Louisville is the largest and most populated city in the state of Kentucky, offering amazing parks, countless restaurants, delicious whiskey, the famous Kentucky Derby horse race, and much more!
Since all of Louisville’s cool attractions are left off of many traveler’s bucket lists, you could have a hard time finding useful information about where to stay in Louisville, KY. For this reason, I created this neighborhood guide with the best areas in the city divided by interest, including accommodation options for different price ranges… so you don’t have to make any effort!
The best place to stay is Old Louisville, as it is the center of all the action. But if you prefer something a little different, Downtown Louisville is great for families, Waterfront Park has the best water views, Louisville East is super laid-back, and the cool Butchertown is pretty unique. In this city, there’s something for literally everyone!
The only thing you have to remember is to book your favorite hotel as soon as you can, to make sure you have a spot and maybe find some great deals. Well, enough talking…
Let’s jump right in!
- If you are in a hurry
- 1. Old Louisville – where to stay for the first time
- 2. Downtown – the best area in Louisville, KY for families
- 3. Waterfront Park – for the best views in Louisville
- 4. Louisville East – the quietest area where to stay in Louisville
- 5. Butchertown & East Market – coolest place to stay in Louisville
- FAQs about hotels in Louisville, KY
If you are in a hurry
Need to book your Louisville hotel now? Check out this quick list of the best hotels in Louisville, divided by price range:
Omni Louisville Hotel
Best luxury hotel
An Airbnb with amazing reviews
Best value for money
Holiday Inn Express
Best affordable accommodation in the center
Here’s a map with the best areas where to stay in Louisville, KY, so you can easily visualize them:
the best views
laid back area
the coolest area
1. Old Louisville – where to stay for the first time
With its many attractions, delicious restaurants, and historic charm, Old Louisville is definitely the best place to stay in Louisville, KY, for any first-timer!
In fact, the neighborhood is a perfect representation of the city as one side of the area hosts the largest collection of restored Victorian homes in the US on charming leafy streets, and the other more modern side offers cool parks, shopping options, upscale dining places, and good breweries!
Talking about drinks, Old Louisville is also home to Whiskey Row, where you find countless distilleries where you can do some interesting tastings… a must for whiskey lovers!
And if you’re more into green spaces, you definitely have to check out Central Park, where you can rest under the tree’s shadows, read a book, have a picnic, or do some jogging if you’re more active.
I almost forgot to mention that Old Louisville is a very walkable area, so you won’t need to rent a car or take public transport unless you need to go to another neighborhood. Doesn’t it sound like the perfect place?
If so, check out the best hotels in Old Louisville below, and don’t forget to book them at least some months in advance, so you can reserve yourself a spot!
If you want to have a luxury stay in Old Louisville, this amazing b&b is for you. Located in a stunning Victorian Mansion built in the 1800s, its intricate architecture combined with original art and contemporary decor will make you travel back in time, and the rooms will make you fall in love. In fact, each one has its unique charm and features. Some are perfect for groups and families to celebrate special occasions, others for romantic getaways… check them out!
Other accommodation options in Old Louisville
Check out this amazing boutique hotel to stay in Louisville, with chic style and classic accommodations!
This Airbnb in Old Louisville is the perfect choice for those traveling on a budget, with a great central location
This historic apartment located in Old Louisville has a beautiful view of Central Park, check it out!
Things to do in Old Louisville
- Attend the exhibitions at the Speed Art Museum
- Check out the many whisky distilleries of Whiskey Row!
- Take a break from the city at Central Park
- Watch the famous Kentucky Derby horse race just south of the Old Town
- Take the family to the Louisville Zoo
- Join a walking tour to discover historic Old Louisville’s rich architecture
- Go on a Bourbon distillery and horse farm tour
2. Downtown – the best area in Louisville, KY for families
Located between Old Louisville and the waterfront, Downtown Louisville is the best area in the city if you’re going on a vacation with the family!
Why? Downtown Louisville (the city center) has many museums and attractions for any taste, to keep all the members of the family interested, most of them concentrated on the famous Museum Row street.
Some examples? Here you can visit the Science Center, the Kentucky International Convention Center (hosting many events and exhibits), and the Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory!
By the way, if you’re all about visiting the cultural and historical attractions, the city of Cincinnati is just a few hours away and is another great destination with tons of great hotels.
Moreover, its central location and great public transport connections make Downtown Louisville the best starting point to visit any other area in the city.
Sounds like the right area to stay in Louisville for your travel needs? Then check out these amazing family hotels:
If you want to receive the celebrity treatment during your holiday, check out this 4-star hotel in Louisville Downtown, located within walking distance of the Kentucky International Convention Center. Here you’ll have all the comforts you need: a fitness center to keep yourself in shape, an outdoor pool to enjoy some relaxing moments, and a delicious on-site restaurant to eat the best steakhouse cuisine.
Other options in Downtown Louisville
This hotel in Louisville Downtown offers access to free wifi and a fitness center, and is pet friendly!
Check out one of the best cheap hotels to stay in Louisville downtown featuring free parking
This is one of the best vacation rentals to stay in Louisville, within walking distance to shops and bars
Since Downtown Louisville is one of the most popular areas in the city, it offers countless hotels and vacation rentals for any taste. So why not give you some more options for your choice? Check out these great hotels in downtown, listed in descending order from the most expensive one:
- Moxy Louisville Downtown – You will love this hotel, offering a very cool and exclusive vibe, perfect if you want to socialize and have fun in Louisville! Enjoy playing games in the game room after getting free drinks at the on-site bar and have a delicious dinner at the property’s restaurant (try the tacos)!
- Aloft Louisville Downtown – Located on the historic Whiskey Row, this hotel offers the best views of the Ohio River waters! Here you can admire the hotel’s authentic industrial designs while enjoying an amazing drink at the Corner Bar and Restaurant, or while grabbing a bite at the 24-hour snack shop!
- Chic Downtown Loft – Enjoy being within walking distance of all the best attractions of the city. In fact, this industrial loft has the best location in the heart of Downtown Louisville, on the same block where the Kentucky Bourbon Trail starts and the world-famous Louisville Slugger Museum lies!
- Cambria Hotel Louisville Downtown – This amazing 3-star hotel has literally everything you need: a restaurant, fitness center, a bar, and a swimming pool. It even offers an ATM and luggage storage space! And the rooms are also very good, with comfortable beds, fully equipped with a microwave and a little fridge.
Things to do in Downtown Louisville
- Attend a cool event at Kentucky International Convention Center
- Check out all the museums of Museum Row street
- Bring your kids to the Science Center
- Visit the Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory
- Have a fancy dinner at Buck’s
- Go seeing a horse race at Churchill Downs
- Check out the historic exhibitions at Frazier History Museum
- Discover Kentucky’s long bourbon-making history on this half-day tour
3. Waterfront Park – for the best views in Louisville
At the east side of the Downtown District you’ll find Waterfront Park, one of the most beautiful areas to stay in Louisville, facing the calm waters of the Ohio River.
Here you’ll have the best water views in town, either from your hotel in Louisville or strolling along the famous Big Four bridge. This in itself is an amazing activity to do for sunset in the warmer months… the show will leave you speechless!
But apart from incredible sceneries, the waterfront park hosts some of the most visited attractions in Louisville like the Thomas Edison House and the Muhammad Ali Center, a multicultural center and award-winning museum dedicated to the life of the famous boxer and Louisville-native.
And if this wasn’t enough, the area also offers great dining and shopping options as well as Bourbon distilleries where you can do tastings… sounds great, right?
Hotel Distil, Autograph Collection
This is the ultimate Louisville accommodation if you want a luxury stay in Louisville! Get ready to have the best dinner in the upscale on-site restaurant, have a refreshing cocktail at the trendy bar, or just train in the fitness center. Located just a 10-minute walk from the Ohio River walkway and the Muhammad Ali Center, the hotel also has a great location to explore the city!
Other accommodation options in Waterfront Park
This great hotel has some of the best views of the Ohio River, and offers a full-service spa and 6 restaurants
Check out this beautifully renovated historic property, with perfect location and free parking… all at great prices!
You will love this fully equipped apartment: is cozy and centrally located in the middle of everything
Things to do in Waterfront Park
- Visit the historic Thomas Edison House
- Learn about the life of Muhammad Ali at the Muhammad Ali Center
- See the best sunset over the Ohio River from Big Four bridge
- Check out the famous Belle of Louisville riverboat
- Combine Bourbon tasting and Derby on this cool tour!
4. Louisville East – the quietest area where to stay in Louisville
If you’re looking for a quiet place to stay in Louisville, Louisville East is the most tranquil area in town, being relatively far from downtown (precisely at about 15 minutes drive from it) and the main tourist crowds.
But this doesn’t mean that the area is short on things to offer. Louisville East hosts the best restaurant to try southern gastronomy and green spaces like the Cherokee Park – one of the most beautiful parks in the city!
The park is the best place to take a break from the city, relaxing by the Hogan Fountain, gazing at the wide variety of plants, doing bird watching, or just strolling around… especially in the warmer months.
Even if it lies a bit far from the rest of the city, Louisville East is connected with the most central neighborhoods with very efficient bus transport, and accommodation prices are super affordable… What else do you need?
This amazing pet-friendly hotel in Louisville is super clean and features contemporary decor throughout. The rooms are quiet and spacious, the beds are very comfortable, and the property is full of grassy areas to walk your dog, so it’s perfect if you want to bring your four-legged friend with you! Another plus? The delicious breakfast served every morning is the best way to start your day!
Other accommodation options in Louisville East
This 3-star hotel has everything you need: a terrace, an indoor pool, a fitness center, and more!
This is the best Louisville accommodation to stay on a budget, offering big rooms and a delicious breakfast
Check out this fully renovated apartment, featuring a fully equipped kitchen, free parking, and free wifi
Things to do in Louisville East
- Relax or stroll at the Cherokee Park
- Eat some delicious meat dishes at Feast BBQ
- Try the best Tex-Mex food at Guaca Mole Modern Mexican
5. Butchertown & East Market – coolest place to stay in Louisville
Located east of both Downtown and Waterfront Park, you’ll find Butchertown, the coolest area in Louisville with its renovated warehouses, huge fashion stores, cute boutique, and artisan shops, and cafes offering artisan chocolate!
And if you’re a fan of street art like me, in Butchertown you’ll find awesome murals popping up at any corner, usually on the side of the old warehouses, which makes a very cool contrast!
Right by Butchertown, you’ll find another vibrant area: the hip East Market District, also known as NuLu (New Louisville): the foodies’ paradise!
In fact, apart from its unique art galleries and antique shops, the East Market District hosts countless local restaurants and upscale dining places offering New American cuisine, and stylish bars where you can enjoy craft beer and bourbon! Sounds perfect!
AC Hotel by Marriott Louisville
This is the best hotel to stay in Louisville if you’re looking for luxury within walking distance from Downtown Louisville and only 10 minutes drive from Louisville airport. The property is perfect for any kind of traveler, featuring an indoor pool, a fitness center, and even a business center for those traveling for work! And wait to see the contemporary rooms: they all come with access to free wifi, free breakfast, and room service.
Other options in Butchertown & East Market district
These lovely apartments in NuLu have great city views, free WiFi, and free private parking… What else do you need?
This guesthouse is one of the best places to stay in Louisville if you are traveling with a big group, hosting up to 18 people!
This award-winning home is one of the best vacation rentals to stay in Louisville, perfect for a romantic getaway with your couple
Things to do in Butchertown & the East Market
- Grab a drink at Ten20 Brewery
- Take a tour of the Copper & Kings distillery
- Try to spot all the amazing graffiti of the area
- Attend a cool drag show at Play Louisville
- Shop the local vendors at Butchertown Market
- Try the most delicious arepas at Señora Arepa
|👑 Luxury price:||$250|
|💵 Mid Range:||$200|
|💰 Accommodation prices:||Medium|
|📍 Best area:||Old Louisville|
|👪 Best area for families:||Louisville downtown|
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:||Louisville Bourbon Inn|
|💵 Best mid-range hotel:||Vu Guesthouse|
|👛 Best budget hotel:||Holiday Inn Express|
FAQs about hotels in Louisville, KY
🛎️ Which are the best places to stay in Louisville KY?
The best places to stay in Louisville KY are the luxury Omni Louisville Hotel, located in Louisville downtown, or the midrange option Vu Guesthouse, in Old Louisville, featuring chic style and classic accommodations.
📍 What’s the best area to stay in Louisville KY?
The best area to stay in Louisville KY is Old Louisville, offering tourist attractions and accommodation options for any taste, like the luxury Louisville Bourbon Inn or Derby at Magnolia Place if you’re traveling on a budget.
🐶 Which are the best places to stay in Louisville KY with a dog?
The best pet-friendly places to stay in Louisville KY are Homewood Suites By Hilton, offering great value for the price, or the luxury Hilton Garden Inn Louisville, featuring many green areas where you can walk your dog.
🚶♀️Is Louisville KY a walkable city?
Yes, Louisville is a very walkable city, especially the areas of Old Louisville and Downtown Louisville. Being located in the heart of the city, the 2 areas offer all the attractions within a short walking distance between each other.
Congrats! You made it until the end of this guide about the best areas to stay in Louisville, KY, including the best accommodation options for each of them.
From budget hotels to luxury properties and cozy vacation rentals, in Louisville, there is something for any taste and budget… which one is your favorite?
If you’re still undecided, no worries, here below you’ll find my TOP hotel options, both located in the best area of the city (Old Louisville) and offering great value:
- Louisville Bourbon Inn – best hotel to stay in Louisville if you’re looking for luxury, located in a stunning Victorian Mansion
- Vu Guesthouse – check out this amazing midrange option in Louisville, featuring chic style and classic accommodations!
If you like them, don’t let too much time go by before booking, or you could lose the spot. I suggest you do that at least some months in advance!
I hope you enjoyed reading my guide and that it will help you find the perfect accommodation in Louisville for your travel needs! And if you have any questions or doubts, please drop them in the comments below, I will answer you as soon as I can.
In the meantime, have an amazing holiday!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!