’re free to relax in the outdoor hot tub and sauna for as long as you want!
- Holiday Inn – Get up early and catch the free shuttle to the Steamboat Ski Area to buy your lift tickets, but not before you grab something to eat at the restaurant and drink some coffee (of course)! When you come back, head straight to the outdoor pool for a quick swim, or if your muscles are too sore from all the skiing, simply soak in the hot tub all night long.
Budget (up to US$100)
- Residence Inn by Marriott – Get some hot cocoa and sit in front of the outdoor fireplace at night while watching the starry skies! This hotel is 1 mile away from Gondola Square, and it has family rooms, a hot tub, and an outdoor pool. Yampa River Botanic Park is within walking distance, so you can explore around that area as well if you don’t feel like skiing or hiking.
- Snow Flower Condos – Conveniently located near the base of Steamboat Ski Resort, these bedroom condominiums come with a fully-equipped kitchen and a lounge area with a gas fireplace. Who doesn’t love warming up in front of a fireplace after several hours spent skiing?
2. Downtown Steamboat – best place to stay near hot springs
As you might’ve guessed from the name of this location, another reason why this town in Colorado (just 3 hours away from Denver) is popular among tourists is the numerous hot springs!
You’ll find most of these hot springs in Downtown Steamboat, which is 2 miles away from the Gondola Square and the Mountain area.
Downtown Steamboat is also great for people looking for budget accommodations. This is also the oldest part of Steamboat Springs, where you’ll find some cultural attractions such as the Steamboat Art Museum and the Tread of Pioneers Museum.
The hot springs are spread around Downtown Steamboat, but some of the best ones that you should check out while you’re here are Old Town Hot Springs and Soda Springs.
Although most of the resorts are set in the other part of town in mountain village, Downtown Steamboat is nestled near Emerald Mountain, and there are some ski areas here too like Howelsen Hill.
Downtown Steamboat is a bit more urbanized than the area around Steamboat Ski Resort, and luckily for you, that means that you’ll probably find more places to eat, restaurants, and bars! And let’s not forget about the multitude of hotels, let’s check them out:
Luxury (US$250 and up)
- The Bristol Hotel – I know you’re probably thinking about Bristol in the UK! But it’s not from there, although it shares the same charm! This super cozy hotel has an Italian restaurant on-site that serves delicious dishes that you should try before visiting all the hot springs. And if you haven’t had enough hot tubs, you’ll be happy to know that there’s one here as well!
Mid Range (US$150 – US$250)
- Mariposa Lodge – I love this lodge! This is my kind of place to stay in Steamboat Springs! It’s nestled around trees and surrounded by nature. The accommodation has a rustic design and rooms that have a spa bath for perfect relaxation!
- Rabbit Ears Motel – Tucked away between the trees, this motel has super spacious rooms and it’s close to Old Town Hot Springs. Put some comfortable shoes on and start exploring around the accommodation. There are tons of natural sites here that you should check out too!
- Nordic Lodge – Ready to visit this quirky town in Colorado? I’m sure you can’t wait to chill all day in the hot springs and go skiing! Nordic Lodge has all the facilities you need for a successful holiday, including a hot tub and seasonal outdoor pool, for the days when you feel like doing nothing and just chill at the accommodation.
- Legacy Vacation Resorts – This place looks so cozy that all I want to do is crawl up in a blanket and get a cup of tea or hot cocoa! Set not too far from the Yampa River Botanic Park, this great budget place to stay in Steamboat Springs has an indoor pool and a hot tub. At night you can gather up by the fire pit and warm up after a day of being in the cold!
|👑 Luxury price:||$250|
|💵 Mid Range:||$150|
|💰 Accommodation prices:||Medium|
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:||Sheraton Steamboat Resort Villas|
|💵 Best mid-range hotel:||Homewood Suites By Hilton|
|👛 Best budget hotel:||Residence Inn by Marriott|
|🎿 Ski season:||November – April|
|🌲 Top cabin:||Woods Cabin|
BONUS: Best cabins in Steamboat Springs
Steamboat Springs, CO is the perfect place to visit when you want to disconnect from everything, turn off your phone and just reconnect with nature!
Just like other Colorado towns, Steamboat Springs promises a holiday where you can relax all day long, go on hiking trips, and chill in the spa centers and hot tubs! Plus, it’s the perfect spot for a ski vacation!
I know many of you will look for cabins or similar types of accommodations to stay in Steamboat Springs, CO. So check out the list below as I have made it just for you with the best ones around.
All these cabins range in prices from US$190 – US$350 and are listed in order from most to least expensive:
- Private Cabin – Set in Soda Creek in Downtown Steamboat Springs, CO, this charming cabin has everything for your stay! It can accommodate up to 6 people and it has a kitchen and a living room. Get a book, and a cup of tea and head to the little garden to sit for a bit and enjoy the tranquility.
- Chalet Chipmunk – This chalet looks so dreamy! I love how the lounge area has large windows that open up to a huge balcony where you can sit, enjoy a nice glass of wine and just look at those stunning views of Steamboat Springs, CO. It’s set near the Steamboat premier mountain resort, and it accommodates up to 8 people.
- Woods Cabin – Planning a romantic trip to Steamboat Springs, CO? Or maybe a super fun getaway with your friends? Then you’ll love this cabin which can accommodate up to 6 people. Tucked away between the trees, this cabin is pretty secluded, and it has a kitchen. Enjoy your morning coffee on the patio while listening to the birds singing, and then be ready to explore the hiking trails in this beautiful forest!
- Wildhorse – This cabin is perfect for tourists who want to stay in Steamboat Springs, CO near the ski resort and Gondola Square. It’s a bit more modern than the rest, and it can fit up to 4 people. The cabin has a kitchen and a balcony from where you can admire the mountain views.
Frequently asked questions about hotels in Steamboat Springs
♨️ Is Steamboat Springs, CO worth visiting?
Yes! Steamboat Springs is home to the famous mountain resort where many tourists come to spend their holidays. Plus it also has many hot springs!
🏨 What hotel is at the base of Steamboat Ski Resort?
The Steamboat Grand sits at the base of the mountain resort and it offers views of the mountains and Yampa Valley. It has a year-round outdoor pool, a spa center plus many other great facilities.
📅 How many days do you need in Steamboat Springs?
You may want to spend 2 or 3 days in Steamboat Springs, CO, especially if you’re going skiing or if you want to explore Downtown Steamboat Springs and visit the Strawberry Park Hot Springs.
What a place! I told you Colorado is a super fascinating holiday destination!
Let’s quickly go over what we’ve talked about in this super detailed guide with the best places to stay in Steamboat Springs, CO. In the first part of the post, you’ll find the main 2 areas in the town plus a list of hotels from most to least expensive.
After the main section of hotels, we went through a bonus section with some amazing cabins in Steamboat Springs that you shouldn’t miss out on!
I know that I usually offer too many options, but that’s only so that you can make the best decisions. If you’re still not convinced which place to book, have a look at my 2 favorite ones:
- Sheraton Steamboat Resort Villas – A fabulous hotel with an outdoor swimming pool near the ski resort
- Homewood Suites By Hilton – The perfect mid-range option near the mountain with a hot tub and bbq facilities
As I mentioned above, these accommodations are some of the best ones in Steamboat Springs, CO, so I highly recommend booking as early as possible (especially during the ski season).
For now, this is where I leave you! I hope you have the best time hitting the slopes, chilling in the outdoor hot tubs, and exploring Fish Creek Falls and the Rocky Mountains!
If you have any other questions about this town, and Yampa Valley or suggestions for our readers, leave me a comment below, and I’ll answer as soon as I can!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!