The world-famous Waikiki area in Oahu is one of the most sort after locations in the beautiful Hawaiian islands of the Pacific Ocean. Nowadays, this vibrant neighborhood hosts world-class shopping, incredible beaches like the famous Waikiki beach, fine dining restaurants, tones of entertainment, and of course plenty of hotels to help tourists to take advantage of all these attractions!
With such a wide choice of accommodation options, it can take you a lot of time to find the right one for your needs, so I decided to create this useful travel guide with the best hotels where to stay in Waikiki.
From the best luxury resorts to incredible beachfront hotels and options for those traveling on a budget, there is something for any pocket and taste… I even included a bonus with some romantic honeymoon hotels!
So let’s stop talking and check them out! But just a tip before we start: when you find the perfect hotel, make sure you book it immediately so you can reserve yourself a secure spot in paradise as places sell out super fast here!
Let’s jump right in!
If you are in a hurry
If you don’t have time to read the whole post and you need to book now, here you find the best Waikiki hotels, divided by price range:
- Best luxury hotel – The Royal Hawaiian
- Best boutique hotel – The Laylow
- Best value for money – Halepuna Waikiki
- Best affordable accommodation in the center – Queen Kapiolani Hotel
Check out this map to know where the best hotels in Waikiki Beach are located:
Luxury (US$550 and up)
- Halekulani – Located on Waikiki Beach overlooking Diamond Head, yet within walking distance of all the luxury shops, this is the perfect hotel in Waikiki if you want to splurge. Meaning “House Befitting Heaven” in Hawaiian, this luxury hotel hosts 3 restaurants, a live jazz lounge, an outdoor swimming pool, and a day spa. Here you will be welcomed with a fresh fruit bowl and signature chocolates in the spacious guest rooms, and you can have the best dinners at the oceanfront on-site restaurant… a real dream!
- Aston Waikiki Beach Tower – The Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel has a great location within walking distance of the world-famous Waikiki Beach and the Honolulu Zoo. But the property itself has a lot to offer like fully equipped guest rooms with views of the Pacific Ocean and cool amenities like barbecue grills, an open-air dining area, billiards, jet spa, Yoga classes, and more. And if you want to play golf, the Ala Wai golf course is just half a mile away! This is definitely one of the best luxury hotels in Waikiki Beach!
- The Ritz-Carlton Residences, Waikiki Beach Hotel – This 5-star Waikiki beach resort is just an 8-minute walk from the beach and combines homely conveniences with amenities of the best luxury resorts. The Ritz-Carlton Residences feature 552 ocean-view hotel rooms, which give you access to the best amenities including the highest infinity pool in Waikiki, a premier fitness center, a yoga room, and a movie theater. If you want to check out other hotels of this style, read this post about the best 5-star hotels in Kauai, another island in Hawaii.
- The Royal Hawaiian, Waikiki – The Royal Hawaiian is one of the best luxury hotels on the entire island, centrally located in the heart of Waikiki (one of the best areas where to stay in Honolulu!). This Waikiki beach resort offers all the comforts you need: a full-service spa to enjoy some deserved relaxation, an on-property bakery for the most delicious snacks, and an exclusive beach bar where you can sip refreshing cocktails. Here you can join beach activities and cool water sports during the day and attend entertainment with views of Diamond Head every night!
- Sheraton Waikiki – Sheraton Waikiki is located in Waikiki Beach within walking distance of the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. This is one of the best hotels in Waikiki Beach, perfect for any kind of traveler including groups of friends, families, or couples. In fact, here you can have some family fun on the 70-foot-long water slide, gaze at the best sunsets from the adult-only infinity pool or just relax with your special one in one of the Jacuzzis… What else can you ask for?
- Trump International Hotel Waikiki – Trump International Hotel Waikiki is an elegant, extravagant and modern hotel with a great location only 5 minutes walk from the beach. Check out the spacious guest rooms… you will fall in love! They range from one to three-bedroom suites or penthouse suites hosting up to 6 guests with breathtaking views of the famous Waikiki beach from your private balcony. Another plus? The property is pet friendly, so you can bring your four-legged friend with you!
Mid Range (US$300 – US$450)
- The Laylow, Autograph Collection – The Laylow is a boutique hotel and part of the Autograph Collection created by Marriott, offering luxury amenities but at a smaller scale with more affordable prices. This mid-century, modern hotel is centrally located close to the Diamond Head Crater Hike, beautiful beaches, and the International Market Place, filled with shopping centers, cafes, and restaurants… so you’ll have everything at your fingertips! The property also offers nightly entertainment and Hawaiian ice poolside!
- Halepuna Waikiki by Halekulani – Halepuna Waikiki is a 4-star condo-style resort with a central location in the heart of Waikiki Beach, perfect if you are looking for some relaxation! Here you will wake up with the best ocean views from one of the spacious rooms of the property, start your day with a delicious breakfast at the on-site restaurant, and have romantic strolls with your special one on the beach located just a few steps from the property… the perfect place to stay in Waikiki for families or couples!
- Prince Waikiki – Prince Waikiki, located a few steps from the beautiful Ala Moana Beach and Waikiki Beach, will offer you some of the best ocean views on the whole island! If you’re a foodie, you’ll be happy to know that here you’ll have access to delicious on-site dining options, including traditional Hawaiian food as well as authentic Japanese and international dishes. And I can’t not talk about the great modern amenities and facilities, including a full-service spa, a fitness center, and a quiet Library!
- Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Hilton Hawaiian Village – The Hilton is a huge Waikiki beach resort located on the northern strip of Waikiki beach. Here you’ll have access to an endless variety of activities and attractions including scuba diving with beautiful sea turtles, deep-sea fishing, and playing on top-rated golf courses. The property is a real village, and it even has its own lagoon with water activities like kayaking and paddle boarding… this is definitely the perfect place to stay in Waikiki Beach for families!
- Hyatt Centric Waikiki Beach – Hyatt Centric Waikiki Beach is an amazing beachfront hotel located in Honolulu, offering great value for the price and an amazing view of Diamond Head. The property also offers many cool amenities. Here you can have the best dinners or drinks at the on-site restaurant and bar, relax in the outdoor pool on the rooftop and stay in shape at the fitness center. The rooms are also great, offering floor-to-ceiling windows and breathtaking views.
- Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger – If you want to have easy access to the beach, this hotel is where you should stay in Waikiki Beach! Located only a 2-minute walk from the beach, this 4-star property will spoil you with an amazing restaurant serving Hawaiian cuisine, an outdoor swimming pool, a fitness center, a cool bar and great service. The hotel is also perfect to explore some popular points of interest like Waikiki Beach, Kuhio Beach, and Fort DeRussy Beach!
Budget (up to US$260)
- Queen Kapiolani Hotel – This is one of the best hotels in Waikiki Beach if you want to stay on a budget, offering some panoramic views of Diamond Head from the outdoor pool and sun terrace. I am sure you will love the spacious rooms of the hotel featuring traditional décor and a private balcony with ocean or city views, and its great location. In fact, the property will give you easy access to some great attractions and activities like the Honolulu Zoo, Kapiolani Park, and Ala Wai Golf Course.
- Wyndham Vacation Resorts Royal Garden at Waikiki – Do you want to have great service without having to spend a fortune? Then check out this amazing hotel in Waikiki, just a few minutes’ walk from the beach. Here you will finally enjoy some well-deserved relaxation, chilling at the outdoor swimming pool, healing your body at the onsite sauna, or sleeping in the comfy bed of your spacious room. The suites are clean and beautiful, boasting floor-to-ceiling windows, a private balcony, and a kitchen area.
- The Surfjack Hotel & Swim Club – The Surfjack Hotel is the perfect hotel if you want to have a romantic getaway with your special one on a low budget! Here you will stay in amazing vintage-inspired bungalows, cabanas, and suites, with optional in-room coffee and cocktail service, so you really won’t need to use any effort. The property also offers poolside entertainment, cultural activities and programs, and a restaurant serving food with organic ingredients sourced by local farmers.
- Ilima Hotel – This property offers great value for the price and is centrally located near the best shopping and dining options in Waikiki Beach. The rooms are spacious and offer everything you might need including a fully equipped kitchen, a balcony, air conditioning, a flat-screen TV, a seating area, and a full bath. Here you can relax in the sundeck, outdoor pool, or sauna, or join some cool activities in the surroundings, like exploring the nearby Honolulu Zoo, browsing the International Market Place, or playing golf!
- Imperial Hawaii Resort – If you want to stay in Waikiki Beach but you are traveling on a tight budget, this may be the best option for you! This resort offers the best location right in the middle of shopping centers, restaurants, and entertainment options, as well as just being steps away from Waikiki Beach. Here you can keep yourself entertained from morning to night, joining many recreational activities nearby, such as golf and tennis, and using the sports equipment rentals of the hotel!
- The Beach Waikiki Boutique Hostel – This is the ultimate budget hostel in Waikiki Beach, offering the best prices and a very cool atmosphere. In fact, thanks to the shared rooms and the common areas (like the picnic area and shared kitchen) it’s really easy to meet new people… so prepare to party and have a lot of fun! There is even a WhatsApp group chat so it was easier to connect with other travelers and keep in touch… in this property, you for sure won’t get bored!
|👑 Luxury price:||$550|
|💵 Mid Range:||$400|
|📅 How many days:||3-4|
|❤️ Honeymoon hotel:||The Surfjack Hotel|
|🌊Top hotel with a view||Halepuna Waikiki|
|🏖️ With a private beach||The Royal Hawaiian, Waikiki|
|☀️Best time to go:||April – June, September – December|
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:||The Royal Hawaiian|
|🏰 Most unique hotel:||Sheraton Waikiki|
|🧳 Best mid-range hotel:||Halepuna Waikiki|
|👛 Best budget hotel:||Queen Kapiolani Hotel|
|👸Best boutique hotel:||The Laylow|
BONUS: Most romantic hotels in Waikiki for your honeymoon
With its white-sand tranquil beaches, crystal clear waters, cocktails bars, and stunning sunsets and sunrises, Waikiki Beach is the ultimate destination to spend your honeymoon, anniversary, or just a romantic holiday with your special one!
So if you’re considering Waikiki for a romantic getaway, you’ll be happy to know that it brims with upscale resorts and boutique hotels offering special suites for couples, and many amenities to enjoy some privacy and quiet time with your sweet half!
Check out this quick list of the best honeymoon hotels in Waikiki, I selected one option for each price range in descending order from the most expensive one, so anyone can be satisfied:
- Luxury: Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa – Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa is a newly renovated oceanfront resort and a real oasis of peace and elegance where you will gaze at breathtaking views of Diamond Head. Here you will sleep in luxurious rooms with stunning views, have a romantic dinner at the beach restaurant serving Hawaiian cuisine, or enjoy couples treatments at the on-site spa. Otherwise, you can also join some activities like snorkeling, scuba diving, and parasailing, offered by the hotel.
- Mid-range: The Kahala Hotel and Resort – No Resort Fee – If you want to enjoy some privacy with your couple, The Kahala Hotel is for you. Offering luxury oceanfront rooms with a deep-soaking tub and separate shower, the rooms here are perfect. If you want to keep yourself in relaxation mode, there are plenty of ways you can do that: the Kahala Spa features 10 private treatment rooms, massages and beauty services, saunas, and an open-air relaxation space. And in the evening, you can enjoy cocktails at the bar and live music at The Veranda.
- Budget: VIVE Hotel Waikiki – who said you cannot have a romantic getaway if you are on a budget? Check out this lovely boutique hotel, just 7 minute walk from Waikiki Beach. Here you can choose from modern Honolulu guest rooms with mountain, city, or ocean views that will give you access to an incredible continental breakfast every morning (with a wide range of options)… name a better way to start your day! You will also love the staff who are super friendly, helpful, and available for any necessity you could have!
FAQs about hotels in Waikiki, Honolulu
👑 Which are the best places to stay in Waikiki Beach?
The best places to stay in Waikiki Beach are the luxury Trump International Hotel Waikiki and Halekulani, located on Waikiki Beach overlooking Diamond Head, or Queen Kapiolani Hotel if you want to stay on a budget.
👩❤👨 Which are the best places to stay in Waikiki Beach for couples?
The best places to stay in Waikiki Beach for a romantic getaway, a honeymoon, or an anniversary are the luxury Moana Surfrider Westin Resort & Spa, the midrange Kahala Hotel and Resort, or VIVE Hotel Waikiki if you are traveling on a budget.
🏖️ What is the best part of Honolulu to stay in?
The best part to stay in Honolulu is the Waikiki neighborhood, offering access to the best beaches and many restaurants, shopping, and attractions. Here you can also find hotels for any taste like luxury resorts, budget options, and romantic hotels! Check out this post for more details.
📅 When is the best time to visit Waikiki Beach?
The best time to have a holiday in Waikiki Beach is from mid-April to early June and from September to mid-December when attractions are less crowded, room rates are at their lowest and the weather is still sunny and warm!
Well, here we are! We finally reached the end of this extensive guide to the best places to stay in Waikiki, from incredible luxury resorts to beachfront hotels offering stunning views and options for those traveling on a budget.
We even checked out some romantic hotels for those going to Waikiki for their honeymoon… so there’s really something for any pocket and taste here!
If you are having difficulties choosing, I cannot blame you as we went through so many options and they’re all amazing! So let me give you some extra help with my 2 absolute favorites, offering great value for the price:
- The Royal Hawaiian – This is one of the best luxury hotels on the entire island, centrally located in the heart of Waikiki
- Halepuna Waikiki – This 4-star condo-style resort is perfect if you are looking for some relaxing time, featuring the best ocean views
If you like them as much as I do, make sure you book your favorite immediately, or at least some months in advance as you don’t want to lose your spot in paradise!
And if you have any questions, or you want to share your experience in one of the hotels mentioned in the post, please do so in the comments below. I am looking forward to reading them all and answering you!
For now, I wish you the best time in Waikiki!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!