If you like history and wine, Bordeaux is a great option for you!
Bordeaux is a wonderful port city in South Western France, on Garonne river and a great destination for all travelers interested in history, gastronomy, arts, sightseeing, museums and, of course… lots of wine!
If you have decided to go there, congrats, you will have such a great time! But now you will now need to find where to stay in Bordeaux for the most unforgettable experience, and luckily for you, I’m here to help! In this post I want to share with you my recommendations on the best hotels in Bordeaux.
Are you ready? Let’s go!
Since the city is considerably big, I suggest the city center as being one of the top places to stay, so you will be walking distance away from the Old Town and all the important local attractions such as Place de la Bourse or the Place de la Victoire.
As for the perfect Bordeaux accommodation for your trip, let me help you narrow down your options. Below I have hand-picked the top options with fabulous reviews, facilities and sorted them by price so you can have a good view of the benefits:
Best hotels in Bordeaux, France
I will share with you my top options for Bordeaux hotels, B&Bs, apartments, and hostels so you can see which is the best fit for you. But first, know that the best accommodations are the first ones to get sold out! I recommend that you book your accommodation as soon as you know your holiday dates!
Here are my recommendations on where to stay in Bordeaux:
Luxury (€180 and up)
Let’s start with a selection of luxury and boutique-styled accommodations which will make you feel like part of a fairy tale:
- La Grande Maison de Bernard Magrez– Looking for a boutique hotel? THis is probably the number one in the list of Bordeaux luxury hotels, this 5-star hotel will give you the impression of arriving at a castle. It is set in an 18th century private mansion and it awaits with beautiful rooms as well as new facilities and amenities! It’s an excellent place if you want to feel exactly like a queen or king during your stay in the historic center!
- Yndo Hôtel – This is one of the best boutique accommodations located in a 19th century building! I stayed in this hotel and loved it! Yndo hotel is a very unique establishment that combines and transmits elegance and comfort throughout the rooms. If you want to have some fun with the uniqueness of the hotel, their five rooms have a very cozy décor! I stayed in the “Crazy Room”, which was very chic! I totally recommend this place! It’s in a great central area, close to the Grand Théâtre of Bordeaux as well!
- Hôtel Le Palais Gallien – Elegance and class are seen throughout the hotel, from the entrance to the bathroom in each room. This establishment has plenty of new and improved facilities and it is one of the few Bordeaux hotels with a pool in the area of the city center! The city center itself is only a 10-minute walk away, so be ready for some nice days of food, shopping, and the best wine!
- Hôtel Singulier Bordeaux – The most difficult decision during your stay at this 4-star hotel will be choosing a room with the city view or garden view! This charming boutique hotel in the area of the historic city centre is very stylish, with uniquely designed rooms and within walking distance from the tram stop. Make sure to book your room here for the ultimate stay in Bordeaux!
Mid-range (€90 – €180)
- Quality Sainte-Catherine – This is a small hotel found in an area one kilometer from the city center; their rooms are flexible to fit a single person or up to 3 people if you are traveling with friends. The facilities and amenities are new and very good, so you will have everything you need here! It is easily found 200m from a tram station, making it easy for tourists to ride around the city if you are in no mood to walk! Definitely a very good mid-range place to stay during your travel to Bordeaux!
- Cœur de City Hôtel Bordeaux Clemenceau – This is a comfortable place from the 18th century renovated in 2011, located close to a pedestrian area. The property’s location is right in the Golden Triangle of Bordeaux, close to Place Gambetta from which you can find many shops and museums, so I surely recommend it if you’re looking for places to stay in the historic heart of the city!
- La Belle Endormie B&B – This calm B&B is named after “The Sleeping Beauty,” and it’s just perfect for a great night’s sleep. During your stay, you can use any of the great facilities offered like yoga classes, spa, and massages. I recommend it to all those of you that will travel to Bordeaux soon and are looking for a good value for the money you’ll be paying!
- Best Western Premier Hotel Bayonne Etche Ona – The hotel is made up of two 18-century buildings, each with a unique sense of decoration of art deco or travel souvenirs. The bedrooms all have private bathrooms and their decoration is colorful but elegant. All in all, this is an awesome property to book your room!
Budget (up to €90)
You already know that there are many different accommodation styles based on travelers’ budgets and the amenities they offer. If there is anything that might be a bit confusing about places to stay in Bordeaux is the difference between a hostel and a budget hotel, this is why I share with you the top options for both categories, so you can decide which one is better for your way of travel!
- Hôtel Particulier – Bordeaux St-Jean – This accommodation is among the best cheap accommodations in Bordeaux – it is a combination of small apartments available for guests, with or without a terrace. You can also rent a bicycle at the property or go hiking nearby, which is a very nice facility! All in all, make sure to book your room here if you’re looking for excellent budget places to stay!
- Maison Brisson – This accommodation does not actually fit under a hotel or hostel category, but it is a guesthouse accommodation, comfortable for two people per room with its own private bathroom. It is located in Talence, which is slightly on the outskirts of the known center, but still less than 3 km from the most popular landmarks! You can stay here for sure if you’re looking for places to stay that offer a very good value!
- Central Hostel – This accommodation is one of the top places to stay if you’re looking for dorm rooms (no private rooms), but they are of good quality and they’re located less than a kilometer from the city center. This accommodation is located super close to Saint Catherine Street, right in the heart of the area around the historic center which is the longest pedestrian street in Europe!
- Hostel 20 Bordeaux – This friendly Bordeaux hostel is set in an 18th century building so you can get a historic feeling from the inside, and you can even see the original beams at the common room. You can also ask for a bicycle to rent at the property while making your way around Bordeaux.
Top apartments in Bordeaux
When searching for places to stay when traveling, I share your feeling of being overwhelmed by so many options, which is why I am categorizing the Bordeaux accommodations for easy selection!
How about choosing a private, small studio apartment or a big apartment for your whole group? Apartments or even Bordeaux holiday rentals do not only give you more flexibility for cooking and using more room to spread your shopping bags, but might even be cheaper to some extent compared to hotels! Let’s see which are some of the best Bordeaux apartments out there:
Luxury (€150 and up)
- *Rooftop view* Car park – This is probably the best of Bordeaux apartments, located in the center, close to all the important attractions in the center. Great for all those of you that want a spoiled stay in the city of wine! Definitely one of the top choices out there if you’re looking for luxurious apartments in the heart of Bordeaux!
- La Maison Fernand – This bed & breakfast captivates the guests with its city views and terrace, located right in the city center. Although the property requires you to book a minimum stay of 2 nights, it is perfectly located to enjoy all the famous attractions, while also having enough time to do some shopping at Rue Sainte-Catherine!
- Le Clos d’Emile – I recommend staying in this Bordeaux bed and breakfast for their impeccable decorations and friendly staff always ready to help the guests out. The elegance of the location can let you believe it is a boutique hotel! You will love the rooms as well as their location on a quiet street next to the Public Gardens!
Middle-priced (from €60 to €150)
- Gabylou – This apartment offers a small one-bedroom apartment for two people as well as a bigger apartment with two bedrooms that fit four people. The interior rooms are simple, clean, and lovely decorated to combine with the furniture. The units are within 700 m from Saint-André Cathedral and Great Bell Bordeaux among the few attractions you must visit.
- La Maison Odeia Bordeaux Centre – Most bedrooms in the Maison Odeia are fit for two people; you can select between the size of the bed and the chance to have a balcony or not. Go for a nice stroll around the B&B and find the Natural History Museum, Esplanade des Quinconces, and other interesting attractions, all less than a kilometer away.
- Appartement au cœur de Bordeaux – This apartment comes equipped with everything you may need during your stay! Go out for a nice day in town and then head back to this awesome and comfy apartment surrounded by peace and calm, perfect for a good night’s sleep! Definitely one of the top mid-range options in the city of wine!
Budget (up to €60)
- Beau studio center ville – The apartment studio is small, but it has anything you could imagine needing for a short trip to Bordeaux. Most local attractions are found less than 2 km from the property, but you’re also very close to a tram stop, so if needed you can move around easily.
- Jolie chambre dans le coeur de St Michel – Here’s an excellent option in the city of wine! This private room in an apartment is a very good choice if you want to save some money, while also being right in the middle of it all! Clean, cozy and ideal for an affordable trip!
- Private room in house hosted by Charlotte – This is another one of those good budget-friendly rooms in the city of wine! It’s charming, cute and just perfect for a comfortable night’s sleep after a full day of exploring Bordeaux!
Best accommodation for families in Bordeaux
Are you planning on traveling with your family to Bordeaux? No problem! Let me share with you some amazing Bordeaux family accommodations with all the needed facilities and amenities you could think of. And, of course, all of them are located in the city center for your convenience!
Check them out below and pick your favorite:
Luxury (€180 and up)
- Villa Reale – This is an impeccably clean and beautifully decorated apartment in the Bordeaux city center which offers three accommodation options that can hold between two and six people if you travel with a group. This style of hotel is perfect when traveling with more people, also because of the fact that it might be somehow more affordable for everyone, while still being super French and classy!
- InterContinental Le Grand Hotel Bordeaux – This accommodation is a top boutique hotel in Bordeaux located right in the historic area of Bordeaux. This 5-star hotel provides luxury facilities and an amazing contemporary design for the rooms and great service as well. Make sure to book your room at the Grand Hotel if you want to enjoy beautiful rooms and the top service during your travel vacation!
Mid-range (€100 – €180)
- Duplex Saint-Jean – SuperBordeaux – This accommodation has enough room and beds for up to seven people. The best feature of this hotel is probably that you can head up to the terrace to enjoy the city view with a glass of good wine! The city center is a 10-minute tram ride away, while you can also get there by walking.
- Golden Tulip Bordeaux Euratlantique – This is a great 4-star hotel in Bordeaux with reasonable prices, a fabulous breakfast, while also being conveniently located less than one kilometer away from a train station and tram stop. After a long day, be sure you are heading to a nice, quiet area to rest and enjoy the city view from the rooms or the hotel terrace!
Budget (up to €100)
- Residhotel Galerie Tatry – This hotel is an actual combination of apartments with modern décor. They’re located in one of the top areas (the center), and they all have a kitchenette, microwave, and fridge ideal for four people. For the adventurers out there, there is a rock climbing place very close to the residency!
- Citotel le Chantry – Here’s an excellent choice if you’re planning to visit the city on a tight budget together with your family! This is one of the most budget-friendly places; the rooms are little but very clean and they also have several very good facilities and amenities. Plus, staying here means you’ll be close to tons of awesome restaurants in the district!
BONUS 1: 6 Best winery hotels in Bordeaux
In case you want to enjoy some authentic Bordeaux wine during your stay in France, then a very good idea would be to get out of the city and stay in an accommodation in the Bordeaux region, very close to the wineries! Luckily for you, there are many awesome options out there!
Please note that these accommodations are NOT in the center or even the city of Bordeaux, so I recommend them to people who are looking for places to stay for the ultimate Bordeaux wine experience! These are also great if you have decided to rent a car during your vacation, as you’ll be around 30 minutes to 1 hour from Bordeaux city!
Here are your top choices:
- Les Sources des Caudalie – This beautiful 5-star chateau is an excellent choice if you want to be 20 minutes from Bordeaux by car! It has superb rooms and it’s also one of the top options to enjoy some wine in style!
- La Closerie de Fronsac – This beautiful 17th mansion is located 75 km from Bordeaux and it’s a superb option if you want to be close to the vineyards and enjoy some delicious wine! You can stay here for years and you just won’t get bored!
- Château du Tertre – Here’s another superb château located 25 km from Bordeaux and I totally recommend it to anyone that wants to enjoy some wine while exploring this beautiful region! Trust me, the rooms here are quite superb!
- Château Hôtel Grand Barrail – If you’re looking for a very beautiful 5-star 19th century chateau located 3 km from Saint Emilion, this one’s for you! During your stay here you can sip on wine, relax in the beautiful rooms in the village and try some yummy dishes!
- Chateau Cordeillan-Bages – This 4-star mansion is actually a CASTLE! It is located in some former wine stores, 45 km from Bordeaux. The rooms are superb and the service is impeccable!
- Château Pape Clément – This superb 26th century mansion is surrounded by no less than 60 hectares of vineyards and it is located only 7 km from Bordeaux center! Book your stay here if you want to enjoy beautiful rooms and delicious wine!
BONUS 2: Where to stay near Bordeaux Airport
Maybe you are not completely convinced of the idea of staying in the city center or you have to catch an early morning flight. If this is the case, a very good idea might be for you to stay nearby the airport!
Bordeaux Airport (BOD) is around 20 km from the center, which means around 25 minutes by car with no traffic.
Let me share with you some hotels near Bordeaux airport, which are located in the Mérignac area. All of the options below have great facilities and reviews:
- (Luxury) Kyriad Prestige Bordeaux Aeroport – This awesome 4-star hotel is located 4.2 km from the airport and it offers an airport shuttle that you can use – so great! Some great facilities here include a swimming pool, an on-site bar, restaurant and more!
- (Mid-range) Campanile Bordeaux Ouest – Mérignac Aéroport – This is a 3-star hotel located a fast 6-minute drive from Bordeaux-Mérignac Airport, with a 24-hour front desk. It is a 20-minute drive from the center as well. Among facilities, there is a fitness center, an on-site restaurant, and a coffee maker in each room.
- (Budget) Kyriad Bordeaux – Merignac Aéroport – This budget option is one of the best budget places to stay for two travelers. It is a 5-minute drive from the airport and 15-minutes to the center. This is a great motel-style accommodation nicely decorated and located in a calm environment.
Type in your dates below to find the best rates:
I hope now it will be easier for you to choose from the best places to stay in Bordeaux for your visit! The choice is yours, but I can assure you that your visit and stay in this city is entirely worth the time and money invested. There is no best or worst option, only a different level of comfort and distance from the main city attractions, so make sure to choose yours from one of my lists above!
I hope I gave you some valuable advice in this article and you will use it for the next time you travel to Bordeaux! In case you need some more travel inspiration for this wonderful city, I recommend you also check out my post on Things to do in Bordeaux to complete your itinerary.
If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to leave them below. I am more than happy to answer and help out!
Are you planning to travel to Bordeaux soon? I wish you a great time there!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!