Are you looking for where to stay in Salzburg? Fantastic!
After comparing all the most gorgeous areas for every interest and finding all the TOP hotels, I am here to give you the best Salzburg guide so you can have an amazing vacation in this dreamy city!
I spent pretty much every other weekend in Salzburg for a whole year, so I’ve got the inside scoop! You should read this post because it makes planning easy for you – just grab your hotel in your favorite area and go!
Flash news: the best area to stay in Salzburg is Altstadt. It is the heart of the city and home to the city’s main attractions. But don’t worry, the city has many other beautiful places and areas to stay!
Salzburg is super touristy, so if you want to book the hotel room of your dreams, you need to book in advance!
If you’re in a hurry…
If you don’t have the time to read the whole post, here’s a shortlist of the best hotels in Salzburg, all located in the Old Town:
- Best luxury hotel: Hotel Schloss Mönchstein
- Best mid-range hotel: Gästehaus im Priesterseminar
- Best budget hotel: Guesthouse Mozart
- If you’re in a hurry…
- 1. Altstadt (Old Town) – where to stay for the first time
- 2. Neustadt – best place to stay in Salzburg for nightlife
- 3. Elisabeth Vorstadt – where to stay in Salzburg on a budget
- 4. Maxglan – where to stay on a budget
- 5. Hellbrunn – where to stay for nature lovers
- Best apartments in Salzburg
- BONUS 1 : If you’re a fan of the “Sound of Music”
- BONUS 2 : Best hotels near Salzburg Airport
- BONUS 3: Enjoy life by the Alps in Salzach Valley
- FAQs about where to stay in Salzburg
Watch my video, it will give you a visual explanation of all the areas:
Here’s a map that will help you visualize all the areas that I’ll be talking about in this post:
- Where to stay in Salzburg for the first time – Altstadt (Old Town) and Neustadt
- Best area for nightlife – Neustadt
- Best neighborhood to stay on a budget – Elisabeth Vorstadt and Maxglan
- Where to stay for nature lovers – Maxglan
1. Altstadt (Old Town) – where to stay for the first time
Salzburg Altstadt, also known as the Old Town, is basically the core of the city and the oldest part of it! Making it the best zone for first-timers!
It’s also a family-friendly area, filled with fun things to do and see for people of all ages!
The zone is filled with beautiful romantic streets, historic buildings, unique boutique shopping options, and the best restaurants in Salzburg! You will feel spoiled!
Altstadt is located by the Salzach River, the main river of the city. This is where all the historic sights and main attractions are located, such as the Mozart Museum, where you can learn all about the musician’s childhood.
It’s no wonder that the historic Old Town was named a UNESCO World Heritage site back in 1997. Its charm and beauty will make you feel like you’ve traveled back in time!
You can also visit Salzburg Cathedral, also known as St. Peter’s Abbey Monastery, which is one of the most iconic landmarks in the city. The monastery dates back to the 7th century and has a historical cemetery you can visit for free!
Don’t forget to visit Nonnberg Abbey, a beautiful church built in the 700s. If you are a fan of “The Sound of Music” the opening scene was filmed here!
Another must-visit in the Old Town is the Hohensalzburg Fortress. It is a stunning medieval fortress that features the most fantastic Alps views. It will charm adults and kids alike!
PRO TIP: when you purchase your fortress ticket, buy the option with the funicular ride to the top of the hill where it is located!
Luxury (€300 and up)
- Hotel Schloss Mönchstein – stay in a palace in the middle of the Old Town! This stunning hotel comes with luxurious decor and exquisite views! Get the most out of your stay and enjoy the onsite spa, swimming pool, and complimentary breakfast.
- Hotel Sacher Salzburg – this hotel is set in a historical building! Feel like a royal in beautifully decorated rooms with an upscale Victorian touch! Located steps away from Mozart’s Residence.
Mid-range (from €150 to €300)
- Altstadt Hotel Hofwirt Salzburg – what an incredible option located 5 minutes from the Bayerische Aussicht observation deck. It offers a delicious complimentary breakfast and an onsite bar!
- Gästehaus im Priesterseminar Salzburg – enjoy a complimentary breakfast at this beautiful guest house! It is set in a religious building and offers big rooms with spotless bathrooms. Located next to Mozart’s residence.
Budget (up to €150)
- Guesthouse Mozart – looking for cheap hotels in the heart of the city? Then, stay in this simple and cozy guesthouse in the heart of Salzburg’s Old Town! This property is great for small and big groups of travelers. The best thing is the private kitchens in all rooms and studios!
- Gasthaus Hinterbrühl – located just a 15-minute walk from Fortress Hohensalzburg! This guesthouse comes with private rooms, some of them with shared bathrooms. I highly suggest the room with a balcony to enhance the stay!
2. Neustadt – best place to stay in Salzburg for nightlife
Now that you know all about Altstadt, let’s find out about its sister located on the right side of the Salzach River, next to the Old Town – Neustadt!
Neustadt means the “New Town,” although it’s not new, as it was built in the 19th century!
Despite its popularity as a tourist destination, it’s actually a tiny city, with Salzburg population levels only just 150,000!
This area is a great choice for all of those looking to stay steps away from the Old Town attractions, pubs, and restaurants for a cheaper price and a local vibe!
Make Neustadt your base if you want to be super close to an important landmark in Salzburg – Schloss Mirabell, also known as Mirabell Palace and Gardens. One of the most beautiful Austrian palaces and has free entrance!
Don’t forget to check out the Salzburger Schranne Market, a local farmer’s market that has been running since 1906! It’s held every Thursday morning.
Oh, and by the way, even if Mozart was born in the Old Town, Neustadt is where he lived with his family from 1772 to 1780, together with his family! You can even visit the Mozart Residence!
This area is great for people looking for some night fun as well, as there are many cool restaurants, bars, and clubs around! I recommend Havana Cocktail Bar. It has a great ambiance, and you can get happy hour drinks for just €5!
If you find any hotels of your liking in the neighboring area of Schallmoos, book them without a doubt. The area is only a 5-minute walk to Neustadt, so there is no difference. In fact, some of the budget hotels I am recommending are in Schallmoos!
Luxury (€250 and up)
- Hyperion Hotel Salzburg – want to stay in a building that looks like a palace? I’ve got you! Just a short walk from Mozart’s residence and Salzburg Central Station, you can enjoy vegan or vegetarian food at their restaurant. Plus, free minibar!!
- Hotel & Petit Spa Auersperg – this gorgeous, family-run boutique hotel is so stylish! Expect an amazing breakfast that guests rave about, and the on-site bar and spa center with massages will be the cherry on the cake!
Mid-range (from €100 to €250)
- Loft Collection Salzburg Mirabell – this beautiful hotel offers excellent service! It comes with family rooms, making it perfect for bigger groups! Plus, you’ll be super close to all the main attractions in the city.
- Numa l Mozart – stay at an iconic hotel! The decor is really gorgeous, and they offer 4-star service. The advantages of staying here include the proximity to Mirabell Palace and Hohensalzburg Fortress, free Wi-Fi, and beautiful rooms.
Budget (up to €100)
- Pension Elizabeth – this cute little hotel comes with all you need for a perfect vacation. If you are wondering where to stay for a family of 6, this property will accommodate you!
- Gästehaus Sonnenblume – this cute and simple guesthouse will make you feel at home! It is located just steps away from all the main attractions and bars. Perfect for solo travelers and couples!
3. Elisabeth Vorstadt – where to stay in Salzburg on a budget
Elisabeth Vorstadt is my recommendation for people who want more affordable hotels in a quiet residential area, with the Old Town just a 20-minute walk away!
This neighborhood is perfect for experiencing a real Salzburger way of life. I highly suggest you visit Jazzit for some live music and to meet locals. They even host events for kids!
Known as the “German Rome,” Salzburg was once deemed one of the most beautiful cities in the world!
Across the river from Elisabeth Vorstadt, you can find Lehener Park in the quiet Lehen neighborhood next to Mülln. The perfect place to relax with mountain views or have a fun picnic with the family or friends!
PRO TIP: Lehen and Mülln are great options if all the accommodations in Elisabeth Vorstadt are gone!
Whether you want to save a few bucks, experience an authentic local vibe, or have a quiet family stay, this area is great for you!
The Elisabeth Vorstadt area is close to the main train station, so it’s a great base for day trips.
Luxury (€150 and up)
- Hotel Zum Hirschen Salzburg – stay in a modern hotel! This property looks dreamy. It is stylish and hip! I suggest the Junior Suite, which has a private sauna and mountain views!
- K6 Rooms by Der Salzburger Hof – this 4-star hotel is one of the most modern hotels in Salzburg, and it’s great if you want to be spoiled during your stay. Do I need to add that you’ll be very close to all the main attractions in the city?
Mid-range (from €100 to €150)
- Hotel Hohenstauffen – this property offers excellent value for money! This hotel comes with a unique old-world vibe! The rooms are super cute, decorated in a traditional way, and it is family-run!
- H+ Hotel – here’s another great 4-star accommodation located right in the heart of Elisabeth Vorstadt. Close to lots of important attractions such as Altstadt and Mirabell Palace and Gardens.
Budget (up to €100)
- Motel One – stay in a trendy hotel with views of the Salzach River! This property offers an optional breakfast and an onsite bar. I personally recommend making use of their complimentary bicycle rental service.
- Mayburg Salzburg – this hotel is ideal! It is located in a quiet area of town, and the old town is only a 30-minute walk away. It comes with an onsite bar and restaurant. I suggest you make use of the room service!
4. Maxglan – where to stay on a budget
For those of you seeking an area in the city that’s not as touristy as Salzburg Center, then I recommend checking out the list of hotels that I chose for you in Maxglan.
This area is located almost 3 miles (4 km) west of Altstadt. This residential neighborhood is perfect for anyone traveling with their kids and wants a calm environment. And, since it is far from the touristy area, you can find cheap accommodation here, making it great for budget travelers.
If you want to stay in an area for hiking trails, then Maxglan is ideal. It is close to the mountains, and greenery will be all around you!
Believe it or not, Red Bull was actually created in Salzburg! Because of this, Austrians are the biggest consumers of Red Bull than any other country in the world!
You can also visit some tourist attractions in this neighborhood. For example, if you are a beer enthusiast, I highly recommend you visit Stiegl Brauwelt. You can book a tour of the production facilities. If you prefer, you can have a traditional Austrian meal with a lovely Stiegl beer at their restaurant!
Something adults and children will love is Hangar-7. This technology museum features loads of exhibitions about Formula 1 and aircraft! If the family feels hungry during the visit, there is an onsite café.
I love staying in the city center as much as the next person, but I have to admit that sometimes it’s nice to stay away from the hustle and bustle of tourist crowds. Plus, the airport is also just 3 miles (4 km) away, so it’s perfect for a long layover as well!
Luxury (€150 and up)
- Das Edlinger – this hotel has a cool and edgy pop art style! It offers spacious rooms for solo travelers and family rooms! This accommodation allows pets on request. It is only a 20-minute drive away from the Old Town.
- Numa Flute Apartments – I like how modern and bright the rooms of this accommodation are. Situated in a renovated villa that dates back to the 1920s, this hotel has family rooms with private balconies and a kitchen.
Mid-range (from €100 to €150)
- Villa Ceconi – stay in a classic and traditional hotel! The property is located only 30 minutes away from Richterhöhe, the observation deck. It offers family rooms and an optional breakfast.
- Das Grune Hotel – this lovely accommodation will make you feel as if you’re at home! Offering a cozy setup, free parking, and breakfast, the hotel is the perfect place where to stay in Salzburg during your holiday!
Budget (up to €100)
- Hotel Max 70 – this hotel comes with charming movie-like views! The garden is the perfect place for family hangouts and picnics! Rooms are spacious, and some of them come with balconies! Located in the heart of Maxglan.
- Numa Maximilian Rooms – elegance, class, and a stunning design that will have you wanting to take pictures in every corner. This great hotel offers free parking and free wifi. There’s even a garden from where you can admire the mountain views.
5. Hellbrunn – where to stay for nature lovers
Hellbrunn is simply a stunning area. Once you are there, you will feel like you’ve been transported to a land of magic.
You will be surrounded by greenery and mountains, but still, the old town is located only a 15-minute drive, and a 25 bus ride away! The area still has a little downtown zone with some traditional restaurants. I recommend Friesacher Einkehr for a good old apfelstrudel.
The absolute main attraction in the area is Hellbrunn Palace and its grounds. First, you need to know that the entrance ticket to the palace also includes a visit to another main attraction in the area: the Trick Fountain, which will entertain kids and adults!
There are no records of who was Hellbrunn Palace’s architect. All there is evidence is that it was built in 1615 for the archbishop Markus Sittikus.
All the gardens around the Palace are free to visit. There, you can find the gazebo, also known as the Sound of Music Pavilion (map), where the iconic song Sixteen Going on Seventeen scene from the Sound of Music was filmed!
In the gardens, you can also find a unique theater made out of stone. In fact, it was carved in stone! It dates from the 1600s and was mainly used for plays and opera concerts. The Steintheater Hellbrunn is hidden in the forest, so I challenge you to find it during your visit!
Luxury (€150 and up)
- Der Schlosswirt zu Anif – Just looking at the hotel, I am feeling relaxed! Imagine staying in a traditional Austrian hotel and waking up to the most incredible views of the Alps and wilderness. The free breakfast looks like a warm hug.
- Hotel Friesacher – Stay in a traditional hotel with a modern twist! This property has it all: beautiful views of Mother Nature, a refreshing swimming pool, and a relaxing sauna! It offers free parking and a complete complimentary breakfast to all guests!
Mid-range (from €100 to €150)
- Walters Apartment – If you want to have the local experience feel, this apartment is for you! It has everything you need for a comfortable stay and more! The apartment can host up to 5 guests and comes with a garden area, perfect for a BBQ under the sun!
- Friesachers Aniferhof – This hotel looks so homey and cozy! It is located a 20-minute walk to Hellbrunn Palace, and near local restaurants. Some rooms come with balconies and unspoiled views of the mountain. Don’t miss out and make use of the complimentary sauna sessions!
Budget (up to €100)
- Pension Schiessling – Simple and beautiful! This property comes with a unique old-world vibe and traditional decor. All rooms are spacious and come with balconies with views. This property is ideal for solo travelers or couples!
- numa I Ivy – This budget hotel looks like a piece of art. It is chic and stylish, I love it! The building features a traditional architectural style, but the interior has been renovated. Select rooms come with a balcony and a lovely soaking tub!
Best apartments in Salzburg
Some of us love staying at apartments during our stay in a city. So, if you are looking for cute apartments in Salzburgerland to feel like a local or have a little more privacy during your stay, I’ve got you!
Luxury (€160 and up)
- Old Town Apartment – if you want traditional accommodation and some local charm, this is a great option for you! This apartment is super central, in Altstadt, close to all the main attractions, and it has many amazing facilities!
- Residenz Salzburg – feel like a local staying in a beautiful apartment in the heart of Maxglan. This property comes with 2 bedrooms and a separate living room. It offers a lush garden and mountain views!
Mid-range (from €90 to €160)
- Old Town Salzburg – as the name suggests, you can expect this wonderful apartment to be located right in the heart of the city – and it’s true! The entire place is sparkling clean, and it’s hosted in a charming 19th-century house. Super cute and convenient!
- Ferienwohnung Claudia – this beautiful apartment is excellent for couples looking for a relaxing stay. It comes with a lovely terrace where you can have breakfast. The Old Town is only a 20-minute drive away.
Budget (up to €90)
- Private Room in a Villa – interestingly, this room is part of a villa built in 1902. Your room, however, is a mix of modern and vintage to make your stay more comfortable. You can also count on the beautiful Japanese garden to make your stay memorable!
- Charming Central City Apartment – located just a 5-minute walk from Salzburg Cathedral, this central apartment is a fantastic option for a couple! It’s also on one of the oldest streets in Salzburg, a haven for artists!
|👑 Luxury price:
|📍 Best neighborhood:
|Old Town (Altstadt)
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:
|Hotel Schloss Mönchstein
|🧳 Mid-range hotel:
|Gästehaus im Priesterseminar
|👛 Best budget hotel:
BONUS 1 : If you’re a fan of the “Sound of Music”
The Sound of Music was filmed in Salzburg!
The Sound of Music is an iconic American musical drama from 1965. It tells the real story of the Von Trapp family from Salzburg!
If you haven’t seen the film, stop everything and watch it! If you already have and you are visiting Salzburgerland because you’re a fan of the movie, I have exciting news for you!
The movie was filmed in and around the city, and apart from visiting some of the locations during your stay, you can actually stay where it was filmed!
- Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron
This fantastic hotel was the main filming location for the Von Trapp family villa! So if you stay here, you’ll stay in a piece of history! There is a lake near the hotel. It is the location for the boat scene. The one where all the kids fall from the boat to the lake!
BONUS 2 : Best hotels near Salzburg Airport
In case you have a super late or super early flight, or you want to return a rented car that you used during your stay, a very wise idea would be to book a hotel located as close to the airport as possible.
Here are my recommendations for lodging in Salzburg near the airport, from lux to budget:
- Hotel Himmelreich – if you want to relax like no other before catching a plane, you will love this hotel! It comes with an onsite spa center and swimming pool. Select rooms come with a jacuzzi! It is located a 10-minute walk away from Salzburg Airport.
- Hotel Salzburg – what a great 4-star hotel, and my recommendation for Mid-Range accommodation. Book a room here if you want a Salzburg airport hotel with an excellent location, only a 15-minute walk away!
- Leonardo Hotel Salzburg Airport – this hotel was previously named Star Inn. It is the perfect hotel for those looking for modernity and comfort! It offers an express check-in and check-out for a trouble-free stay.
BONUS 3: Enjoy life by the Alps in Salzach Valley
The region is known as the Salzach Valley and nestles beautiful small burgs with rich history and breathtaking views and if you are looking for a nice city break, I can highly recommend this area!
One of the most important towns in the area is Hallein, located only a 15-minute drive away from Salzburg Old Town. This city is known for its salt history, also called white gold! When the Celts arrived in the area, they imposed the mining of salt.
During your time in Hallein, make sure you visit the Salzwelten Mine. You can get a combo ticket to see the Celtic Village and learn about its history. Also, don’t forget to check out the Silent Night Museum and Kaltenmuseum when in town!
Another must-stop in Salzach Valley is Werfen. It is located an hour away from the city of Salzburg, and it’s mostly known for the unique Werfen Ice Caves and the Hohenwerfen Castle.
The castle is an architectural jewel, and it appears in the background during the “Do Re Mi” scene on “Sound of Music.” I personally recommend you follow the Sound of Music Trail to not miss out on anything!
Last but not least, Göllin an der Salzach is the best place to relax and enjoy nature with some nice leisure activities. You can go for a hike in the stunning nature reserve of Bluntautal Valley, visit the historic Gölling Castle, or simply have a traditional meal at a local restaurant!
If you want to relax in style, Aqua Salza is a great spa with a sauna, and kid-friendly!
WARNING: expect cute little cows, cowbell sounds, beautiful landscapes, and apple trees when wandering around Salzach Valley!!
Here you have some incredible accommodation options along the Salzach Valley:
- Gasthof Hohlwegwirt – Stay in a traditional Austrian hotel in Hallein! This cozy and homey hotel will transport you back in time to olden times! The rooms are beautiful, and some of them come with a balcony with views. The complimentary breakfast looks delicious!
- Der Burgblick – This adults only hotel comes with the most amazing views of Hohenwerfen Castle! The rooms are modern and trendy, and most of them come with a balcony. There is free parking available for guests and ski storage.
- Gasthof Hotel Hauslwirt – Located in the heart of Göllin an der Salzach, this hotel is perfect for a relaxing stay with a partner or your family! The staff will make you feel at home, and you will sleep like royalty in the comfortable rooms.
FAQs about where to stay in Salzburg
🌄 What is the best area to stay in Salzburg?
Old Town (Altstadt) is the best area to stay in the city. It’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site with many attractions and amazing hotels, such as Hotel Schloss Mönchstein.
📅 How many days are enough to see Salzburg?
If you spend 3 days in Salzburg, you’ll get to see all the main attractions. If you want to take some day trips, I suggest you stay at least 5 days!
🚗 Is Salzburg worth a day trip?
Yes, if you have limited time in Austria, Salzburg can be a great destination for a quick day trip from Vienna. Salzburg is close to Germany border. So, if you are staying in Munich, Salzburg is less than a 2-hour train ride away.
👪 What are the best family hotels in Salzburg?
🏰 Can you sleep in Castle hotels in Salzburg?
🎄 Where is the best place to stay in Salzburg for Christmas markets?
The Old Town is the best place If you are traveling to Salzburg in the wintertime, especially in December, for the Christmas Markets. A great hotel option is Guesthouse Mozart.
💓 What should you not miss in Salzburg?
👶 Where is the best place to stay in Salzburg for a family of 6?
🌃 Where is the best area to stay in Salzburg for one night?
If you are staying in Salzburg for one night, I recommend the Old Town for easy access to landmarks and museums.
🚶How walkable is Salzburg?
Salzburg is a very walkable city! The city is super cute and small, so you will have all the main attractions nearby no matter where you stay. And I personally recommend walking to take in all the beautiful places in the city!
It’s a wrap, angels! Now you know where to stay in Salzburg! Altstadt is the best one for first-timers. Still, there are 3 more neighborhoods for all tastes!
I also gave you some cool places to stay if you are a fan of The Sound of Music and if you want to stay in an apartment!
All the hotels in this article are beautiful, but if I had to choose my top 2 favorite accommodations, I would go with:
- Hotel Schloss Mönchstein – an elegant palace hotel with an outdoor swimming pool and a top-tier spa!
- Guesthouse Mozart – perfect mix of modernity and tradition. Also, a great hotel for families and solo travelers!
Salzburg is super popular all year round, so you must book in advance to find the best deals and prices!
If you need expert travel inspiration about Austria, here you can find all our articles about this wonderful country.
Which of these areas was your favorite? Let me know in the comments!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!