Split is the second largest city in Croatia after Zagreb and one of my favorite places in this beautiful country! The city is a unique blend of modern and traditional, located right on the Dalmatian Coast. Split is full of great beaches and is surrounded by nice little islands where you can go for a day trip, which makes it a perfect vacation destination!
Now that you decided to visit this amazing city, you might be wondering where to stay in Split, am I right? Luckily, I’m here to help! Keep reading to find out about my complete guide on the best areas and the best places to stay in Split, all broken down by budget and interests!
You will find here carefully chosen recommendations for best hotels in Split for all budgets, apartments and even villas, so regardless of where you are planning to stay in the city, you will find something for each taste in this article. Are you looking for a heritage hotel? A family hotel? A villa? A budget-friendly Split hotel? You’ll find all these in this post!
Are you ready? Let’s go!
- If you’re in a hurry…
- 1. Old Town Split – Where to stay in Split for the first time
- 2. Veli Varos
- 3. Radunica – Where to stay in Split on a budget
- 4. Bacvice – Where to stay in Split for the beach
- 5. Znjan – Where to stay in Split for families
- BONUS 1: Where to stay in Split, Croatia – Best Apartments
- BONUS 2: Where to stay in Split, Croatia – Best Villas
If you’re in a hurry…
The best area to stay in Split for first-time visitors is Split Old Town. This is the city center and the heart of the entire Split, so staying here means you’ll always be close to all the important attractions and activities to do there, including restaurants and cafes. By the way, the famous Diocletian’s Palace is also located in Split’s Old Town!
Best hotels in Split, Croatia in a nutshell
Which area should you choose?
First of all, here is a map of all the 5 neighborhoods I’ll be talking about in Split, so you can easily visualize them:
Even though Split is not that huge (it has a bit more than 175.000 people living there on 79 sqm), it is divided into 8 different districts, each of them further divided into different smaller neighborhoods and areas, each with its own unique charm and advantages.
So how can you choose the right area for you out of all these places to stay? Just scroll down to find my personalized list of recommendation by budget and interest:
- Where to stay in Split for luxury: Split Old Town
- Where to stay in Split for budget travelers: Radunica
- Where to stay in Split for nightlife: Bacvice
- Where to stay in Split for families: Znjan
- Where to stay in Split for beaches: Bacvice
By the way, you can read more about the city in my detailed post about Top 10 Things To Do In Split, Croatia.
Now let’s find out everything you need to know about the top 5 areas to stay in Split, Croatia, together with my hand-picked hotel recommendations for each of them:
1. Old Town Split – Where to stay in Split for the first time
If you’re wondering where to stay in Split if you’re visiting for the very first time, the answer is simple: Split Old Town is definitely THE best area to stay for you!
This is known as the heart and soul of the city and the place where all the important attractions are located. By the way, the Old Town is also a UNESCO World Heritage site, did you know that?
The Old Town is located around the most famous landmark in the city – Diocletian’s Palace, and it’s a place full of interesting history and charm. Some other interesting cultural sights around that you should add to your itinerary include Riva Harbour, the Cathedral of St. Domnius and its Bell Tower, the Ethnographic Museum Split, and the City Museum of Split, among others.
Luxury (150€ and up)
- Hotel Luxe Split – Looking for a boutique hotel where to stay in Split? I got you! This is one of the best hotels in Split, Croatia and a beautiful accommodation for luxury travelers. The hotel is located very close to the beach, but also to Diocletian’s Palace and the ferry port.
- Hotel Marmont Split Heritage – This boutique hotel is probably the best place to stay in Split if you want to be located only one minute away from Diocletian’s Palace. The breakfast is delicious, the rooms are very clean and beautiful and you can even relax on the open-air terrace overlooking the Old Town’s rooftops! Definitely a superb Split hotel on the Dalmatian Coast!
Mid-range (60€ – 150€)
- Sleep Split – This is a very nice hotel option for anyone looking for the best hotels in Split within a mid-range budget and also located within walking distance to all the interesting sights around. This hotel is right in the heart of the Old Town and the gorgeous boutique suites they offer are very accessible.
- Divota Apartment Hotel – This one is the perfect choice in case you are searching for a beach hotel in Split located right in Split’s Old Town! This is one of the best hotels in Split with very good prices and all their studios and rooms are tidy and beautifully designed. Plus, the staff will be happy to help you every time!
Budget (up to 60€)
Split Old Town has a wide variety of cheap accommodations and hostels that are perfect for travelers on a tight budget. Just remember that it is always better to book in advance if you want to make sure you will stay in the best accommodation in Split.
- Ćiri Biri Bela Boutique Hostel – Wondering where to stay in Split if you’re on a very tight budget? No worries! This is one of those amazingly cheap hotels in Split, located only 5-minutes away from Diocletian’s Palace, so the best area to stay for the perfect vacation. This hostel even has a cozy terrace where you can relax and unwind!
- Hostel Simple – Located only 5 minutes away from the beach; it awaits with a cool on-site bar, free Wi-Fi and a wide variety of rooms. It’s surely one of the best places to stay if you want to be within walking distance to all the interesting attractions in town! You can choose from both private rooms and dormitories – whichever suits you best!
2. Veli Varos
If you want to be located in a charming, beautiful area in the city in order to experience the true local charm of Split, then Veli Varoš is for you!
Veli Varoš, located West of the Old Town, is full of cobblestone streets, stone walls, cozy cafes, amazing restaurants that serve traditional Croatian food and everything in-between! This is also one of the greatest places to book a room if you’re looking for apartments and small boutique hotels in Split!
I also recommend this area to people looking for places to stay a bit away from the hustle and bustle of the Old Town, but still very close to the heart of the city and Diocletian’s Palace as well! Plus, this area is full of restaurants, shops and interesting attractions such as Prva Vidilica, Marjan Park, the Archaeological Museum and more.
Luxury (110€ and up)
- Hotel Cvita – In case you’re wondering where to stay in Split, Croatia for the ultimate luxurious experience, this is among the best hotels in Split you can choose from! By the way, they also have an outdoor swimming pool, a fitness center and a spa & wellness center – what more can you wish for?
- Split Luxury Retreat – Here’s another wonderful place to stay if you’re looking for a luxurious stay in Split, close to the Old Town! Make sure to book your room here if you want to be right in the historic heart of Split and you’ll also enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi, private parking, air conditioning, and a delicious daily breakfast.
Mid-range (50€ – 110€)
- Luxury View Damida – If you’re looking for a great mid-range accommodation, this one is among the best hotels you can book for your vacation! It’s the perfect base for exploring the city. This awesome guest house features stylish rooms, air conditioning, free private parking and more. I recommend you start to browse the availability for your dates, as the demand for this place is high!
- Apartment Macho – Here’s another great Split hotel if you want a great value for the money! All rooms feature a nice decor, a flat-screen TV, a kitchen, a microwave and more. Plus, it’s the best place if you want to be a short walk away from the center. Definitely a great option for an unforgettable stay in Split!
Budget (up to 50€)
- Guesthouse Marin – If you’re looking for some very good Split hotels that have low rates, this one’s for you! All the rooms are beautiful and super clean and you’ll be surrounded by plenty of restaurants, cafes and bar options!
- Apartman Gruevski – Here’s another wonderful place to stay if you’re looking for beautiful rooms for a very good price! This apartment is located in the ancient heart of Veli Varos area and it has all the facilities you might need. During your days here you’ll get to enjoy air conditioning, a fully equipped kitchen, a beautiful terrace and even a shared lounge area!
3. Radunica – Where to stay in Split on a budget
Radunica is located very close to Split Old Town (a bit to the East from it) and it’s one of the best places to stay if you’re traveling to the city on a tight budget!
Radunica is full of beautiful streets, stone walls, unforgettable architecture and interesting attractions such as Radunica Street (the heart and soul of this neighbourhood), the Green Market, Tvrava Gripe, the Croatian Maritime Museum and more.
In terms of accommodation, Radunica is, as I said, a great place to find the best hotels in Split with low rates, as well as apartments and guest houses. No worries, even the places with low rates have some amazing facilities and amenities, as accommodation in Split is of a pretty high standard! There are also some awesome luxury hotels and suites as well, so you’ll find something for every taste.
Luxury (90€ and up)
- Marvie Hotel & Health – Here’s another one on my list of best hotels in Split, Croatia! I definitely recommend staying in this superb heritage hotel that’s located close to the Old Town and Diocletian’s Palace if you want to enjoy the ultimate luxurious experience! This hotel awaits with free Wi-Fi, a great location 600m to the beachside, and more.
- Ellure Luxury Suites – Make sure to book your room here if you want to enjoy a spoiled stay in Split close to the Old Town! By the way, this one has a spa as well. If you choose to make this new, beautiful condo hotel your base, you’ll be close to tons of bar and restaurant options, so you would never get bored around here!
Mid-range (50€ – 90€)
- Apartments Urban Chic – In case you’re looking for an awesome mid-range place for your stay in Split, less than 15 minutes from the Old Town and Diocletian’s Palace, this one’s for you! Make sure to check out the pictures, they’ll show you exactly what I mean! Ah, and the terrace is pretty much a perfect place to start your morning with a cup of coffee or some tea!
- Boban Luxury Suites – Book this hotel if you want to enjoy the best service for a very good fee per night! This is definitely among the best hotels in Split in the mid-range category and it’s also close to many restaurant and bar options – a great plus! Make sure to check out their superb pool as well!
Budget (up to 50€)
- Apartments Veky 3 – Are you looking for an amazing budget stay in Split where you can enjoy some superb rooms for some very low rates per night? Check out this place, you’ll love it! It’s located in a very good location, not far from the Old Town either and surrounded by countless restaurant and bar options.
- Villa Kate – Here’s another great hotel in Split that offers some unbeatable rates per night. It’s also a great choice if you want to save money for a day trip, maybe! Some of the best things about staying here include its proximity to the Old Town and Diocletian’s Palace, beautiful rooms with stone walls, air conditioning, free Wi-Fi and more!
4. Bacvice – Where to stay in Split for the beach
Bačvice Beach is the only beach in Split that has acquired a “blue flag” status and it’s also one of the best places to stay in the city if you want to enjoy the ultimate relaxation while soaking in the sun!
Bacvice neighborhood was created around Bacvice Beach, so if you want to be close to the golden sands, then you should find an accommodation here that suits your taste and budget. The area is located south-east from Split Old Town (15 mins walking), not far from it either – so you’ll basically get the best of both worlds. You’ll be close to the city center and you’ll also enjoy some beautiful beaches!
Bacvice is also a great place if you’re wondering where to stay in Split for nightlife because you’ll find tons of awesome beach bars and nightclubs around, perfect to dance the night away!
Luxury (80€ and up)
- Hotel Park Split – This is my recommendation for people interested in luxury, as it’s among the best 5-star hotels in Split, Croatia! The rooms at this hotel are simply gorgeous and very elegant. The staff is very friendly and the hotel even has a wellness center that you can use during your stay at Hotel Park. Plus, this is among the Split hotels located super close to plenty of bar options!
- Hotel Villa Harmony – Here’s another superb place to stay if you’re looking for a beautiful hotel with amazing rooms, surrounded by many beach bar options! This is actually a 4-star heritage hotel that will guarantee the perfect vacation on the beach!
Mid-range (50€ – 80€)
- Luxury Rooms and Apartment Silente Bacvice – Here’s an unmissable mid-range place to stay if you want to enjoy some superb, clean rooms with air conditioning and if you want to be surrounded by plenty of bar options and restaurants in Split. Make sure to book it for an unforgettable stay in Split! By the way, it’s only 2 minutes away from the beach area in Bacvice!
- Best Location Rooms – Are you looking for the perfect place located close to the beachfront in Bacvice but also to the Old Town and Diocletian’s Palace? Well, you just found it! This accommodation has many restaurant and bar options around and the rooms are super clean and nicely decorated – perfect if you want to save some money during your travel trip to Croatia!
Budget (up to 50€)
- Nomi Dream Box – If you want to be located in the best area in Split for the best sun-kissed vacation while also enjoying some superb rooms for some incredible prices, this is your place to stay! You’ll have all the needed facilities provided here and you’ll also be surrounded by plenty of bar options – a great plus!
- Dreams Apartment Bacvice – This awesome apartment in Split is situated close to the Old Town and Diocletian’s Palace, but also 3 minutes away from the beachfront – what more can you wish for? Let me also tell you about the beautiful, contemporary rooms, the helpful staff and all the restaurants and cafes nearby.
5. Znjan – Where to stay in Split for families
Žnjan is another great seaside area and my top recommendation for people traveling to Split with their family and kids!
Znjan is located right near Bacvice Beach and, even if the beaches here are just as wonderful, the vibe is a bit different. Znjan is perfect for people who are not looking for nightlife, but want a laid-back, calm atmosphere instead! What you’ll find here are kid-friendly playgrounds and parks, perfect for a family vacation!
In terms of distance, this neighborhood is not located within walking distance to the Old Town and Diocletian’s Palace – let’s say about 30 minutes by foot, but there are tons of transportation options around.
Luxury (100€ and up)
- Bel Etage Amora Luxury Seaview Apartment – In case you’re on the hunt for the most beautiful places to organize your trip to this town in Split, Croatia, you’re in luck! This awesome apartment might just be the right choice for you! This one is located right on the beachfront and they have a great swimming pool as well – totally a dream place!
- Luxury Apartments Klara – Here’s another excellent choice for all travelers looking for a spoiled experience right on the beachfront in Split! The rooms here are simply gorgeous and the luxurious bed and breakfast has all the facilities and amenities you might need – including a pool and a fully equipped kitchen!
Mid-range (50€ – 100€)
- City Beach Apartment – In case you didn’t find the ideal beachfront accommodation for your vacation in Split, Croatia, I have a great suggestion! This superb apartment is ideal for up to 4 people that want to enjoy everything that the city has to offer, all while enjoying a relaxed, warm atmosphere! This accommodation has a cute balcony with garden views – so nice!
- Apartments Cordis – Here’s another great place if you’re looking for a mid-range accommodation right on the beachfront in Split. This 4-star apartment awaits with a nice outdoor pool, clean rooms, BBQ facilities, free Wi-Fi and more!
Budget (up to 50€)
- Luxury Rooms Near the Beach – If you only have a small budget for your trip to Croatia, no worries, I got you! This 4-star guest house has some very good rates for Split and it awaits with clean and nicely decorated rooms, free private parking, air conditioning, and a cute and cozy seating area where you can relax. A perfect accommodation for a comfortable night’s sleep after a full day at the seaside!
- Apartments Znjan – Here’s another great budget accommodation located super close to the beachfront in Split! I definitely recommend it to all travelers that have a tight budget but still prefer to be very close to the beach.
BONUS 1: Where to stay in Split, Croatia – Best Apartments
If you’re the kind of traveler who prefers staying in an apartment rather than a hotel, you should know that Split awaits you with a HUGE variety of apartments for different budgets and preferences. As usual, make sure you book your apartment in Split as soon as you can, as the city is slowly but steadily becoming one of the top attractions in Croatia and the rooms are selling out fast.
Luxury (200€ and up)
- The Whitestone is my first recommendation for any luxury travelers and among the best apartments in Split, Croatia. Whitestone Apartment is ideal for a couple of two friends and it awaits you with an amazing pool, a cozy terrace with plenty of photo opportunities and daily breakfast.
- Old Split Apartment is another great option for anyone who wishes to feel like a queen or king during their stay in Split, Croatia. I recommend this apartment for two people looking to stay in Split in a chic and clean apartment that has a nice décor and is located right in the city center of Split.
Mid-range (80€ – 200€)
- Perla Apartmani Split is a spacious middle-priced accommodation in Split, very close to the beach. You can choose from different types of apartments. Each apartment has a nice living room and a fully equipped kitchen, so you can rest assured that you’ll have everything you need for your Split vacation!
- Apartments Dujam is a nice apartment right in the city center. This accommodation has been recently renovated and it has all the amenities you will need for the perfect stay in Split.
Budget (up to 80€)
- Room With Garden is a very nice and cozy apartment located in the Marjan district of Split. If you decide to book your room here, you will be close to Republic Square – Prokurative and to People’s Square.
- Apartman Lucita is only 1 minute away from the beach and it’s the perfect apartment for travelers who wish to have a relaxing vacation in this wonderful city. The apartment even has a nice terrace where you can enjoy your cup of coffee in the morning.
BONUS 2: Where to stay in Split, Croatia – Best Villas
If you are traveling to Split together with a group of friends, maybe a villa will be the best option for all of you. Don’t worry, Split has many great villas (villas are basically holiday homes, so the difference between them and apartments is that you’ll have the entire building to yourself) available for you, the only thing you need to do is to choose the one that fits your budget and preferences!
Luxury (200€ and up):
Amazing SeaView luxury villa is my choice for luxury travelers and of the best villas in Split, Croatia. This extremely gorgeous villa has 400 m² and can fit up to 10 people! This incredible villa has everything you need to feel spoiled in Split, 3 minutes away from the beach: 5 bedrooms, a barbecue, a cool outdoor pool, terrace, kitchen, free Wi-Fi and more! Plus, it’s not far from the Old Town and Diocletian’s Palace either!
Mid-range (100€ – 200€):
Holiday Home Aspalathos is the perfect choice for travelers looking for a great middle-priced villa in Split. This beautiful holiday home can fit from 2 to 4 people and is located very close to the beach. There are 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1 kitchen and a beautiful garden. This place offers a 3-star service for some pretty great rates, trust me!
Budget (up to 100€):
Holiday Home Riva Promenade – This holiday home in Split is perfect for a group of 3 to 5 people that are on a tight budget but still want to explore the best of Split, Croatia. This holiday home is only 6 minutes away from the beach and it awaits you with a fully equipped kitchen, a bathroom and a relaxing seating area. Plus, it’s not far from the Old Town and Diocletian’s Palace either!
This was my complete list of accommodation in Split, Croatia that includes the 5 best areas to stay in the city! From hotels to apartments and holiday homes, you can find anything you need in Split! All the accommodations I recommend were carefully chosen by me and have amazing reviews, modern facilities and they’re divided according to different budgets.
NOTE: Split is becoming a popular holiday destination, which means the rooms are selling out fast, so book yours as soon as you can!
In case you want to read more about Croatia (Split but not only), you can find all my articles about the country here.
I hope you will have some great Split holidays! If you have any questions, you can always tell me in the comments below, I’m happy to help!
I wish you a great time in Split, Croatia!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!