Salzburg is a charming city in Austria that is definitely worth visiting! It’s actually a UNESCO World Heritage Site and it’s indeed incredibly beautiful, mostly known for being Mozart’s birthplace. In case you are planning a trip there, congrats, you’re going to have so much fun!
The next issue you might be thinking about is where to stay in Salzburg depending on what you’re going to do and visit. No worries, I got you covered!
Salzburg is great for people interested in beautiful architecture, churches full of history, and interesting gastronomy. It’s located right on the border between Austria and Germany, very close to the Alps and it’s an ideal spot if you want to do some day trips or winter sports. The city is also known for Salzburg Festival, the castle and, of course, the iconic “Sound of Music” movie.
One of the best things about the city is that it’s super pedestrian-friendly, so you can walk to the most important attractions, regardless of where you choose to stay.
In this article I will explain everything you need to know about the 3 best neighborhoods in the city, with hand-picked hotel recommendations in each of these areas, from luxury boutique hotels to hostels and even apartments. These will be good for anyone, regardless if you are staying for a weekend or for an entire week!
NOTE: Salzburg is quite a popular tourist destination, so accommodations get booked really fast. I definitely recommend booking your rooms for your travel dates as far in advance as you can!
Are you ready? Let’s go!
- If you’re in a hurry…
- 1. Salzburg Old Town (Altstadt) – Where to stay in Salzburg for the first time
- 2. Neustadt – Best place to stay in Salzburg for nightlife
- 3. Elisabeth Vorstadt – Where to stay in Salzburg on a budget
- Best apartments in Salzburg
- BONUS: If you’re a fan of the “Sound of Music”
- Best hotels near Salzburg Airport
If you’re in a hurry…
The best area to stay in Salzburg for first-timers is Salzburg Old Town, also known as Altstadt. It’s the place where all the most important attractions are located, including Mozart’s Birthplace.
Best hotels in Salzburg in a nutshell
- Best luxury hotel: Hotel Schloss Mönchstein
- Best middle-priced hotel: Loft Collection Salzburg Mirabell
- Best budget hotel: Motel One Salzburg-Mirabell
First of all, which area should you choose?
Even though Salzburg is not that big and it’s very walkable, there are still some very different areas where you can stay in the city, each with its own charm and advantages. But which one should you choose? Here are my personalized recommendations, depending on what you’re interested in:
- Where to stay in Salzburg for luxury: Altstadt
- Best area to stay in Salzburg for budget travelers: Elisabeth Vorstadt
- Where to stay in Salzburg for shopping: Altstadt
- Where to stay in Salzburg for nightlife: Neustadt
- Best for families: Nonnberg
That being said, let’s find out everything you need to know about the 3 best neighborhoods in the city:
1. Salzburg Old Town (Altstadt) – Where to stay in Salzburg for the first time
Salzburg Old Town is also known as Altstadt and it’s basically the core of the city and the oldest part of it! This is 100% the best area to stay in Salzburg for first time visitors.
The Altstadt is on the left bank of Salzach River, the main river of the city. This is where all the historic sights and main attractions are located, such as Mozart Museum, the baroque Collegiate Church (also known as Kollegienkirche) which is one of the most well-known churches in the city and the Old Market, for example.
There are many beautiful streets, shopping options and excellent restaurants around, so you can never get bored in this area of the city!
So in case you want to stay in the best area for your Salzburg trip, these are my recommended hotels in Salzburg Old Town:
Luxury (US$160 and up)
- Hotel Schloss Mönchstein – In case you’re looking for the best Salzburg luxury hotels, you just found my all-time favorite! This one is located in a building on top of a hill and it awaits with an outdoor infinity pool, a hot tub, a sauna, a spa, and gorgeous views from all the rooms. A perfect place to get spoiled, I’d say!
- Hotel Sacher Salzburg – Here is another one on my list of excellent 5-star hotels in Salzburg! This is actually a historical building, as it was first opened in 1866. It’s located right in the heart of the city, walking distance to all the main attractions!
- Hotel Bristol Salzburg – Do you want more luxury hotels for your stay? I got you covered! This one is nearby all Salzburg attractions that might interest you. Needless to say, the rooms are super elegant and incredibly beautiful; you’ll feel just like royalty!
- Hotel Altstadt Salzburg Stadtkrug – In case you didn’t make your choice on hotels in Salzburg city centre, this is another great option! This one’s right in the Historical Old Town of Salzburg and it’s hosted in a 700 years old building. Can you believe it?!
- Hotel Elefant Salzburg – Here’s another one of the most gorgeous Salzburg hotels that you can find! The accommodation offers 4-star service and the hotel is actually a 13th century building. The rooms are colorful and very nice and the staff are super helpful!
- Small Hotel Goldgasse – Last but not least, I have another recommendation for people who want a high-end service during their stay. This property has its own restaurant as well (Gasthof Goldgasse) and it’s super close to Mozart’s Birthplace!
Middle-priced (from US$120 to US$160)
- Altstadt Hotel Hofwirt Salzburg – In case you’re looking for a Salzburg accommodation that offers a great value for money, you just found it! The rooms have a gorgeous, contemporary design and the hotel has a great, central location – super close to many cafes and restaurant options!
- Gästehaus im Priesterseminar Salzburg – If you prefer a guest house instead, I got your back! This one has an extremely good location and it comes for a more accessible price. Some of their best amenities include free Wi-Fi, clean rooms and a kitchenette.
Budget (up to US$120)
Because Altstadt is the very center of the city, it’s a bit hard to find budget accommodations, so it was a real challenge! Still, I found a great option for you that has some more affordable rooms:
- Hotel Krone 1512 – This is a super nice 3-star hotel that has some affordable prices. In case you find an empty room for your stay, make sure to book it as soon as possible! By the way, the rooms are spacious, clean and super nice!
- Star Inn Hotel Zentrum, by Comfort – This awesome hotel is your perfect base if you want to be close to the center and on a budget as well! For example, Getreidegasse and Mozart’s Birthplace are only 200m away!
2. Neustadt – Best place to stay in Salzburg for nightlife
Now that you know all about Altstadt, let’s find out about its sister located right across the Salzach River – Neustadt! Neustadt means the “New Town”, although it’s not that new, as it was built in the 19th century.
Make Neustadt your base if you want to be super close to an important landmark in Salzburg – Schloss Mirabell Palace and Gardens, one of the most beautiful Austrian palaces!
Oh, and by the way, even if Mozart was born in the Old Town, Neustadt is where he actually lived after he grew up, together with his family!
This area is great for people looking for some night fun as well, as there are many cool bars and clubs around!
That being said, here are my hand-picked recommendations for the best Salzburg hotels in Neustadt:
Luxury (US$130 and up)
- Sheraton Salzburg – The Sheraton is a famous hotel chain and their accommodation in Salzburg is as impressive as you’d expect! It’s located right across the street from Mirabell Palace and they have many 5-star facilities including a sauna, a fitness center, spacious bathrooms and more!
- The Mozart Hotel by HeymCollections – Hotel Mozart in Salzburg is actually an iconic hotel! The decor is really gorgeous and they offer 4-star service. Some of the best advantages of staying here include the proximity to Mirabell Palace and Hohensalzburg Fortress, free Wi-Fi and beautiful rooms.
- Villa & Hotel Auersperg Salzburg – This one’s another great luxury option for all travelers that want to stay in Salzburg in style! This accommodation awaits with modern, elegant rooms, a buffet breakfast served each morning and many local places where you can eat or drink!
Middle-priced (from US$90 to US$130)
- Loft Collection Salzburg Mirabell – This beautiful hotel offers an excellent service for some more accessible prices. By the way, this hotel has family rooms as well, so it’s perfect for a bigger group! Plus, you’ll be super close to all the main attractions in the city.
- Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Salzburg – Here’s another good value option for your stay in Salzburg. This 4-star hotel is super close to the center and public transportation (such as bus stations) and you can choose from a continental or buffet breakfast – a nice bonus!
Budget (up to US$90)
- YoHo – International Youth Hostel Salzburg – This Salzburg hostel is one of the most well-known in the entire city and it’s literally perfect for travelers on a budget or backpackers! You can choose from many different types of rooms such as double, triple or even bunk beds in biggers rooms, ideal if you want to save some bucks on your Salzburg accommodation.
- ACHAT Plaza Zum Hirschen – Are you looking for some more cheap hotels in Salzburg? Here’s another good option! This one is actually a 4-star hotel but if you book it in advance, you can find some super affordable rates. The rooms are cozy and they have a local vibe, I really like them!
3. Elisabeth Vorstadt – Where to stay in Salzburg on a budget
Do you want to enjoy a more local, traditional atmosphere? Then this district might be a great choice for you!
Elisabeth Vorstadt is my recommendation for people who want some more affordable hotels, while still walking distance to the city center (around 15 minutes). No worries, Elisabeth Vorstadt has many great luxury hotels as well, so there’s something for anyone here!
Elisabeth Vorstadt area is also close to the main train station, so it’s a great base for day trips. Actually, this is an up-and-coming neighborhood that becomes more modern with each passing year, so you’ll find a mix of modern buildings and traditional wherever you look.
If you want to stay in this area, here are my accommodation options for you:
Luxury (US$130 and up)
- Austria Trend Hotel Europa Salzburg – This is one of the most well-known Salzburg hotels out there! It offers 4-star service and let me tell you this – the rooms are very modern and clean, I’m sure you’ll like them! But the best advantage is staying here is that you’ll only be 100m away from the Main Train Station.
- K6 Rooms by Der Salzburger Hof – Want some more upscale hotels in Salzburg? Say no more! This 4-star hotel is one of the most modern hotels in Salzburg and it’s great if you want to be spoiled during your stay. Do I need to add that you’ll be very close to all the main attractions in the city?
Middle-priced (from US$90 to US$130)
- Hotel Hohenstauffen – This cozy hotel is an ideal choice for people who don’t want to pay a lot on accommodation, but still want to enjoy excellent, high-end service. The rooms are super cute, decorated in a traditional way and the entire hotel is family-run!
- H+ Hotel – Here’s another great 4-star accommodation located right in the heart of the city, close to lots of important attractions such as Altstadt and Mirabell Palace and Gardens.
Budget (up to US$90)
- Motel One Salzburg-Mirabell – If you want to stay right on the banks of the river and save some bucks at the same time, I don’t think there’s a better choice than this! This motel has some gorgeous rooms and even better prices. It truly offers an excellent service!
- Adlerhof – This bed and breakfast in Salzburg is an amazing choice for people traveling on a tight budget! It has a great location, super close to the center by foot (or you can take the bus, why not?). And let me tell you: I just love their traditional room decor, I think it’s super cute!
Best apartments in Salzburg
In case you prefer a homey, local atmosphere while you travel, then we’re the same! I totally understand the need for more space and a cozy feel, as well as the advantages of having a kitchen or a shared common space, for example.
The good part is that there is Airbnb in Salzburg and you can find many great options, from private rooms to entire flats!
Here are my hand-picked apartment choices in the heart of Salzburg:
Luxury (US$130 and up)
- Traumhafte Altstadtwohnung – If you want a traditional accommodation and some local charm, this is a great option for you! This apartment is super central, in Altstadt, close to all the main attractions and it has many amazing facilities!
- 600 years Old Town House in the heart of Salzburg – Yup, it’s true, this apartment is located inside a 600 years old townhouse! There are many bus stations and public transport options around and the rooms are simple but very cozy. Honestly, the important plus is the location!
Middle-priced (from US$80 to US$130)
- Old Town Salzburg – As the name suggests, you can expect this wonderful apartment to be located right in the heart of the city – and it’s true! The entire place is sparkling clean and it’s hosted in a charming 19th century house. Super cute and convenient!
- Studio Happiness – This apartment is super bright and cozy and I just love the decor! Even though it’s small, it’s very central and perfect for a good night’s sleep right in the core of the city!
Budget (up to US$80)
- Studio 44 – This small apartment is an ideal choice for people who just want a super central location and a comfy bed. You’ll stay right in the center for an excellent price, so what more can you wish for?
- Ruhige Innenstadtlage – Last but not least, I found this beautiful, centrally located gem that comes with a super good price! It’s close to the railway station and to the center and I just think it’s a great choice.
BONUS: If you’re a fan of the “Sound of Music”
You might know already, but if you don’t, I’ll tell you: Salzburg is totally THE “Sound of Music” city!
In case you want to visit Salzburg because you’re a fan of the classic movie from 1965, I think that’s a wonderful decision and I got super good news! In case you didn’t see it yet, you must watch it before your visit, as it’s an iconic American musical drama about the real story of the singers in the Von Trapp family, which lived in Salzburg. The movie was filmed in and around the city and I actually found some pretty amazing places where you can stay that are strongly tied to the film’s story:
- Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron – If you’re looking for a Salzburg castle hotel that ALSO has something to do with the movie, this one’s for you. This famous hotel was used as a set for many scenes from this classical film, so it’s basically the perfect decision! Plus, you’ll have some great views over the lake or mountain and the rooms are simply amazing.
- Villa Trapp – Okay, are you ready for this? This villa was actually the real residence of the real Von Trapp family! Since 2008 you can book rooms here and experience what it truly means to stay in style! The entire property is super charming and very well preserved and they offer excellent service! But beware, as it’s actually located in Aigen, a suburb of the city!
Best hotels near Salzburg Airport
In case you have a super late or super early flight or you want to return a rented car that you used during your stay, a very wise idea would be to book a hotel located as close to the hotel as possible. Salzburg Airport (SZG) is close to Salzburg center (around 6 km) and it’s the second biggest airport in the country, so if you choose any of the hotels below, you’ll basically have the best of both worlds.
Here are my recommendations:
- Hotel Himmelreich – If you want to stay close to the airport in luxury, this one’s for you! This property awaits with 4-star service and a very beautiful building, Austrian-style. Some of the advantages of staying here include free Wi-Fi and free bikes, which is super nice!
- Hotel Salzburg – Here’s another great 4-star hotel and my recommendation for middle-priced accommodation. Book a room here if you want a Salzburg airport hotel with an excellent location, only 400m away!
- Star Inn Hotel Airport-Messe, by Comfort – If you’re traveling on a budget, you can book a room here instead! This hotel has a super good value for the price and it’s less than 1km from the airport – what more can you wish for?
This was my complete guide and recommendations for your stay in Salzburg! In this article I have talked about the 3 best neighborhoods in the city, with hand-picked hotel accommodations in each of them. I also gave you some cool places to stay if you are a fan of the “Sound of Music” movie, as well as some apartment options and hotels close to the airport.
In short? You’ve got everything you need in this post! If you read it, I’m sure that you already found the perfect accommodation for your stay.
In case you need some expert travel inspiration about Austria, here you can find all our articles about this wonderful country.
And if you have any questions and concerns, let me know in the comments below, I’m happy to help!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!