Hey you lucky traveler, and welcome to one of my favorite destinations in Southern California, Big Bear Lake! This place got its name a very long time ago when a large number of big grizzly bears were calling this area their home.
Believe it or not, Big Bear Lake is man-made, and it’s the ultimate travel destination all year round! Especially for people who live in California, as the weather offers the best of both worlds. Meaning you can go skiing in the winter and swimming in Big Bear Lake during the summer months!
Yep, Big Bear Lake is indeed one of the best destinations, and it’s not only me who is saying that. Hollywood movie producers also agree, or they wouldn’t have filmed so many tv series and epic motion pictures, like Gone with the Wind, here.
Enough chit-chat. I’ve almost divulged all the awesome things about Big Bear Lake, but I saved the most important one at the end: where to stay in Big Bear Lake. It’s mostly a question, and I’m here to give you all the answers, so scroll down and let’s find the hotels and top vacation rentals in town!
Before that, it’s my duty to inform you that most of these places sell out super fast, especially during winter and summer, so I highly recommend booking everything in advance!
If you are in a hurry
Don’t worry if you don’t have the time to go through the whole post! I’ve made a shortlist of the best accommodations, all located in Big Bear City
Best luxury hotel
An Airbnb with amazing reviews
Best value for money
Best affordable accommodation in the center
Below you have a map of the best areas where to stay in Big Bear Lake that will help you visualize better all the places that I will be talking about in this post:
for the lake views
1. Big Bear City – where to stay for the first time
Are you craving some adventure? Or maybe you wish to escape the city life and spend some time outdoors chasing the sunsets and admiring the beautiful views. Either way, you’re in good hands because Big Bear City will guarantee you all that and more!
Located on the eastern shore of the Big Bear Lake, the area is situated just a short drive from most Southern California cities, and it’s perfect for anyone visiting the site for the first time. Whether you’re coming here during the summer months or winter, you’ll find plenty of things to do.
Of course, most activities here include spending time in nature, hiking, or skiing. Still, there are also some fascinating museums that I think you’ll enjoy visiting, such as the Big Bear Valley Historical Museum.
Did you know that many Hollywood movies and tv series were filmed near Big Bear Lake? Gone with the Wind, I’ll be home for Christmas, and The last of the Mohicans are just a few of them
With easy access to big grocery stores, restaurants, hiking trails, and golf courses, Big Bear City is one of the best places to stay in Big Bear Lake. That’s precisely why I recommend booking your hotel in advance, no matter the season, as this destination is super popular!
I love this vacation rental. Everything from the rustic design to the fireplace makes this place look so cozy! And what better way to enjoy those beautiful views than sitting in a hot tub, relaxing and taking it all in! The Big Bear Lake accommodation has 2 rooms, a kitchen, and free wifi.
Other accommodation options in Big Bear City
Located just a short drive from Big Bear Lake this cabin has family rooms and a garden
Warm-up in front of the fireplace during the winter days in this vacation rental that offers BBQ facilities
Admire the mountain views in one of the best cabins in town that has a hot tub, a fireplace, and a kitchen
Things to do in Big Bear City
- Explore the hiking trails and admire the beautiful views in Pebble Plains
- Go horseback riding at the Baldwin Lake Stables
- Enjoy some tranquility at Baldwin Lake Ecological Reserve
- Visit the Big Bear Valley Historical Museum
- Swim in the Big Bear Lake during a private tour of the town
- Play some golf at the Hot Shot Miniature Golf
2. Big Bear Marina & the points – best place for lake views
For those of you who are visiting the town and want to find vacation rentals or cabins located as close as possible to the Big Bear Lake, I recommend the Marina & the Points area.
Situated just 5 miles (8 km) southwest of Big Bear City, the marina is home to many lakefront estates that were transformed into vacation rentals by the residents. Offering easy access to the Big Bear Lake, lots of hiking trails, and stunning mountain views, the Marina is perfect for any type of traveler, especially for those who want to relax all day long!
Although Big Bear Marina is a residential area, meaning you won’t find as many restaurants or shops as in other parts of the town, there still are a fair share of attractions which I’m sure you’ll love.
The biggest one is the Alpine Slide at Magic Mountain, which offers fun activities all year round. During the summer months, you can have fun in the water slides and during winter, try snow tubing!
This great town lodge offers different cabin rentals, and one of the best Big Bear Lake view rooms in the whole town! In the summer months, cool down by the pool and enjoy the sun, and in the winter warm up by the gas firepits. The vacation rental also offers family rooms and free parking.
Other accommodation options in Big Bear Marina
With easy access to skiing, a children’s playground, and the Big Bear Lake, this vacation rental is a keeper
Feel at home in this budget accommodation that offers excellent mountain views, a pool, and a balcony
Offering easy access to Big Bear Lake, this place is surrounded by mountains, and it has a hot tub!
Things to do in Big Bear Marina
- Enjoy the lake and mountain views in Boulder Bay Park
- Visit Cedar Lake, another famous filming location
- Explore the Pineknot Trail in Big Bear town
- Spend a fun day at Alpine Slide at Magic Mountain
- Buy souvenirs from the Gold Rush Mining Company Adventures in Big Bear Lake
3. Moonridge – where to stay in Big Bear Lake for skiing
For all my readers who love winter sports and adventure, this area will become your favorite part of Big Bear Lake! It’s located 3 miles (5 km) southwest of Big Bear City and it’s famously known as the village surrounding the Snow Summit Ski Resort.
Yep, here you can hit the slopes and stay at some of the best cabin rentals in town. Big Bear Lake is famous for its idyllic landscapes but just wait until you go up in the mountains, the views are pretty iconic!
At the base of the mountains, you’ll find plenty of shops, restaurants, and tons of old and newer vacation rentals owned by Big Bear Lake residents. And while I’m sure that the Mountain Resort will take most of your time, you should be aware that you can also engage in other activities such as golfing at the Bear Mountain Golf Course or visiting some cute animals at the Big Bear Alpine Zoo.
Now let’s see the best cabin rentals and Big Bear Lake hotels!
Ulitmate comfort, a modern yet rustic design, and some incredible mountain views make this place one of the best cabin rentals in Big Bear Lake! Come back from a whole day spent at the Snow Summit Ski Resort and warm up by the fireplace in this cabin that offers easy access to the hiking trails and which has a balcony and kitchen.
Other accommodation options in Moonridge
Located just a short drive from Big Bear Village this vacation rental offers a season pool and free parking
Offering easy access to the mountain resort this vacation rental has a hot tub and an indoor fireplace
Things to do in Moonridge
- Hit the slopes at the Snow Summit Ski Resort
- Visit the Big Bear Alpine Zoo in town
- Admire the mountain views at the Bear Mountain Resort
- Play some golf at the Bear Mountain Golf Course
- Go on a ziplining tour near Big Bear Lake
4. Big Bear Village – the best place to stay for families
Located 5 miles (8 km) southwest of Big Bear City, this area is super touristic and filled with attractions, making it the perfect place where to stay in Big Bear Lake if you’re traveling with your family.
Finding things to do on a family holiday can be hard sometimes when everyone has their preferences. But I’m sure that between all the outdoor activities like the hiking trails, and the indoor ones that you’ll find in the village, all parties will be equally happy with how your Big Bear Lake holiday will turn out in the end.
This part of town is also filled with small boutique stores and gift shops. Although that might be a bit boring for the kids, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. If the little ones get too tired of your shopping adventures, then I’m sure that spending a few hours on the zipline or bowling will put them in a good mood!
Yep, Big Bear Village offers something for every age group! But now let’s fin some cabin rentals.
This vacation rental is perfect for you and your family! It features spacious rooms, a restaurant, a bar, and a gift shop. When you’re not out and about exploring the town and the lake area, you can relax in your room, turn on the tv and spend a cozy night in.
Other accommodation options in Big Bear Village
Cozy cabins with easy access to Big Bear Lake that offer BBQ facilities, family rooms, and a kitchen
A budget option to stay in Big Bear Lake that has a terrace, family rooms, and rooms with a DVD player
If you’re a fan of cabin rentals, then this place which has a hot tub and offers lake views will be perfect for you
Things to do in Big Bear Village
- Take the kids to try ziplining at Action Tours California
- Go on a bike tour with the family near Big Bear Lake
- Spend a fun family night at Big Bear Bowling Barn
- Buy lots of souvenirs from the gift shops in Big Bear Village
- Admire the views of Big Bear Lake at Rotary Pine Knot Park
|👑 Luxury price:||$250|
|💵 Mid Range:||$150|
|💰 Accommodation prices:||Medium|
|📍 Best area:||Big Bear City|
|👪 Best area for families:||Big Bear Village|
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:||Rancho Pines|
|💵 Best mid-range hotel:||Green Cabin|
|👛 Best budget hotel:||Cathy’s Cottages|
BONUS: Best cabins to stay in Big Bear Lake
When you travel to such a beautiful place like Big Bear Lake, you want to find the best of the best vacation rentals. I say that because every time I visit a new destination that’s surrounded by nature, I look for accommodations that have either a rustic design, a fireplace, or large balconies where I can drink my coffee or tea and admire the views!
That’s why I thought it would be a good idea to help you guys find these unique Big Bear Lake cabin rentals where you can relax and enjoy all the privacy you need! All the vacation rentals that I chose cost between US$400 – US$700, and they are listed in price order from most to least expensive.
So here are the best cabin rentals to stay in Big Bear Lake:
1. Stylish Cabin – How cool is this place? It’s tucked away between the trees, located just a short walk away from the Snow Summit Resort and 1 mile (2 km) from the Big Bear Lake. The cabin has 4 rooms and can fit up to 9 people. Equipped with an indoor fireplace, a kitchen, and a smart tv, this accommodation is the dream spot!
2. Rustic Place – Relax on the porch and make yourself a cup of tea to warm up after a long day spent at the mountain resort in this Big Bear Lake cabin that’s situated in Moonridge. The accommodation offers 4 rooms, a kitchen and it can fit up to 8 people. You’ll have access to a hot tub and of course, the cabin has an indoor fireplace in the lounge area.
3. Spacious House – I’m a massive fan of cabin rentals that have large windows, especially in a place like Big Bear Lake! This accommodation offers a stunning view over the town, and it’s located in Moonridge, less than a mile away from the Mountain Resort. The place has a fireplace, 2 rooms and it can fit up to 6 people.
4. Cozy Cabin – Sleep, eat, explore the Big Bear Lake area and repeat! That sounds like a good enough plan for your trip to this fantastic destination in Southern California. And this cabin is such a fantastic place that you won’t want to leave. It’s super cozy, comfortable, and located in Moonridge, less than a mile away from the Snow Summit Resort. It can accommodate up to 5 people, and it has 2 rooms, a kitchen, and a patio.
Frequently asked questions about Big Bear Lake
☀️ What is the best month to go to Big Bear?
Big Bear Lake offers lots of activities all year round. Still, if you’re going there for skiing, then I recommend visiting between December – March, or during the summer months May – late August if you want to try mountain biking or other outdoor activities.
💰 How much is it to rent a room in Big Bear?
A luxury hotel in Big Bear Lake, like Noon Lodge can cost up to US$250, a mid-range one like Green Cabin can reach up to US$150, and a budget accommodation like Cathy’s Cottages can cost US$80.
🏘️ Does Big Bear Lake have cabins?
Yes, you’ll find so many unique cabins in Big Bear Lake! Some of my favorite ones are the Stylish Cabin and the Rustic Place.
❄️ Where to stay in Big Bear for snow?
Moonridge is the best area where to stay in Big Bear Lake if all you want to do is check out the Snow Summit Resort and ski. There are many vacation rentals there, and one of the best ones is the Big Bear Chateau.
👶 Where to stay in Big Bear with toddlers?
Big Bear Village is the best place to stay in the area if you’re traveling with your family, as it offers a wide range of activities and great vacation rentals such as the Holiday Inn Resort.
What a fabulous location! I hope you’ll have as much fun finding where to stay in Big Bear Lake as I’ve had in writing this post for you guys!
I know there are so many excellent accommodations in the post, and it can be hard to decide, so here are my top 2 favorite options, both located in Big Bear City:
- Rancho Pines – A luxury cabin that has a hot tub
- Green Cabin – A rustic place with a garden
As I said earlier, all the accommodations sell out super fast here, so I highly recommend booking yours in advance to get the best deals and prices!
I hope you have a fun trip to Big Bear Lake. The town is fantastic, and I’m sure you’ll also fall in love with all the attractions there, like the Alpine Slide at Magic Mountain and the Snow Summit Ski Resort. If you want to know more about Big Bear Lake, do leave me a comment below, and I’ll make sure to answer it ASAP!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!