Formerly known as Kantipur or the “city of Glory”, Kathmandu is the capital city of Nepal and a must for every traveller visiting this breathtaking country. Whether it’s because it’s surrounded mountains at a height of 1.400m above sea level, or because Kathmandu used to be a lake where the lotus flower would grow by the thousands, or finally, it could be because the city has never been conquered by a foreign ruler!
Whatever your reason for visiting Kathmandu is, be it hiking in Nepal (if you haven’t yet, have a look at my post about Things to know before trekking in Nepal) or just visiting the city, there is a high chance that you’ll fall in love with it!
I don’t want this to be shadowed by a not-so-pleasant accommodation experience, this is why I have created a list of the top hotels in Kathmandu depending on your budget.
I have decided not to divide this list by neighborhoods as Kathmandu’s accommodation is pretty much all located in Thamel, a famous tourist destination. In fact, this neighborhood is pretty much where all visitors choose to stay for the convenience and higher standards than the hotels in the rest of the city.
Have in mind that planning ahead pays off, and even though the hotel industry in Kathmandu can seem big enough, places still sell out! So, booking your hotel in Kathmandu in advance is a great idea!
And without further ado, here is my list of the best hotels in Kathmandu…
If you’re in a hurry…
If you need to take a quick decision and book immediately, I got your back, check this quick list with the best hotels in central Kathmandu:
- Best luxury hotel: Kathmandu Marriott Hotel
- Best middle-priced hotel: Hotel Shambala
- Best budget hotel: Taleju Boutique Hotel
Best Hotels in Kathmandu
One of the first questions that you would ask yourself before heading to Nepal is: Where to stay in Kathmandu? I have carefully selected the best accommodation in this very simple yet effective Kathmandu hotel list, all of them with great reviews and categorized by price, from luxury to budget accommodation:
Whether you are looking for the cheapest hotels in Kathmandu or you are ready to splurge a little bit more, scroll down to see the ultimate list of Kathmandu hotels.
Luxury ($160 USD and up)
Kathmandu is a great place to scout for fancy hotels where you will be able to treat yourself Nepalese-style.
One of the reasons for this being that due to its unique scenery, Nepal (and specifically Kathmandu), is a hotspot for film productions – movies such as Dr. Strange or Everest have been shot here. Therefore, it’s a not-so-unlikely place to spot a celebrity, as these celebrities love staying in 5-star hotels in Kathmandu.
- Kathmandu Marriott Hotel – With exceptional reviews, breathtaking mountain views, a fitness centre and an infinity pool, this boutique hotel is a great option for your stay in Kathmandu and possibly the best 5-star hotel in Kathmandu. You’ll find outstanding service, clean and modern Asian design, and room service!
- Nepali Ghar Hotel – If you’d like to stay in the hotspot for travelers visiting Kathmandu but at the same time are not ready to give up on comfort and luxury, you should choose to stay at the Nepali Ghar boutique Hotel. Located in the Thamel neighborhood, its minimalistic but exuberant architecture will leave you speechless.
- Arushi Boutique Hotel – Set in the heart of the Thamel district, this is one of the best boutique hotels, perfect for those who don’t want to miss a thing in the city but like to get home to a spacious and luxurious room with room service. Here you’ll also have access to a great on site rooftop restaurant and a lovely rooftop terrace!
- Hotel Mulberry – For some, this one is considered one of the best luxury hotels in Kathmandu! Located in central Kathmandu, Hotel Mulberry will treat you like a king, with a beautiful outdoor swimming pool, a fitness centre, and spacious air conditioned rooms… you will love it!
Middle-priced (from $80 USD to $160 USD)
There is a wide variety of middle-priced hotels in Kathmandu, so picking and choosing can be a bit of a task.
During my stay in Kathmandu, I stayed at Traditional Comfort Boutique Hotel, it was lovely and had a great vibe to it, however, it was a bit far from the most famous landmarks.
Therefore, I have handpicked the best hotels for you to stay within your budget. Below, you will find a list with 4 of my favorite mid-range hotels, most of them have little to envy to those 5 star Kathmandu Hotels and you are about to see why:
- Hotel Shambala – People say a picture is worth a thousand words. Well, I assure you that the Hotel Shambala will have you making a booking right the second that you see a photo of its outdoor swimming pool. If you are a sucker for a good view or a good Instagram photo, Hotel Shambala is the place to be, many guests even assure that it is the best hotel in Kathmandu!
- Hotel Thamel – Just a walk away from the King’s Palace, Monkey Temple and Garden of Dreams, Hotel Thamel Kathmandu is a favorite for those who love getting lost in the city enjoying the cultural richness of Kathmandu, you will be able to enjoy all its amenities and friendly service. Foodies won’t be disappointed at the wide selection of street food available!
- Hotel Jampa – One of my personal favorites and probably one of the best 3-star hotels in Kathmandu, offering a great value for price! Here you’ll enjoy spacious and clean rooms with free wi fi, access to a delicious breakfast and even an airport shuttle service!
- Himalayan Ghar – If you love to receive a great service during you’re staying, this is definetely the place for you! The staff is lovely and super helpful, the family rooms are new and comfortable and the on site restaurant is great for any meal. This is also a great choice for families!
Budget (up to $80 USD)
If the budget for your trip to Nepal is a bit tight, don’t worry! There are so many perfectly good options that have little to envy to the most extravagant places, and it is really not a hard task to find a beautiful low-price hotel in Kathmandu. Just like in real life, many of these affordable stays are often the coziest ones.
Most of them make up for the lack of material luxury with the warmest hosts or a great atmosphere. This is the reason why they often get the best reviews!
Scroll down to find a short list of the best cheap hotels in Kathmandu:
- Laughing Buddha Home & Villa – This place will make you feel right at home and it is the closest thing to a hostel in Kathmandu. One of those unbelievable low-priced hotels in Kathmandu, the Laughing Buddha Home & Villa is perfect for all those nostalgic that need a homely feeling while abroad. I would recommend this option if you are a solo traveler as it is a great place to make friends!
- DOM Himalaya Hotel – One of the best hotels in Kathmandu Nepal for great value for the price! The hotel has a barbecue and sun terrace, a good in-house restaurant. Free private parking, and lovely rooms with en suite bathrooms.
- Hotel Blue Horizon – Have an incredible experience in this beautiful hotel, located in a peaceful Buddhist residential area! The property boasts a rooftop garden, private parking, room service, and even a library, where you can enjoy some quiet moments!
- Taleju Boutique Hotel – Enjoy all the advantages of a boutique hotel at very reasonable prices, offering a spa and health club, and sun terrace, an on-site bar and great restaurant… you will just love it! Also, free WiFi and free private parking is available on site!
|🏨 Mid Range:||$80|
|👑 Luxury price:||$160|
|💰 Accommodation prices:||Cheap|
|📍 Best Area:||Thamel|
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:||Kathmandu Marriott Hotel|
|💵 Mid-range hotel:||Hotel Shambala|
|👛 Best budget hotel:||Taleju Boutique Hotel|
Bonus: Best Hotels in Kathmandu near the airport
If you are going to Kathmandu, chances are that you are either landing in the country or leaving the country from this city. Being a hotspot for hikers and climbers alike, many travelers end up taking flights between local destinations, this is why choosing an accommodation close to the airport is important for many tourists heading to this destination!
Even though Kathmandu International Airport is just 5km away from the city center, it can be a pain to organize an airport transfer to and from your hotel or you might just be spending one night in the Nepalese capital city before heading to your trekking adventure, This is why I have created a list of hotels in Kathmandu near the airport.
Whether you want to splurge and treat yourself or you’d like a more affordable option, I’ve got you covered! Check out the list of hotels in Kathmandu near the airport below:
- The Dwarika’s Hotel – This is a perfect choice if you’re looking for a luxurious stay. Designed just like a palace of the Newar Kings, Dwarika’s boutique hotel preserves the rich cultural history of the Kathmandu Valley. With stunning traditional Nepalese décor and the most gorgeous high ceilings, this hotel feels like an oasis in the city. Make sure you try some traditional local cuisine in their highly rated rooftop restaurant.
- The Inn Patan – As my middle-priced recommendation, this boutique hotel is a great option if you’d like to be close to the airport but not give up on amenities or comfort. Decorated in traditional Nepalese style, even if you are staying in the city just for a night, you will get the perfect Kathmandu experience. If you get the chance, you can visit Swayambhunath Temple, it’s a Hindu temple at only 4 miles away!
- Swagat Homestay – If you’re traveling on a budget or even if you want to experience the real Kathmandu family lifestyle, you can choose to stay in Swagat Homestay. Homestays are a great way to experience a country’s culture and this homestay is no exception, located close enough to the airport, but not so close that the noise will be a problem. Swagat Homestay is the perfect place to get a home feeling amongst the flights and tight trekking schedules!
How to get to and from Tribhuvan International Airport
The Tribhuvan International Airport (KTM/VNKT) is located just 5km or a 20-30 drive away from the heart of Kathmandu. There are several transport options that you can choose from in order to get to the airport, such as airport transfers, taxis, and prepaid taxis. I have excluded local buses as there is no bus that takes you directly from Kathmandu’s city center to the airport.
Here are your options:
- Airport Transfers: most hotels in Kathmandu organize airport transfers. Once you book your accommodation, you can get in touch with them and organize your pick up or drop off. Bear in mind that sometimes it can be a bit pricier than just a normal taxi, but it’s worth asking because some hotels provide it for free!
- Prepaid taxis (around $7 to the city center): this is a great option for those a bit concerned with safety issues (not that there’s anything to worry about, Kathmandu is pretty safe!). The government has a service that offers prepaid taxis that take you to your destination at a fixed rate, although they’re a little bit more expensive than local taxis! Find the counter at the airport, past the information center.
- Taxis (from $3 to $5 to the city center): You will find them at the exit of the main building in the airport, feel free to haggle and agree on a rate before getting in the taxi, don’t be a rookie!
Frequently Asked Questions about Kathmandu
👪 Which are the best hotels in Kathmandu Nepal for families?
💑 Which are the best hotels in Kathmandu Nepal for couples?
✈️ Which are the best hotels in Kathmandu Nepal near the airport?
💰 Which are the best luxury hotels in Kathmandu Nepal?
The best luxury hotels in Kathmandu are the boutique hotel Nepali Ghar Hotel, the luxurious Nepali Ghar Hotel and Arushi Boutique Hotel.
You have reached the end of my list containing the best Kathmandu accommodation options! From Kathmandu luxury hotels to the best budget hotels in Kathmandu, I have picked the best of the best so you don’t have to do all the research.
So, if you were wondering which hotels are the best ones to stay at in Kathmandu or which hotels in Kathmandu have nice views, I have hopefully answered all these questions in this article! If not, here’s my two top accommodation options with great value for price and amazing reviews:
- Nepali Ghar Hotel – Located in the Thamel neighborhood, this boutique hotel will leave you speechless!
- Arushi Boutique Hotel – Amazing boutique hotel, with the perfect balance between luxury and comfort!
Nepal is a destination for travelers and climbers that plan things ahead. Usually, trekking in Nepal requires a bit of booking in advance and this is why it is important to stay ahead of the game. Furthermore, Nepal’s popularity keeps growing amongst tourists, making things harder for travelers that are a bit more spontaneous.
So, make sure you book your accommodation ahead of time and you will be able to choose your first choice!
I hope you have a great trip, and your Kathmandu accommodation will be one of your highlights! If you have any doubt at all or just would like to say hi, drop me a comment below and I’ll be happy to help you!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!