These beautiful islands in the Caribbean are a paradise for divers, beach, and nature lovers! And because they’re a part of the US, American tourists don’t need a passport to come here.
There are 4 main islands in the US Virgin Islands, however, Water Island is essentially a private island for its inhabitants, with no good hotels or facilities for tourists. So in this post, I’m only going to talk about the remaining 3.
Saint Thomas is the best place where to stay in the US Virgin Islands. Here you’ll find the capital city and some amazing beaches! But that’s just one of these fabulous islands, in this guide, you’ll find 2 other places, St. John which is perfect for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts, and if you’re into history, then you shouldn’t miss out on St. Croix!
Don’t scroll down too fast after reading that part though because you might miss out on a fantastic bonus with the Virgin Islands’ best hotels on the beach!
In each section, you’ll find a carefully curated list of the best hotels and resorts. By the way, I highly recommend booking in advance your accommodations. These popular hotels are set on some pretty famous islands that everyone wants to visit so places book out quickly!
Let’s dive in already!
- If you are in a hurry
- 1. St. Thomas – where to stay in the USVI for first-timers
- 2. St. John – best place to stay in the US Virgin Islands for nature
- 3. St. Croix – best area in the US Virgin Islands for history
- BONUS: Best hotels on the beach in the US Virgin Islands
- BONUS: Best all-inclusive adults-only resorts in the Virgin Islands
- FAQs about Virgin Islands lodging
If you are in a hurry
Eager to book your US Virgin Islands vacation right this minute? Then have a look at the list below, it has the best hotels and resorts on St. Thomas:
Eager to book your hotel right this minute? Then have a look at the map of the Virgin Islands and surrounding area and the list below. You’ll find the best hotels and resorts on St. Thomas:
1. St. Thomas – where to stay in the USVI for first-timers
Who’s in the mood for a holiday where you can lay on the white sand beach all day long, drink cocktails at noon, and swim in the bluest waters? Maybe the question should be who isn’t because I know we all want to be on the beautiful beaches of St. Thomas island at the moment!
This destination is famous for its cruise ships which dock in Charlotte Amalie, the capital of the Virgin Islands. Thanks to its popularity, St. Thomas is also the busiest out of all the US Virgin Islands, and that’s why I highly recommend booking your hotels in advance!
St. Thomas is an upscale holiday destination that tourists love for its huge range of attractions like scuba diving, beaches, and stunning coral gardens. It is also one of the safest Caribbean islands to visit. Yes, this island has it all and if you want to explore it better, make sure to check out our post with the best neighborhoods to stay in St. Thomas. You’ll find all the details you need there!
Whether you’re planning a romantic getaway or a fun holiday with your kids, you’ll find plenty of attractions to keep you entertained in St. Thomas. Besides all the outdoor activities, you’ll find museums, castles, and adventure parks in Charlotte Amalie!
Offering rooms with direct beach access and ocean views, this fabulous hotel is set in the southern part of St. Thomas and has a restaurant on-site. You’ll have the best time here as the beach resort offers plenty of activities like live music shows, water sports, and many others!
Other accommodation options in St. Thomas
A fabulous beach resort near the palm trees that has spacious rooms with ocean views and spa facilities
This affordable place in St. Thomas has many facilities including family rooms with air conditioning
Wake up to a fantastic sight of the Caribbean Sea at this home that has a swimming pool and a private balcony
Point Pleasant Resort – St. Thomas has so many amazing places to stay that I couldn’t end this list just with 4 options. Here’s another mid-range one that I think you’ll love. With a private beach area, this resort has big rooms with a balcony, 3 swimming pools, and a restaurant!
Things to do in Saint Thomas
- Relax on the white sand at Sapphire Beach
- Visit Bluebeard’s Castle in Charlotte Amalie
- See the unique Coral World Ocean Park
- Join a mangrove kayak tour in St. Thomas
- Admire the views at Pacquereau Bay or Nazareth Bay
- Learn new things about St. Thomas at Fort Christian
- Admire the flowers at the Phantasea Tropical Botanical Garden
2. St. John – best place to stay in the US Virgin Islands for nature
Looking to spend as much time hiking in nature as possible during this trip to the US Virgin Islands?
Then St. John is the place for you!
This island isn’t as crowded as St. Thomas, mostly because it doesn’t have a major airport, and most people take a ferry from St. Thomas to get here. Also, a big chunk of the island is protected as it’s part of the St John’s Virgin Islands National Park.
Yes, this island is so beautiful and although you won’t find as many attractions as you would in St. Thomas, trust me, it’s totally worth it to come here, disconnect from the world and chill on Pelican Cove Beach! Plus the great Cruz Bay, the largest town on the island, has plenty of dining, shopping, and entertainment spots, including a casino!
That being said, I hope you’re ready to go on many outdoor adventures while you’re here!
The Virgin Islands National Park has many things waiting to be explored by enthusiastic tourists like the remains of sugar plantations! A few hiking trails also go from the beach to the mountainous area where the views are spectacular so you really have the best of both worlds here!
Unfortunately, there are no luxury hotels in St. John. However, if you have your heart set on a fancy beach resort, I recommend looking at the hotels on St. Thomas, Marriott’s Frenchman’s Cove is a great one and is set right on the beach!
Other accommodation options in St. John
A fabulous resort surrounded by tropical gardens with a private beach area and rooms with private balconies
Feel at home in this inn set in a lush garden that has a swimming pool, beach chairs, and a sun terrace
You’ll love this cozy cottage perfect for 2 people in St. John that has a comfortable bed and a backyard
The Westin St. John Resort Villas – Just like St. Thomas, St. John also has many incredible hotels that you shouldn’t miss out on! This luxury family-friendly resort is set in Great Cruz Bay, right near the beach and it has a spa center where you can relax, a swimming pool, and the Westin Family Kids Club!
Things to do in St. John
- Spend a fun night in Cruz Bay
- Visit the Hope Plantation Ruins in St. John
- Go snorkeling at Honeymoon Beach
- Join a boat tour around St. John
- Explore the beautiful Virgin Islands National Park
- Chill on the white sand beach at Salomon Beach or Pelican Cove Beach
3. St. Croix – best area in the US Virgin Islands for history
Want to combine your 2 favorite things this holiday: history and beach time? Then head over to St. Croix, another beautiful US Virgin Island and the largest island out of all 4!
Although the island is bigger it surely doesn’t get as many tourists as St. Thomas, which is a great thing because, let’s face it, we all want some peace and quiet during our holidays.
St. Croix is home to many historical places like Christiansted National Historic Site, Fort Frederik, and Fort Christiansvaern. The island is a great place to dive into the history of the US Virgin Islands and learn lots of exciting things as Christiansted, the largest town on the island was the former capital city of the Danish West Indies!
But at one point or another, I’m sure all you’ll want to do is sit on a white sandy beach or by the large infinity pool of your hotel and admire those stunning views. And yes there are plenty of beaches and bays on the island like Rainbow Beach and Cane Bay Beach.
Now let’s check out the best hotels in St. Croix:
This beachfront resort offers so many luxurious amenities that you won’t want to leave it! With tennis courts, 5 restaurants, its own golf course, and a private beach area, this accommodation can’t be missed! The rooms are super spacious and have private balconies. During the day you can relax in the swimming pools, hit the fitness center or play on the tennis courts.
Other accommodation options in St. Croix
Featuring a unique decor with brown aesthetics, this St. Croix hotel has comfortable rooms and a private beach
A modern hotel equipped with all the necessary facilities like air-conditioned rooms, a restaurant, and a bar
You’ll love the ocean views of this St. Croix place! It has lots of space, large windows, and a swimming pool
Things to do in St.Croix
- Visit the Christiansted National Historic Site
- Go scuba diving at Cane Bay Beach
- Explore Salt River Bay National Historical Park
- Try different types of rum at Cruzan Rum Distillery
- Sunbathe on the white sand at Rainbow Beach
- Spend a fun day at St George Village Botanical Gardens
- Learn new things at Fort Frederik
- Take a trip to Buck Island
|👑 Luxury price:
|💵 Mid Range:
|💰 Accommodation prices:
|📍 Best area:
|👪 Best area for families:
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:
|Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
|💵 Best mid-range hotel:
|Gallows Point Resort
|👛 Best budget hotel:
|The Green Iguana Hotel
BONUS: Best hotels on the beach in the US Virgin Islands
Let’s face it hotels on the beach have it all! Great views, proximity to the ocean, you might even feel the ocean breeze up in your room! Although there aren’t so many accommodations right on the beach in the US Virgin Islands (more reason to book in advance), I’ve found 3 amazing ones that I’m sure you’ll love!
So let’s check them out:
- Luxury: The Ritz-Carlton – Wake up to the most beautiful ocean view at this fancy hotel on the beach with tennis courts and a swimming pool! With elegant decor and equipped with lots of spa facilities and a spa tub, this beach resort is one of the best places to stay in St. Thomas! Grab breakfast at one of the 4 restaurants and then head to the hot tub or infinity pool to relax!
- Mid Range: Grande Bay Resort – With a great location in St. John overlooking the beautiful Cruz Bay, this resort offers spacious rooms with a living area and a balcony with views of the ocean! Start your day with some coffee and tea in the lobby and then head out to chill on the beach or remain at the resort and take advantage of all their fabulous facilities like the outdoor heated saltwater swimming pool and the fitness center.
- Budget: Sand Castle – This super affordable and comfortable beach hotel is set on St. Croix island right on Frederiksted Beach. Enjoy your Caribbean getaway by chilling on the beach all day long or go for a dip in one of the swimming pools. The accommodation offers well-equipped studios that have a small kitchen, air-conditioning, a private bathroom, and free wifi. Guests will have access to the restaurant on-site which serves delicious dishes!
BONUS: Best all-inclusive adults-only resorts in the Virgin Islands
Maybe you just want to relax without any kids around. That’s okay, I’ve got you covered! There are many amazing USVI all-inclusive resorts for adults only, but I chose only the best of the best for you to ensure you have a great stay!
Explore the stunning U.S. Virgin Islands with ease by booking all-inclusive flight and hotel packages for a stress-free tropical getaway.
- Luxury: The Fred – Adults Only Hotel in Frederiksted offers beachfront accommodations with shared spaces, a tour desk, and free WiFi. Each room includes a desk, private bathroom, and microwave. Guests can also enjoy a terrace and nearby activities like snorkeling and hiking.
- Mid-range: The Pink Palm Hotel – located in Charlotte Amalie, this resort offers a 3-star escape near Morningstar Beach. The hotel features an outdoor pool, free WiFi, and some rooms with kitchenettes. Guests can enjoy a continental breakfast and a hot tub. The hotel provides a paid shuttle to Cyril E. King Airport
- Budget: Sand Castle on the Beach – located on Frederiksted Beach, this hotel offers studios with Caribbean decor, pools, a gym, and dining at the Beach Side Café. Water activities are easily accessible through the reception.
FAQs about Virgin Islands lodging
🏝️What island is best to stay on in US Virgin Islands?
St. Thomas is one of the best places to stay in the United States Virgin Islands. Here you’ll find the capital city of the islands, plenty of things to do like sunset cruises, attractions, and amazing hotels like Bolongo Bay Beach Resort.
🏖️ Which US Virgin Island has the best beaches?
All the islands have incredible beaches but you’ll find some of the most amazing ones on St. John. The island is home to some of the world’s most protected beaches!
📅 What is the best time to visit the Virgin Islands?
April to June is the best time to visit the U.S. Virgin Islands. During that time the weather is perfect without much rain.
🏨 Which are the best US Virgin Islands hotels on the beach?
👪 What is the best place to vacation in the Virgin Islands for families?
St. John offers the best family-friendly vacation experience in the Virgin Islands with its pristine beaches, hiking trails, and the enchanting Virgin Islands National Park.
💑 Which USVI island offers the most intimate atmosphere for couples?
St. Croix, known for its quiet charm, historic sites, and uncrowded beaches, is the top choice for couples seeking an intimate and tranquil USVI getaway
I’m so happy you decided to stick with me until the end!
I hope this guide helped you decide which are the best areas where to stay in US Virgin Islands. We’ve gone through a carefully curated list of the top hotels on each island and some fabulous hotels right on the beach, listed from most to least expensive, so hopefully, it was easy for you to decide quickly which one you want!
There are lots of options, I know, but this will definitely help you with your decision-making process! However, if you need some extra help, here are my top 2 favorite options, both located in St. Thomas:
- Bolongo Bay Beach Resort – A wonderful beach resort where guests can go for a dip in the swimming pool during the day and have fun dancing during the live shows at night
- Gallows Point Resort – This mid-range Virgin Island hotel overlooking Cruz Bay has everything you need for your stay including a private beach area, and an oceanfront pool
Remember what I said about booking in advance! These popular hotels are some of the best ones on the islands and they sell out super fast as lots of tourists come here!
Well, we’ve just wrapped up our virtual journey around the US Virgin Islands! Enjoy your fabulous trip, and the beautiful beaches, I know you’ll want to come back for more after your first visit!
US Virgin Islands tourism plays a significant role in the region’s economy, attracting visitors with its stunning beaches and vibrant culture.
By the way, if you’ve got any questions, you can leave me a comment below and I’ll try to help you with an answer as soon as possible!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!