Salzburg is a charming city in Austria that is definitely worth visiting! It’s actually a UNESCO World Heritage Site and it’s indeed incredibly beautiful, mostly known for being Mozart’s birthplace. In case you are planning a trip there, congrats, you’re going to have so much fun!
Salzburg is great for people interested in beautiful architecture, churches full of history, and interesting gastronomy. It’s located right on the border between Austria and Germany, very close to the Alps and it’s an ideal spot if you want to do day trips or winter sports. The city is also known for the Salzburg Festival, the castle, and, of course, the iconic “Sound of Music” movie.
The next issue you might be thinking about is where to stay in Salzburg depending on what you’re going to do and visit. No worries, I got you covered! Below you will find my hand-picked hotel recommendations from luxury boutique hotels to hostels and even apartments, all located in the best areas in the city, such as Altstadt (Old Town), Neustadt and Elisabeth Vorstadt.
NOTE: Salzburg is quite a popular tourist destination, so accommodations get booked really fast. I definitely recommend booking your rooms for your travel dates as far in advance as you can!
- If you’re in a hurry…
- 1. Altstadt (Old Town) – where to stay for the first time
- 2. Neustadt – best place to stay in Salzburg for nightlife
- 3. Elisabeth Vorstadt – where to stay in Salzburg on a budget
- 4. Maxglan – best place to stay in Salzburg for tranquility
- BONUS 1 : If you’re a fan of the “Sound of Music”
- BONUS 2 : Best hotels near Salzburg Airport
- BONUS 3: Best apartments in Salzburg
- Frequently Asked Questions about Salzburg
If you’re in a hurry…
If you don’t have the time to read the whole post, here’s a shortlist of the best hotels in Salzburg, all located in the Old Town:
- Best luxury hotel: Hotel Schloss Mönchstein
- Best middle-priced hotel: Gästehaus im Priesterseminar
- Best budget hotel: Villa Cecconi
Here’s a map that will help you visualize all the areas where to stay in Salzburg that I will be talking about in this post:
1. Altstadt (Old Town) – where to stay for the first time
Salzburg Old Town is also known as Altstadt and it’s basically the core of the city and the oldest part of it! This is 100% the best area where to stay in Salzburg for first time visitors.
Altstadt is located on the left bank of the Salzach River, the main river of the city. This is where all the historic sights and main attractions are located, such as the Mozart Museum, the baroque Collegiate Church (also known as Kollegienkirche) which is one of the most well-known churches in the city.
No wonder that the historic Old Town was named a UNESCO World Heritage site back in 1997, its charm and beauty will make you feel like you’ve traveled back in time!
There are many beautiful streets, a pedestrian zone, historic buildings, shopping options, and excellent restaurants around, so you can never get bored in this area of the city!
So in case you want to stay in the best area for your Salzburg trip, scroll down to find my recommended hotels in Salzburg Old Town. Please keep in mind that people from all over the world come to visit the city, so book your hotel in advance if you want to get the best deals!
Luxury (US$160 and up)
- Hotel Schloss Mönchstein – In case you’re looking for the best Salzburg luxury hotels, you just found my all-time favorite! This one is located in a building on top of a hill and it awaits an outdoor infinity pool, a hot tub, a sauna, a spa area, and gorgeous views from all the rooms. A perfect place to get spoiled, I’d say!
- Hotel Sacher Salzburg – Here is another one on my list of excellent 5-star hotels in Salzburg! This is actually a historical building, as it was first opened in 1866. It’s located right in the heart of the city, within walking distance of all the main attractions!
Middle-priced (from US$120 to US$160)
- Altstadthotel Weisse Taube – In case you’re looking for a Salzburg accommodation that offers great value for money and that’s located in a convenient area, then this is the place for you! The rooms have a gorgeous, contemporary design and the hotel has a great, central location – super close to many cafes and restaurant options!
- Gästehaus im Priesterseminar Salzburg – If you prefer a guest house instead, I got your back! This one has an extremely good location and it comes for a more accessible price. Some of their best amenities include free Wi-Fi, clean rooms, and a kitchenette.
Budget (up to US$120)
Because Altstadt is the very center of the city, it’s a bit hard to find budget accommodations, so it was a real challenge! Still, I found a great option for you that has some more affordable rooms:
- Hotel Krone 1512 – This is a super nice 3-star hotel that has some affordable prices. In case you find an empty room for your stay, make sure to book it as soon as possible! By the way, the rooms are spacious, clean, and super nice!
- Star Inn Hotel Zentrum – This awesome hotel is your perfect base if you want to be close to the center and on a budget as well! For example, Getreidegasse and Mozart’s Birthplace are only 200m away!
Things to do in Altstadt (Old Town):
- Learn new things at Mozart’s Museum
- Visit the beautiful Hohensalzburg Fortress
- Attend a concert and have dinner at Hohensalzburg Fortress
- Catch an exhibition at The Museum der Moderne Salzburg
- Walk around the Residenzplatz square or Mozart Square
- Take the funicular up to Hohensalzburg Fortress
- Admire the architecture of the Salzburg Cathedral and of the Collegiate Church
2. Neustadt – best place to stay in Salzburg for nightlife
Now that you know all about Altstadt, let’s find out about its sister located right across the Salzach River – Neustadt! Neustadt means the “New Town”, although it’s not that new, as it was built in the 19th century.
Make Neustadt your base if you want to be super close to an important landmark in Salzburg – Schloss Mirabell Palace and Gardens, one of the most beautiful Austrian palaces!
Oh, and by the way, even if Mozart was born in the Old Town, Neustadt is where he actually lived after he grew up, together with his family!
This area is great for people looking for some night fun as well, as there are many cool restaurants, bars, and clubs around!
That being said, here are my hand-picked recommendations for the best Salzburg hotels in Neustadt:
Luxury (US$130 and up)
- Numa Fast & Digital – Hotel Mozart in Salzburg is actually an iconic hotel! The decor is really gorgeous and they offer 4-star service. Some of the best advantages of staying here include the proximity to Mirabell Palace and Hohensalzburg Fortress, free Wi-Fi, and beautiful rooms.
- Hotel & Petit Spa Auersperg – This one’s another great luxury option for all travelers that want to stay in Salzburg in style! This accommodation awaits with modern, elegant rooms, a buffet breakfast served each morning, and many local places where you can eat or drink!
Middle-priced (from US$90 to US$130)
- Loft Collection Salzburg Mirabell – This beautiful hotel offers an excellent service for some more accessible prices. By the way, this hotel has family rooms as well, so it’s perfect for a bigger group! Plus, you’ll be super close to all the main attractions in the city.
- Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Salzburg – Here’s another good value option for your stay in Salzburg. This 4-star hotel is super close to the center and public transportation (such as bus stations) and you can choose from a continental or buffet breakfast – a nice bonus!
Budget (up to US$90)
- YoHo – This Salzburg hostel is one of the most well-known in the entire city and it’s literally perfect for travelers on a budget or backpackers! You can choose from many different types of rooms such as double, triple, or even bunk beds in bigger rooms, ideal if you want to save some bucks on your Salzburg accommodation.
Things to do in Neustadt:
- Explore the stunning Mirabell Palace
- Have a cocktail at Havana
- Visit Mozart’s Residence Museum
- Eat some delicious food at Salzburger Schranne Market
- Listen to some music at Burdock Punch&Cocktails
- Go on a Sound of Music tour in Salzburg
- Walk up the stairs to see the Couvent des Capucins de Salzbourg Church
3. Elisabeth Vorstadt – where to stay in Salzburg on a budget
Do you want to enjoy a more local, traditional atmosphere? Then this district might be a great choice for you!
Elisabeth Vorstadt is my recommendation for people who want some more affordable hotels, while still within walking distance to the city center (around 15 minutes). No worries, Elisabeth Vorstadt has many great luxury hotels as well, so there’s something for anyone here!
Elisabeth Vorstadt area is also close to the main train station, so it’s a great base for day trips. Actually, this is an up-and-coming neighborhood that becomes more modern with each passing year, so you’ll find a mix of modern buildings and traditional wherever you look.
If you want to stay in this area, here are my accommodation options for you:
Luxury (US$130 and up)
- Austria Trend Hotel Europa – This is one of the most well-known Salzburg hotels out there! It offers 4-star service and let me tell you this – the rooms are very modern and clean, I’m sure you’ll like them! But the best advantage is staying here is that you’ll only be 100m away from the Main Train Station.
- K6 Rooms by Der Salzburger Hof – Want some more upscale hotels in Salzburg? Say no more! This 4-star hotel is one of the most modern hotels in Salzburg and it’s great if you want to be spoiled during your stay. Do I need to add that you’ll be very close to all the main attractions in the city?
Middle-priced (from US$90 to US$130)
- Hotel Hohenstauffen – This cozy hotel is an ideal choice for people who don’t want to pay a lot on accommodation, but still want to enjoy excellent, high-end service. The rooms are super cute, decorated in a traditional way and the entire hotel is family-run!
- H+ Hotel – Here’s another great 4-star accommodation located right in the heart of the city, close to lots of important attractions such as Altstadt and Mirabell Palace and Gardens.
Budget (up to US$90)
- Motel One – If you want to stay right on the banks of the river and save some bucks at the same time, I don’t think there’s a better choice than this! This motel has some gorgeous rooms and even better prices. It truly offers excellent service!
- Adlerhof – This bed and breakfast in Salzburg is an amazing choice for people traveling on a tight budget! It has a great location, super close to the center by foot (or you can take the bus, why not?). And let me tell you: I just love their traditional room decor, I think it’s super cute!
4. Maxglan – best place to stay in Salzburg for tranquility
For those of you who are seeking an area in the city that’s not as busy or touristic as the historic Old Town, then I recommend checking out the list of hotels that I chose for you in Maxglan.
Located almost 3 miles (4 km) west of Altstadt, this residential neighborhood is perfect for all my readers who are maybe traveling with their kids and want a calm environment and even cheaper accommodations.
I love staying in the city center as much as the next person, but I have to admit that at times if the town is super popular, I choose to stay in areas like Maxglan. Plus the airport is also just 3 miles (4 km)!
- Numa Maximilian Rooms – Elegance, class, and a stunning design that will have you wanting to take pictures in every corner, this great hotel offers free parking and free wifi. There’s even a garden from where you can admire the mountain views.
- Numa Flute Apartments – I like how modern and bright the rooms of this accommodation are. Situated in a renovated villa that dates back to the 1920s, this hotel has family rooms with private balconies and a kitchen.
Middle-priced (from US$90 to US$130)
- Hotel Max 70 – Start your day with a very good breakfast and a cup of coffee at this great hotel that has rooms for families. I also recommend grabbing a good book, the balcony is the perfect place to escape the noise, admire the views and read something.
- Das Grune Hotel – This lovely accommodation will make you feel as if you’re at home! Offering a cozy setup, free parking, and breakfast, the hotel is the perfect place where to stay in Salzburg during your holiday!
Budget (up to US$90)
- Villa Cecconi – Relax and unwind in this villa that’s located just a short bus drive from the city centre area. The hotel offers breakfast and the rooms are equipped with a flat-screen tv.
Things to do in Maxglan:
- Visit The Stiegl Brewery
- Have dinner at Fit smart food restaurant
- Learn more about the city on a guided tour
- Go on a walk around Rainberg mountain
- Attend a food tasting tour in the city
|👑 Luxury price:||€300|
|💵 Mid Range:||€100|
|💰 Accommodation prices:||High|
|📍 Best neighborhood:||Old Town (Altstadt)|
|👪 Best area for families:||Maxglan|
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:||Hotel Schloss Mönchstein|
|💵 Mid-range hotel:||Altstadthotel Weisse Taube|
|👛 Best budget hotel:||Hotel Krone 1512|
BONUS 1 : If you’re a fan of the “Sound of Music”
You might know already, but if you don’t, I’ll tell you: Salzburg is totally THE “Sound of Music” city!
In case you want to visit Salzburg because you’re a fan of the classic movie from 1965, I think that’s a wonderful decision and I got super good news! If you didn’t see it yet, you must watch it before your visit, as it’s an iconic American musical drama about the real story of the singers in the Von Trapp family, which lived in Salzburg.
The movie was filmed in and around the city and I actually found some pretty amazing places where to stay in Salzburg that are strongly tied to the film’s story:
- Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron – If you’re looking for a Salzburg castle hotel that ALSO has something to do with the Sound of Music movie, this one’s for you. This famous hotel was used as a set for many scenes from this classical film, so it’s basically the perfect decision! Plus, you’ll have some great views over the lake or mountain and the rooms are simply amazing.
- Villa Trapp – Okay, are you ready for this? This villa was actually the real residence of the real Von Trapp family! Since 2008 you can book rooms here and experience what it truly means to stay in style! The entire property is super charming and very well preserved and they offer excellent service! But beware, as it’s actually located in Aigen, a suburb of the city!
BONUS 2 : Best hotels near Salzburg Airport
In case you have a super late or super early flight or you want to return a rented car that you used during your stay, a very wise idea would be to book a hotel located as close to the hotel as possible.
Salzburg Airport (SZG) is close to Salzburg center (around 6 km) and it’s the second biggest airport in the country, so if you choose any of the hotels below, you’ll basically have the best of both worlds.
Here are my recommendations where to stay in Salzburg near the airport:
Luxury (from US$140)
- Hotel Himmelreich – If you want to stay close to the airport in luxury, this one’s for you! This property awaits with 4-star service and a very beautiful building, Austrian-style. Some of the advantages of staying here include free Wi-Fi and free bikes, which are super nice!
Middle-priced (US$100 – US$140)
- Hotel Salzburg – Here’s another great 4-star hotel and my recommendation for middle-priced accommodation. Book a room here if you want a Salzburg airport hotel with an excellent location, only 400m away!
Budget (up to US$100)
- Star Inn Hotel – If you’re traveling on a budget, you can book a room here instead! This hotel has a super good value for the price and it’s less than 1km from the airport – what more can you wish for?
BONUS 3: Best apartments in Salzburg
In case you prefer a homey, local atmosphere while you travel, then we’re the same! I totally understand the need for more space and a cozy feel, as well as the advantages of having a kitchen or a shared common space, for example.
The good part is that there is Airbnb in Salzburg and you can find many great options, from private rooms to entire flats!
Here are my hand-picked apartment choices in the heart of Salzburg:
Luxury (US$130 and up)
- Traumhafte Altstadtwohnung – If you want traditional accommodation and some local charm, this is a great option for you! This apartment is super central, in Altstadt, close to all the main attractions and it has many amazing facilities!
Middle-priced (from US$80 to US$130)
- Old Town Salzburg – As the name suggests, you can expect this wonderful apartment to be located right in the heart of the city – and it’s true! The entire place is sparkling clean and it’s hosted in a charming 19th-century house. Super cute and convenient!
Budget (up to US$80)
- Private room in villa – Interestingly, this room is part of a villa built in 1902. Traces of the old times can be seen mainly in the kitchen area with antique furniture and original paintings. Your room, however, is a mix of modern and vintage to make your stay more comfortable. You can also count on the beautiful Japanese garden to make your stay memorable!
Frequently Asked Questions about Salzburg
🏰 What part of Salzburg is the best to stay?
Old Town (Altstadt) is the best area to stay in the city, it’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site with many attractions and amazing hotels such as Hotel Schloss Mönchstein.
📅 How many days are enough for Salzburg?
If you spend between 3 – 5 days in Salzburg you’ll get to see all the main attractions and maybe even have time for some day trips!
🚗 Is Salzburg worth a day trip?
Yes, for those of you who have limited time in Austria, Salzburg can be a great destination for a quick day trip from Vienna.
👪 What are the best family hotels in Salzburg?
This was my complete guide and recommendations on where to stay in Salzburg! In this article, I have talked about the 4 best neighborhoods in the city, with hand-picked hotel accommodations in each of them.
I also gave you some cool places to stay if you are a fan of the “Sound of Music” movie, as well as some apartment options and hotels close to the airport. In short? You’ve got everything you need in this post!
If you read it, I’m sure that you already found the perfect accommodation for your stay. But if you’re still confused about which hotel to pick, here are my top 2 favorites, both located in the Old Town:
- Hotel Schloss Mönchstein – An elegant hotel that has a pool and a spa
- Altstadthotel Weisse Taube – A great hotel with family rooms
Don’t forget the golden rule in traveling: book in advance, and you’ll find the best deals and prices!
In case you need some expert travel inspiration about Austria, here you can find all our articles about this wonderful country.
And if you have any questions and concerns, let me know in the comments below, I’m happy to help!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!