Cocktails on the beach, surfing all day long, and exploring lush mountainous areas?
Sounds like my kind of place and I’m sure you’ll feel the same! Welcome to Honolulu, the capital city of beautiful Hawaii and a dream come true for many travelers.
If you’re getting ready for a long holiday in Honolulu, you’ve come to the right place! For a destination like this one, you’ll need a unique hotel (maybe one with a private beach area or rooftop infinity pool) to make your vacation even better, and I’m here to help you with that!
This carefully curated list of boutique hotels in Honolulu has the best accommodations! As you’ll see, the list starts from most to least expensive so you can easily decide which one to pick. I’ve also added a bonus section with the top beachfront places to stay in Honolulu for those of you who want to spend most of their time near the ocean, snorkeling, surfing, or just relaxing!
Before starting our virtual trip, I should tell you that these hotels sell out so quickly! Honolulu is a super popular holiday destination, and tourists worldwide come here. That’s why it’s super important to book your hotel in advance.
Vamanos, Waikiki Beach is waiting for us!
If you are in a hurry
For those of you who want to book their hotels right now, I’ve made a list of the best of the best boutique hotels in Honolulu for each price range:
Best luxury hotel
An Airbnb with amazing reviews
Best value for money
Best affordable accommodation in the center
Here’s a map that will help you visualize all the boutique hotels Honolulu that I will be talking about in this post:
Luxury (US$650 and up)
- Halekulani – Offering top services since 1917, this oceanfront hotel sits on Waikiki beach overlooking the Diamond head! Fancy a live jazz night? You can enjoy plenty of those at Halekulani, although it might be hard to leave your lanai rooms that have a deep-soaking tub! The stylish hotel has an award-winning restaurant, a full-service spa, and an outdoor swimming pool.
- Real Select at The Ritz-Carlton – Rooms with ceiling-to-floor windows and a private balcony? Yes, please! Get ready for long days spent on the Waikiki beach, enjoying the Hawaiian vibe! This luxury boutique hotel has 2 outdoor pools and a restaurant. Start your day with some room service, then head to the on-site spa for a long massage before exploring the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center!
- The Ritz-Carlton Residences – Enjoy Waikiki’s most distinctive luxury resort experience at one of the best boutique hotels in Honolulu! There’s no better place to enjoy a Hawaiian sunrise than by the infinity pool (which has private cabanas). This iconic hotel offers live music performances and apartments with stunning city views! Check our latest post if you’re looking for more Honolulu areas!
- The Royal Hawaiian – An accommodation that has a bakery on-site? Hold my purse! This is the coolest hotel! And not just because of that, it has super stylish rooms that feature ocean views, an outdoor pool, and a hot tub! Enjoy a quick breakfast at the on-site restaurant and then get ready to hit the beaches and go surfing! This luxury collection resort is located within walking distance of the Honolulu Zoo.
- Moana Surfrider – Start your day with a coffee on your private balcony while admiring the views of the world-famous Waikiki Beach which is located within walking distance. Westin resort amenities include a restaurant, a bar, and a fitness center. Of course, there’s also a spa that features 9 custom massage therapy rooms! You’ll definitely remember this Hawaiian vacation!
Mid Range (US$350 – US$460)
- Prince Waikiki – This boutique hotel is suited for royalty! Located only minutes away from beautiful Ala Moana Beach and Waikiki Beach, the accommodation offers incredible port views! Relax in the beautiful guest rooms and get ready for a night of delicious dining at the restaurant and live music! Aloha!
- Halepuna Waikiki – Just look at that infinity pool! I would watch those breathtaking views for hours! This boutique hotel has spacious rooms with a cool design that features works of several Hawaiian artists! Waikiki Beach is only a short walk away, but take some time to relax at the spa or chill in the lounge chairs by the pool before heading out. You’ll love it!
- The Laylow – Located within 5 minutes walk of Waikiki Beach and the Royal Hawaiian Center, this modern Honolulu hotel has guest rooms with free wifi and a sun terrace. During the day you can chill out by the outdoor pool and then at night get ready for a delicious dinner at one of the 2 restaurants and a fantastic live music performance!
- Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel – Ready to sip cocktails by the pool all day long? Grab your beach towels and go for a swim in the ocean early in the morning. The accommodation has family rooms, a fitness center, and an open-air Tikki bar! Some nearby attractions are the Honolulu Zoo and Ala Wai Golf Course. And if you’re looking for other areas in Oahu, check our latest post!
Budget (up to US$300)
- Waikiki Beachcomber – The rooms at this boutique hotel will make you feel as if you’re near the ocean 24/7! It’s not only the design but also the incredible sea views that you’ll get on your private balcony! The accommodation has air conditioning, free wifi and it offers breakfast! Chill on the sun loungers by the pool or head to Waikiki beach, which is only a short walk away!
- The Surfjack Hotel – Enjoy the Hawaiian atmosphere at this stunning hotel that’s located only a short drive away from Diamond Head and Sans Souci Beach. Surfjack Hotel offers vintage-inspired bungalows and suites with handcrafted design elements. Each day will feel as if you’re in paradise, so make the most of it and sunbathe all day long by the pool or at Waikiki Beach!
- Vive Hotel Waikiki – Aloha traveler! Are you ready for a holiday filled with sunshine, big waves, and delicious food? Then you’ll need the best place to rest! This boutique hotel offers rooms with ocean views, free continental breakfast, and free beach gear. After a whole day spent in the ocean riding the waves, grab a snack, and enjoy a fun movie night with the rest of the guests!
- Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites – Tropical destinations are my favorites! Just picture yourself having lots of cocktails on the beach and dancing all night! You’ll need a great place to relax after all that! Surrounded by palm trees and city buildings, this Aqua boutique hotel has an outdoor pool and a wine & cheese reception where you can listen to live Hawaiian music!
- Hotel Renew – I love the decor of the rooms at Hotel renew. It goes perfectly with the destination! Enjoy some yoga classes before hitting the beach or relax on the sun loungers. Fort DeRussy Beach and Kapiolani Park are less than a mile away from the accommodation.
|👑 Luxury price:||$650|
|💵 Mid Range:||$450|
|🛎️ Best boutique hotel:||Halekulani|
|🏰 Most unique hotel:||The Ritz-Carlton Residences|
|🧳 Best mid-range hotel:||Prince Waikiki|
|👛 Best budget hotel:||Waikiki Beachcomber|
|☀️ Best time to travel:||March to September|
BONUS: Best beachfront hotels in Honolulu
There’s nothing like waking up to the sound of the waves crashing the shores! In a destination like Honolulu, I can understand why you would want to stay as close to the beach as possible.
That way you can get up early, grab some coffee, and get ready to admire the sun coming out of the sea from the comfort of your room!
In addition to the boutique hotels on my list, I thought I would offer you 3 beachfront hotels that I think you’ll love, listed from most to least expensive. All of them offer the most amazing views!
The Kahala Hotel and Resort – How amazing does that sun lounger look on the balcony! The perfect spot for drinking your coffee! This modern Honolulu hotel boasts 4 restaurants and rooms with a deep-soaking tub! After a long day of snorkeling and surfing, come back to the hotel and enjoy a relaxing massage at the spa center! The Ala Wai Golf Course is also just a 15 min drive away.
Lotus Honolulu – A stunning hotel tucked away under the famous Diamond Head offers incredible hillside and beach views, and is under a mins walk from two different beaches! Enjoy a delicious lunch, hit the spa, and explore the nearby attractions. Waikiki Aquarium and Kaimana Beach sit only a few miles away from the accommodation.
Kaimana Beach Hotel – The beach on one side, the Diamond Head on the other side! Wow! I would chill on my room’s private lanai (balcony) every day for a few hours! But don’t forget that there are many things to try in Honolulu! Waikiki Aquarium is only a stone’s throw away, and the hotel offers different activities like happy hours, hiking, and snorkeling!
Frequently asked questions about hotels in Honolulu
🏨 What is the oldest hotel in Honolulu?
Moana Surfrider is the oldest hotel in Honolulu. It was built in 1901, and it was the first hotel to be opened in Waikiki.
🤔 Which part of Honolulu should I stay in?
🌊 Which are the best boutique hotels in Honolulu?
🌞 What is Honolulu best known for?
Honolulu serves as Hawaii’s gateway, and it’s known for its golden beaches, incredible scenery (you’ll feel as if you’re in paradise), and of course, the best destination for surfing.
You’re probably thinking that you want to move here by now, and trust me that wouldn’t be a bad idea, Honolulu is so stunning!
Let’s do a short recap of what you’ll find in this post. A list of the best boutique hotels in Honolulu, listed from most to least expensive, plus a short (but valuable) bonus on the best accommodations on the beach!
If you’re also interested in other types of accommodations like Airbnb’s, Villas, Guesthouses, and more, I got you covered! Check out our article on where to stay in Honolulu (with prices!).
I hope this article will help you decide which place to choose. And if you’re having a hard time trying to decide (they’re all so awesome, I know) here are my top 2 favorite hotels:
- Halekulani – A luxury hotel on Waikiki beach which boasts a spa center & hot tub
- Prince Waikiki – A hotel that has family rooms and a picnic area
Remember that Honolulu is such a popular destination! I highly recommend booking your hotels in advance if you want to get the best ones.
This is where I leave you. Enjoy your time in paradise! Admire the stunning Diamond Head, chill on a rooftop pool, visit the Honolulu Zoo or the Queen Kapiolani Park and shop until you drop in Downtown Waikiki!
If you have any other questions about Honolulu or any of the Waikiki hotels, leave me a comment below, and I’ll make sure to answer them ASAP!