Most people probably know Siem Reap as the gateway city to the incredible Angkor Wat Temple! And while that’s true, there are so many more reasons why you should visit this fantastic city! But with so many interesting neighborhoods it can be tough to decide where to stay and for that, I am here to help!
The best area where to stay in Siem Reap is the Old French Quarter! This is where you’ll find top-notch hotels and bars where you can drink, and mingle with other tourists!
But of course, if you’re looking for something a little different, I’ve added 5 more areas that cater to different interests like family activities, markets, luxurious hotels, clubs, and budget travelers. So make sure to check out the other areas too like Taphul Village, Old Market, Charles de Gaulle Boulevard, Pub Street, and Wat Bo.
And since many of you will want to stay at the best hotel near the temple, I also added a bonus section with the top resorts near Angkor Wat to really cover everything you need to consider before deciding. Make sure you don’t skip that part because those places are awesome!
And once you decide which one is your favorite, make your reservations on the spot! Because these hotels disappear super quickly and I don’t want you to miss out!
So much to say, so little time! Let’s start our adventure!
- If you are in a hurry
- 1. Old French Quarter – where to stay in Siem Reap for the first time
- 2. Taphul Village – best place to stay in Siem Reap for families
- 3. Old Market – where to stay in Siem Reap for the markets
- 4. Charles de Gaulle Boulevard – best place to stay for luxury
- 5. Pub Street – where to stay in Siem Reap for nightlife
- 6. Wat Bo – best place to stay in Siem Reap on a budget
- BONUS: Best resorts near Angkor Wat Temple
- FAQs about hotels in Siem Reap
If you are in a hurry
Who’s ready to book right this minute? I know there are some courageous souls who can’t wait to find a place. So if you don’t want to read the whole post, check out the list below, it has the best hotels in the French Quarter:
La Rivière d’ Angkor Resort
Best luxury hotel
An Airbnb with amazing reviews
Best value for money
The Twizt – Lifestyle Hostel
Best affordable accommodation in the center
If I were you I’d definitely check out the map below. It will help you visualize all the areas where to stay in Siem Reap that I’ll talk about in the post:
1. Old French Quarter – where to stay in Siem Reap for the first time
If you’re looking for a well-rounded experience, then you can’t pick a better area to stay in Siem Reap than the Old French Quarter!
Centrally located, this neighborhood offers the perfect mix of unique temples to visit during the day and fun nightclubs to party in at night! That’s what is waiting for you while traveling through South-East Asia!
As you know, Siem Reap is the gateway town to the largest religious monument in the world, Angkor Wat, but there’s more to the city than just that! And there’s no better place than the Old French Quarter to start your Cambodian adventures!
There are still many colonial buildings and architecture, especially in this area, which, combined with the traditional temples and classic Chinese shophouses, give the city a super multicultural vibe.
Since the Old French Quarter is just a stone’s throw away from most attractions like the Royal Residence and the iconic Angkor Archaeological Park, many tourists book their hotels here. So I recommend making your reservations super early, because this place is packed with visitors!
Of course, the Old French Quarter is also absolutely filled with restaurants where you can indulge in international cuisine and fun bars. So once you’re fully rested, head out to explore this vibrant neighborhood!
Set between lush tropical gardens, this amazing resort offers traditionally-decorated bungalows, a large outdoor pool, and an on-site restaurant that serves delicious food! When you’re not out exploring the Old French Quarter, enjoy some spa treatments or chill on the sun terrace!
Other accommodation options in Old French Quarter
An elegantly-decorated hotel that has family rooms with a private balcony and a saltwater pool
The best hostel in town at a super affordable price, a swimming pool, and a private beach area
A fabulous place in Siem Reap that has a lot of space, free wifi, a kitchen, and air conditioning
As you’ve probably noticed, the Old French Quarter is pretty popular! Since it’s set right in the center of Siem Reap, everyone wants to stay here, which means that the hotels will sell out super fast. That’s why I decided to offer 3 more options in case the ones above are already sold out. All hotels are luxury with prices from US$100 and up
- Shinta Mani Angkor & Bensley – Bright rooms with big windows and lovely decor! This boutique hotel has everything you’ll need for your stay in Siem Reap including a swimming pool, a restaurant, and a spa! Of course, you’ll have access to room service and free parking as well!
- Koulen Hotel – Enjoy delicious traditional food at this amazing hotel which has a pool and a garden area with sun loungers where you can relax. The accommodation offers modern rooms with a balcony, and a seating area, plus some spa services and fun activities like cooking classes and bike tours.
- Memoire d’ Angkor – Start your holiday in Siem Reap with a nice massage at the spa center of this hotel that has a restaurant and a bar! Guests will have access to a free airport shuttle bus, yoga classes, plus some fun things to do like themed dinner nights and tours.
Things to do in Old French Quarter
- Explore the peaceful Preah Ang Chek Preah Ang Chorm Shrine
- See unique artifacts at Angkor National Museum
- Shop for souvenirs at the Made in Cambodia Market
- Attend the Full Moon Night Market
- Visit the Royal Residence
- Spend a fun night at Platinum Entertainment KTV
2. Taphul Village – best place to stay in Siem Reap for families
Exploring one of the most exciting cities in Cambodia with the kids? Well, then I’d recommend looking for hotels in an area that’s close to central Siem Reap, but not exactly in the city center as it’s super busy and crazy!
I’d recommend Taphul Village, which is located west of the Old French Quarter, just far enough for you to enjoy a bit of tranquility in this busy area!
You’ll be within walking distance from many shopping malls, and lots of restaurants, obviously! While the neighborhood doesn’t really offer many attractions itself, it’s super well connected to public transport that will take you to the Angkor Wat temples, plus you’re just a stone’s throw away from the other temples in the Old French Quarter and the Royal Independence Gardens where you take the kids to play and enjoy a breath of fresh air.
Now let’s check out the hotels here:
This amazing boutique hotel has spacious rooms for families with a balcony that leads straight to the outdoor swimming pool! Enjoy a delicious family breakfast and then try one of their many activities, maybe cooking classes or a bike tour with the kids!
Other accommodation options in Taphul Village
Set just a short walk away from the attractions, this modern hotel has great family rooms and a pool
The best hostel in the area has a lush garden, a restaurant, and rooms for families
A peaceful place located in a lush setting with a relaxing outdoor pool and a courtyard view
Things to do in Taphul Village
- Go on a guided tour to Angkor Temple
- Shop for souvenirs in all the boutique stores
- Attend the Angkor Night Market
- Visit the Royal Independence Gardens in the Old French Quarter
- Enjoy a family dinner at Madam Moch Khmer Restaurant
3. Old Market – where to stay in Siem Reap for the markets
This is the ultimate place for anyone who wants to experience as much of Siem Reap markets at night as possible!
The Old Market lies on the banks of Siem Reap River and it’s famous for its night markets and clubs! Yep, this is where everyone comes to shop, eat and drink!
This is a super lively neighborhood, and although during the day you can roam around the streets, the best way to enjoy its magic is after the sun is setting between the countless temple columns.
Named after the actual Old Market, which is the place to go if you want to buy clothes, souvenirs, and food (basically anything and everything), the area is also home to a beautiful Buddhist temple and gardens, which you should surely visit.
Sharing the same busy atmosphere as most of the places in Siem Reap, the Old Market sits just a 15-minute drive away from the famous Angkor Temple. The best way to get there is by joining a tour and luckily there are many that take you from Siem Reap to the temple.
Now, this is my type of place! This amazing residence is decorated with handcrafted elements and has an in-house restaurant. Guests are welcome to relax at the spa center, explore the garden and go for a dip in the outdoor swimming pool at this beautiful boutique hotel!
Other accommodation options in Old Market
The best mid-range hotel in Old Market that offers a tranquil setting, a pool, and an onsite restaurant
Feel at home in this cozy hotel in Siem Reap that has family rooms with private balconies and a garden
Enjoy your morning coffee on the patio of this trendy apartment that has a kitchen and free wifi
Things to do in Old Market
- Eat delicious food in the Old Market
- Have fun exploring the streets at night
- Visit the Wat Preah Prom Rath temple
- Catch a sunset near Siem Reap River
- Enjoy a cup of coffee at Sister Srey
- Take a guided tour to Angkor Wat
4. Charles de Gaulle Boulevard – best place to stay for luxury
As one of the most exclusive places to stay in Siem Reap, this boulevard is lined up with luxury hotels and resorts.
The area is perfect for those of you who left the partying days behind and are looking for an area that isn’t super busy or packed with clubs. On the contrary, on Charles de Gaulle Boulevard you’ll find a few cultural attractions like the Angkor National Museum, but also shopping malls!
Many tourists prefer to stay here because the Boulevard is directly linked to the road leading to the Angkor Wat Temple complex, and you’ll most likely arrive quicker if you stay at one of the hotels here.
As I mentioned this area is pretty chill and most people who come here are looking for a peaceful getaway. Plus, there are numerous gardens around Charles de Gaulle Boulevard, which are worth a visit!
However, you can always head to the Old French Quarter or Old Market if you’re craving some evening entertainment!
Now let’s see all the amazing hotels around here:
Enjoy your dream holiday in this luxury hotel in Siem Reap that offers lush private gardens! The award-winning hotel has an outdoor pool, an in-house restaurant, and a bar. Away from the hustle and bustle of the city, this boutique property is an oasis of silence where guests can relax in the spa!
Other options in Charles de Gaulle Boulevard
Uniquely decorated with antique furniture, this boutique hotel has a sauna and an outdoor pool
Set among lush gardens, this boutique hotel offers a swimming pool, a spa, and family rooms
Chill by the swimming pool of this super cool place that has 2 spacious rooms, a garden, and a kitchen
Things to do in Charles de Gaulle Boulevard
- Learn new things at Angkor National Museum
- Enjoy a cup of coffee at Pople
- Buy cool souvenirs from Cambodian Cottage Industries
- Grab dinner at Hot Stone Restaurant
- Go for a sunset walk along the Siem Reap River
- Wake up before sunrise to visit the Angkor Wat Temple complex
5. Pub Street – where to stay in Siem Reap for nightlife
Looking to party and explore Siem Reap at night? Well, then I think you’ll love the lively Pub Street!
As you may have guessed, this area is basically a street filled with nightclubs and is super popular with backpackers, so you’ll most likely meet lots of new and future friends here!
What’s great about the famous Pub Street is that it’s located right near the Old Market, and not too far from Downtown Siem Reap so you can easily walk to any of the attractions there.
Here you won’t find any cultural attractions or things like that however after the sun sets, the fun begins! That’s when everyone opens their doors, the night market starts and the drinking begins!
Although the restaurants are great here, I highly recommend experiencing the night market, it’s basically a must to attend one of those while traveling around Southeast Asia, and the atmosphere at this one is super unique! Plus the food is absolutely delicious!
Relax with a long massage after a full night of going out in busy Pub Street at this luxurious hotel with an outdoor swimming pool! Surrounded by lush (private) gardens, the accommodation offers yummy traditional meals at the hotel restaurant and a free airport shuttle bus.
Other accommodation options in Pub Street
The best mid-range hotel on Pub Street that comes with a swimming pool and a fitness center
Modern and comfortable Pub Street hotel that has air-conditioned rooms, a spa, and a restaurant
Perfect for 2 people, this place comes with a hot tub, an indoor fireplace, and a swimming pool
Things to do in Pub Street
- Grab dinner at Temple Food n Beverage
- Have the best time at the night market
- Enjoy some burgers at Jungle Burger Sports Bar
- Shop for unique pieces at Bodia in Siem Reap
- Go for drinks at Temple Club on the lively Pub Street
6. Wat Bo – best place to stay in Siem Reap on a budget
Looking for a super affordable place to stay in Siem Reap? Well, by now you probably know that this area is any budget backpacker’s dream come true!
Yep, if there’s one thing that you can find cheap in Siem Reap is hotels! However, the area that has the biggest concentration of hostels and budget places is Wat Bo.
Set right across the Siem Reap River from the Old French Quarter, Wat Bo is home to one of the oldest temples in the city (that’s how the area got its name) plus to a few unique art galleries where you can see the works of local artists and even attend workshops.
Wat Bo also has a super convenient location within walking distance from the city center, where you can find even more art galleries and other attractions as well.
However, the atmosphere in this area will definitely make you want to spend as much time as possible here! Wat Bo is full of green spaces, and if you explore around for a bit, you’ll notice tons of colorful flower decorations which make the perfect picture background (if you ask me).
But I don’t want to give you too many spoilers so let’s find the best hostel in Wat Bo:
I love the contemporary and minimalist design of this hotel that’s surrounded by lush greenery! Chill by the swimming pool when you’re not out exploring around Wat Bo and eat the most delicious food at the on-site restaurant after a nice spa sesh! Each room at the hotel is beautifully decorated with Cambodian artifacts and has lots of space.
Other accommodation options in Wat Bo
This 4-star hotel offers spa services, a swimming pool, and lots of activities like cooking classes
Feel at home in this cozy guesthouse that has simply decorated rooms and a swimming pool
This house is super special, it’s an authentic house decorated with statues that has a pool and a backyard!
Things to do in Wat Bo
- Visit the super-old Wat Bo temple
- Admire the local art at Treeline Gallery
- Catch a show at Bambu Stage Siem Reap
- Get some nice accessories from Ammo Jewelry Design
- Drink some bubble tea at Cojitea Siem Reap
- See Khmer music & dance performances at Angkor Village Apsara Theatre
- Grab a delicious meal at Vitking House
|👑 Luxury price:||$150|
|💵 Mid Range:||$70|
|💰 Accommodation prices:||Low|
|📍 Best area:||Old French Quarter|
|👪 Best area for families:||Taphul Village|
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:||La Rivière d’ Angkor Resort|
|💵 Best mid-range hotel:||Chateau d’Angkor|
|👛 Best budget hotel:||The Twizt – Lifestyle Hostel|
BONUS: Best resorts near Angkor Wat Temple
If you’re heading to Siem Reap mainly to visit the famous Angkor Wat Temple, then you’ll need a place that’s close enough so you can arrive there as quickly as possible and probably want to avoid staying right in the hustle of Siem Reap.
Luckily I’ve found a couple of incredible resorts not too far from the temple, that offers incredible facilities and everything you need! And if you’re looking for the best way to visit the temple, check out this post. It has many helpful tips!
Luxury (US$150 and up)
- Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort – Set between the tropical trees, this fantastic resort is only a 10-minute drive away from the iconic Angkor Wat Temple. What better way to enjoy your holiday than to try different spa massages, play golf and eat yummy food! This resort offers all that and more including some fun board games, 3 restaurants, and a fitness center.
- Jaya House River Park – Not a big fan of the city noise and want to do nothing but chill by the swimming pools during this adventurous trip to Siem Reap? Then book your room at this amazing hotel that is located 3 miles (5km) away from Angkor Wat Temple. Each room is tastefully-decorated with simple elements and has a small outdoor patio where you can enjoy your morning coffee. Other facilities include two swimming pools, a spa center, and a bar.
- Shintana Saya Residence – Definitely the kind of place that feels like home! I like how the decor is super simple and minimalistic, focused on light color tones. This luxury resort offers spacious rooms with large windows overlooking the pool. When you’re back from visiting Angkor Wat Temple, which is only a 15-minute drive away, head to the spa or take a dip in the salt-water pool.
Mid Range (US$40 – US$80)
- Lotus Blanc Resort – Looking for something a bit more affordable where to stay in Siem Reap? Then I think you’ll like this resort! Set a 20-minute drive away from Angkor Wat Temple, the accommodation offers spacious rooms that have a balcony with amazing views! Indulge in all the delicious food at the 3 restaurants on-site, and sunbather on the sun loungers by the swimming pool when you’re not in the mood to explore Siem Reap!
FAQs about hotels in Siem Reap
📅 How many days should you spend in Siem Reap?
I’d recommend spending between 3 to 4 days in Siem Reap. That will give you enough time to visit the attractions in the city and of course, visit the famous Angkor Wat temple.
🤔 What is there to do in Siem Reap besides Angkor Wat?
There are many other things to do in Siem Reap besides visiting the temple. There are lots of night markets, clubs, and more unique temples inside the city, which you shouldn’t miss while you’re in town!
🌃 Is it safe to walk around Siem Reap at night?
Yes, it’s safe to walk around Siem Reap at night, since a lot of things happen at night, like the markets and the club openings, but avoid remote areas where there aren’t tourists or people.
🤩 Which is the best area in Siem Reap?
Old French Quarter is the best area where to stay in Siem Reap! This central neighborhood has many restaurants and some of the top attractions in the city. Plus, you’ll find a wide range of hotels here like the amazing La Rivière d’ Angkor Resort.
Already falling in love with Siem Reap and Cambodia? Well, at least now you’re more than prepared to make the best decision and pick an area that’s suited for you, whether that be a luxury resort or the best hostel.
We’ve now gone through all the best areas where to stay in Siem Reap, plus a list of the top resorts near the famous Angkor Wat Temple so you should have plenty of options.
But I know it takes forever to pick the best hotel whenever you’re traveling, especially in such a unique place like Siem Reap. So if you need some extra help, check out my 2 favorite hotels below. Both are located in the Old French Quarter:
- La Rivière d’ Angkor Resort – Set among the tropical trees, this is the best luxury hotel as it offers a spa center, a free pick-up service from the airport, and bike tours
- Chateau d’Angkor – A fabulous mid-range hotel that comes with an outdoor swimming pool, a breakfast buffet, and many activities
I’ve searched the whole web for the most amazing hotels and what I’ve noticed is that they all sell out fast! Especially the good ones, so book yours in advance and know that you’ve secured your holiday!
Now you’ve finished this super insightful guide with the best places to stay in Siem Reap! I know it was a lot to take in, but I always like to keep you super informed. However, if I missed anything, just pop a comment in the section below and I’ll answer as soon as I can!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!