Are you planning a trip to this incredible city in Tuscany, but you don’t know where to start? No problem! Because I’ve just come up with the ultimate guide for where to stay in Pisa, Italy! You will find all the details you need for a perfect holiday in this post!
Even though it is now famous for the Pisa Tower, it wasn’t actually supposed to look like that! The bell tower started leaning in time because of the soft ground underneath. The people who built the tower probably didn’t even know how famous this piece of architecture would become!
Also, I know that many tourists tend to spend their time in Piazza Dei Miracoli near the Tower when they visit Pisa, but I highly recommend exploring the rest of the city as well. There are so many incredible places to discover here!
Now let’s find the best Pisa hotels! Fancy finding accommodation super close to the Tower of Pisa, or maybe one that has a swimming pool and a roof terrace? Come along, and I’ll help you choose the perfect one. Just keep in mind that you’ll have to book it in advance. You all know how famous this town in Tuscany is, so of course, all the good hotels sell out very fast!
- If you are in a hurry
- 1. Santa Maria – where to stay in Pisa for the first time
- 2. Sant’Antonio – the best place to stay in Pisa for families
- 3. San Francesco – where to stay in Pisa for nightlife
- 4. San Martino – the best place to stay in Pisa for relaxing
- BONUS: Best hotels in Pisa near the Galileo Galilei Airport
- Frequently asked questions about hotels in Pisa
If you are in a hurry
If you want to book your Pisa hotels right now and not wait any minute longer, then have a look at this list of the best accommodations, all located in Santa Maria, near the Pisa Tower:
Best luxury hotel
Villa Tower Inn
Best value for money
Villa Martina Classic
Best affordable accommodation in the center
White Studio Flat
An Airbnb with amazing reviews
Here’s a map that will help you visualize all the areas where to stay in Pisa, Italy that I will be talking about in this post:
1. Santa Maria – where to stay in Pisa for the first time
Ciao friends! On today’s traveling agenda, we’ve got the beautiful Pisa, one of the most visited cities in Tuscany. If you’re visiting Pisa for the first time, then stop for a minute in this section where I’m going to tell you all about Santa Maria, which in my opinion is the perfect location for tourists!
Located on the northern bank of River Arno, Santa Maria is a pedestrian-friendly area and the city’s historic center where you’ll find the main tourist attractions including the famous Leaning Tower of Pisa (the bell tower), the Duomo Square, and Piazza Dei Miracoli!
That’s not it, though! Santa Maria has tons of other attractions plus the most stunning cobbled streets, which are filled with small boutique shops, good restaurants, wine bars, and some of the best hotels in Pisa.
As you can guess, most people want to stay in the city center as the Leaning Tower of Pisa is a short walk away, that’s why it’s imperative to book your hotels in advance. This city rarely gets a break from the tourists!
The historic buildings will make you feel as if you’ve opened the door to the past, that’s why I recommend just walking around Central Pisa without using public transport, you’ll discover so many hidden gems!
This hotel has a central location less than a mile away from the Leaning Tower of Pisa! Grab a quick breakfast and then head out to explore around. The Rif offers air-conditioned rooms with a private bathroom and free wi-fi.
Other accommodation options in Santa Maria
I love the elegant design of this centrally located hotel that has spacious rooms, free wi-fi, and a sun terrace
Enjoy your stay in Pisa at this hotel that offers a continental breakfast, free wifi, and rooms with air-conditioning
Perfect for couples, this flat is located within walking distance from the Pisa Tower and it has a kitchen
Things to do in Santa Maria
- Take a picture holding up the Leaning Tower of Pisa
- Explore around Piazza del Duomo
- Go inside the Cattedrale di Pisa
- Check out the shopping streets in Santa Maria
- Look for wine bars in the historic quarter
- Spend a fun day at Jardín Botánico de Pisa
- Catch a sunset near Arno River at Ponte Solferino
2. Sant’Antonio – the best place to stay in Pisa for families
Located just across Arno River, this area is super close to the Pisa Centrale Train Station (central train station), which is one of the major railway junctions of Tuscany, meaning that it will be easy peasy to take day trips to other parts of this beautiful region.
I think Sant’Antonio is an excellent area to stay in Pisa for people traveling with their families. Firstly the main attractions are located only a 20-minute walk away, and at the same time, you won’t be staying in the city center which can get super crowded, which can be very annoying when you’re with the kids.
Secondly, the fact that the Pisa Centrale Railway station is situated within walking distance means that you can quickly head to other areas in Tuscany with the kids, any time you want! I recommend heading to Florence first. It’s such a stunning city! La Spezia, the gateway to Cinque Terre, is also very close to Pisa.
Back in Sant’Antonio, you’ll find some lovely historic churches plus many excellent restaurants where you and the kids can indulge in Italian cuisine. Pizza, pasta, and gelato all day long? Sign me up!
This hotel has the best location! It’s located within walking distance of the Pisa Tower and the central train station. Grab a quick breakfast with the family, and then head out to visit all the tourist attractions in the city!
Other accommodation options in Sant’Antonio
Enjoy your stay in Pisa at this hotel that has spacious rooms, free wi-fi and which is located near the train station
Relax on the balcony at this accommodation that has family rooms, free wi-fi, and air-conditioning
A modern accommodation situated in front of the central station that has 2 rooms, and a kitchen
Things to do in Sant’Antonio
- Visit the San Paolo a Ripa d’Arn Church
- Take a day trip with the kids from Pisa Central Station
- See the beautiful Tuttomondo Mural
- Eat something sweet at Pasticceria Al Dolcemente
- Go for a walk on the banks of Arno River
- Have a family dinner at Pizzeria da Toni
3. San Francesco – where to stay in Pisa for nightlife
Located just a short walk east of Santa Maria, on the north side of Arno River, this neighborhood is perfect for those who want to spend their nights drinking Aperols and wine in the Italian bars!
Right at the border with Santa Maria, you’ll find the University of Pisa and all the bars so make sure to dress up, and hit the town! I love the feeling when I’m visiting a new place and I start going through all the bars, trying new drinks, and just having fun! Add that charming Italian atmosphere and you’ll have an unforgettable experience!
Of course, you’re in Italy, so there are plenty of things to do and see in San Francesco during the daytime as well. You’ll find a stunning historic building on every corner, plus tons of museums where you can admire the most beautiful works of art.
If you still have some time on your hands, why not take a trip to Rome or some other place in Tuscany? Head to Pisa Centrale Station which is located a 20 min walk away from San Francesco, get a ticket, and start a new adventure!
I love the design and vintage furniture of this Pisa Bed & Breakfast that’s located less than a mile away from the Leaning Tower. The rooms are super spacious and comfortable there. The hotel also offers a breakfast room.
Other accommodation options in San Francesco
Enjoy your stay in Pisa at this hotel that’s situated in a 13th-century building and offers breakfast
Feel at home in this cozy San Francesco apartment that has a terrace, modern rooms, free wifi, and a kitchen
A spacious accommodation in San Francesco that has a kitchen, free wifi, and a private bathroom
Things to do in San Francesco
- Have lots of cocktails at Amani Lounge Bar
- Learn new things at the National Museum of San Matteo
- Admire the architecture of the Chiesa di San Michele
- See some beautiful sculptures at Gipsoteca di Arte Antica
- Enjoy a beer at Orzo Bruno Pisa
- Visit the Palazzo Medici during your stay in Pisa
- Spend a fun night on the rooftop terrace at Skyline American Bar
4. San Martino – the best place to stay in Pisa for relaxing
If you’re planning a trip to Pisa but don’t want to face crowds of tourists, I recommend booking a hotel in San Martino! Located across the Arno River, south of Santa Maria, this neighborhood is the perfect place where you can enjoy la dolce vita!
This is also where you’ll find the Fortezza Nuova, a fortress originally built in 1440 and reconstructed later after suffering a lot of damage. The historical landmark is located in a park, perfect for morning walks and reading sessions under the Tuscan sun! P.S. Don’t forget there’s a famous movie with that same name, and I think you’ll love it! Give it a go before your trip to Pisa!
So grab an espresso and a pastry and head out to explore this beautiful neighborhood! Of course, there are a few beautiful churches (and one it’s named San Martino), a museum, and many cafes and restaurants.
After writing about this stunning city, all I want to do is book a flight to Italy and eat as much Italian food as possible! But until then, let’s check out the hotels in San Martino!
Set in a beautiful house that dates back to the 1920s, this hotel has spacious rooms and a unique design! Grab a glass of lemonade and head to the garden to enjoy the sun! The Pisa Centrale Station is only a 10-minute walk away from the hotel if you want to visit other areas!
Other accommodation options in San Martino
I love the garden space of this hotel that has family rooms and which is located near the Torre Di Pisa
A great accommodation for budget travelers that offers free wifi, an Italian breakfast, and garden views
Perfect for a larger group, this apartment has all the facilities you need including a kitchen and free wifi
Things to do in San Martino
- Visit the stunning Fortezza Nuova
- Grab a coffee and walk around Giardino Scotto
- Admire the art at Museo della Grafica Palazzo Lanfranchi
- Enjoy a delicious pizza at Le Scuderie
- Check out the architecture of the San Martino Church
- Head to the train station and visit other cities in Tuscany
|👑 Luxury price:||€170|
|💵 Mid Range:||€90|
|💰 Accommodation prices:||Medium|
|📍 Best area:||Santa Maria|
|👪 Best area for families:||Sant’Antonio|
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:||The Rif|
|💵 Best mid-range hotel:||Villa Tower Inn|
|👛 Best budget hotel:||Villa Martina Classic|
BONUS: Best hotels in Pisa near the Galileo Galilei Airport
Planning a trip to this beautiful city in Tuscany, but do you want to stay as close as possible to the Pisa Airport? Then you’re in luck because I’ve made a list of the best hotels in the city!
Let’s check them out:
- Luxury: Travel B&B – This lovely accommodation is super spacious and bright! Located less than a mile away from the International Airport, the apartment has a fully equipped kitchen and free wifi.
- Mid Range: B&B La Corte di Stelio – Relax in the garden during your stay in Pisa at this B&B that offers breakfast and rooms with a private bathroom. The accommodation is only a 5-minute walk away from the International Airport.
- Budget: Ai 4 Elementi – Located in a modern building just a 5-minute walk away from the Pisa Airport, this B&B offers family rooms and a breakfast which you can enjoy in the lovely garden.
- Airbnb: Cozy Place – Chill on the balcony during your stay in Pisa, at this accommodation that is located a short walk away from the airport. The accommodation is super spacious, and it has a kitchen and free wifi.
Frequently asked questions about hotels in Pisa
🤩 What is the best area to stay in Pisa?
Santa Maria is the best area to stay in Pisa. This is where you’ll find the iconic tower of Pisa, and Piazza Dei Miracoli, plus a wide range of guest houses and hotels that offer amazing facilities like The Rif.
🍕 Is Pisa a nice place to stay?
Yes, Pisa is a beautiful city in Tuscany with many unique attractions, great restaurants that serve delicious food, and unique hotels.
📅 How many days in Pisa is enough?
If you spend 1-2 days in Pisa, you’ll get to see most of the attractions such as the Leaning Tower, Pisa Cathedral, and Piazza dei Miracoli.
🇮🇹 Is Pisa, Italy expensive?
Pisa is not super expensive. The prices of the hotels in Pisa are medium, from €170 for a luxury hotel to €90 for a mid-range one and €60 for a budget one.
What a stunning city! Everything from the food to the architecture and the atmosphere, in general, makes me fall in love with this country every time I visit it! I hope this post helped you decide where to stay in Pisa, Italy.
To help you with your decision, as I know better than anyone how hard it is to pick a hotel, especially when the list is so long, I’ll give you my top 2 favorite options, both located in Santa Maria, near the Pisa Tower:
- The Rif – A boutique hotel that has a garden and family rooms
- Villa Tower Inn – This hotel offers breakfast and free parking
After you’ve decided which hotel in Pisa you would like for your holiday, book it super in advance! You probably know how famous this city in Tuscany is, and all the accommodations sell out super fast.
This is where I leave you! Enjoy your stay in Pisa, Italy, and I encourage you to discover other parts of Tuscany and Cinque Terre as well. Just head to the Central Train Station to buy your Florence or La Spezia ticket!
If there is anything that you would like to know about the hotels in Pisa or just the city in general, leave me a comment below, and I’ll make sure to answer it ASAP!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!