Hola travelers! Are you excited to travel to one of the most amazing places on the Monterey Peninsula? Carmel-by-the-Sea is a fabulous beach city that has it all! Great beaches, fascinating history, and delicious wines!
In this post, I’ll point you to the top hotels where to stay in Camel-by-the-Sea! I’ve listed the most to least expensive accommodations so that you can easily decide which one to pick!
That’s not it, though! Carmel-by-the-Sea is surrounded by nature and some incredible country resorts, so I’ve also added a bonus section with unique places to stay just outside of the city.
Remember that these are some of the best hotels in Carmel-by-the-Sea, so I recommend booking in advance! Don’t leave anything to the last minute, the town is pretty small and you may lose your favorite romantic hotel or family holiday spot if you wait.
So let’s not waste any more time and start this trip!
If you are in a hurry
Ready to book your accommodation right now? Then have a look at this list of the best Carmel hotels:
L’Auberge Carmel, Relais & Chateaux
Best luxury hotel
Best value for money
Best affordable accommodation
An Airbnb with amazing reviews
Check out this map that will help you visualize all the hotels in Carmel-by-the-Sea that I’ll talk about in this post:
Luxury (US$500 and up)
- L’Auberge Carmel, Relais & Chateaux – Gotta love a hotel that’s set in an old historic building! I love the European-inspired design of this place, and it’s located within walking distance from Carmel Beach! The charming rooms have lots of space and if you want, you can even enjoy a relaxing massage there. After a day of exploring the Carmel Plaza head to the on-site gourmet restaurant for a yummy dinner, some champagne, and cooking classes if you’re up to it!
- La Playa Carmel – Fancy some free champagne and brunch every morning during your holiday? Then book the cozy rooms at the fabulous Grand Dame hotel that’s set within walking distance from Carmel Beach! I love the fusion of styles and architecture (it reminds me of a vintage manor), and the swimming pool looks like the perfect place to escape the heat! Enjoy your gourmet breakfast in the library lounge while admiring the ocean views!
- Tally Ho Inn – The panoramic ocean views at this hotel are breathtaking! Grab a glass of wine and admire a scenic sunset! The inn is set just a block away from the high-end shops on Ocean Avenue, and it has spacious rooms with a balcony so get ready to start your day with some room service while enjoying the ocean breeze! Remember, I highly recommend booking your hotels in advance for this location. If you leave everything last minute, you’ll miss out on your favorite place!
- Carriage House Inn – You’ll love the atmosphere at this cozy inn set in Downtown Carmel! The elegant rooms come with flat-screen TVs, airy feather beds, fireplaces, and a spa bath where you can relax after a day out! Each morning the guests can enjoy a complimentary breakfast up in their room, and that’s not it! At night you’ll get free wine and some snacks! If you’re looking for more iconic locations like this one, there are amazing hotels in all the towns of Big Sur, you’ll love it here!
- Carmel Country Inn – Relaxation, comfort, and many luxurious amenities! This accommodation that’s not too far from Carmel Beach has it all! Each room is beautifully decorated and has comfortable beds, a fireplace, and large windows from where you can admire the colorful garden. Make sure you grab a bite from the continental breakfast before you head out to explore Carmel!
Mid Range (US$260 – US$350)
- The Getaway – Enjoy a glass of wine with your friends by the fire pits at this hotel in Carmel to celebrate this fantastic holiday! I like the fusion of styles at this pet-friendly hotel (that was recently renovated). It’s giving me Greek vibes but with a twist. Each morning you’ll receive a delicious breakfast basket filled with all kinds of goodies that you can enjoy in the comfort of your room, which is so cool and has a fireplace. The accommodation also offers different activities like walking tours and bike tours to keep you busy!
- Tradewinds – A fabulous boutique hotel in Carmel that will provide you with a tranquil stay! I love the Asian aesthetics and the garden they have. The rooms at this pet-friendly accommodation have a simple yet super chic decor and they’re equipped with all the facilities you need including free wi-fi. You can relax in front of the outdoor fireplace or take a walk in their beautiful garden at night.
- Normandy Inn – Don’t need to go all the way to France to admire their unique interior design and style! This cool inn has a French country decor (one of my favorites) and is set a short walk away from La Playa Carmel. Cool off with a swim in the outdoor pool during the hot days and take a walk in the colorful garden. The rooms are all equipped with private bathrooms and flat-screen TVs for ultimate comfort.
- Forest Lodge – This comfortable accommodation in the heart of Carmel-by-the-Sea has that holiday vibe that we all love! The recently renovated eco-lodges are set in a garden tucked away between the trees, and are equipped with gas fireplaces and comfortable beds! You’ll also get to admire some unique paintings by local artists. This pet-friendly accommodation, a sister property of Lamp Lighter Inn, also provides breakfast every morning!
- Wayside Inn – With a central location in Carmel, this fabulous place will be your home away from home this holiday! Just wait until you try their comfy beds, and relax in the privacy of your room, which by the way, has a gas fireplace and unique furnishings. If you want to explore around, Ocean Avenue is only a 2 minute’s walk away, while Carmel Playa is also nearby!
Budget (up to US$250)
- Coachman’s Inn – Affordable and oh so amazing! This charming inn is set a short drive away from Point Lobos State Reserve! Each room is beautifully designed, and it has lots of space and fireplaces. During the day, take some time off to relax in the outdoor whirlpool tubs and dry sauna. They serve a delicious breakfast buffet in the morning that you can enjoy either in your room or downstairs. I recommend having it on the terrace to enjoy the garden views!
- Horizon Inn & Ocean View Lodge – You’ll come back after your holiday here so relaxed! Especially after staying at one of the best hotels in Carmel that offers a daily continental breakfast. Pick a room that features views of the Pacific Ocean so that you can drink your morning coffee with the best sights. The suites have a gas fireplace and comfy beds! Enjoy the hot tub all day long and at night, grab a drink, sit by the fire pits, tell stories, and admire the sights!
- Carmel Garden Inn – This gorgeous pet-friendly hotel Carmel is decorated with plants and has amazing rooms with wood-burning fireplaces and garden views. The accommodation provides lots of activities like walking tours or hiking and they even have some cool board games if you prefer remaining on-site for the day.
- Carmel Bay View Inn – Get ready to shop until you drop in the stores on Ocean Ave which are set only a 2 minutes walk away from this Carmel hotel. After that, you can relax by the pool and enjoy the nice weather. The accommodation serves a full breakfast every morning, and you’ll also have a coffee maker in your room (you can enjoy it in front of the fireplace)! Pebble Beach is set just 1 mile (1.5 km) away from the hotel if you’re up to exploring around.
- Hofsas House Hotel – This has to be one of the best hotels in Carmel! It has such a unique design, and the rooms are so charming! Plus, they feature a fireplace, and some offer views of the Pacific Ocean. Start your day with some pastries and coffee on the patio while taking in those sights! The pet-friendly accommodation also has a heated outdoor pool and a dry sauna to enjoy
|👑 Luxury price:||$500|
|🏨 Mid Range:||$300|
|💰 Accommodation prices:||High|
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:||L’Auberge Carmel|
|🧳 Best mid-range hotel:||The Getaway|
|👛 Best budget hotel:||Coachman’s Inn|
|🏠 Top Lodge near Carmel:||Carmel Valley Ranch|
BONUS: Interesting lodges to stay near Carmel
Now that I’ve told you all about the best hotels to stay in Carmel-by-the-Sea, I wanted to switch up a bit and offer a list of some unique places to stay just outside of the town.
Set between Carmel Beach and Carmel Valley, these ranches and lodges offer a tranquil setting for travelers who want to relax and escape the city noise! These accommodations are amazing, and I didn’t want to keep them all to myself, so here’s a list of the top ones that I think you’ll love!
All the resorts here are luxury, listed in order from most to least expensive with prices from US$850 to US$400:
- Carmel Valley Ranch – Country resorts combine the best of both worlds! Nature, fantastic facilities, and all the peace you need! Carmel Valley Ranch looks like a small village on its own! With 9 tennis courts, a golf course, and a huge garden this accommodation is simply the best (*Tina Turner song plays in the background). Chill by the infinity pool, relax at the spa, or try activities like archery and hiking!
- Bernardus Lodge & Spa – This holiday will leave you more relaxed than ever! Hillside landscapes and lots of trees surround Bernardus Lodge! Spend your time here playing on the tennis courts, relaxing in the outdoor heated pool at sunset, or unwinding at the spa. The rooms have a soft design and are equipped with a gourmet snack basket and wine! I recommend you start your day with a moment of silence in the meditation garden.
- Quail Lodge & Golf Club – Golfers, you’ll love this place! Set on a top-rated golf course, just a short drive from Carmel River, the resort has a business center and a heated swimming pool. The restaurant offers fireside dining with mountain views and delicious food prepared with local ingredients. But you won’t feel restricted to staying at the resort. There are many ways to explore around like going on bike tours or hiking!
Frequently asked questions about hotels in Carmel-by-the-Sea
🐚 Is Carmel-by-the-Sea worth visiting?
Yes! Carmel-by-the-Sea is a stunning resort town filled with unique beaches like Carmel River State Beach, cool attractions, and of course, the best hotels in the region like L’Auberge Carmel, Relais & Chateaux.
🤔 Which is better Carmel or Monterey?
Both places are great, but it depends on which activities you want to try. Carmel has many art galleries, beaches, and wine tasting rooms. While Monterey is where you’ll find the Aquarium and more family-friendly attractions.
🤓 Is Carmel and Carmel-by-the-Sea the same?
Yes! They are the same place. A long time ago, the town’s name was changed from Carmel to Carmel-by-the-Sea, which remained until now the official name.
🍷 How do I spend a day in Carmel?
You can go for a swim at Playa Carmel, explore its art scene, visit the Carmel Mission Basilica, and drink the best wine at the many wine cellars.
What a fabulous holiday destination! I hope this post on where to stay in Carmel-by-the-Sea helped you decide which are the best hotels in Carmel for your shortlist!
We’ve gone through a huge list of the top hotels in Carmel in order from most to least expensive. I even threw in some unique lodges and country resorts right outside of Carmel-by-the-Sea that I’m sure you’ve already fallen in love with!
But I know there are many options in this post and it can be super hard to choose, so here are my top 2 favorite hotels in Carmel-by-the-Sea:
- L’Auberge Carmel, Relais & Chateaux – One of the best hotels in Carmel, with a European-inspired design, a gourmet restaurant, and a garden
- The Getaway – The perfect mid-range option near La Playa Carmel that offers a cozy outdoor fireplace and many activities
Just remember that these are some of the best hotels in Carmel, so I highly recommend booking them in advance to avoid any inconvenience. Trust me when I say that these places will sell out super fast!
Other than that, have a fantastic trip to Carmel! If you have any suggestions for our community, leave me a comment below and I’ll answer ASAP!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!