With its huge and beautiful white dunes (which make it the world’s largest gypsum dune field), there are few places in the world as unique as White Sands National Park in New Mexico! But such a vast area begs the question, where should you stay if you want to visit this incredible attraction?
Since it has quite a remote location, it can be tricky to find information about accommodation in the area online, that’s why I made this guide with the best hotels near White Sands National Park divided by price range, so there’s something for any taste and budget!
Most of the hotels in the post are located in the town of Alamogordo, which has the best access to the national park, but I have also included a bonus with hotels in Las Cruces, a town a little further away from White Sands but which offers more White Sands lodging in case the others are already booked out.
That reminds me since the accommodation here is limited, it’s extremely important that you book as far in advance as possible. I don’t want you to miss out!
If you are in a hurry
If you’re in a rush and just want to choose the best hotel for your budget right now, here is a quick list of the best of the best hotels for each price range:
Here is a handy map to help you see the location of all the hotels I will be talking about in this post!:
Luxury (US$170 and up)
- Home2 Suites By Hilton Alamogordo – This modern hotel is located in Alamogordo, only 20 minutes drive from White Sands National Monument. Here you’ll have all the comforts you need to relax after an intense day of visiting: a spa and wellness center, an outdoor swimming pool, an on-site snack bar, and even barbecue facilities to cook a delicious dinner with your family or friends… What else do you need?
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Alamogordo – Check out this amazing hotel in Alamogordo, a 15 minutes drive from White Sands. The property offers a delicious breakfast to start your day full of energy, an indoor swimming pool and hot tub where you can enjoy some well-deserved relaxation, and the best part? Comfy beds for the best sleep! You will also love the rooms with free wifi and a private bathroom. Some of them even have a spa bath and mountain view!
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites – Holiday Inn Express & Suites has one of the best locations in Alamogordo, at a short drive from White Sands and other attractions like the Holloman Air Force Base and the Alameda Park Zoo. This hotel is perfect for a stay with a family, being a 100% non-smoking property and offering an indoor pool, spacious rooms with in-room movies, and a delicious breakfast served every morning.
- The Cabins at Cloudcroft – Are you going to White Sands National Park with your four-legged friend? Then check out these pet-friendly cabins located in Cloudcroft, just 40 minutes from the park. Each charming cabin offers free WiFi, a fully equipped kitchen, a seating area, and access to free private parking and barbecue facilities. Another plus? You can enjoy skiing in close proximity to the holiday home!
Mid Range (US$100 – US$150)
- Beautiful home with modern amenities – Do you like to feel at home when you’re on vacation? Then check out this spacious home just half an hour from the National Park with plenty of outdoor space, a two-car garage, and a large fenced backyard. The home hosts up to 8 people, so it is perfect for a stay with families or friends and offers all the comforts you need like a flat-screen TV, wireless internet, and an office with an available computer!
- La Pluma – Mountain Getaway High Rolls – This 2 bedroom cozy cabin is nestled in the mountains in the small community of High Rolls (exactly between Cloudcroft and Alamogordo), half an hour drive from White Sands. This is the perfect getaway to cool off in the summer and ski in the winter, offering a large outdoor deck, big fenced-in yard, stone fire pit, fully stocked kitchen, and much more… check it out!
- Hampton Inn Alamogordo – Hampton Inn Suites Alamogordo is the perfect hotel if you want to have easy access to White Sands, being just 15 minutes driving from the park! But the property also offers great value for the price, featuring a delicious breakfast each morning (if you miss it they will give you a bagged breakfast), a fitness center to keep yourself in shape, and spacious rooms!
- White Sands Motel – White Sands Motel is conveniently located in the suburbs of Alamogordo, a short 15-minute drive from White Sands National Park, and in the middle of some great bars and restaurants! The rooms are comfortable, clean, and feature a seating area to relax in after a busy day, the staff is super nice and helpful, and the breakfast is delicious… What else can you ask for?
Budget (up to US$90)
- The Classic Desert Aire Hotel – Are you looking for a place to stay near White Sand National Park on a budget? Here you have it! This affordable hotel is located in Alamogordo, at 15 minutes drive from the Sands National Park, featuring great facilities like a fitness center and a business center. And check out the rooms… They all come with free WiFi, a flat-screen cable TV, a work desk, and coffee-making facilities to start your day with the right push!
- The Summit Inn – This amazing hotel is located in Cloudcroft, 40 minutes from the National Park, and will offer you easy access to a large picnic area and many outdoor activities, like hiking and mountain biking… Here you can keep yourself entertained every day! Another super cool thing about this hotel is that guests of The Summit Inn gather around the on-site fire pit to tell stories every evening, complete with BBQ facilities available for outdoor entertaining.
- Super 8 by Wyndham Alamogordo – This budget hotel is located just outside the city of Alamogordo, 20 minutes from White Sands National Park, and offers many cool guest services! Some examples? It serves a delicious grab-and-go breakfast every morning, laundry facilities, and even copy and fax services. And if this wasn’t all, the staff is super friendly and helpful, don’t hesitate to ask them for tips on the surrounding area!
- Cloudcroft Hostel – If you want to reach the White Sands National Park in half an hour’s drive and have access to great activities at the same time, check out this affordable hostel located in Cloudcroft. Here you can enjoy hiking, skiing, and cycling in the close surroundings of the hotel and then rest in your room with a private balcony, or on the big terrace available for guests!
|👑 Luxury price:
|💵 Mid Range:
|💰 Accommodation prices:
|📅 How many days:
|🍁 Best time to visit
|October – November
|🏢 Closest town:
|🏔️ Top hotel with a view
|Fairfield Inn & Suites
|🏰 Best luxury hotel:
|Home2 Suites By Hilton
|🧳 Best mid-range hotel:
|Hampton Inn Alamogordo
|👛 Best budget hotel:
|The Summit Inn
BONUS: Best hotels to stay in Las Cruces
Located at about 1 hour from White Sand National Park, Las Cruces is the second-largest city in New Mexico, perfect if you want to have access to other cool attractions in addition to the dunes of White Sands National Park!
In fact, in the close surroundings of Las Cruces, you will find the historic town of Mesilla, with a national historic square, the Chihuahuan Desert, the interactive New Mexico Farm, and Ranch Heritage Museum, plus much more. Cool right?
Check out these great hotel options, they are all between $170 and $130 a night, and I have listed them in descending order from the most expensive ones to the least.
P.S.: If you are looking for other cities where to stay in Nex Mexico that offer great attractions and access to the park, check out your additional accommodation options in Albuquerque and Santa Fe hotels, both located around a 3-hour’s drive from it!
- Staybridge Suites Las Cruces – This lovely hotel offers everything you need for a holiday with all comforts: a delicious breakfast in the morning, an outdoor pool, a hot tub where you can chill in the evenings, and a courtyard with BBQ facilities. And wait until you see the rooms! They all have access to free wifi, a fully equipped kitchen, a seating area, and a work desk!
- Hilton Garden Inn Las Cruces – I am sure you will love this pet-friendly hotel, located just 10 minute drive from downtown Las Cruces and its main attractions! Here you will relax in the spacious outdoor pool and whirlpool, have the best dinners at the on-site restaurant and keep yourself in shape at the fitness center.
- Comfort Suites of Las Cruces I-25 North – This hotel has a great location in Las Cruces if you’re planning on landing in town, being just a 20-minute drive from the airport. The rooms here provide you with everything you need and more including air conditioning, a seating area, a flat-screen satellite TV with pay-per-view channels, and free wifi!
- Lundeen Inn of the Arts – This guest house in Las Cruces is located right in the Upper Chihuahuan Desert of southern New Mexico. Here you will sleep in unique guest rooms containing art created by a famous New Mexican artist, and you have a delicious healthy breakfast every morning… What better way to start your day?
FAQs about hotels near White Sands National Park
🏢 What town is closest to White Sands National Park?
The closest town to White Sands National Park is Alamogordo, New Mexico. Located just 20 minutes from the White Sands National Park by car it offers many good hotels like Home2 Suites By Hilton Alamogordo.
👑 Which are the best hotels to stay near White Sands National Park?
✅ Is White Sands National Park worth visiting?
Yes, White Sands National Park, located in New Mexico, is the world’s largest gypsum dune field and an extremely beautiful place to explore, with its huge white sand dunes!
📅 When should I visit White Sands National Park?
The best time to visit White Sands National Park is late October/early November when the Cottonwoods are changing color, while by mid-November, most of the Cottonwoods have already changed color.
So… where will you stay when visiting the White Sands National Park? We have just seen all the best accommodation near this unique place, from luxury to more affordable hotels.
Most of them are located in the town of Alamogordo, the best getaway to the park, located only 15 minutes drive from it, but I also gave you some options in Las Cruces, a bigger city with a wider offer of attractions.
Since we saw countless options, I want to help you narrow down the choices with my 2 favorite hotels near White Sands:
- Fairfield Inn & Suites – This luxury hotel, 15 minutes driving from White Sands, offers a delicious breakfast daily, an indoor swimming pool, and a hot tub.
- Hampton Inn Alamogordo – This is the perfect hotel if you want to have easy access to White Sands, only 15 minutes driving from the park and offers great value.
Remember if something tickles your fancy, book it immediately so you can secure yourself a spot and maybe even take advantage of some good offers!
I hope you enjoyed reading my guide, and if you still have any questions for me, please share them in the comments below, I am looking forward to reading them and answering you all!
Have a great holiday!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!