With its golden beaches, crystal clear waters, coral reefs, and world-class waves, the island of Siargao in the Philippines is a paradise for any kind of traveler, from couples to families and surfers!
But you really need to be careful when you choose which part of the island to stay in, because some of them don’t offer much for tourists. That’s why I decided to help you with this guide about the TOP areas where to stay in Siargao Island, including hotels for any kind of budget.
General Luna is definitely the best place in Siargao for first-timers (and surfers, hosting the famous Cloud 9 surf break), Catangan is great if you want to stay on a budget, and Malinao if you’re looking for a quiet area.
And if you are going on a family holiday, I also included a special bonus for you with the best family-friendly hotel options on the island.
But when you find the perfect hotel, hostel, or beach resort for you, make sure you book it immediately or at least some months in advance if you don’t wanna lose the spot!
Now, are you ready to explore all the best places to stay in Siargao with me?
If you are in a hurry
If you just want to book your accommodation quickly, check out the best places to stay in Siargao:
Here’s a map for you to visualize where all the top areas in Siargao are located:
1. General Luna – where to stay in Siargao for the first time
Located on the island’s southeastern shores, General Luna offers something for any kind of traveler and interest… that’s why it is the perfect place to stay in Siargao for first-timers!
Apart from countless restaurants serving each kind of cuisine (all delicious!), bars, cafes, and cheap accommodation options, this lively beach town also hosts the world-famous Cloud 9 wave, perfect for experienced surfers.
For this surf break, Siargao Island is known as the “Surfing Capital of the Philippines” (by the way, check out all the incredible islands where to stay in the Philippines for more), but if you are a surf addict like me you probably already know that!
And if you have just started surfing or you want to learn, no worries, in the area there is also the Jacking Horse surf break, with beginner-friendly, mellow waves, and countless surf schools you can take a class with.
But if you’re not a wave rider, there’s much more to do in General Luna, like joining boat tours to explore the nearby Guyam Island, Daku, and the Naked Islands during the day, and enjoy its crazy nightlife right after.
In fact, Siargao hosts many cool beach bars and clubs where you can enjoy a refreshing drink while watching a breathtaking sunset, enjoy live music, or dance the night away until late hours!
If you already see yourself staying in this area, check out the best hotels in General Luna here below, for different budgets:
Located just a few steps from General Luna Beach, this luxury accommodation offers all the comforts you might need from your holiday! In fact, here you can spend your day relaxing at the outdoor swimming pool or in the private beach area and end it by having a delicious dinner at the on-site restaurant. The property also gives you access to water sports facilities, a luggage storage space, free wifi, and free parking… What else do you need?
Other accommodation options in General Luna
This amazing beach resort in General Luna offers family rooms and access to a restaurant, free private parking, a bar, and a garden!
Check out this affordable guest house, where all the rooms come with a patio, a private bathroom, free wifi, and air conditioning!
This spacious home has one of the best locations in General Luna, within walking distance to cafes, restaurants and the top surfing spots
Things to do in General Luna
- Ride some amazing waves at Cloud 9 wave surf break!
- Go on this cool Island hopping tour!
- Eat the best seafood at Bravo Restaurant
- Go cliff-jumping, swimming, and snorkeling on the tour to Siargao Sugba Lagoon!
- Take a stroll on the Boardwalk for sunset, and enjoy the views
- Spend a leisurely day at General Luna Beach
- Learn how to surf with Kanaway Surf School!
2. Catangan – the best area to stay on a budget
Located only a 10-minute drive north of General Luna, the small community of Catangan is perfect if you want to access all the attractions of General Luna but at a cheaper price.
In fact, this area hosts many affordable accommodation options to stay on a budget, whether you’re looking for a cheap hostel, rental home, or beach resort, there’s the perfect place for you here… Especially if you are a backpacker!
But this doesn’t mean there’s nothing to do in the Catangnan Peninsula. Here you will have access to many watersports, from surfing (more suitable for beginners) to scuba diving, and snorkeling… get ready to see the most colorful and beautiful fishes!
And when you’re done exploring the underwater marine world, there are countless restaurants where you can try delicious traditional cuisine or have a cocktail, the perfect way to refill your energies.
If you want to splurge a little during your vacation in Siargao, this accommodation is the place for you! The spacious rooms here are just great, all complete with a wardrobe, a private bathroom, air conditioning, and some even a seating area… check them out! And the facilities of the property are great, you will have access to an on-site restaurant, an outdoor swimming pool, a cool bar, and a relaxing garden!
Other accommodation options in Catangan:
Check out this great 3-star resort offering a private beach area, room service and free WiFi, as well as spacious family rooms
If you want to save some money during your holiday, this cheap hostel is for you, offering entertainment and a shared kitchen
These cozy villas offer you a private and peaceful sanctuary, being surrounded by a tropical garden and located right on the beach!
Things to do in Catangan
- Try delicious Filipino food at Harana Surf Resort
- Refresh yourself with a healthy smoothie bowl at Shaka Cafe
- Learn how to ride some good waves at Ulap Siyam Surf School
- Watch the sunset with a cocktail in your hand at Barrel beach bar
- Gaze at the breathtaking views from Cloud 9 Surf Tower
- Take a stroll or go horse riding on the Jacking Horse Trail
3. Malinao – the most laid-back area to stay in Malinao
Located south of General Luna, the area around Malinao beach is the perfect place for travelers looking for a laid-back and quiet place. I would definitely recommend it to couples and families!
Malinao Beach is THE place if you want to enjoy some leisure time under the sun, here the sand is white and the water is crystal clear, hosting a rich marine life with (harmless) jellyfish, colorful tropical fish, and sea slugs (just be careful with starfish!).
Get ready to sunbathe, swim, snorkel and watch beautiful sunsets over Guyam and Dako Islands! And if you want to check out all the restaurants, bars, and clubs in General Luna, you’ll be only a short 10-minute drive from it, so you’ll have everything at your fingertips here.
Does this sound too tranquil for you? Then check out the best places to stay in Manila, the capital of the Philippines, which definitely offer a more vibrant atmosphere and pace of life!
Whether you’re looking for a luxurious or affordable resort, you will find it here… Check out all the best accommodation options I found in Malinao.
If you don’t want to think about anything but relaxing during your holiday, this beach resort in Malinao is for you! Here you can get full body massages at the wellness center, relax at the outdoor swimming pool or at the private beach area, and have delicious Filipino food at the on-site restaurant. And if this wasn’t enough, the property will also give you access to free private parking, room service, and free WiFi… What else can you ask for?
Other accommodation options in Malinao:
Located a few steps from Malinao Beach, these beach houses offer access to a garden, barbecue facilities, and air-conditioned rooms
Travelers looking for cheap accommodations will love these villas, with access to a shared equipped kitchen and dining area
Feel at home away from home in this beach house with a large terrace and the best views on the Pacific Ocean!
Things to do in Malinao
- Soak up some sun, relax and splash in Malinao Beach
- Have the most delicious local food at JT’s Manukan Grille Siargao
- Explore the rich marine life in Malinao waters: colorful tropical fish & sea slugs
- Watch the incredible sunsets over Guyam island
- Spend a quiet day far from the crowds at Doot Beach
- Take some souvenir pictures at Pungkay View
- Have a delicious snack at Lagkaw Beach Bar!
|👑 Luxury price:||$120|
|👀 Best tour in Siargao||Island hopping|
|🏖️ Best luxury hotel:||Siargao Island Villas|
|💵 Best mid-range hotel:||Happiness Beach Resort|
|👛 Best budget hotel:||DGs|
BONUS: Best hotels for families in Siargao
If you are going to Siargao with the whole family and you are looking for some good accommodations in the island where you can make everyone happy, I got you covered!
Here I gathered a quick list of the best family-friendly hotels in Siargao, offering spacious rooms, many activities to keep all the members of the family entertained and cool facilities for a comfy stay so you can enjoy the time with your beloved ones to the fullest.
Check them out with me, they are in descending price order from the most expensive one:
- Soultribe Beach Retreat – This amazing hotel in General Luna offers a delicious full English/Irish breakfast served every morning, free bikes to explore the surrounding area and many board games to play all together. And don’t forget to check out the spacious villas and family rooms, you will feel immediately at home!
- Suyog Life Siargao – Check out this lovely hotel offering spacious rooms with a patio, a quipped private bathroom, and stunning mountain views. The property offers a bicycle rental service and a car rental service, plus many activities: culture/biking/walking tours and movie nights, so you will never get bored!
- Gardenview Homestay Siargao – If you are going on a family holiday to Siargao but you want to stay on a budget, this hotel is for you! For very affordable prices, here you will sleep in amazing holiday homes with private bathrooms, a terrace and their own barbecue… so you can have delicious dinners with your beloved ones!
FAQs about hotels in Siargao Island
📍Which is the best area to stay in Siargao Island?
👪 Which are the best hotels in Siargao Island for families?
👀 What are the best things to do on Siargao Island?
The best things to do on Siargao Island include going on an island hopping tour to explore all the surrounding islands (Daku Island, Naked Island, and Guyam Island), surfing the world-famous cloud 9 wave, or exploring the marine life of the island’s clear waters.
💵 Which are the best places to stay in Siargao Island on a budget?
Travelers looking for places where to stay in Siargao on a budget should check out the Catangan area, offering very affordable accommodations like Las Palmas Villas or Ilakai Hostel, offering evening entertainment and access to a shared kitchen.
Well, here we are at the end of this useful guide on where to stay in Siargao! We saw the best areas for first-timers, budget travelers, and for a tranquil vacation, and I also included a bonus with some good family-friendly accommodation… so everyone will be satisfied!
For each of the areas mentioned in the blog, I also gave hotel options for any kind of budget, which one did you like the most? If you are still undecided, check out my 2 absolute favorites on the island, both located in the main area of General Luna:
- Siargao Island Villas – If you want to have a luxury stay, this hotel is for you, offering an outdoor swimming pool and a private beach area
- Happiness Beach Resort – This amazing beach resort in General Luna offers family rooms and access to a restaurant, free private parking, a bar, and a garden!
If you share my same taste in accommodation, make sure you book one of the 2 options mentioned above at least some months in advance so you secure yourself a spot!
I really hope you enjoyed my guide as much as I did writing it for you, and if you still have any questions or thoughts about the blog, please don’t hesitate to share them in the comments below, I am looking forward to reading them all!
Have a wonderful holiday!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!