Also known as the “Pearl of the Adriatic Sea,” this beautiful town is a favorite place for those in love with ancient architecture, poetic palaces, and pristine beaches! Dubrovnik, Croatia is a UNESCO World Heritage site, and it peaked its popularity when the Game of Thrones crew decided to make it one of their main filming locations.
We can’t be surprised by that! It’s hard not to fall in love with this unique city and its famous city walls, which were never breached!
If you’re wondering where to stay in Dubrovnik, because let’s face it, all the areas are so magical that it can be tough to choose, don’t worry! By the end of this article you’ll make up your mind! I’ve looked through hundreds of hotel lists to find you the absolute best one for each price range and I only recommend the best-rated hotels that I would choose for myself!
There are so many things to do and see here! I’m happy I’ll get the chance to tell you all about the Dubrovnik best areas and all the top accommodation options from boutique hotels to mid-range hotels. Just keep in mind that you should book in advance if you want to get a great deal as these book out super fast!
The palaces are waiting for us! Let’s go!
If you are in a hurry
Here’s a list of all the best hotels in Dubrovnik Old Town that will help you decide quickly where to stay:
The Pucic Palace
Best luxury hotel
An Airbnb with amazing reviews
Best value for money
Best affordable accommodation in the center
Here’s a map of all the areas in Dubrovnik Croatia that I’m going to talk about in this post:
1. Old Town – where to stay in Dubrovnik for the first time
Welcome to the heart and soul of Dubrovnik! Located in the southeastern part of the city, this area is famous for its medieval walls made completely out of white stone! And not just that, if you’ve watched Game Of Thrones I’m sure you’ll recognize tons of locations from the Old Town. All the big historical landmarks, museums, and gothic architecture make this area the best choice where to stay in Dubrovnik.
This city is a UNESCO World Heritage site and it’s not the only one in Croatia, the Plitvice Lakes are also included and a place I highly recommend you visit. You can find more about it in this post about the best accommodation near the lakes.
Start your day by walking on the popular Stradun street in the Old Town, made entirely out of white marble! This is a top attraction for every tourist, and you’re so going to love the feeling that you get here! It’s like opening the door to the past with all the Renaissance houses lining each side of the street.
You should also see the ancient city walls and get lost in the magical atmosphere there. If you choose a hotel in the heart of the Old Town then you’ll be able to get around on foot as most attractions are less than 20 minutes away from the accommodations.
I recommend waking up early, having a coffee, and continuing your Croatian holiday with a visit to the Rector’s Palace and Sponza Palace in the Old Town. And again, I highly recommend booking the hotels here in advance as this is the most popular area to stay in the city and a top destination area for most tourists!
Experience the royal treatment in this charming 5-star hotel located in an 18th-century baroque building. Imagine waking up to the most romantic views of the Old Town and drinking your coffee in that comfy bed! Go downstairs, have a delicious breakfast, and get ready for another day of exploring around the city walls. Absolutely perfect if you ask me!
Other accommodation options in Old Town
A fantastic 16th century manor in the Old Town with spacious rooms, balcony which serves breakfast
A quaint guesthouse in the heart of the Old Town that has air-conditioned rooms and a shared kitchen
A great place to stay in the Old Town that offers self catering and the comfy rooms have air conditioning
Things to do in Old Town
- Visit Rector’s Palace and Sponza Palace in Dubrovnik Old Town
- Climb up the Minčeta Tower for views of the Adriatic Sea
- Walk around The Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary
- Admire the beauty of the Church of Saint Blaise in the city center
- Book a tour to see “King’s Landing” from Game of Thrones
- See the amazing 12th century Vrata od Ploča gate
- Attend a party at Revelin nightclub in an ancient fortress
- Learn new things at the War Photo Gallery in the Old Town
- Take the family to the Maritime Museum in the city center
2. Lapad – best area for families
This beautiful residential area is situated 3 km (2 miles) northwest of the Old Town on the Lapad Peninsula. If you’re wondering where to stay in Dubrovnik with the whole family, then I suggest booking your trip here! Thanks to its fantastic beaches where you can try all sorts of watersports and the many restaurants nearby, Lapad will be the best place to explore with your family. If you’re looking for more amazing places in Croatia with your kids, check this article on where to stay in Split!
Even if you decide to stay at a hotel here, you can still easily explore the Old Town as the buses run frequently and it only takes 15 minutes to get there. However, I’m sure it will be hard to leave Lapad as you’ll find a beach at every corner, and the spectacular views overlooking the Adriatic Sea will make you fall in love with Lapad.
If you enjoy spending as much time in nature as possible, then you’ll be happy to know that the beach won’t be your only choice. Just above the sea, you’ll find a forest on a hill that has the most amazing view of the Peninsula! Take some time and enjoy the “lungs of Dubrovnik” with your whole family!
Here are the best family hotels in Dubrovnik for you…
Staying in Dubrovnik will feel like heaven in this modern luxury beach hotel which has the best sea views! You can spend a whole day relaxing at the spa and then have a swim in the pool. Have a drink at the pool bar and get ready to experience the most beautiful sunset that you’ll ever see from the rooftop terrace!
Other accommodation options in Lapad
Stay in Lapad in a charming hotel that has a balcony, swimming pool, and the rooms are spacious
One of the best places to stay on Lapad Peninsula that has a terrace, restaurant, and free wifi
A fully equipped cozy place with a balcony, a kitchen, and there’s a short walk to the beach
Things to do in Lapad
- Spend a whole day relaxing at the Uvala beach in Dubrovnik
- Admire the architecture of the Saint Michael Church in Lapad
- Head to the Old City and the walls of Dubrovnik
- Climb and explore the Velika Petka in Lapad
- Have a drink at Škar Winery Dubrovnik
- Rent a kayak and explore the views of Lapad and Dubrovnik
- Visit the Cave bar More for a unique experience in Dubrovnik Croatia
- Have fun at Puzzle Punks Escape Room perfect for Game of Thrones fans
3. Ploče – where to stay in Dubrovnik near the beach
This area is located east of the Old Town and even if you choose a hotel to stay here, you can take the bus to visit attractions in the other neighborhoods. Ploče is the perfect place to stay in Dubrovnik if you want to enjoy visiting many historical sites, but there’s also a beach nearby where you can relax and enjoy the beautiful Adriatic Sea.
Ploče will offer you the best of both worlds! What I mean by that is that you’ll be close to all the ancient sites, but at the same time, you have the Banje beach in this area, which by the way, is the biggest public beach in Dubrovnik! Yay! I would love to sunbathe here! This area also has some of the best bars and restaurants where you’ll find fresh seafood!
If you’re still debating where to stay in Dubrovnik, I highly recommend this area! And make sure you book in advance to get your hand on the best hotels! You can spend your days relaxing on the beach with a cocktail in your hand, and then eat a delicious meal at one of the restaurants! Plus you can walk 10 minutes to the Old Town and visit other museums and palaces!
This boutique hotel located near the beach has the most elegant design! I just love the sea view from their restaurant, it looks like such a romantic place to watch the sunset! You can even enjoy a day at the spa after exploring Dubrovnik or have a drink at the bar to end your evening nicely!
Other accommodation options in Ploče
A 300-year-old mid-ranged hotel in Dubrovnik that has a charming terrace and the rooms are spacious
Family-friendly hotel with a beautiful panoramic view of the sea, a terrace, and air conditioning
A simple yet chic villa with all amenities that has a big balcony with an amazing view of the Adriatic Sea
Things to do in Ploče
- Spend a relaxing day on Banje beach in Dubrovnik
- Eat dinner at Cafe Lazareti
- Admire the beautiful Ploče gate within the city walls
- Have a cocktail at Banje Beach Night Club
- See some beautiful Croatian art at the Museum of Modern Art
- Take a walk to explore the Old Town
- Ride the cable car to the Srd mountain and see the most amazing views of Dubrovnik
4. Gruz – best place to stay on a budget
If you want to experience the local vibe of Dubrovnik and not pay a fortune for the hotels and restaurants, then I highly recommend booking your place here in advance! Located north from the Old Town, just 4 km (2 miles) away, this area is also popular because it’s the main port in Dubrovnik. A residential neighborhood where you won’t see as many tourists as in other places means that the hotel prices will be lower. Yay!
The marina here is very nice, not to mention the spectacular view of the Adriatic Sea! If you’re thinking of going on a day trip to any of the islands nearby, then staying in Gruz will be perfect for you. You can easily arrange a ferry trip to the Elaphite Islands, which look so beautiful!
Enjoy one of the best neighborhoods in Dubrovnik with its authentic Croatian atmosphere and eat some delicious seafood at one of the restaurants while you’re here!
One of the best places to stay in Dubrovnik, this family-owned hotel offers spa services if you need a day off from exploring around! You can swim in the morning and then head down to the bar in the evening to have a glass of wine and get ready for the next day!
Other accommodation options in Gruz
A spacious mid-ranged apartment with large windows, cozy rooms, and free wifi
This modern hotel offers an outdoor pool, family rooms, and a nice view of the city from the terrace
Fully equipped apartment with a patio, backyard, free wifi, and a spacious, lovely room
Things to do in Gruz
- Visit the Red History Museum
- Walk around the Gruz Port and admire the ships in Dubrovnik
- Head downtown to see the Old Town
- Have a drink at the Dubrovnik Beer Company
- Eat a delicious pizza at RETRO
- Take a water taxi out to the Lapad Peninsula
- Take a ferry to Elaphite Islands
5. Babin Kuk – for luxury travelers
Located on the northern part of the Lapad Peninsula, just 4 km (2 miles) away from the Old Town, this area is perfect if you want to find luxury hotels but at the same time enjoy some peace and quiet during your stay in Dubrovnik. The beach is surrounded by huge rocks and green, full of spots that will make you relax and forget all your worries.
You’ll find some of the best hotels here, not to mention the wide variety of bars and restaurants. Enjoy a full day of lying on the beach, admiring the beautiful views, and taking long romantic walks on the shores of Babin Kuk.
Don’t be surprised if you spot many luxurious yachts and stylish spas! If you want some more privacy, you can head to the private beach, Copacabana, where there are tons of watersports activities, boat rides, and delicious food at the high-end restaurants.
This 5 star hotel in Dubrovnik is surrounded by beautiful Mediterranean vegetation and has a beach nearby. You can’t miss a fantastic view here, they’re available even from your room window, not to mention the outdoor pool scenery! Dress up, go downstairs and have a fabulous night at the hotel’s restaurant and bar!
Other accommodation options in Babin Kuk
A friendly hotel in Dubrovnik with all amenities and a garden, located just a short walk from the beach
An on budget hotel placed in an authentic stone building, they have family rooms and free wifi
An on budget apartment that has all amenities, a spacious room with big windows and a balcony
Things to do in Babin Kuk
- Relax on the Copacabana private beach
- Eat a delicious seafood meal at Orsan Dubrovnik
- Have a cocktail on Mandrac beach
- Go visit the Old Town
- Enjoy a luxurious day at the Coral Beach Club
- Rent a jet ski and explore the sea
- Go on a boat tour in Dubrovnik
6. Pile – best place to stay close to public transportation
Famous for its ancient 15th-century city wall, Pile gate, and the 11th-century Lovrijenac fortress, this area is perfect for those who don’t like to stay in one place while traveling. Because this is where most city buses have their last stop, you will find it super easy to explore other parts of the city like the Lapad Peninsula; plus, Pile is located within walking distance, just east of the Old Town.
Pile and the Lovrijenac fortress look like those medieval places that you see in history books and wonder how many wars took place there. Built on a 30-meter high rock, the fortress has to be one of the most unique places outside the Old Town in Dubrovnik. Historians believe that it was built between 1018 and 1038. Wow, that’s a really long time! The views are so beautiful from here you can’t miss the chance to see a sunset at this place in Pile.
You can spend your mornings in one of the many cafes, have a strong espresso and get ready for a full day of sightseeing and walking around. Of course, for those of you who want to relax and enjoy the Croatian sun, you can walk down to Dance beach and stay until the sun goes down!
Set in a historic 1897 building, this is one of the best hotels in Dubrovnik! The room views are breathtaking and most attractions are located within walking distance. Have a day to yourself at the spa, and then head downstairs for a glass of wine at the bar that views the Lovrijenac fortress.
Other accommodation options in Pile
Things to do in Pile
- Visit the Lovrijenac fortress
- Go to Old Town and see the Onofrio Fountain and the Franciscan Monastery
- Admire the views from Fort Bokar
- Go in the Old Town through the Pile Gate
- Stop by Kolorina beach, a location used in the Game of Thrones series
- Watch the sunset in the historic Gradac Park
- See the gothic architecture of St. Saviour Church
- Have a relaxing day at Dance beach
|👑 Luxury price:||€170|
|💵 Mid-range hotel:||€90|
|💰 Accommodation prices:||Low|
|📍 Best Area:||Old Town|
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:||The Pucic Palace|
|👛 Best budget hotel:||Festa Apartments|
BONUS: Things to know about parking in Dubrovnik
If you’ve decided to visit Dubrovnik by car or you’re thinking about renting one, then you should definitely know a few things. We all get carried away when we’re on holiday and sometimes forget about all the logistics!
Parking in a city like Dubrovnik can be a nightmare especially if you don’t know anything about their rules. That’s why I thought I would give you all the information you need on the topic. This city is charming and I don’t want your trip to be affected because you weren’t prepared.
1. Street Parking Zones
There are 5 parking zones in the city of Dubrovnik, and each zone has a different parking fee, however, the ticket price also varies depending on which time of the year you’re visiting. As you might’ve expected, during the summer the prices reach a peak.
The most expensive one is Zone 0, where the price can reach 70 kunas (US$10) per hour and the cheapest is Zone 4, but that’s super far from the Old Town, and you’ll end up taking a cab or bus to get there.
- Zone 0: Monday to Sunday (00:00 am – 23:59 pm)
- Zone 1: Monday to Sunday (06:00 am – 22:00 pm)
- Zone 2: the schedule is not available, check before going
- Zone 3: Monday to Sunday (06:00 – 22:00 pm)
- Zone 4: the schedule is not available, check before going
Check out this map so that you can visualize where each zone is located and how far or close it is from all the attractions.
2. Other Parking options in Dubrovnik
- Most expensive: around the Dubrovnik Old Town: from 20 kunas (US$3) to 70 kunas (US$10) per hour
- Close to the port and buses: Parking Lot in Gruz Port: 20 kunas (US$3) per hour
- Underground Option: Dubrovnik City Garage: from 20 kunas (US$3) to 30 kunas (US$5) per hour
- Free parking: in Banin Kuk
3. How to buy and pay your parking ticket
I know some of you might think about taking a risk and not paying for your spot, however, you should know that you will have to pay a fee if you don’t get a ticket and there’s no excuse as there are plenty of ways to pay for your parking:
- Parking Metres: the parking metres are easy to notice, but before you get your ticket make sure you know for sure in which zone you parked your car and that you have exact change
- By text: you’ll need a Croatioan phone number for this, then check the panels in the parking bay and text your license plates to the phone number shown.
- By App: get the PayDo app and pay for your ticket online
- From a newsagent: find the closest newsagents shops and buy your ticket
4. Best hotels with free parking
As you can see there are many things to take care of when parking your car, and I highly recommend booking a hotel that offers free parking, that way you only need to figure out where to park when you’re going around town and don’t worry about paying extra for the time that you’re in the hotel.
- Guesthouse S&L – Enjoy the beautiful weather in the garden of this accomodation that’s located in Gruz. Oferring many amenities, including free parking, a kitchen and outdoor fire place, this charming hotel is equipped with everything you need for your trip. Just wait until you see those sea views from the balcony, they’re incredible!
- Villa Dard – This spacious villa is perfect for your holiday in Dubrovnik! It’s super large and you even have a small terrace where you can gather up with your friends to have a wine of glass or 2 and change opinions about the city. The accomodation offers free parking, family rooms and breakfast!
- Kosovic Apartment – Fancy a place that offers panoramic sea views? Well, then this accomodation is going to be perfect for you. It offers self-catering facilities and it’s located in Pile. Other amenities also include free parking, family rooms and a dining area.
Frequently asked questions about Dubrovnik
🏛️ What is the best area to stay in Dubrovnik?
The best area to stay in Dubrovnik is the Old Town, as it has all the big historic landmarks, museums, and palaces! Plus, here you’ll find the best boutique hotels within walking distance.
🤔 Is it better to stay in Old Town Dubrovnik or outside?
It’s ideal to stay in the Old Town of Dubrovnik because that way you’ll be very close to all of the top attractions for tourists and you won’t have to take the bus to go places.
🏨 Where should I stay in Dubrovnik Old Town?
The Old Town’s best hotel is the Pucic Palace, an amazing 18th-century baroque building that has a beautiful view of the city.
🇭🇷 Is it better to stay in Split or Dubrovnik?
Dubrovnik is the best area to stay in if you’re planning on visiting Croatia, it has the historical Old Town with the city walls, beaches and you can take day trips to most of the islands nearby.
🍸 Where is the best hotel in Dubrovnik for nightlife?
👪 What is a good hotel in Dubrovnik for families?
If you’re wondering where to stay in Dubrovnik with your family then Hotel Palace can be a good choice for you as it has spacious rooms, 2 swimming pools and it’s located in a family-friendly area.
I absolutely loved it! There’s something so magical about Dubrovnik, I don’t know if it’s all the legends and myths or the beauty of the Old Town of Dubrovnik and its unbreachable city walls. but I had a great time telling all about the best areas from Lapad and Babin Kuk to Old Town and all the others!
I know, I did it again! I’ve given you so many hotel options and they’re all pretty amazing so you should definitely book them in advance. To make your life much easier here are my top 2 choices both located in Dubrovnik’s Old Town:
- The Pucic Palace – The Old town’s best hotel set in an 18-century Baroque palace
- Scalini Palace – An elegant hotel with lovely views of Dubrovnik’s Old Town
I hope this article helped you decide where to stay in Dubrovnik, Croatia! Wander around this magical place, discover all the fantastic touristy spots in the Old Town and spend your days sunbathing on the pristine beaches of Dubrovnik!
Do leave a comment if you have any questions or suggestions for our traveling community.
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!