It is no surprise that San Antonio is called the “American Venice” thanks to the stunning San Antonio river that passes through the heart of the city. This beautiful city is one of the oldest cities in Texas and won’t disappoint you at all with its historical architecture, cultural sites, nightlife, and amazing food scene!
You will love strolling along the famous River Walk that offers spectacular views and discovering many nice historical museums such as the San Antonio Museum of Art, San Antonio Art League, and art galleries. If you are looking for fun attractions you’re in luck! This city has some of the most famous amusement parks in the US such as SeaWorld San Antonio and Six Flags Fiesta Texas. So you see, no matter if it is a family trip or a journey to discover history and culture, you can have it all in San Antonio!
Let’s come back to the main aim of this blog post, which is to find an answer to where to stay in San Antonio, Texas. I have looked through all of the best of the best hotels in San Antonio and picked my favorite ones that have perfect location and facilities. I am sure when you see them you won’t want to miss them so be quick to secure your place and get a better deal!
Now, are you ready to discover the beautiful neighborhoods of San Antonio?
- If you are in a hurry
- 1. Downtown/Riverwalk – where to stay in San Antonio for the first time
- 2. Southtown & La Villita – the best area in San Antonio for nightlife
- 3. Northwest – where to stay in San Antonio for families
- 4. Pearl – the coolest area to stay in San Antonio
- 5. West San Antonio – where to stay in San Antonio on a budget
- Frequently asked questions about San Antonio
If you are in a hurry
Here are the best places to stay in San Antonio from luxury to budget. They all have very good reviews and great locations!
Thompson San Antonio
Best luxury hotel
Modern Studio Downtown
An Airbnb with amazing reviews
Canopy By Hilton
Great value for money
Hotel Gibbs Downtown
Best affordable accommodation in the center
Here is a map about where to stay in San Antonio, Tx with the 5 best areas I will be talking about so you can easily visualize them:
the coolest area
on a budget
1. Downtown/Riverwalk – where to stay in San Antonio for the first time
Downtown San Antonio is the heart of the city and the best place to stay for travelers visiting San Antonio for the first time thanks to its cultural attractions, great museums, and trendy restaurants. Whether you are a museum enthusiast or foodie, you won’t be disappointed here!
The most charming area in Downtown San Antonio is Riverwalk where you will see stunning views of the San Antonio River. Enjoy a stroll here and pick one of many charming cafes to sit down and spend some time people-watching. Then, check out great museums like the San Antonio Museum of Art and the other fun attractions in downtown San Antonio. At night, grab a ticket to a music event after a fancy dinner, how does that sound?
I did my homework and found the best places to stay in San Antonio Downtown and now it is time to do yours by making a reservation in advance. That is of course if you don’t want to miss the best of the best ones that I picked for you. If you plan to continue your holiday in Texas, check out the best places to stay in Austin.
Let’s have a look at the best places to stay in San Antonio downtown:
This 5-star hotel located in central San Antonio is the best luxury hotel to stay in the city. You will love the spacious hotel rooms that have floor-to-ceiling windows with panoramic views and luxury amenities. There is an amazing rooftop pool, a spa with a hot tub, and a chic on-site bar and restaurant. The San Antonio Museum of Art and River Walk is within walking distance.
Other options in Riverwalk/Downtown San Antonio
This hotel has a central location and offers spacious rooms with a river view, free wi-fi, a fitness center, and a bar
Hotel Gibbs Downtown is located at the heart of the city center and features comfortable rooms, a fitness center, and on-site parking
This Airbnb has modern rooms with great amenities, a fully furnished kitchen and is within walking distance to the restaurants
If you want to stay in the area of River Walk in particular, here are some more accommodation options for all budgets.
- Luxury: Mokara Hotel & Spa – One of the best luxury hotels in River Walk that has a large rooftop pool, spacious rooms with a panoramic city view, an on-site restaurant, and a very chic bar
- Mid Priced: Menger Hotel – Feel like you’re in a movie in this regal family friendly hotel with beautiful decoration and an outdoor pool
- Budget: Fairfield Inn & Suites – This centrally located hotel is within walking distance to all main city attractions and has comfortable rooms, free wifi, and a swimming pool
- Airbnb: 2BR NYC Style – This Airbnb is located at the heart of Riverwalk and has rooms with modern amenities, an amazing sun terrace, and a rooftop pool overlooking the city
Things to do in Riverwalk/Downtown San Antonio
- Marvel at the artworks in the Briscoe Western Art Museum
- Visit the Guinness World Records Museum
- Explore the Buckhorn Saloon & Texas Ranger Museum and have a drink and food inside
- Visit the San Antonio Museum of Art
- Catch a show at the Tobin Center for the Performing Arts
- Go for a walk and check out amazing views at San Antonio Riverwalk
- Have a cocktail at Soho Wine and Martini Bar
2. Southtown & La Villita – the best area in San Antonio for nightlife
Southtown and La Villita are neighbors located 1 mile (2 km) south of downtown San Antonio. If you want to be within walking distance of nightclubs, bars, and restaurants, you are at the right place!
I am sure you won’t have difficulty finding great dining and bar hopping in Southtown but before partying, don’t forget to allow some time for sightseeing as there are many nice museums and tourist sites here too! If you go to La Villita Historic Arts Village, you won’t be able to stop taking photos for a second as it’s one the most picturesque places in San Antonio with cute historic buildings by the river, cafes, and craft shops!
By staying in Southtown or La Villita you will also be very close to the city center, so this area is also a good alternative for those who cannot find a place downtown. Since you are in Texas, why not add another cool city to your travel itinerary, check out the best places to stay in Houston.
Now, here are the best places to stay in San Antonio for nightlife:
Hilton Palacio is one of the best places to stay in San Antonio if you want to enjoy river views. Located in the city center, this hotel boasts a very nice outdoor pool, a sun terrace, spacious rooms with river views, and a good fitness center. You can have drinks at the rooftop bar with a friendly atmosphere and enjoy a great breakfast in the morning.
Other options in Southtown & La Villita, San Antonio
This boutique hotel has a fitness center, comfortable rooms with a fully equipped kitchen, free wi-fi and an on-site bar
This hotel is one of the best places to stay in San Antonio on a budget with its modern rooms and easy access to the city center
This Airbnb offers beautifully decorated rooms with modern amenities, free wifi, and a nice garden
Things to do in Southtown & La Villita, San Antonio
- Visit the San Antonio Art League and Museum
- Have a delicious dinner at Rosario’s Mexican Café Y Cantina
- Discover the beautiful streets of the La Villita Historic Arts Village
- Have a cocktail at Bar 1919
- Dance till the early hours of the morning at Bonham Exchange
- Party at Jokesters 22 Pub N Grub
3. Northwest – where to stay in San Antonio for families
Northwest is located 8 miles (12 km) north of San Antonio downtown and is the best place to stay in San Antonio for families. From family hotels to fun attractions, you have everything you need to have the best time with your kids here!
In the Northwest, you can go hiking at the beautiful Government Canyon, have fun with kids at the aquapark, and have delicious family dinners in one of many nice restaurants. If you go to North San Antonio you will also find the famous amusement park, Six Flags Fiesta Texas. This can only add to the awesome reasons to travel to North San Antonio, right?
Thanks to its great family attractions, North San Antonio is the most convenient place to stay in San Antonio with kids and I have already picked the best family hotels for you.
Located in North San Antonio, this beautiful hotel offers free airport shuttle service to San Antonio International Airport, spacious family rooms with a pool view, a fitness center, and a nice on-site restaurant. You can enjoy swimming in the large outdoor pool with your kids, have delicious snacks in the lush garden area, and drink cocktails. Estancia del Norte is definitely my pick for the best luxury place to stay in San Antonio for families.
Other accommodation in Northwest, San Antonio
This hotel has spacious family rooms, an outdoor pool, a nice sun terrace, and a very good breakfast
This hotel features an outdoor pool, free parking, a fitness center, an on-site restaurant, family rooms, and free wifi
Things to do in Northwest, San Antonio
- Go hiking at Government Canyon State Natural Area
- Have a nice family dinner at Rudy’s Country Store and Bar-BQ
- Take a golf lesson at Oak Hills Country Club
- Have fun at the waterpark Aquatica San Antonio
- Go for dinner at Alamo BBQ Co
- Take a day trip to the amazing theme park Six Flags Fiesta Texas
4. Pearl – the coolest area to stay in San Antonio
Pearl is located in North San Antonio just 1 mile (2 km) from Downtown. Once you step into this neighborhood you will instantly realize how cool this area is!
Pearl is surrounded by beautiful historical buildings and it is so much fun to get lost in its streets checking out designer boutiques, cool cafes, and trendy bars. If you are a foodie there is an amazing selection of restaurants and food courts, local breweries, and bakeries here. At night you can take a pint in local bars, listen to live music, and mingle with locals. How does that sound?
By staying in Pearl you will still be within walking distance to downtown San Antonio and will be able to enjoy local experiences in a hip area. Making this another great area to choose if Downtown happens to be booked out.
Let’s check out the best places to stay in North San Antonio Pearl:
Hotel Emma is the best place to stay in San Antonio with its upscale facilities. This 5-star hotel has deluxe rooms with luxury amenities, a fancy swimming pool, a fully-equipped fitness center, and on-site parking. You will love the cozy lounge area with a fireplace and the chic bar that offers a great selection of drinks. San Antonio International Airport is just 8 miles (10 km) away.
Other accommodation options in Pearl, San Antonio
This hotel has modern rooms with a fully equipped kitchen, an outdoor swimming pool, a fitness center, and free parking
This is the best place to stay in San Antonio Pearl on a budget. It has spacious rooms, a kitchen, and a nice garden area
This pet-friendly Airbnb offers cabin style accommodation with a nice private balcony, spacious rooms, and a fully furnished kitchen
Things to do in Pearl, San Antonio
- Take a pint at the Pearl Brewery
- Have a homemade ice cream at Lick Honest Ice Creams
- Go shopping at the Pearl Farmers Market
- Have delicious food and drinks at Southerleigh Fine Food and Brewery
- Go for dinner with live music at Jazz, TX
- Sip amazing cocktails at Blue Box Bar
- Try foods from international cuisines at the Bottling Dept Food Hall
- Visit the San Antonio Zoo
5. West San Antonio – where to stay in San Antonio on a budget
West San Antonio is located 3 miles (5 km) west of downtown San Antonio and is the best place to stay in the city if you are traveling on a budget. Here you will be able to find relatively cheap hotels but don’t worry, this area is just not all about budget accommodation, you will find some of the most popular attractions here too!
West San Antonio is famous for having one of the largest theme park-focused aquariums in the world, Seaworld San Antonio. You can discover the underwater world, see more than 39,000 animals, and have fun at the aqua park and amusement park. In West San Antonio you will also be able to find affordable local restaurants, lush green parks, and shops.
Hyatt is one of the best places to stay in San Antonio with amazing facilities such as a swimming pool with a water park surrounded by beautiful trees, a BBQ area, a nice onsite restaurant, and spacious rooms with garden views. You can enjoy working out at the fitness center while watching the nice garden views and taking golf lessons at the onsite golf courses. San Antonio International Airport is just 15 miles (20 km) away.
Other accommodation options in West San Antonio
This hotel has an indoor pool, a fitness center, comfortable rooms, a great breakfast, and free parking
This is one of the best places to stay in San Antonio on a budget that offers modern rooms, free parking, a fitness center, and free wifi
Centrally located in West San Antonio, this Airbnb has a very beautiful garden, spacious rooms, and a fully furnished kitchen
Things to do in West San Antonio
- Discover the underwater world at the Seaworld San Antonio
- Go for a walk at Woodlawn Lake Park
- See the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Little Flower
- Play mini-golf at Cool Crest Miniature Golf Course
- Have delicious snacks at De Wese’s Tip Top Cafe
|👑 Luxury price:||$200|
|💵 Mid-range hotel:||$150|
|💰 Accommodation prices:||Medium|
|📍 Best Area:||Downtown San Antonio|
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:||Thompson San Antonio|
|👛 Best budget hotel:||Hotel Gibbs Downtown|
Frequently asked questions about San Antonio
🗺️ What is the best area to stay in San Antonio?
If you are visiting San Antonio for the first time, the Downtown area is the best place to stay in San Antonio thanks to its proximity to cultural attractions and museums. Some of the best hotels I highly recommend here are Thompson San Antonio and Canopy By Hilton.
❌ Where should I not stay in San Antonio?
Located on the Southeast Side of Texas, Pecan Valley and East Terrell Hills are the areas you should not stay in San Antonio due to the high crime rate.
👫 What is the best place to stay in San Antonio for couples?
Downtown San Antonio is the best place to stay in San Antonio for couples offering nice river views and romantic restaurants. Some of the best hotels here for couples are Thompson San Antonio and Canopy By Hilton.
👨👩👦👦 Where to stay in San Antonio for families?
Northwest San Antonio is the best area to stay for families thanks to its safe atmosphere, family-friendly attractions, and hotels. Some of the best places to stay in the Northwest for families are Embassy Suites Hilton and La Quinta Wyndham.
🛎️ Best Hotels in San Antonio Riverwalk?
Mokara Hotel & Spa and Hotel Gibbs Downtown are some of the best hotels to stay in San Antonio Riverwalk
🤔 What should I not miss in San Antonio Texas?
Here are the top attractions you should see in San Antonio:
● SeaWorld San Antonio,
● The San Antonio Museum of Art
● Six Flags Fiesta Texas
● La Villita Historic Arts Village
● San Antonio Art League and Museum
● Guinness World Records Museum
I hope you enjoyed reading about the best hotels from luxury to budget in the top areas where to stay in San Antonio, TX. By now you should be ready to start the countdown until your trip!
If you are a person like me who likes to discover cities on foot, I highly recommend you stay in San Antonio downtown but all of the areas I mentioned have a lovely vibe so I let you decide your hotel according to your taste, as I am sure these hotels will not disappoint you!
I would like to remind you again that in order not to miss your favorite place to stay in San Antonio and get better deals on hotels, do not forget to make a reservation in advance!
After giving you so many great hotel options, I know you might be feeling a little overwhelmed. So to help those of you who might be a bit indecisive, here are my favorite 2 San Antonio hotels that have convenient locations as well as good reviews:
- Thompson San Antonio – One of the best luxury hotels in downtown San Antonio with comfortable rooms
- Canopy By Hilton – Ideally located in downtown San Antonio, a great place to stay by the San Antonio river
If you have any other suggestions or questions about San Antonio and Texas please do not hesitate to leave a comment below. I’ll be glad to leave a reply to them!
Enjoy your time in San Antonio,
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!