Amalfi Coast is one of the most popular vacation spots in Southern Italy! It’s basically a 110 square kilometers coastline area spreading from Sorrento to Salerno, made of 13 charming villages and 100 individual beaches. Sounds pretty amazing, right? This place is ideal if you’re interested in laying on the beach, admiring UNESCO World Heritage landscapes, trying the unbeatable Italian cuisine and partying with celebrities until the morning comes.
Now that you decided to go for some world-class relaxation in one of the best destinations in Europe, you might be wondering where to stay on the Amalfi Coast, am I right? Well, this is quite a difficult decision, as there are many towns that you can choose from – from the vibrant Positano to the calm Ravello, from the gorgeous Amalfi to the underrated Furore.
This complete guide on Amalfi Coast accommodation will help you make this decision easier! In this post I selected the best, most popular Amalfi Coast towns and I’m giving you my hand-picked hotel recommendations in each of them.
PRO TIP: Make sure you rent a car during your stay on the Amalfi Coast! All the different cities along the coast are really worth visiting and the views are incredible on the road, so it would be a real shame in missing out! Getting a car means you can easily go from one town to the other, as public transportation doesn’t connect the entire area, unfortunately.
Are you ready? Let’s go!
Which town should you choose?
As I mentioned before, each and every one of the towns that form the Amalfi Coast is special and all of them deserve at least a short visit or day trip. But how can you choose THE one that will be your base during your vacation?
The best town to stay on the Amalfi Coast for the first time, in my opinion, is Positano. This is the ideal place if you want to enjoy the true, luxurious vibe of the area, to enjoy some crazy nightlife and lay on some of the softest beaches in the area.
That’s a hard task, but my personalized recommendations below will help you make this decision easier. Let’s see:
- Where to stay in the Amalfi Coast for luxury: Positano
- Best area for budget travelers: Salerno
- Best area for nightlife: Positano
- Best area for a honeymoon: Praiano or Ravello
- Best for families: Maiori or Minori
- Where to stay if you don’t have a car: Amalfi or Salerno
1. Positano – Where to stay on Amalfi Coast for the first time
Positano is one of the BEST towns to stay in if you want a luxurious, VIP-level vacation that includes lots of relaxation on the beach during the day and dancing during the night!
Positano is a cliffside town that has a superb soft beach, beautiful architecture, countless pubs and clubs, numerous world-class restaurants and, of course, plenty of amazing accommodation options that you can choose from! It’s a really lively place and one of the most popular choices for travelers visiting the Amalfi Coast. Positano is basically picture-perfect!
By the way, you can expect the prices in Positano to be higher than in the rest of the cities among the coast, but you can also expect to find some glamorous hotels and villas here that can’t be compared with anything else in the world! But no worries, I have selected some more affordable options for you down below!
NOTE: I would not recommend staying in Positano to people traveling with a baby or stroller as it is known as the “vertical town” because it’s scattered along a cliff. So, keep in mind that getting around will not be that easy!
Here are the best hotels in Positano, Amalfi Coast, sorted by price:
Luxury (US$160 and up)
- Le Sirenuse – A unique 5 star hotel (I would give it 6 if it was up to me!) with white theme decor rooms, a swimming pool and much more! Not only the rooms have sublime sea views, the hotel stuff literally takes care of every single detail of your stay and most people consider it “the best hotel they ever stayed in”. Sophia Vergara, Anne Hathaway, Reese Witherspoon and other celebrities that stay there can certainly agree too!
- Il San Pietro di Positano – Here’s another excellent choice in one of the best Amalfi Coast towns, located super close to the water, with unbeatable sea views! By the way, some guests even said that this is one of the best hotels in Italy – so cool! But beware, as the rooms need to be reserved way ahead of time!
- Villa Treville – My next recommendation is one of the best hotels in Positano and an excellent for a spoiled, luxury vacation! When I speak about luxury in Amalfi, Positano is the first one on my list. My next recommendation is this stunning accommodation that awaits with a flawless service! Do you want to see the deep blue water from your bed? Then make sure to book a room here, you definitely won’t regret it! Yes, it has a private beach as well!
Middle-priced (US$120 – US$160)
- Casa Fortunata – In case you’re looking for a hotel that offers a great value for the money in Positano, Amalfi Coast, this one’s for you! The main advantage of staying here is probably the sun terrace that offers great views of the sea – so cool!
- Positano Art Hotel Pasitea – This awesome 4-star hotel has a gorgeous view of the coast and it awaits with some beautiful, clean rooms with comfy beds. Click on the hotel name to see some pictures of the property and rooms and to read more about the facilities!
Budget (up to US$120)
Wondering where to stay in Positano on a budget? Unfortunately, because Positano is such a glamorous destination, I couldn’t find any budget-friendly hotels there, but I’m recommending some great Airbnbs in Positano instead and one hostel for those on a budget that still want to enjoy this unique destination.
- Romantic Room Positano – If you’re looking for value and convenience, this private room in a gorgeous Positano house is the answer for you! The place is sparkling clean and the owner is a superhost, so you can expect a great experience during your stay!
- Hostel Brikette – This cozy, friendly hostel can be your home away from home during your vacation! It’s actually the cheapest option I could find anywhere in Positano – it has some unbeatable prices but walking up and down the stairs will be required.
Sorrento is technically not on the Amalfi Coast, it is on a Sorrentinian coast, but it is nevertheless one of the most popular places among tourists as it is a stone throw away!
When it comes to describing this area on the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento is a beautiful mix of traditional and new, it has some amazing beaches and it’s a great choice if you want to include some day trips or tours to Pompeii or Naples during your itinerary, for example. But there’s one downside of its position as well: because it’s so accessible and easy to reach, Sorrento quickly becomes crowded during the summer.
PRO TIP: Taxis in Sorrento is outrageously expensive – we were asked to pay 60€ for literally a 6 min ride from the railway station. The taxi drivers are quite rude there and are not willing to negotiate their unreasonable prices. Below I can recommend you a company that charged us twice less (still not cheap, but so is everything in Amalfi) – it is a private company, not just one driver like it could seem from the ad and you can order your taxi by WhatsApp too: (here is the number to copy directly +3908118252620)
Here are my hand-picked choice of hotels for you:
Luxury (US$160 and up)
- Palazzo Marziale – Do you want to be treated like royalty during your stay near the water? This stunning property is the best place to book a room and it’s one of the best hotels in Sorrento, Italy! It’s located in a 15-century building, one minute away from the city center!
- Villa Oriana Relais – Wondering where to book your room for complete luxury? Here’s another superb option on my list of the best places to stay in Sorrento! It’s a great place if you want panoramic views, superb rooms and a terrace with a hot tub. You’ll see that you’ll just fall in love with this hotel!
Middle-priced (US$110 – US$160)
- Al Centro Suites – Wondering where to stay in this city for a good service? Well, trust me when I say that this is an amazing place to stay if you want some views of both the water and the historical city – such a nice advantage!
- English Inn Rooms – Here’s another great choice if you want to save some money on your accommodation in Amalfi Coast, Sorrento. Plus, you’ll be in a place that has easy access to Naples in case you want to do a day trip!
Budget (up to US$110)
- B&B Caruso – The main reason why I’d recommend saving some money on your accommodation on the coast is to invest it in some awesome day trips – such as Naples, for example! Even though it doesn’t have any water views or terrace, the rooms here are cozy and super clean!
- Casarufolo Paradise – This guest house is super cute and comfortable, just perfect for a good night’s sleep after a day of exploring the Amalfi Coast! You can serve a delicious breakfast in the morning and then head over to Naples for the evening – how great is that?
Needless to say that Amalfi is the biggest and most popular town along the entire coast, right?
Amalfi is actually a town part of the Amalfi Coast, that’s right! is one of the most popular choices (after Positano and Sorrento) for people who want to enjoy the true vibe of this amazing place in Italy. It has everything you might need: beautiful views, luxury (but a more affordable one compared to Positano), amazing beaches and a rich history as well. Plus, countless amazing restaurants and bars where you can indulge.
Another interesting thing to note is that Amalfi is halfway along the coast, being equally close to both Salerno and Sorrento, which makes it pretty perfect for some exploration!
Here are the best hotels you can choose from if you want to stay in Amalfi:
Luxury (US$160 and up)
- Hotel Santa Caterina – Are you wondering where to stay in Amalfi so you can enjoy a luxurious treatment? This 5-star hotel located right near the deep blue sea is one of the best answers I can give you! It has a stunning outdoor pool, many terraces and some incredibly beautiful rooms!
- NH Collection Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi – My next recommendation is another flawless choice if you want some royal places to stay in Amalfi! You’ll just love the beautiful decor at this hotel, both in the rooms and in the common areas. Plus, they have an infinity pool and marble bathrooms – how awesome is that?
Middle-priced (US$100 – US$160)
- La Valle Delle Ferriere – If you’re looking for a valuable stay in Amalfi instead, look no further than this hotel! This is actually a super pretty bed and breakfast located less than 1km away from the beach. The rooms are bright and super cozy!
- Albergo L’Antico Convitto – Here’s another wonderful place to stay if you don’t want to splurge on accommodation! Some of the advantages of staying in this 3-star hotel include free Wi-Fi, a delicious breakfast, family rooms and a very friendly and helpful staff!
Budget (up to US$100)
- Domus Gaia – Can you believe I found a stunning accommodation near the water that awaits with a great terrace where you can serve an Italian breakfast and some fresh cookies and see the blue sea at the same time? Me neither! It’s a great option, so make sure to book in advance!
- Villa Rina – Here’s another very good option for a budget stay in Amalfi. This hotel has simple but comfortable rooms and the property is at the top of 400 steps, so you can expect some beautiful views of the coast!
Praiano is a small, charming and lush town along the coast and one of the best choices for couples!
It’s also pretty close to Positano (less than 20 minutes away by car) and Amalfi (around 25 minutes), while also being calmer than both of them. If you choose to stay here, you’ll also have plenty of great restaurants and shops to choose from, so you won’t get bored even for one second!
There are numerous accommodation options in this town, but here are some of the best I can recommend:
Luxury (US$160 and up)
- Casa Angelina – This stunning accommodation is my first recommendation for people who want to splurge and indulge! This 5-star boutique hotel awaits with beautiful views, spa services, a gourmet restaurant serving Mediterranean dishes (including seafood, of course), free parking and more! Plus, it’s just perfect for a honeymoon!
- Hotel Piccolo Sant’Andrea – This is another superb 5-star hotel that you can book! Some of the advantages of staying in this hotel on the coast includes access to the spa, free parking, free Wi-Fi, an on-site bar and more!
Middle-priced (US$110 – US$160)
- Hotel Le Fioriere – This beautiful 3-star hotel comes with some pocket-friendly rates, but an excellent service! The breakfast is delicious and it’s available until late in the morning, the rooms are beautiful and clean, and there’s a beautiful sea view out the windows!
- Open Gate – Here’s another good option I found for you! This one has a nice sun terrace with sea views and the beach awaits less than 5 minutes away by foot. Plus, staying in Praiano means you’ll also be close to Sentiero Degli Dei (Path of Angels) – a famous hiking trail in case you’re up for some adventure!
Budget (up to US$110)
- Casa Stella Marina – In case you’re looking for a great budget stay in this beautiful village, well, you just found it! This cozy guest house is colorful and clean and it has different types of rooms that you can choose from – with or without a sea view!
- Hotel Villa Bellavista – Last but not least, this 3-star beachfront hotel has an on-site bar, a restaurant and some unbeatable prices! By the way, most of the rooms here have a balcony where you can stay and sip on your coffee and just admire the view and atmosphere!
Even though Ravello doesn’t have a beach, it’s an ideal spot if you want a quiet, relaxed vacation or honeymoon!
Ravello is a tiny town that sits proudly on a cliff, with plenty of hotels overlooking the deep blue sea. I definitely recommend it to those looking for a romantic, peaceful place to stay, while also being close to all the action in Positano or Amalfi.
Ravello is scattered with beautiful Italian gardens and houses and it awaits with fabulous photo opportunities everywhere you look!
If you feel like Ravello is the place for you, here are the places I recommend booking:
Luxury (US$150 and up)
- Belmond Hotel Caruso – Do you want to stay in a stunning, luxurious hotel on the coast? Then this one was made especially for you! This property offers a 5-star service in a renovated 11th century building with superb decor! You won’t get bored here, even if you stay for one full year!
- Hotel Villa Cimbrone – Villa Cimbrone is one of the most famous hotels in the village of Ravello, it’s very well-known! Get ready for a world-class service at this property that has an outdoor pool, panoramic gardens and even a private helicopter pad – can you believe it?
Middle-priced (US$100 – US$150)
- Maera B&B Ravello – Just take a look at this beautiful bed and breakfast! The rooms are modern, simple and super clean and you’ll also find an on-site restaurant, a bar and a shared lounge there.
- Ravello In – Here’s another excellent guest house in this village that awaits with a very good service, especially considering the price you’ll be paying! This place also has family rooms, free Wi-Fi and free private parking – so great!
Budget (up to US$100)
- Le Perle d’Italia – In case you’re on the search for a budget stay in this beautiful village that will offer a local atmosphere, you just found it! This cute guest house has nice rooms and you’ll also have access to a shared kitchen in case you want to cook your own meals!
- Nonno Francesco B&B – Here’s another great place to stay if you want to save some pennies on your hotel room. This B&B awaits with free Wi-Fi, a garden, a terrace, air-conditioned rooms and more!
6. Maiori and Minori
Maiori and Minori are two different towns located super close to each other (less than 2 km away) and the perfect option if you’re traveling with your family and kids!
Why am I saying this? Because, as opposed to the vibrant, crazy Positano, Maiori and Minori are more laid-back, crowd-free and family-friendly, while also having the soft beach super close by. They’re also very close to Amalfi, being only 15 minutes away by car. Ah, and by the way, Maiori is THE place to be for pasta lovers!
Plus, hear this out: Maiori is the town with the biggest strip of beach on the entire Amalfi Coast!
How awesome is that? And both of them are also a bit more affordable than their more popular sisters out there, such as Positano or Amalfi. Naturally, I wouldn’t recommend them to people looking for nightlife or clubs that never sleep.
PRO TIP: Traveling last minute and everything decent is already booked out? Check out another less-known town located in between Salerno and Maiori, it is called Cetara, it is less known so you might have some good options there!
That being said, here are the best hotels in both Maiori and Minori:
Luxury (US$110 and up)
- Hotel Botanico San Lazzaro – Here’s one of the most stunning boutique hotels in the entire Maiori, trust me! Some of the awesome facilities here include an on-site spa with Turkish bath, an outdoor pool, massages and beauty treatments as well!
- Hotel San Pietro – Wondering where to stay in Maiori for a true luxurious experience? Then you should take a look at this hotel, you’ll simply fall in love! It offers a 4-star service and the property is actually made of self-catering apartments!
Middle-priced (US$60 – US$110)
- B&B Galatea – If you’re looking for a place to stay that will offer a flawless service for a quarter of the more luxurious hotels, this one’s for you! This is actually a super cozy B&B that awaits with simple but comfortable rooms, free Wi-Fi and more!
- Villa Isabella – You can book a room here if you want to enjoy a nice, local experience for some very good prices! This guest house looks really good, I appreciate the decor decisions here. Plus, you’ll be 5 minutes by car from Amalfi – so great!
Budget (up to US$60)
- B&B Meublè Casa Mannini – Wondering where to stay on a budget on the coast? No worries, this bed and breakfast is just perfect for you! It’s an ideal choice if you want some cute rooms, free Wi-Fi, colorful tiles everywhere and a very friendly staff.
- Minihotel Iris – Here’s another great option in the beautiful village of Maiori that I definitely recommend if you want to enjoy a true, local atmosphere! The hotel consists of only 6 rooms, but each of them has a special, flower-inspired decor!
If you’re looking for a more budget-friendly town on the Amalfi Coast, the port town of Salerno is your answer!
Some may say that Salerno is not actually part of the Amalfi Coast, as it’s right at the end of the coastline, but it still counts as one of the best choices if you’re looking for affordable hotels! Plus, it has the perfect mix of a charming, old Italian town and a lively city.
Another great thing about this town is that it’s a great base if you want easy access to the rest of Italy, such as Rome (around 2 hours) or Pompeii (40 minutes) via train. But staying there will be far from boring as well, as it has plenty of restaurants, cafes and pubs that you can choose from for some relaxation and fun!
PRO TIP: If you are looking for more affordable options, check out Vietri Sul Mare, it is a 20 min ride to Salerno and, for some reason, it is not so known by tourists, so you might have some more options there! Don’t worry – as all the towns on the coast it is super charming too!
Check out the accommodation options below:
Luxury (US$100 and up)
- Hotel Montestella – Here’s a stunning option if you still didn’t find your dream luxury base on the Amalfi Coast! This 4-star hotel has superb rooms and it’s only 400m from the train station, which I think is a very good advantage!
- Dimora Copeta – This beautiful apartment is one of my top choices in this area if you want to be spoiled! It’s ideal for a maximum of 3 people and some of the facilities here include a fully equipped kitchen, 2 bathrooms, free Wi-Fi and more!
Middle-priced (US$60 – US$100)
- Inn Alta Marea – If you’re looking for a mid-range option, then I can definitely recommend this one! Visitors will definitely enjoy the air-conditioned rooms, private bathroom, the kitchen and more. Plus, they serve a delicious, vegan breakfast each morning!
- Antichi Riverberi – You can book a room here if you want to feel at home, even when you’re away from it! This B&B awaits with a local atmosphere, simple and nice rooms, and even a shared kitchen. Plus, you’ll only be 1.4km away from the harbour, so you can easily reach other cities on the coast such as Amalfi, Positano or even Naples!
Budget (up to US$60)
- Vittoria Guest House Salerno – If you want a local vibe and some very comfortable rooms that are just perfect for a pleasant night’s sleep, then make sure you book a room at this beautiful guest house! The prices are really cheap here and, on top of that, you’ll also be close to Vietri sul Mare – another cute village!
- Casa Maria – This guest house is the perfect choice for anyone that’s looking to save some money on their hotel rooms and spend it on something else instead! Airport transfers, free Wi-Fi and a 24-hour front desk – these are just some of the advantages of staying here. Plus, I also suggest visiting Vietri sul Mare, it’s very close!
Furore is hands-down one of the most underrated cities on the Amalfi Coast!
It’s located between Positano and Amalfi and it’s truly gorgeous, right at the base of a cliff. Furore has the power to take you back in time with its cute, gorgeous vacation houses, beautiful murals and the many olive trees scattered everywhere!
There’s also another advantage of staying here: Furore is far more affordable than Positano and Amalfi, at least in terms of accommodation!
Here are the best hotels in Furore I found for you:
Luxury (US$150 and up)
- Le Contrade – If you want to splurge and have an entire vacation home all for yourself, then take a look at this place! This place awaits with free parking, free Wi-Fi, a terrace, an outdoor swimming pool, a garden and more!
- La Mela Blu – Here’s another superb B&B in this village where you’ll enjoy a great experience! One of the nicest activities during your stay will be laying on the cute sun terrace and soaking up the view!
Middle-priced (US$80 – US$150)
- Hotel Bacco – This awesome 3-star hotel is 450m above the sea level and it awaits with some superb views of the sea, trust me! If you book a room here, you’ll have your own secluded paradise in one of the most beautiful places on Earth!
- Roccia Fiorita – This cute guest house is a great choice if your goal is saving some precious money. Some of the pluses of staying here are free parking, a terrace, airport transfers, sea views and more!
Budget (up to US$80)
- La Vela – Wondering where to stay on a budget in this beautiful village, while also being close to both Positano and Amalfi? Here’s your answer! This cute B&B is just perfect for a good night’s sleep, after a full day of exploring the surrounding area! Plus, the rooms have an unbeatable view of the coast!
- Al Geranio B&B – Still didn’t find where to stay on a budget in Furore? Here’s a great choice if you’re looking for a warm, local atmosphere! This B&B is clean and cozy has rooms with a patio or a balcony, free Wi-Fi, an on-site bar, a garden and more!
BONUS: Where to stay on Capri Island
Did you ever dream of visiting the beautiful Italian islands? Capri is not exactly part of the Amalfi Coast, but it’s a gorgeous island in the Bay of Naples that you can visit nevertheless while you’re in the area. It’s easy to do so with the ferry from Positano, for example, but in order to get a full taste of this unique place, I recommend staying there overnight. While you’re there, enjoy the gorgeous hotels, numerous shops and authentic restaurants.
If you want to add Capri in your Italian itinerary, here are some of the best hotels I can recommend:
Luxury (US$160 and up)
- Villa Helios – This superb hotel is THE place to be if you want to feel like royalty – and if you also have the budget for it! This hotel is right in the center of the island, in a natural park and some rooms have sea views – so beautiful!
- Casa Boutique – In case you’re looking for a beautiful holiday home full of personality, here is your answer! This property awaits with free Wi-Fi, a fully equipped kitchen, a cute seating area and many other facilities that you’ll definitely appreciate!
Middle-priced (US$110 – US$160)
- B&B a Casa Mia – Yep, bed and breakfasts are pretty popular in this area of Italy! This one is in the historical center of Anacapri and it awaits with free Wi-Fi, a garden and a terrace – perfect for some relaxation and good times!
- B&B Il Sogno – Here’s another beautiful B&B hosted in a 1950s villa boasting a Mediterranean atmosphere! If you choose a room here, you’ll have access to an outdoor pool and an on-site restaurant as well!
Budget (up to US$110)
- La Reginella – This 2-star hotel is a great place if you want to enjoy this island for a very good price! It’s only 800m from the city center and it awaits with comfy rooms and a lush terrace with a view of the sea!
- Boutique B&B Bettola Del Re – Here’s another budget-friendly B&B that you can choose if your goal is saving some money while still benefiting from an excellent service! This one has a patio, free Wi-Fi, a safety deposit box and more!
Frequently Asked Questions about Amalfi Coast
I couldn’t let you go without answering some of the most common questions about this wonderful destination, am I right? Let’s see:
🇮🇹 What is the best destination in Amalfi Coast?
There are 8 main charming towns on the coast – Positano, Sorrento, Amalfi, Praiano, Ravello, Maiori and Minori, Salerno and Furori. All of these places are simply superb, you just need to choose the one that fits your travel style, budget and preferences!
☀️ WHEN TO VISIT THE AMALFI COAST?
You can visit the Amalfi Coast anywhere from May – September – you’ll have perfect weather and an authentic experience. In detail:
- May – one of the best months, as the weather is good and the flocks of tourists are not yet there
- June – August – high season, crowded but the weather is just great and the parties are taking place all the time, including plenty of festivals. Plus, the water temperature is just perfect!
- September – the weather is still excellent, but it’s a bit less crowded
🚶Where to stay in Amalfi Coast without a car?
Going to Amalfi Coast without a car? No problems! If you are going to base yourself in Sorrento or Salerno, you will certainly have numerous transportation options from there as well as tons of attractions and restaurants in walking distance.
📅 HOW MANY DAYS DO YOU NEED IN AMALFI COAST?
This really depends on your budget, but at least 3 days if you want to get a true taste of the place. I would suggest spending at least 7 days to get a feel and discover the whole coast properly. You won’t get bored even if you stay for 10 days, there are so many places that you can see!
⛵What is the best way to see Amalfi Coast?
You should see the coast from 2 points – by car and from water. Book your trip to Capri starting from Salerno – you will be sailing along the whole length of the coast!
This was my complete guide on Amalfi Coast accommodation! I hope you found this post useful and maybe you already found the perfect hotel for your stay from my lists above!
In this post I told you everything you need to know about the 8 best towns along the Amalfi Coast, Italy with hand-picked hotel recommendations in each of them, all broken down by budget and with fabulous reviews. In short, there’s something for anyone in this article, I promise!
If you need more travel inspiration about Italy, here you can find all our articles about this wonderful country.
- Where to stay in Rome, Italy (with Hotels and Prices)
- Best Places to Stay in Naples – From Budget to Luxury
- Where to stay in Milan – Your Ultimate Guide to the Best Neighborhoods
- 6 Most Crowded Attractions in Rome and How to Avoid the Long Lines
- Best Places to Eat in Rome – Best Restaurants, Cafes and Gelaterias
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!