Bacalar is a small town beside the Bacalar Lagoon in the Mexican Yucatan Peninsula and is becoming more and more popular thanks to its stunning natural beauty and laid-back lifestyle.
Offering countless hotel options, it can be hard to decide which is the best place for your holiday in Bacalar, Mexico. But don’t worry about that, in order to help you with your decision, I created this guide with the BEST hotels where to stay in Bacalar with options for different price ranges!
In this post, you’ll find everything from the best luxury hotels to some cool options for budget travelers, pet-friendly hotels, and even a bonus with the best waterfront hotels… so nobody will be left out.
Since the village of Bacalar, Mexico, is becoming a super popular destination among tourists, I suggest you book your favorite Bacalar hotel at least some months in advance… It will ensure you don’t miss out and you could also find some great hotel deals! Are you ready?
If you are in a hurry
Want to book now? Check out this quick list of the best hotels in Bacalar, from the most expensive to the cheapest ones:
Mia Bacalar Luxury Resort & Spa
Best luxury hotel
Los Aluxes Bacalar
An Airbnb with amazing reviews
Mi Kasa Su Kasa
Best value for money
Zensus Eco Boutique Hotel
Best affordable accommodation
Here’s a map for you to visualize where all the best Bacalar hotels are located:
Luxury (US$180 and up)
- Khaban Bacalar Hotel Boutique – If you want to bring your holiday to the next level, check out this amazing property which is one of the most popular luxury hotels in Bacalar, Mexico! Get ready to try the best food at the on-site restaurant, chill at the outdoor swimming pool, and sleep in spacious rooms with air-conditioning and unbeatable views of Lake Bacalar. This great Bacalar hotel also offers some cool extras, like kayaks, relaxing massages at the wellness center, and yoga sessions on a pontoon.
- Habitas Bacalar – This is definitely one of the best hotels in Bacalar, Mexico, if you’re looking for luxury and 5-star service! Here you’ll start your day in the best way with a delicious and energetic breakfast, refresh yourself with a swim in the outdoor swimming pool, and engage in cool activities like paddling or eFoil. The hotel also has a great location in a very quiet area, great to explore by car (you’ll have access to free parking at the property). Another plus? The staff is very friendly and helpful!
- Hotel Carolina Bacalar – Hotel Carolina Bacalar has everything you need for a relaxing holiday in Bacalar, Mexico, starting from a private beach area where you can soak up some sun on the beach chairs. Here you can enjoy some quiet moments in the spacious terrace, gaze at incredible views of the Bacalar lagoon at the swimming pool, and even join the boat tours organized by the hotel! And if you rent a car in one of the many rental car companies, you can park it in the free private parking of the hotel!
- Hotel Rancho Encantado – As the name suggests, this hotel in Bacalar will just enchant you… how? First of all, with its rustic-style bungalows featuring private balconies and a hot tub, and then with its convenient location within walking distance from the beach! The food is also a highlight here, and you will lucky enough to try it for dinner at the onsite restaurant, or every morning with the delicious free breakfast included. If you are already in love with this hotel, you’ll be happy to know that it also offers room service!
- La Albarina – Get the celebrity treatment in this 5-star accommodation: one of the best hotels in Bacalar, Mexico! Here the private rooms are just amazing, offering lagoon views, a private bathroom, and a spacious terrace all for yourself! In the morning you’ll have access to a delicious free breakfast that will give you the right energy to enjoy the water sports organized by the property like snorkeling! Another plus? The hotel is half a mile from the historic fort San Felipe… What else do you need?
- Hotel Casa Hormiga – I am sure you will fall in love with this property, one of the best boutique hotels in Bacalar, Mexico. Here you’ll have access to some great facilities, like a sun terrace with a swimming pool, a hot tub, and a complimentary breakfast every morning! The spacious rooms are also great, with a private bathroom, air conditioning, and some of them with access to a rooftop patio. The hotel is located only 22 miles from the airport, in case you want to reach other destinations where you can stay in the Riviera Maya!
- Mia Bacalar Luxury Resort & Spa – Mia Bacalar Luxury Resort is one of the most popular hotels in Bacalar, Mexico, and once there you’ll understand why! The property has literally everything you need for a stay full of comforts: a spa and wellness center where you can relax, a restaurant, an outdoor swimming pool, and a fitness center if you want to keep yourself in shape. Other pluses? This pet-friendly hotel offers airport transfers by request and room service… sounds like the best hotel in Bacalar to me!
Mid Range (US$100 – US$150)
- Hotel Aldea 19 Bacalar – Are you ready to see some of the best sunrises of your life right on the Bacalar Lagoon waters? Then check out this amazing mid-range place, one of the best hotels in Bacalar for relaxing & unwinding, offering a 5-star service for some good prices. Here you can completely forget about the stress of your daily life, and just enjoy the best dinners or breakfast at the on-site restaurant and happy hours in the lovely little bar. In my opinion, here you’ll get the best hotel deals in Bacalar, Mexico.
- Blue Bird – If you’re looking for great value for price in Bacalar, Mexico, you will love this beachfront hotel, offering sweeping views of the Bacalar Lagoon! The property is a real oasis of peace: you can spend your days chilling on the terrace or in the garden, featuring hammocks facing the Bacalar Lagoon. And if you feel more active, you can go paddle boarding and kayaking for free, so you explore the area at the same time. The hotel also has a central location near some great restaurants!
- Blue Palm Bacalar – Check out this amazing family-friendly hotel, where you’ll immediately feel at home thanks to its super chilled atmosphere and vibes! The staff are super friendly and always available, and the location is perfect, within walking distance from the Bacalar Lagoon. Here you will have access to all the comforts you need like a great restaurant, a beautiful swimming pool, and a bar to finish your days with a refreshing cocktail… Did I convince you?
- Mi Kasa Su Kasa Bacalar by Nah Hotels – Enjoy peaceful guest rooms with a very cool design in one of the best mid-range hotels in Bacalar! This place has the best location, right in front of the Lagoon and a short car ride from downtown Bacalar. During your days here, you can enjoy free kayaks and paddle boards to explore the waters or just relax in the nice swimming pool. But the greatest thing of all is the lovely staff who were very friendly and helpful: ask them some tips for visiting Bacalar!
- Xcabal Hotel boutique – If you want luxury, comfort, and a home feeling all at the same time, you will love this boutique hotel in Bacalar, Mexico! Here the atmosphere is very cozy and relaxed, and you will feel it as soon as you’ll be welcomed inside the property by the lovely staff. In the Xcabal Hotel boutique, you can wake up with the most delicious breakfast just in your bed, look at the beautiful Bacalar lagoon (isn’t it a dream?), and have the most relaxing massages at the on-site spa… What else do you need?
- Casa Chukum – This great hotel is within a walking distance both from the Bacalar Lagoon beach and downtown Bacalar, so you can choose every day what you prefer to visit (if you’re undecided, ask the staff: they often organize tours for guests!). The rooms offer private balconies with a view straight into the beautiful swimming pool, and they are very quiet at night… so get ready to have the best sleep! Another plus? The breakfast is just delicious: the best day to start a good day!
- Los Aluxes Bacalar – Los Aluxes Bacalar is a small hotel with few rooms and some of the best views in the whole of Bacalar, right on the Bacalar Lagoon. If you want to disconnect from daily life and just enjoy full relaxation, here you won’t be disappointed! The property offers a common space just close to the Lagoon where you can chill, an amazing massage area, and a restaurant where you can dine on delicious Mexican fare at very reasonable prices!
Budget (up to US$80)
- Hotel & Suites Oasis Bacalar – Hotel & Suites Oasis Bacalar is one of the best hotels in Bacalar if you want to save some money without having to renounce quality! The hotel’s location is just perfect to visit Bacalar, being a short distance from the Bacalar lagoon, the city center, the fort san Felipe and all the best restaurants. The rooms and apartments here are spacious and furnished with a full kitchen, perfect for a cozy stay with family or friends. And that’s not all: they even offer a concierge service and room service!
- Hotel Aires Bacalar – Check out this lovely boutique hotel in the center of Bacalar, within walking distance to the ADO bus terminal, perfect to travel to other cities in Mexico and to many good restaurants. The rooms are just great, featuring a balcony with a lake view and very comfy beds to help you have a well-deserved sleep. Take into consideration that this super popular hotel books out months in advance, so you really need to book way before your vacation if you want to stay here!
- Agam Hotel – This very cute little hotel will make you feel immediately at home thanks to its friendly staff and good facilities! In fact, here you’ll find a lovely inside area where you can chill by the pool, very spacious rooms, and a concierge service. Guests particularly love the delicious breakfast served in the morning, and the convenient location within walking distance to the Bacalar Lagoon and some amazing restaurants. A tip? Treat yourself and book a relaxing massage at the property!
- Villas Ecotucan – This eco-friendly hotel is a sustainable property located right on the shores of Bacalar Lagoon, featuring beautiful villas with electricity provided by solar panels. Here you can start your day doing yoga at the private pier at sunrise, and have a big complimentary American breakfast right after… Is there a better way to wake up? Then you can spend your day reading in the library or joining activities like kayaking, bird watching, and jungle walking… the perfect place to disconnect and just enjoy nature!
- Hotel Sun Ha Bacalar – Hotel Sun Ha Bacalar is an amazing option for budget travelers! The property has a beautiful rooftop where you can have stunning views of the Bacalar lagoon and lies within walking distance from downtown Bacalar and some of the best beach clubs. Check out the rooms: they all come with a private bathroom, a flat-screen TV, and air conditioning, plus some of them will provide you with a private balcony. Definitely one of the best hotels in terms of value for the price!
- Hotel Maria Maria – If you’re looking for a place to have a holiday with the family and stay on a budget at the same time, this hotel is for you! In this affordable accommodation, you’ll get great prices and all the comforts you need: a delicious breakfast in the morning offering vegan options, a communal kitchen area with a fridge, and big rooms with private balconies offering the best Lagoon views. The property also organizes many tours and activities to visit Bacalar… ask the staff!
- Hospedaje Casa Poblana – This hotel offers the best prices in Bacalar and a good location in a very quiet part of the town, perfect if you want to enjoy some peace! But if you want to visit Bacalar downtown, no worries: in 10 minutes of walking you’ll be in the center (and at the same time you are just across from the lagoon)! The rooms are simple but perfect, with comfy beds, air conditioning, and very strong wifi. You can also rent a bicycle and explore the surroundings, like the magical cenotes.
- Zensus Eco Boutique Hotel – Check out this amazing boutique hotel: a hidden gem in Bacalar, offering also great prices! This is the perfect place if you want to stay exactly in downtown Bacalar and have a full experience of the city. The rooms are super clean and have private bathrooms with hot water available, a balcony, and air conditioning. But the hotel itself also has great facilities, like an outdoor swimming pool, a restaurant, and a tranquil garden!
|👑 Luxury price:||$250|
|💵 Mid Range:||$100|
|💰 Accommodation prices:||Medium|
|📅 How many days:||3-4|
|👩❤👨 Honeymoon hotel:||Villas Eco-Románticas|
|🌊 Top hotel with a view||Hotel Maria Maria|
|🏖️ Best waterfront hotel||MBH Maya Bacalar Hotel|
|☀️ Best time to go:||January – February|
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:||Mia Bacalar Luxury Resort|
|👪 Most family-friendly:||Blue Palm Bacalar|
|🧳 Best mid-range hotel:||Mi Kasa Su Kasa|
|👛 Best budget hotel:||Zensus Eco Boutique Hotel|
BONUS: 3 amazing waterfront hotels where to stay in Bacalar
Bacalar is primarily known for its beautiful Laguna, hosting the clearest and most stunning waters you’ll ever see in your life, which is called ‘La Laguna de Los Siete Colores’ (the lagoon of seven colors).
So which better way to enjoy the fresh, crystal water than staying right on its shores in a great hotel with beach access, hammocks hanging over the waters, and terraces with stunning views?
Check out this quick list of the best waterfront hotels in Bacalar: they’re all luxury hotels listed from most to least expensive with prices between $200 – $100.
- MBH Maya Bacalar Hotel Boutique – This is definitely one of the best boutique hotels in Bacalar, Mexico, lying right on the Bacalar Lagoon and completely nestled in nature! This is the best hotel if you want to engage in cool activities in and around Bacalar like cycling, kayaking, and canoeing. But the best thing about Maya Bacalar Hotel Boutique is definitely the private rooms, all offering a hot tub and a sauna, isn’t it amazing?
- Villas Eco-Románticas Kúuch Ka´anil – Nestled in tropical gardens right next to Lake Bacalar, these charming and rustic bungalows are the perfect place for a romantic getaway with your special one! In your bungalow, you’ll have access to a private terrace with stunning lagoon views, an outdoor swimming pool, a relaxing spa, and a restaurant serving Mexican and international cuisine!
- Hotel CasaBakal – This 5-star hotel has a spectacular location right at the feet of the Lagoon, and is the perfect place to enjoy many water activities! Here you can take free SUP boards and kayaks and explore the lagoon, or enjoy one of the many tours organized by the property like the private catamaran tour. Otherwise, just chill on the hammocks while sipping refreshing cocktails!
Frequently asked questions about hotels in Bacalar
👑 Which are the best places to stay in Bacalar?
✔️ Is Bacalar worth visiting?
Definitely yes, Bacalar is one of the best places to visit in Mexico, hosting the beautiful Bacalar Lagoon, a stunning lake with fresh and crystal clear waters.
🛎️ Which are the best hotels in Bacalar for luxury?
💚 Is Bacalar safe?
📅 How many days should I spend in Bacalar?
If you want to enjoy the lagoon waters and all the natural attractions of Bacalar you should spend at least 3 full days there: one relaxing in La Playita beach club, one going on a boat trip on the lake, and the last one visiting Los Rapidos.
Here we are at the end of this very extensive guide on the best hotels where to stay in Bacalar, Mexico.
We went through accommodation options for any kind of taste and price range: budget-friendly hotels, luxury resorts, rustic bungalows, stunning waterfront accommodation… I am sure by now you have probably found the perfect choice for your dreamy holiday in Bacalar!
But if you’re still undecided about which hotel to choose, I cannot blame you, we went through countless options! So let me give you extra help with my 2 absolute favorite choices, both with great value for the price:
- Mia Bacalar Luxury Resort & Spa – One of the most popular hotels in Bacalar, Mexico, offering everything you need for a stay full of comforts
- Mi Kasa Su Kasa – This midrange hotel has the best location, right in front of the Lagoon and a short car ride from downtown Bacalar.
If you like something, make sure you book it immediately so you don’t risk losing the spot: Bacalar is fast becoming one of the most loved and popular destinations in Mexico!
I hope you found this post useful to help you book the hotel of your dreams. If you have any questions for me or you have already visited Bacalar and you want to share your experience, please do so in the comments below, I will answer you as soon as I can!
Have the best holiday!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!