Zürich, Switzerland’s biggest city, is known for yummy chocolate and high-end shopping, as well as its beautiful architecture. Now that you’ve decided to visit the city, you might be wondering where to stay in Zurich, which is full of hotels and apartments! The city has everything from the best of the best 5-star hotels, to cheaper and simpler options, apartments, and everything in between.
Do not worry, you are a lucky person because I’m here to help you! In this article, I will recommend the best place to stay in Zurich for all budgets and travelers, regardless if you’re looking for a hotel or an apartment.
If that is not enough, I also added a bonus section talking about the best hotels near the airport, so you have even more options no matter what your needs are!
PRO TIP: Due to the nature of the city and its status as a global business hub, accommodation can be booked out in advance and very quickly. I would recommend booking Zurich accommodation as soon as possible so as not to miss out, especially if there’s a conference or special event (which there almost always is)!
By the way, it is known that Zurich is not a cheap destination in Europe, so booking in advance means you will also get the best deals, as prices are never going down!
So let’s get into it, here are my recommendations of where to stay in Zurich:
If you are in a hurry…
- Best luxury hotel: Widder Hotel
- Best middle-priced hotel: CitizenM Zurich
- Best budget hotel: Pension fürDich
First of all, which area to choose?
There are a few different Zurich neighborhoods called “districts”. Below I will recommend the 2 best areas if you’re wondering where to stay in Zurich in order to explore everything that this city has to offer:
- District 1, also called Altstadt or Zurich Old Town is the best area to stay in Zurich! It encompasses the city center, historic old town, many of the main tourist attractions, restaurants, bars, and, of course, the famous shopping street Bahnhofstrasse, as well as the Town Hall and many museum options. Last but not least, it is also home to some of the best hotels in Zurich!
- Langstrasse is a neighborhood located right next to District 1 and it’s the best area to stay for budget accommodation, while also enjoying proximity to the center. There are also some great options on either side of Lake Zurich, so a little further south from District 1.
Best hotels in Zurich, Switzerland
The Swiss are known worldwide for many things, such as skiing, chocolate, watches, and FIFA. One thing I believe that often gets overlooked in Switzerland is the incredible hospitality you will find all over the country; you can check out the best things to do in Zurich!
This is why staying in a hotel in this country is a must, you don’t want to miss out on the fantastic staff service and high-quality facilities! This section will find the best Zurich hotels broken down into three budget categories, all I handpicked for your convenience!
Luxury (US$330 and up)
Switzerland is home to many luxury brands such as Rolex, Patek Philippe, and Bally. Naturally, this cosmopolitan city is also home to some splendid luxury hotels! Swiss hotels tend to be awarded as some of the best worldwide each year, so what better way to stay in the city than in style?
Here are three of the best Zurich luxury hotels:
- Widder Hotel – This luxurious 5 star hotel is where you want to stay if you want to feel like Royalty! With complimentary drinks, huge deluxe rooms, a delicious onsite restaurant and a funky jazz bar all in the perfect location, it doesn’t get much better than this!
- Park Hyatt Zurich – Stunning design and perfect location are two of this hotel’s best features. This is the best place to stay if you’re looking for a Zurich hotel with a spa close to Limmat River and Lake Zurich, as well as Zurich Old Town! Located in a modern avant-garde building, the in-house restaurant features floor-to-ceiling walls on three sides and has a fabulous breakfast. Some rooms have floor-to-ceiling windows, which make for some fantastic views!
- Hotel Schweizerhof Zurich – Located on the other end of Bahnhofstraße, the Schweizerhof is one of the top hotels in Zurich! Offering sound-proofed rooms, adjustable beds, two award-winning in-house restaurants, and a classy whiskey bar, this hotel is hard to beat, and I consider it an excellent choice for the best stay in Zurich! The rooms are decorated in a classic European style and have contemporary amenities. It’s also not far from Lake Zurich, as well as many other popular attractions, museums, and shops. You’ll surely enjoy it!
Middle-priced (US$170 – US$330)
If you are coming to Zurich to do some shopping or simply stopping over on your way to the Alps for some skiing (by the way, you can check out my complete guide about skiing in the Swiss Alps here), perhaps you want to save a few francs on accommodation.
But you wouldn’t want to miss out on Swiss hospitality, right? Well then, this section is for you!
Here you will find hotels that strike a balance between service and price:
- Seegarten Swiss Quality Hotel – This wonderfully warm hotel is located right on the edge of District 1, and it’s a great place to stay if you want to be next to the Zurich Opera House, Lake Zurich, and right in Zurich Old Town. Boasting a Mediterranean theme, free wifi, and some beautiful al fresco street-side dining, the hotel will leave you wanting to return. To top it all off, you can even book a room with stunning lake views!
- Motel One Zurich – My favorite part of Motel One is the building itself! The remarkable art-nouveau building will keep you satisfied inside and outside the hotel! Located right in the center of Zurich Old Town, this fantastic place to stay is a short walk away from Bahhofstraße, Lake Zurich, all the main attractions, and the train station. This hotel offers unique decor, rooms for different price ranges, and proximity to the art museum!
- CitizenM Zurich – This 4-star hotel is conveniently located close to the city center, Alter Botanischer Garten, Bellevueplatz, the FIFA World Football Museum for soccer fans and many more attractions that will make you feel the beating heart of Zurich! The rooms are cozy yet spacious, and the daily breakfast is excellent – you can choose between continental, vegan, or gluten-free!
Budget (up to US$170)
So you may have thought that coming to Zurich on a budget was impossible, right? Well, it’s not! I have created this section for all travelers out there wondering where to stay in Zurich if they’re on a tight budget, so expect to find some friendly hotels and guest houses here!
Although you will need to amend your budget slightly as this is Switzerland where the prices are slightly higher than in the rest of the world, all types of travelers pass through each year, meaning that there most certainly is a market for budget hotels in Zurich.
Here I have chosen three of my favorites. By the way, all of them are in Langstrasse, my recommended area for a budget stay in Zurich, which is very close to Altstadt (Zurich Old Town):
- Pension fürDich – Here’s a great option if you are on a tight budget but still want to enjoy a great stay in Zurich, Switzerland! The rooms at this hotel in Zurich are classy, modern, tasteful, and spacious. The hotel is located in the heart of Langstraße and within walking distance (max 15 minutes) to all the main attractions and close to Enge and Lake Zurich. There is a lovely in-house restaurant and bar, which makes for some lovely summertime alfresco dining!
- Hotel Limmathof – Located right in the spot where the old romantic part meets the business world of modern Zurich, you will get the best of both worlds and of course, experience Zurich uniquely! After a day of shopping, you can visit their on-site restaurants that serve delicious traditional Swiss cuisine or the same traditional dishes for vegetarians, so there will be a choice for everyone. The rooms are simple yet spacious, where you can fit even a family!
- Gasthaus zum Guten Glück – I just love, love, love the bar of this hotel; you will feel like you are in a hidden speakeasy! The hotel offers a great budget stay in Zurich, Switzerland, and it’s located just outside Langstraße, so you will need to catch public transport to get into the city center, but the tram and metro stations are less than a 5-minute walk! Plus, the staff is amiable and always willing to help you with tips. Check the available rates; the demand is high for this one!
Best apartments in Zurich, Switzerland
There are alternative accommodation options in Zurich if you don’t like staying in hotels, don’t worry! If you are coming with a family for business, and need your own space, or plan on staying for a week or longer, then perhaps staying in a Zurich apartment would be a great option! Plus, apartments are an excellent option for travelers looking for budget places to stay in Zurich, as their rates are lower than the hotels!
Here are my best-handpicked options for you, both on Booking.com and Airbnb, so that you can have a choice:
Luxury (US$300 and up)
In the luxury apartment sections, you will find three diverse options chosen by me. There is, of course, one smack-bang in the city center if you don’t want to give up proximity to tourist attractions. Yes, all of the options you’ll find below are in the best location in the city!
Below you can find the best apartments I could find in Zurich Old Town (Altstadt):
- Acasa Suites – This is an excellent option if you are looking for an aparthotel located in the Oerlikon district. These suites offer superb rooms with incredible bathrooms, walk-in showers, a fitness center, and a spa where you can enjoy a relaxing time after exploring this beautiful city.
- Le Bijou LQ82 Limmat View Apartment – In case you’re wondering where to stay in Zurich so you can enjoy a spoiled stay in a super apartment, this one is among the best places I could find for you! This wonderful place has fantastic reviews, offers beautiful views of the Limmat River, and is excellent for up to 6 guests.
- Paradeplatz / Bahnhofstrasse Apartment by Airhome – Here’s another excellent choice for a luxurious stay in Zurich, Switzerland! It’s an ideal choice for up to 4 guests and offers unforgettable views of the city. Of course, it also has a kitchen that you can use, which is a great bonus. Just check it out; I’m sure you’ll love it!
Middle-priced (from US$100 to US$300)
If you’re looking for a serviced apartment in Zurich but don’t want to break the bank, then one of these middle-priced apartments might just be for you. Providing guests with independence to move around the city, cook their meals, and have their own space, here are my top 3 that won’t cost you a fortune:
- Room: Your Downtown Base For Tourism + Business – For all those of you wondering where to stay in Zurich for an excellent value for the money you’ll be paying, I recommend checking this place out! It’s a lovely private room in an apartment good for up to two people, and everything is sparkling clean!
- 3 Room Apartment – With an excellent location close to the Shopping Center Glatt, Hallenstadion, or even the Zurich Zoo, this apartment has 3 rooms perfect for up to 6 people. On the property, you will find everything you need during your stay, from a washer and dryer to a fully equipped kitchen perfect to make a delicious dinner in beautiful Zurich!
Budget (up to US$100)
You may not think you can find cheap apartments in Zurich, but that is not the case! You may remember luxuries such as central location or specific amenities, as there are many excellent and affordable options!
In this section, I have chosen three of my top picks in Zurich that will allow you a bit more space and freedom to explore:
- Margarita Studio – If you’re wondering where to stay in Zurich if you’re on a tight budget and don’t want to spend all your money on accommodation, then I can surely recommend this place – it has some unbeatable rates, and location just right in the heart of Zurich’s old town.
- Studio in Zurich-Unterland – This private bedroom will make you feel like you are in a private suite! Located just 20 minutes from Zurich, this rural escape is the perfect option to experience the city in two different atmospheres. The best part? This is accommodation with prices you won’t see anywhere else in Zurich!
|👑 Luxury price:||€450|
|💵 Mid Range:||€200|
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:||Widder Hotel|
|💵 Best mid-range hotel:||CitizenM Zurich|
|👛 Best budget hotel:||Pension fürDich|
BONUS: Best accommodation near Zurich airport
If you are coming to Zurich for a short period, arriving late at night/early in the morning or simply need to be close to the airport for an easy departure, then you are in luck! There are a few hotels near Zurich Airport (ZRH) that will allow for this ease of arrival/departure and are also great hotels themselves! By the way, Zurich International Airport is the biggest airport in the country.
I have again broken down this section into different budgets to help! So let’s get into my recommendations for Zurich hotels near the airport:
- Luxury: Jet Hotel Zurich Airport – Located a 10-minute free shuttle ride from the airport is this excellent middle-priced hotel. The rooms are modern and minimalist, and the beds are very comfortable! Some rooms have a kitchenette, if not, you’ll also have 24-hour free tea/coffee facilities. The metro station is 300 meters away if you want to go to Zurich itself!
- Middle-priced: Holiday Inn Express – Just 5 km away from the airport, so I’m sure you will be able to get a little more sleep in case your flight is super early in the morning. If you are hungry, you can grab a quick bite at its on-site restaurant, and if you are visiting during the summer months, you can enjoy the restaurant terrace.
- Budget: Capsule Hotel – This Capsule Hotel is located directly opposite Check-in 1 at Zurich Airport, so you can’t get closer than this! It boasts a cozy shared lounge and a restaurant that you can enjoy if you have any time left before your flight! So I can assure you this is the best Zurich airport hotel!
FAQs about Zurich hotels
📆 How many days are enough to stay in Zurich?
I recommend staying for at least a few days, a minimum of 3 or 4! In Zurich, there are plenty of things to do and see.
🍫 What is the best area to stay in Zurich?
👨👩👧 What is the best hotel for families?
If you have a family trip, I recommend staying in Seegarten Swiss Quality Hotel! This beautiful hotel has incredible amenities and spacious family rooms.
🚗 How to get around Zurich?
There are plenty of ways to get around Zurich: public transport, taxi, rent a car, bike, or even on foot since so many attractions are close together.
There you have it, my ultimate about where to stay in Zurich! It is a beautiful and friendly city, and I promise you won’t regret visiting.
Whether you come through on business, en route to a ski destination, or just to see the main sights, Zurich rarely disappoints. Neither does the famous Swiss hospitality and some great hotels in Zurich’s city center.
So whether you’re looking for cheap accommodation in Zurich, a 5-star hotel in the heart of the city, or simply a lovely apartment to relax in with your family and friends, you will find plenty of choices in this article!
If you are not sure, let me help you by telling you my top 2 picks, but let me warn you you have to book them in advance, Zurich is a great destination, and some hotels sell out fast:
- Hotel Schweizerhof Zurich – in case you are looking for the best luxury hotel, this is the top choice for you!
- Seegarten Swiss Quality Hotel – this is the best option if you are looking for cheaper accommodation. I’m sure you will save some bucks to use them for other fun activities!
If you need some travel inspiration, I recommend checking out my post about the best things to do in Zurich. Now the only thing left for me is to wish you a pleasant stay in Zurich! If you have any more doubts or comments, please leave them in the comment section below; I will reply as soon as possible!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!