Known as the fashion capital of Germany, Düsseldorf is the city that everyone will want to visit at some point, particularly during the festival time! So, if you’re preparing for your trip and wondering where to stay in Düsseldorf, then come along, and let’s discover the top places in town!
Altstadt (Old Town) is the best area to stay in Düsseldorf as it has the main attractions and some great hotels. But of course, it isn’t the only option! In this blog post, you’ll find 5 more areas that are super cool, have an urban vibe, and are great for shopping, budget travelers, and families: Friedrichstadt, Medienhafen, Stadtmitte, Oberbilk, and Düsseltal.
And since it’s a big city, I decided to add 2 bonus sections with the best hotels near the airport and the top places to stay near the train station.
Speaking of hotels, I highly recommend booking your accommodations in advance. This city gets many tourists, and you can easily lose your favorite room if you don’t secure it early!
Ready to start this adventure?
- If you are in a hurry
- 1. Altstadt (Old Town) – best area to stay for the first time
- 2. Friedrichstadt – the coolest place to stay in Düsseldorf
- 3. Medienhafen – where to stay for the urban vibe
- 4. Stadtmitte – the best area in Düsseldorf for shopping
- 5. Oberbilk – where to stay in Düsseldorf on a budget
- 6. Düsseltal – the best place to stay for families
- BONUS: Best hotels near the airport
- BONUS 2: Top hotels near the train station
- FAQs about where to stay in Düsseldorf
If you are in a hurry
If you just want to see which are the best hotels in the city, then check out the list below, where I added the top options in the Old Town (the best area):
Best luxury hotel
Old City Apartment
An Airbnb with amazing reviews
Apartement mit Dachterrasse
Best value for money
Barcelona Bed & Breakfast
Best affordable accommodation in the center
Check out the map below if you need some help visualizing all there areas where to stay in Düsseldorf that I’ll be talking about in this post:
1. Altstadt (Old Town) – best area to stay for the first time
Just arrived in Düsseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia? If this is your first time in town, then there’s no better place to stay than Altstadt, which is the Old Town area!
The city center is filled with fun cultural attractions and great restaurants, and has stunning architecture that combines the old with the new in a way that will leave you speechless!
Spend your days here exploring the cobblestone streets, taking pictures of the historic buildings, admiring the contemporary art in the museums, and enjoying the vibrant atmosphere while eating at the fantastic restaurants! Oh yes, there will never be a boring moment here!
Altstadt (Old Town) is surely the first thing to do in Düsseldorf for eager tourists who want to see some iconic attractions like Basilica St. Lambertus or the Hofgarten Park!
And before you ask, yes, there are many hotels in the city center with excellent reviews, but I still recommend booking yours in advance. They’re only a short walk from the heart of the city. Hence these places will sell out super fast!
Relax in the spacious rooms of this centrally located hotel that offers a large buffet breakfast in the morning and family rooms! The accommodation also offers a fitness center, private parking, a restaurant, and a bicycle rental!
Other accommodation options in Altstadt (Old Town)
A modern apartment that has comfortable rooms with a small kitchen, free Wi-Fi, and a terrace with city views
This cozy accommodation offers a complimentary breakfast and rooms with a private bathroom
This stylish apartment is perfect for 2 guests, and it comes with a kitchen, a shared patio, and free Wi-Fi
Living Hotel De Medici by Derag – This is another great hotel in the Old Town, which I had to add! This accommodation has such stylish decor, beautiful furnishings, a spa, and a restaurant as well!
Things to do in Altstadt (Old Town)
- Visit Basilica St. Lambertus and the Town Hall
- Grab a coffee in the Marktplatz
- See some ships at Schifffahrtsmuseum
- Have a drink with a view from the Rhine Tower
2. Friedrichstadt – the coolest place to stay in Düsseldorf
If the Old Town didn’t really sound like your favorite place, then don’t worry, you may find your dream hotel in Friedrichstadt, a super hip neighborhood that has excellent attractions, street art, and a great restaurant and bar scene.
Friedrichstadt is also the type of place where you can admire contemporary architecture pretty much everywhere you look around, and you’ll definitely find an alternative crowd here!
As one of the most modern and multicultural areas in the city, Friedrichstadt is packed with traditional Japanese restaurants, and there are also some Turkish and Bulgarian places to eat that will make you come back for more.
The Düsseldorf Railway Station is also located in this area, so if you want to explore other towns or take short day trips, then I would consider booking a hotel here.
And since we’re on the hotel chapter, let’s check out the best ones around!
Welcome to the best hotel in the area! It has large windows that overlook the city, a furnished balcony where you can enjoy your coffee in the morning, and a fully-equipped kitchen with a dining area.
Other accommodation options in Friedrichstadt
A super modern hotel with a chic design that offers private parking, family rooms, and free Wi-Fi
An affordable hotel that’s set a short walk away from the park and offers spacious rooms and a buffet breakfast
Perfect for a family or group of friends, this apartment comes with a kitchen, free parking, and a balcony
Things to do in Friedrichstadt
- Grab a drink at Bilker Häzz Bar
- Explore the streets and admire the architecture
- Check out the restaurant scene
- Catch a play at the Savoy Theatre
- Go for a walk in Floragarten Park
3. Medienhafen – where to stay for the urban vibe
Architecture lovers, this is surely the best neighborhood in Düsseldorf for you!
You’ll never get tired of admiring the newly-created buildings or walking along the busy streets by the Rhine River in the most modern district in Düsseldorf!
Because of the decline of the port industry, this area looked pretty unwelcoming in the past, but luckily a lot of things have changed, and now Medienhafen’s skyscrapers and innovative buildings are recognized everywhere!
Although fairly basic when it comes to attractions, Medienhafen is right near the Old Town, so you can always hop there to see the art galleries and museums.
However, you’ll still find some great restaurants here and a movie theater, too! Plus, the vibe is so cool around here that you’ll never get tired of walking down the streets and taking pictures!
Now let’s see which is the best hotel for you in this area!
This hotel is perfect for your upcoming trip to Düsseldorf! The accommodation is set right by the Rhine River, and it offers some amazing views and fantastic facilities like a large fitness suite, a restaurant, a bar, and a spa where you can relax after a day of visiting attractions!
Other accommodation options in Medienhafen
A four-star hotel that offers rooms with ceiling-to-floor windows, an outdoor terrace, and a bar
This fabulous hotel have rooms with modern design, access to restaurant, and fitness center with sauna
This great apartment is set waterfront, and it has stylish furniture, lots of space, and a kitchen
Things to do in Medienhafen
- Catch a sunset in Paradiesstrand Düsseldorf Hafen
- Play some golf at the GSV Golf-Sport-Verein Düsseldorf
- Check out the shops in the area
- Catch a movie at UCI Düsseldorf Movie Theater
- Grab dinner at Frank’s Harbour
4. Stadtmitte – the best area in Düsseldorf for shopping
As you might’ve heard (or not), Düsseldorf is basically Germany’s fashion capital!
Oh yes, that’s right! This means that you’ll find lots of amazing department stores where you can get souvenirs to remind you of your trip here, and Stadtmitte is the perfect place to do that!
This ultra-modern neighborhood is packed with great shops where you can spend your afternoons. The hip area is lively and welcomes many tourists who want to explore the fashion world in Düsseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia.
Königsallee Street is the place to be if you’re into high-end shops, as this place has it all, from Tiffany to Chanel! A short walk from this street, you’ll also find more affordable stores like Zara and H&M.
Once your feet get tired of all the walking around, you can stop at one of the cafés or restaurants on Königsallee Street, which is along the beautiful riverbank. There are many in this modern district, and yes, the food (and the view) is just as amazing as the clothes!
Stadtmitte is also the city’s business center, which means that you’ll also find a lot of modern architecture here, which you can admire as you roam the streets looking for the perfect pair of shoes!
Enjoy your stay at this stylish hotel that offers some amazing city views! The five-star hotel offers bright rooms with a lot of space, a private bathroom, and a flat-screen TV. When you’re not exploring the town, you can go for a dip in the indoor pool or head to the spa or fitness centre on-site.
Other accommodation options in Stadtmitte
Chic, modern, and with a great location! This hotel offers an 11th-floor lounge and modern rooms
This centrally-located budget hotel offers some great rooms with free Wi-Fi, a terrace, and room service
A well-equipped apartment that’s super cozy and comes with a kitchen, a comfy bed, and free Wi-Fi
Things to do in Stadtmitte
- Shop until your drop on Königsallee Street
- Check out the restaurants at Little Tokyo Düsseldorf
- Spend a chill afternoon in Hofgarten Park
- Enjoy a beer at Brewery Schumacher
- Catch a show at the Düsseldorfer Schauspielhaus
- Admire the modern art at Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen
5. Oberbilk – where to stay in Düsseldorf on a budget
Located east of the Old Town, Oberbilk is a big area that’s perfect for tourists traveling on a budget! Because it’s a bit further away from the city center than the other neighborhoods mentioned in the post, this area has some great cheap hotels at super affordable prices!
It is also pretty tranquil as there aren’t many big attractions here, so if you were looking for an area that isn’t super loud and crowded, then definitely check out this one.
You can always use public transport to go visit the more central part of the town. Oberbilk has some great connections that will help you get there in no time.
But definitely check out this area too. You can definitely see the more authentic side of Düsseldorf, away from all the skyscrapers and museums here.
And there’s even a big park where you can go for walks, some restaurants and a concert hall!
Feel right at home at this modern hotel in Oberbilk! The accommodation is super stylish, and it comes with a sauna, a fitness center, and a bar. You can start each morning with a yummy breakfast at the restaurant (or order it up to your room) and then head out to explore.
Other accommodation options in Oberbilk
A comfortable hotel that has a welcoming atmosphere, stylish rooms, and a buffet breakfast
The best budget hotel that comes with rooms that have a flat-screen TV, free Wi-Fi, and private parking
Enjoy your stay in Düsseldorf in this apartment that’s pretty spacious and comes with a kitchen and free Wi-Fi
Things to do in Oberbilk
- Grab a coffee at Café Südpark
- Go for a walk in Südpark
- Check out the Mitsubishi Electric Halle
- Enjoy dinner at one of the Southeast Asian restaurants
- Explore the Moroccan and Turkish local stores
6. Düsseltal – the best place to stay for families
Planning a trip with the family in Düsseldorf? I know there are lots of things to consider, but I’m here to help you find the solution to at least a part of them!
I would recommend finding a hotel in Düsseltal, an area that’s far enough from the Old Town to avoid the crowds and the noise but close enough that you can get there without changing too many buses.
The area was known as Düsseldorf-Zoo until 1943 because there was a zoological garden there. Although it’s closed now, you can still visit its park where I think the zoo was located.
The area is pretty tranquil, so you can relax and walk around the streets with your little ones in peace. And when you’re not feeling like exploring the Old Town, you can always head to the park and enjoy a quiet afternoon!
And yes, there are a few great hotels here that are just a short walk away from the attractions, and I’m going to tell you all about them below, so follow me!
This 4-star hotel will make you feel like you’re living in a museum! It’s one of the best boutique hotels, and it has an incredible design, unique furnishings, a terrace, and a great restaurant. They offer family rooms that come with cable TV and modern private bathrooms.
Other accommodation options in Düsseltal
Enjoy the sun by the pool of this hotel that has family rooms, a little garden, and a restaurant
A beautifully-designed budget hotel that has all the facilities you’ll need, including free Wi-Fi and a terrace
This bright and spacious apartment, offers a kitchen, free parking and a balcony with a garden view
Things to do in Düsseltal
- Go for a walk in Zoo Park Düsseldorf with the kids
- Start your morning with coffee at Dritan Alsela Coffee
- Visit all the attractions in the Old Town
- Grab dinner at Lima’s RestoBar
|📍 Best area:||Altstadt (Old Town)|
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:||The Wellem|
|💵 Best mid-range hotel:||Apartement mit Dachterrasse|
|👛 Best budget hotel:||Barcelona Bed & Breakfast|
BONUS: Best hotels near the airport
Since probably many of you will want to stay as close as possible to the airport, I decided to make a whole section with some of the best hotels near the Düsseldorf Airport. Maybe you’ve got a really early flight, or it’s more convenient for you to stay there, either way, you should have the best options!
All the hotels are mid-range and budget, and I’ve ordered them from most to least expensive so you can easily pick your favorite:
- Sheraton Düsseldorf Airport Hotel – This modern hotel is located 8 min away from the airport, and it has everything you need for your trip including a restaurant, a public working area with free Wi-Fi and a restaurant.
- Haus Gerry – Set a 20 min walk away from the airport, this accommodation comes with family rooms that have free Wi-Fi, a TV, and a private bathroom. Guests will also get a parking spot.
- Holiday Inn Express – Düsseldorf Airport – Simple, yet super clean and modern! The hotel is located 15 min away from the airport, and it offers rooms with a flat-screen TV and a private bathroom, a lounge area, and a restaurant.
BONUS 2: Top hotels near the train station
If you want to take a day trip or maybe if you’re visiting a bunch of towns in Germany and you want to stay as close as possible to the Düsseldorf Hauptbahnhof train station, then this section is for you!
I’ve found 3 great mid-range and budget hotels that are perfect for you, and I also ordered them from most to least expensive. So let’s check them out!
- Hampton by Hilton Düsseldorf – Set just a 5 min walk away from the main train station, this accommodation has some spacious and comfortable rooms, a fitness center, and a bar! Start your morning with some breakfast on-site, and then embark on your next adventure!
- Adina Apartment Hotel Düsseldorf – Perfect for anyone who wants to stay near the main train station (which is only a 5 min walk away), this hotel comes with spacious apartment suites that have a small kitchenette, free Wi-Fi, and a flat-screen TV.
- Select Premium Hotel & Apartments – This affordable 3-star hotel is located a 10 min walk away from the Düsseldorf Hauptbahnhof train station, and it offers family rooms, a yummy breakfast in the morning, and free Wi-Fi.
FAQs about where to stay in Düsseldorf
🌆 What is the best area to stay in Düsseldorf?
Altstadt (Old Town) is the best area to stay in Düsseldorf! This historic neighborhood is filled with attractions like the Old Town Hall and great hotels like The Wellem.
🤔 Should I stay in Düsseldorf or Cologne?
It depends on your preferences. Düsseldorf is more affordable and has more parks, while Cologne has a lot of cathedrals and unique old attractions.
📅 How many days are enough for Düsseldorf?
I would recommend spending 3 to 4 days in Düsseldorf. That way, you can explore the entire city center, visit all the attractions and check out all the restaurants.
What a city! I’m sure you’ll have an unforgettable time here!
So today, we’ve seen the best areas where to stay in Düsseldorf and the top hotels in each neighborhood. And because I felt generous, I also added 2 bonus sections with some great hotels near the airport and near the train station!
I know there are many options, but bear in mind that these are some of the top hotels in the city, so it’s super important to book them in advance and secure your room early!
While some may be glad they have a long list of hotels, I know that many readers won’t know where to start and how to pick the best hotel for them. So, if you need a bit of help, check out my 2 favorite options below, both set in the Old Town:
- The Wellem – This great hotel in the city center has such an elegant design, spacious, bright rooms, and a restaurant that serves delicious Italian food.
- Apartement mit Dachterrasse – A great place where to stay in Düsseldorf that comes with a terrace, a kitchen and lots of space.
Yay, I’m so glad you’ve made it to the end of this post and got to see all the incredible areas and luxurious hotels!
We’ve covered a lot today, so if by the end of the post you still got some unanswered questions, you can always drop them in the comment section below, and I’ll make sure to respond as quickly as I can!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!