Zürich, Switzerland’s biggest city, is home to the country’s biggest airport, some of the world’s biggest companies and some leading universities! Zurich is known for yummy chocolate and high-end shopping, as well as its beautiful architecture. If you come to Switzerland for skiing, for a business trip or simply for a relaxing Alpine holiday, it is likely that you will find yourself in Zurich for at least a few days! In short, if you want to visit Switzerland, Zurich must be on your bucket list for sure!
So now that you decided to go to the city, you might be wondering where to stay in Zurich, which is full of hotels and apartments! The city has everything from the best of the best 5-star hotels, to cheaper and simpler options, apartments and everything in between.
In this article I will recommend the best place to stay in Zurich for all budgets and travellers, regardless if you’re looking for a hotel or apartment.
PRO TIP: Due to the nature of the city and its status as a global business hub, accommodation can be booked out in advance and very quickly. I would recommend booking Zurich accommodation as soon as possible so as not to miss out, especially if there’s a conference or special event on (which there almost always is)! By the way, it is known that Zurich is not a cheap destination in Europe, so booking in advance means you will also get the best deals, as prices are never going down!
So let’s get into it, here are my recommendations of where to stay in Zurich:
If you’re wondering where to stay in Zurich if you’re visiting for the first time, the answer is District 1, also known as Altstadt or Zurich Old Town. This is the heart of the city and the place where you’ll find most of the important attractions and activities.
First of all, which area to choose?
There are a few different Zurich neighbourhoods called “districts”. Below I will recommend the 2 best areas if you’re wondering where to stay in Zurich in order to explore everything that this city has to offer:
- District 1, also called Altstadt or Zurich Old Town is the best area to stay in Zurich! It encompasses the city center, historic old town, many of the main tourist attractions, restaurants, bars and, of course, the famous shopping street Bahnhofstrasse, as well as the Town Hall and many museum options. Last but not least, it is also home to some of the best hotels in Zurich!
- Langstrasse is a neighborhood located right next to District 1 and it’s the best area to stay for budget accommodation, while also enjoying proximity to the center. There are also some great options on either side of Lake Zurich, so a little further south from District 1.
Best Hotels in Zurich, Switzerland
The Swiss are known worldwide for many things, such as skiing, chocolate, watches and FIFA. One thing I believe that often gets overlooked when it comes to Switzerland is the incredible hospitality you will find all over the country.
This is why staying in a hotel in this country is a must, you don’t want to miss out on the amazing staff service and high-quality facilities! In this section you will find the very best Zurich hotels broken down into three different budget categories, all handpicked by me for your convenience!
Luxury (US$300 and up)
Switzerland is home to tons of luxury brands such as Rolex, Patek Phillipe and Bally; naturally, this cosmopolitan city is also home to some splendid luxury hotels as well! In fact, Swiss hotels tend to be awarded as some of the best worldwide each year, so what better way to stay in the city than in style?
Here are three of the best Zurich luxury hotels:
- Park Hyatt Zurich – Stunning design and perfect location are two of this hotel’s best features. This is definitely the best place to stay if you’re looking for a Zurich hotel that has a spa and that’s located very close to Limmat River and Lake Zurich, as well as Zurich Old Town! Located in a modern avant-garde building, the in-house restaurant features floor-to-ceiling walls on three sides and it has a fabulous breakfast included. Some of the rooms have floor-to-ceiling windows which make for some amazing views!
- Hotel Schweizerhof Zurich – Located on the other end of Bahnhofstraße, the Schweizerhof is one of the top hotels in Zurich! Offering sound-proofed rooms, adjustable beds, two award-winning in-house restaurants and a classy whiskey bar, this hotel is hard to beat and I consider it a great choice for the best stay in Zurich! The rooms are decorated in a classic European style and all of them have contemporary amenities. It’s also not far from Lake Zurich, as well as many other popular attractions, museums and shops. You’ll surely enjoy it!
- Opera Hotel Zurich – Situated next to the stunning Zurich Opera House, Zurich Old Town and Zurich Lake is the super modern Opera Hotel. This modern theme is carried throughout with touches of a classic alpine Swiss lodge, which creates a unique atmosphere and it’s a great option if you’re looking for a beautiful boutique hotel in Zurich! This hotel offers everything you might need!
Middle-priced (US$130 – US$300)
If you are coming to Zurich to do some shopping or simply stopping over on your way to the Alps for some skiing (by the way, you can check out my complete guide about skiing in the Swiss Alps here), perhaps you want to save a few francs on accommodation. But you wouldn’t want to miss out on the Swiss hospitality, right? Well then, this section is for you!
Here you will find hotels that strike a balance between service and price:
- Seegarten Swiss Quality Hotel – This wonderfully warm hotel is located right on the edge of District 1 and it’s a great place to stay if you want to be next to the Zurich Opera House, Lake Zurich and right in Zurich Old Town. Boasting a mediterrenean theme, free wifi and some beautiful al fresco street-side dining, the hotel will leave you wanting to return for sure. To top it all off, you can even book a room that includes stunning lake views!
- Motel One Zurich – My favorite part of Motel One is the building itself! The remarkable art-nouveau building will keep you satisfied inside and out of the hotel! Located right in the center of Zurich Old Town, this awesome place to stay is a short walk away from Bahhofstraße, Lake Zurich and all the main attractions, as well as the train station. Plus, this hotel offers a unique decor, rooms for a different price range and proximity to the art museum as well!
- Hotel Bristol Zurich – This is one of the best hotels in Zurich Old Town. Still close to Bahnhofstraße, Lake Zurich and Limmat River, the hotel allows guests to truly feel the beating heart of Zurich. The rooms are cozy and spacious and the daily continental breakfast is great. It’s located a 5 minute walk from the main train station too and it’s close to plenty of nightlife options!
Budget (up to US$130)
So you may have thought that coming to Zurich on a budget was impossible, right? Well, it’s not! I have created this section for all travelers out there wondering where to stay in Zurich if they’re on a tight budget, so expect to find some nice hotels and guest houses here!
Although you will need to amend your budget slightly as this is Switzerland after all, so the prices are a little higher than the rest of the world. However, all types of travellers pass through each year meaning that there most certainly is a market for budget hotels in Zurich.
Here I have chosen three of my favorites. By the way, all of them are in Langstrasse, my recommended area for a budget stay in Zurich, which is very close to Altstadt (Zurich Old Town):
- Pension fürDich – Here’s a great option if you are on a tight budget but still want to enjoy a great stay in Zurich, Switzerland! The rooms at this hotel in Zurich are classy, modern, tasteful and spacious. The hotel is located in the heart of Langstraße and within walking distance (max 15 minutes) to all the main attractions and close to Enge and Lake Zurich as well. There is a lovely in-house restaurant and bar which makes for some lovely summertime alfresco dining!
- Kalkbreite Pension & Guesthouse – A great choice for families, as the hotel has a cool playground! In addition, it also has its own in-house cinema to unwind after a long day of shopping on the nearby Bahnhofstraße! I absolutely love the rooms as they’re decorated in a modern, minimalist style. I definitely recommend this one to all people that want to be close to Zurich Old Town (as it’s located right West from it) and it’s not very far from Lake Zurich either. There’s also an in-house restaurant making this one of the BEST cheap hotels in Zurich!
- Gasthaus zum Guten Glück – I just love, love, love the bar of this hotel, you will feel like you are in a hidden speakeasy in New York! The hotel offers a great budget stay in Zurich, Switzerland and it’s located just outside Langstraße so you will need to catch public transport to get into the city center, but the tram and metro stations are less than a 5 minute walk! Plus, the staff is very friendly and always willing to help you with tips. Make sure to check the available rates, the demand is high for this one!
Best apartments in Zurich, Switzerland
There are alternative accommodation options in Zurich if you don’t like staying in hotels, don’t worry! If you are coming with a family, coming for business and need your own space or plan on staying for a week or longer, then perhaps staying in a Zurich apartment would be a great option for you! Plus, apartments are a great option for travelers looking for budget places where to stay in Zurich, as the rates for them are definitely lower compared to the hotels!
Here are my best handpicked options for you, both on Booking and on Airbnb, so you can have a choice:
Luxury (US$150 and up)
In the luxury apartment sections you will find three diverse options chosen by me. There is, of course, one smack bang in the city center if you don’t want to give up proximity to tourist attractions. Yes, all of the options you’ll find below are in the best location in the city!
Below you can find the best apartments I could find in Zurich Old Town (Altstadt):
- Le Bijou MH6 Jacuzzi Penthouse – The absolute ultimate in luxury, Le Bijou is one of the best places located right downtown and it offers superb suites. Located within a few minutes walk of Bahnhofstraße and the other sights of Zurich, this apartment is just a great choice. The apartment itself is nothing short of stunning with everything from a fireplace to outdoor terrace and amazing views!
- Le Bijou LQ82 Limmat View Apartment – In case you’re wondering where to stay in Zurich so you can enjoy a spoiled stay in a super apartment, this one’s among the best places I could find for you! This wonderful place has amazing reviews, it offers beautiful views of Limmat River and it’s great for up to 6 guests.
- Paradeplatz / Bahnhofstrasse Apartment by Airhome – Here’s another excellent choice for a luxurious stay in Zurich, Switzerland! It’s an ideal choice for up to 4 guests and it offers some unforgettable views of the city as well. By the way, it also has a kitchen that you can use, of course, which I think is a great added bonus. Just check it out, I’m sure you’ll love it!
Middle-priced (from US$100 to US$150)
If you’re looking for a serviced apartment in Zurich but don’t want to break the bank, then one of these middle-priced apartments might just be for you. Providing guests with independence to move around the city, cook their own meals, and have their own space, here are my top 3 that won’t cost you a fortune:
- Room: Your downtown base for tourism + business – For all those of you wondering where to stay in Zurich for a great value for the money you’ll be paying, I recommend checking this place out! It’s a very nice private room in an apartment good for up to two people and everything is sparkling clean!
- iQ130 Apartment Hotel – My favorite choice if you want to be close to the city and to the main train station as well. Wedged between the two is this gorgeous aparthotel, a hybrid between a hotel and an apartment. The property offers guests rooms themed on color, comfortable beds, and a terrace!
Budget (up to US$100)
You may not think you can find cheap apartments in Zurich, but that is not the case at all! You may not even have to forget about luxuries such as central location or certain amenities, as there are so many good and affordable options!
In this section I have chosen three of my top picks in Zurich that will allow you a bit more space and freedom to explore:
- Charming room in the heart of Zurich – If you’re wondering where to stay in Zurich if you’re on a really tight budget and don’t want to spend all your money on accommodation, then I can surely recommend this place – it has some unbeatable rates! Also, this newly renovated studio has spectacular skyline views over Zurich!
- INSIDE FIVE City Apartments – Located next to Limmat river and just North of town, this aparthotel is a bit more expensive than the rooms above, but it’s still is a great budget choice! It has stylish and modern rooms with a kitchenette, laundry facility and an outdoor seating area to relax with a cup of tea. The property is also a 10 minute walk from the train station and 15 min walk from Bahnhofstraße!
Best Accommodation Near Zurich Airport
If you are coming to Zurich for a short period of time, arriving late at night/early in the morning or simply need to be close to the airport for an easy departure, then you are in luck! There are a few hotels near Zurich Airport (ZRH) that will not only allow for this ease of arrival/departure but are also great hotels themselves! By the way, Zurich International Airport is the biggest airport in the country.
I have again broken down this section into different budgets to help! So let’s get into my recommendations for Zurich hotels near the airport:
- (Luxury) Radisson Blu Hotel Zurich Airport – Located right next to the airport and with a walkway that connects the two directly, you cannot get closer than my luxury option, the Radisson! The rooms themselves are also amazing and extremely modern. There are two in-house restaurants, a gym and a bar, so basically everything you need! By the way, the city center is only a 20 minute train ride away as well!
- (Middle-priced) Jet Hotel Zurich Airport – Located a 10-minute free shuttle ride from the airport is this excellent middle-priced hotel. The rooms are modern, minimalist and the beds are very comfortable! Some rooms have a kitchenette; if not, you’ll also have 24-hour free tea/coffee facilities. The metro station is 300 meters away if you want to go into Zurich itself!
- (Budget) DORMERO Zurich Airport – This is my best budget recommendation and it awaits you with facilities such as a 24-hour bar, fitness center, sauna and an in-house restaurant! It is located within 2 meters of the airport so transferring is very easy and getting to the city centre from the closest metro station 200m away couldn’t be easier! A really great Zurich airport hotel!
There you have it, my ultimate about where to stay in Zurich! It really is a beautiful and friendly city and I promise that you won’t regret visiting.
Whether you come through on business, transferring to a ski destination or simply just to visit the main sights, Zurich rarely disappoints. Neither does the famous Swiss hospitality and some of the great hotels in Zurich city center.
So whether you’re looking for cheap accommodation in Zurich, a 5-star hotel in the heart of the city or simply a nice apartment to relax with your family and friends, you will find plenty of choices in this article!
By the way, I do recommend staying for at least a few days (minimum 3 or 4!) in Zurich as there are plenty of things to do and see there. If you need some travel inspiration, I recommend checking out my post about the Best Things to do in Zurich article.
As usual (and for Zurich especially), remember to book well in advance to ensure you don’t miss out on your preferred accommodation choice. Feel free to leave me a comment below with any questions you may have or let me know if you enjoyed one of my recommendations!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!