Santorini (officially called Thira) is one of the most visited spots in the Greek islands thanks to its gastronomy, unforgettable sunsets, and sea views making Santorini a picture-perfect holiday destination!
Now that you have decided to visit the island, it is time to decide where to stay in Santorini. The best place to stay in Santorini is Oia, a charming village on the cliff with gorgeous views of the caldera. But there are many more places to stay such as Fira for nightlife, or Imerovigli, Firostefani, Kamari, Perissa, and Perivolos for a more relaxed vibe.
In this post I’ll help you make the decision easier by giving you hotel options in each area for all budgets, and even some bonus choices if you prefer to stay in a luxury villa or apartment to snap the perfect picture.
I’ve got to warn you, once you’ve found your perfect hotel, hurry and book it immediately because the best hotels here often sell out months in advance, especially in summer!
Are you ready? Let’s go!
- If you’re in a hurry…
- 1. Oia (Caldera) – where to stay for the first time
- 2. Fira (Caldera) – where to stay in Santorini for nightlife
- 3. Imerovigli (Caldera) – best area for honeymooners
- 4. Firostefani (Caldera) – top area to stay with friends
- 5. Kamari (Beach) – where to stay in Santorini with family
- 6. Perissa (Beach) – where to stay in Santorini on a budget
- 7. Perivolos (Beach) – best place to enjoy the beaches
- FAQs about hotels in Santorini
If you’re in a hurry…
For those of you in a hurry, I have selected the best places to stay in Santorini out there, both beach towns and the cliff, with caldera views:
- Best luxury hotel: Charisma Suites
- Best middle-priced hotel on the cliff: Platia
- Best budget hotel: Chez Sophie
- Best value for money: San Giorgio
Which area should you choose?
The first and foremost decision you’ll have to make is if you want to stay in one of the villages on the cliff or if you want to be on the beach.
The hotels and villages located on the cliff area offer beautiful views of the Caldera (a large cauldron-like hollow created after a volcano erupts) and are located on the Western part of the island. You should stay here if you want to experience the famous Santorini sunset.
The beaches, on the other side, are located on the Eastern Coast, but I must add that if you decide to stay there, you can be at the beach in less than half an hour.
- Best areas to stay in Santorini for luxury – Oia
- Best area in Santorini for budget travelers – Perissa
- Best area in Santorini for families – the beach options (Kamari, Perissa or Perivolos)
- Where to stay in Santorini for nightlife – Fira
- Where to stay in Santorini for the best sunset view – Oia or Imerovigli
- Where to stay in Santorini for a honeymoon – Imerovigli
1. Oia (Caldera) – where to stay for the first time
I definitely recommend Oia as being THE best town out there, as it’s the most beautiful one (at least in my opinion) and it has the widest choice of accommodations!
Oia is located in the North-Western part of the island, and it’s a great choice if you want to have gorgeous views of the sunset, countless activities to do during the day, and a bit more peace and quiet during the evening and night. There is only one bar in the town, but you’ll have many options for restaurants and shops and accommodation options for all budgets.
Oia is a two-kilometers long town where you’ll find plenty of accommodation options for all budgets out there, from luxury villas with infinity pools to charming, budget apartments. Scroll down to find the best ones I have selected for your stay:
Luxury (US$700 and up)
- Andronis Luxury Suites – Are you looking for the ultimate luxurious stay in Santorini? If the answer is yes, then this is one of the best hotels out there for you. It offers 5-star service, incredible views, an infinity pool, and more. I would definitely recommend it for a spoiled stay!
- Charisma Suites – If you’re on the search for a superb villa that has its own private plunge pool and the best view in Santorini, you just found it! This accommodation is awesome and awaits a pool bar, free Wi-Fi, and many other cool perks!
Middle-priced (US$120 – US$280)
- Anchor Suites – This is actually a super cool 3-star apartment that has an outdoor pool, a bar, and wonderful rooms with balconies.
- The Museum Project – This hotel will leave you breathless with its outdoor swimming pool, bar, garden, and amazing rooms with a garden view.
Budget (up to US$140)
- Hotel Paradisos Oia – If you’re looking for a pleasant budget stay in Santorini, I recommend this property! It has a cute garden, great views, a very good breakfast served each morning, and all the rooms have either a balcony or a terrace.
- Santo Margarita – This awesome apartment in the city is simple but extremely comfy, and it has a pool, free Wi-Fi, and everything in between.
2. Fira (Caldera) – where to stay in Santorini for nightlife
Fira is the largest town and the capital of Santorini, located on the caldera cliff, which can only mean one thing: the views here are simply superb!
It has countless options for great restaurants, cafes, clubs, shops, supermarkets, and of course, accommodations for all tastes and budgets. Since it’s one of the best areas in Santorini, let me remind you to book in advance!
Since it is the island’s capital, Fira town is very well connected to the rest of the island, so you can reach any other point or beach, such as Kamari Beach (only 20 minutes by bus).
The only downside I can think of is that it’s very touristy, so this area is where all the action and dancing takes place; if you’re looking for a secluded getaway, this might not be the best option for you.
Luxury (US$600 and up)
- Aria Suites & Villas – In case you’re on the search for the best upscale hotel in Santorini, Fira, check out this one! This 4-star hotel has an amazing pool, luxurious suites, and amazing decor!
- Lilium Santorini Villa – Here’s another one on my list of excellent villas in Santorini, Fira! If an impeccable 5-star service is what you’re searching for, then you should definitely book a room here, as you’ll surely love the pool and the unforgettable views over the Aegean Sea!
Middle-priced (US$140 – US$250)
- Platia – Do you want to stay in one of the best mid-range hotels in Fira? No worries, I think I found the best one for you! This amazing hotel awaits free Wi-Fi, clean rooms, concierge service, and more!
- Costa Marina Villas – Here’s another one of the best places to stay if convenience is what you’re looking for! This beautiful guest house is only 200m from the main square in Fira and 400m from the Archaeological Museum of Thera – so cool!
Budget (up to US$100)
- San Giorgio – This newly renovated family-owned hotel combines a friendly atmosphere and a great location to jump-start your holiday! You will also be able to enjoy a cozy swimming pool and a sun terrace.
- Bedspot Hostel – Are you on a very tight budget but still want to enjoy a great vacation in Fira, the capital of Santorini? Don’t you worry, just check out this amazing hostel! Some of the best advantages of staying here include access to a shared kitchen, a shared lounge, free Wi-Fi, and more.
3. Imerovigli (Caldera) – best area for honeymooners
Are you traveling to Santorini for your honeymoon? Then Imerovigli, also known as the “balcony to the Aegean”, is your choice!
If you’re looking for the most romantic, secluded and intimate town along the caldera, then I definitely recommend Imerovigli for couples. This is also the place that offers THE best sunset views out there that overlook the Aegean Sea, so it’s definitely a great choice for a relaxed vacation!
Since you can’t find bars or clubs on this part of the island, this makes it the perfect place if you are looking for the most overall calm getaway along the Caldera. Plus the hotels here are particularly amazing and very luxurious!
That being said, here are the best hotels I have hand-picked for the best stay:
Luxury (US$720 and up)
- Grace Hotel Santorini, Auberge Resorts Collection – In case you’re on the search for beautiful Santorini boutique hotels, then I can surely recommend this one! It’s a 5-star property that offers luxurious suites, postcard-worthy views on the balconies, and everything in between!
- Kapari Natural Resort – This 5-star complex has traditional rooms and suites with incomparable views of Caldera, and its pool features an unparalleled panoramic view of the beautiful Argan Sea. Definitely a must in Santorini!
Middle-priced (US$300 – US$420)
- Athiri Santorini Family Friendly Hotel – For those of you looking for great mid-range hotels with sunset views and the advantage of seeing the Aegean Sea right from the window! The sun terrace is pretty great, as well as the free Wi-Fi and the white-washed rooms!
- Luna Rossa – This one’s a great place to stay if you don’t want to spend a ton of money but still enjoy some breathtaking views of the caldera and the rest of the island! It’s a very beautiful apartment that has a garden, free parking, and an outdoor hot tub as well.
Budget (up to US$130)
- Villa Libertad – Offering an outdoor pool and a snack bar with views of the sea, Villa Libertad will for sure be the best option if you are on a tight budget.
- Ambience Suites – Boasting an outdoor plunge pool and a furnished sun terrace, Ambiance Suites offers elegantly decorated units with pool views and free WiFi. The amazing staff also will help you arrange airport transfers in case you need it.
4. Firostefani (Caldera) – top area to stay with friends
Firostefani is, probably, the most underrated caldera town in Santorini but an amazing choice for all types of travelers out there!
Firostefani is only 15 minutes away from Fira, which makes it an “extension” of the capital, making it a perfect option if you want to be close to the main hub and all it’s great connections, without the hectic crowds.
As you can expect, this area has amazing views just like the other cliff towns, good restaurants, and cafe choices ,but no clubs, pubs, or bars, making it a perfect spot for those travelers that are looking for a serene getaway.
The hotels in this town are located along the main street, which is also a great shopping spot where you’ll find anything you might need!
If you feel like Firostefani is the place for you, here are my recommendations for housing in this area. By the way, the hotels here are also a bit cheaper than Fira!
Luxury (US$550 and up)
- Aerino Villa – This is one of the best places to stay on the island if a complete luxury treatment is what you’re looking for! This upscale guest house has stunning views, beautiful rooms, exceptional breakfast, and more!
- Homeric Poems – Do you want to enjoy some great Aegean Sea during your stay? Then take a look at this place! Plus, if you want to explore Fira as well, it’s only a 15-minute walk away by foot from this accommodation!
Middle-priced (US$100 – US$150)
- Reverie Santorini Hotel – This cool aparthotel has some very good reviews, and it offers stunning views of the Caldera as well. Some other advantages of staying here include free Wi-Fi and a kitchenette that you can use.
- Alonia Studios – If good mid-range hotels are what you’re looking for, then this amazing apartment is an excellent choice! The staff can also provide car rental services, and they also have free public parking.
Budget (up to US$100)
- Afrodete Hotel – Here’s a stylish place for you if you’re traveling to the island on a tight budget! It’s a super nice and clean hotel with simple and comfortable rooms, perfect for a pleasant night’s sleep!
- Argonaftes – If you didn’t find the ideal budget place on the island for your stay, check out this one, I’m sure you’ll love it! Needless to add, it has some pretty cool balcony views, and the rooms are super spacious!
5. Kamari (Beach) – where to stay in Santorini with family
Kamari is one of the most beautiful beaches in Santorini and it’s the perfect choice for families looking for a laid-back atmosphere!
There are tons of amazing beach restaurants, cafes, and taverns along Kamari Beach, where you can take a stroll on the beachfront alley to enjoy the beautiful pebble and black sand.
In terms of convenience, Kamari Beach is only 15 minutes away from Fira by bus (the capital and the hotspot of the island), so no worries about getting to explore both sides of Santorini! By the way, Kamari is also the place where Santorini Airport is located, so this is the place where you’ll land if you plan on going to the island by plane.
Compared to the towns along the cliff, Kamari is more modern and it has plenty of contemporary buildings. So if you think this is the place for you, here are the best hotels in Kamari to choose from:
Luxury (US$550 and up)
- Santorini Kastelli Resort – This one’s definitely one of the best places to stay in Santorini Kamari! Staying here means you’ll be within walking distance to the beach (2 minutes away) and will benefit from 2 swimming pools, a poolside bar-restaurant, a spa, and more.
- Amara Suites – Located in the best-rated area in Kamari, this hotel offers a relaxing private pool area and flavourful food. To top this off, you will be 300 meters away from the beach! Hard to beat this!
Middle-priced (US$140 – US$240)
- Anassa Deluxe Suites – Here’s another cool family-friendly accommodation, this one in the mid-range category. It offers 4-star service, self-catered units, a pool, gardens, private kitchenettes, and more.
- Hippocampus Hotel – For those who want mid-range accommodation on this side of the island, this one is for you! This is definitely one of the best middle-priced hotels on the beach (50m away from it), and one of the best things about it is that it’s environmentally friendly.
Budget (up to US$100)
- Chez Sophie – Are you looking for cheap hotels? Then this is surely the best place to stay in Kamari! Each room has a veranda from where you can see either the sea or the mountains; plus, the property offers free Wi-Fi, an outdoor pool swimming area, and more!
Acqua Vatos – This 3-star small hotel has uniquely decorated rooms and suites, a perfect option if you want to enjoy your vacations without going broke. You can also relax at the large pool in the complex or take a walk at the hotel’s own vineyard.
6. Perissa (Beach) – where to stay in Santorini on a budget
Are you traveling to Santorini on a tight budget? Perissa is the right place for you, with plenty of affordable accommodations and superb beaches!
Perissa Beach is located further away from Fira, but the sand (gorgeous black sand) is much better. But no worries, you can always rent a car or even a scooter if you plan to explore the other sides of Santorini!
Perissa caters to all types of budgets out there, and you can find everything your heart desires, from an upscale private villa to hostels, from tavernas or beach bars to upscale food places. There is also a water park here, so it’s pretty great for families with children as well!
Most of the hotels here are located super close to the beach (and by super close, I mean 5 minutes away), and below I have selected the best ones for you:
Luxury (US$250 and up)
- Anastasia Princess Luxury Residence & Suites – In case you’re on the search for a luxurious place to stay, then I’m pretty sure this one’s for you! It has incredible reviews, a private pool, spacious rooms, a very good breakfast, and more!
- Antoperla Luxury Hotel & Spa – Here’s the best place to stay if you didn’t find your dream hotel for a spoiled getaway! This 5-star hotel has some very cool facilities, including a great location 100m away from the Black Beach, an outdoor pool, and other modern amenities.
Middle-priced (US$90 – US$140)
- Stelios Place – This cool aparthotel is my recommendation for all those of you looking for a great mid-range place in Santorini. One bonus advantage here is that it’s pet-friendly – so nice! I’m sure you’ll enjoy your stay here!
- Margarenia Studios – Here’s another great aparthotel with everything you might need for a pleasant stay, including an outdoor pool and free parking.
Budget (up to US$60)
- Spiridoula Villa – If you’re traveling to Perissa and looking for cheap hotels with amazing accommodations, no worries, this is the place for you! It’s a super cute apartment that has different rooms that you can choose from, all of them with either a balcony or a terrace. Plus, the prices are simply unbeatable!
- Philoxenia Hotel & Studios – Here’s another super affordable family-run hotel (with a swimming pool!) located near the beach in Perissa (5 min walking, to be exact). Just check the prices here. You will be pleasantly surprised!
7. Perivolos (Beach) – best place to enjoy the beaches
Perivolos is located super close to Perissa (3 km from it) and it can be considered literally an “extension” of it, while also being a great option if you’re looking for beautiful, luxurious beachfront hotels!
One of the best things about Perivolos is that it has a wide range of restaurants, cafes, and pubs, all of them located super close to the beach where you can also try some exciting water sports, from scuba diving to jet ski – so great!
Plus, Perivolos is full of great beach bars and clubs, so it’s a great destination if you’re interested in dancing the night away and listening to the coolest international DJs! So, I definitely recommend Perivolos to all youngsters out there!
If you have decided to stay in Perivolos, scroll down to find my hand-picked hotel recommendations for this area:
Luxury (US$270 and up)
- Orabel Suites Santorini – Are you looking for your dream luxury hotel in Perivolos? These hotel rooms are super bright and nicely decorated, and some other cool perks here include a swimming pool, a pool bar, incredible views, and more!
- Petri Suites – Here’s another amazing option if you want to be within walking distance to Perivolos Beach (only 300m away!) and enjoy the ultimate luxurious stay! An outdoor pool, a bar, a garden, and free Wi-Fi – are just some of the cool facilities on-site!
Middle-priced (US$120 – US$190)
- Marillia Village – This is surely the best place to stay if you’re looking for an aparthotel that offers a very good value for the money you’ll be paying! During your stay you can relax in the pool, admire the gorgeous views or just spend some time in the cute garden – I’m sure you’ll like your stay here!
- Bella Santorini – Here’s another great middle-priced hotel on the coastline of Santorini island! Just take a look at the pictures. You’ll see that the pool is simply incredible, and this alone is super inviting!
Budget (up to US$130)
- Villa Mare Angelica – This hotel is not only a few steps away from Perivolos Beach, it has incredible sea views that you can enjoy while cycling with their bicycle rental service.
- Nostos Studios – Here’s a great apartment offering very good prices and excellent service! The cozy studios here all have a private balcony and are sparkling clean!
|👑 Luxury price:||$400|
|💵 Mid Range:||$200|
|💰 Accommodation prices:||High|
|📍 Best area:||Oia|
|👪 Best area for families:||Kamari, Perissa or Perivolos|
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:||Charisma Suites|
|🧳 Best mid-range hotel:||Platia|
|👛 Best budget hotel:||San Giorgio|
BONUS: Most instagrammable Santorini villas with amazing views
Are you looking to take that postcard-like Santorini shot for your Instagram page? No worries, I got you! Scroll down to find my list of the most instagrammable Santorini villas that offer unforgettable views and tons of photo opportunities:
- Infinity Suites & Dana Villas – You can also check out this video to get a better idea of how cool this place is!
- Sophia Luxury Suites – This one has awesome cave suites and cave pools, plus some breathtaking views over the Aegean Sea!
- Amaya Villas – With a privileged location in Oia, Amaya Villas will give you the best instagrammable sunsets and landscapes on the island!
- Mystique, a Luxury Collection Hotel – This one’s super beautiful with many sea-facing terraces!
FAQs about hotels in Santorini
📍 Where should I stay? Fira or Oia?
Oia is the best place to stay in Santorini for most people because it is more touristic; however, Fira is better if you want to party.
📆 How many days should I stay in Santorini?
I find that 4 nights is more than enough time to get to know the island since you can go from one place to another in a maximum of 30 minutes.
✈️ Where to stay in Santorini for solo travelers?
If you want to enjoy the island alone, I recommend staying in Fira to get access to good transportation + the daily dose of nightlife.
🚗 What is the best option to get around Santorini?
You can get around the island in an ATV, a car, and even public transportation. But if you want to avoid traffic, I highly recommend renting an ATV.
🚶♀️ Where should I stay without a car?
Kamari is the best option if you do not have a car since it is where you land if you travel by plane, and you can take the bus to both sides of the island.
Phew, you have reached the end of my complete guide on Santorini accommodation! I hope everything’s clear to you now, and maybe you already found the ideal hotel for your stay in Santorini, am I right? To make things easier for you, these are my 2 favorite options on the island:
- The Museum Project – A perfect place to experience the whole Santorini vibes in your vacations!
- Athiri Santorini Family Friendly Hotel – Situated in the best-rated area in Imerovigli, you will enjoy the Aegean Sea or garden views.
Are you traveling to Greece, Santorini, soon? Do not forget to book your accommodation in advance since the island gets so many tourists all year long!
In the meantime, let me know in the comments below if you have any questions, and I’ll gladly help! And here you can find all our posts on Greece for even more inspiration!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!
Very helpful article, I do hope I’ll be able to travel again soon.
Oh, I know what you’re saying, me too!
What other Greek cities I should visit? Thank you
Hi! I’d say definitely add Athens on your list! 🙂
Nice article, so helpful!
Thanks for this amazing information!
Thank you, it’s my pleasure!