We all know Costa Rica is an ultimate surfing destination for ocean enthusiasts, it doesn’t matter whether you’re on the Caribbean or Pacific Coast, you will find world-class waves for advanced surfers (like the Salsa Brava break) and many more gentle swells for beginners!
Since surfing is my favorite sport ever, Costa Rica beaches have always been on my surf bucket list… And I bet they are on yours too!
With 800 miles (1,290 km) of coastline in Central America, Costa Rica has so many hotels in front of the best surfing spots that you won’t know where to start! Well, you don’t need to worry about figuring it out yourself… because I have already done it for you!
I did a tonne of research amongst all the best booking websites and found a collection of the best Costa Rica surf hotels, hostels, and best surf resorts for you. I’ve even included a bonus with some amazing surf camps for the ultimate surf retreat!
NOTE: The prices you will see in the post are from the high (dry) season in winter, which is when the good swells come (and so do the crowds), so they are more expensive than during summer. If you are visiting in the low season (summer), the prices can be up to $100 less for the same rooms.
If you are in a hurry
If you don’t have time to read the whole post and you need to book right now, here’s a quick list of the best surf resorts and hotels in Costa Rica divided by price range:
- Kalon Surf – Best surf resort
- Witch’s Rock Surf Camp – Best surf camp
- Blue Surf Sanctuary – Best value for money
- Selina Jaco – Cheapest surf hotel
Here’s a map for you to see where all the best surf resorts and hotels in Costa Rica are located exactly:
Luxury (US$360 and up)
- Surf Synergy Surf Camp – Surf Synergy Surf Camp is one of the best luxury hotels in Costa Rica, located 10 minutes driving from Jaco surf beach, on the pacific ocean. Here you will have access to great activities like daily surf lessons, yoga classes, horseback riding, and amazing facilities! Some examples? An on-site restaurant serving delicious food, an outdoor swimming pool, and private rooms with an ensuite bathroom… What else can you ask for?
- Hotel Nantipa – A Tico Beach Experience – Are you ready to surf all day and return to your luxury accommodation right after? Then check out this five-star surf hotel, located just steps away from Santa Teresa beach, one of the best surf spots for both first-timers and experienced surfers! Choose from one of the amazing rooms that boasts its own private pool, join the yoga classes, and make good use of the full-service spa and wellness center. This is definitely one of Costa Rica’s best surf resorts!
- Cala Luna Boutique Hotel & Villas – Check out this amazing surf resort just 5 minutes walk from some of the best surfing beaches: Langosta Beach and Tamarindo Beach. Set in tropical gardens, this surf hotel offers spacious rooms and villas with a private pool, free Wi-Fi, and even a private beach area! Whether you want to get some spa treatments after surfing or join trips and activities like quad biking, fishing, jungle boat safaris, and horse riding, here you’ll find what you are looking for!
Mid Range (US$150 – US$300)
- Blue Surf Sanctuary – This amazing surf hotel is nestled on the Nicoya Peninsula (Pacific Coast) between the remote villages of Playa Manzanillo and Santa Teresa town, and is literally a 2-minute walk from Santa Teresa beach. Here guests relax and disconnect in a peaceful setting surrounded by jungle, take surf lessons with the property’s surf school, and sleep in charming bungalows overlooking their private swimming pool! There’s also a bar right by the hotel, where you can spend a fun night with other travelers you’ll meet.
- The Sunset Shack – If you stay at this surf hotel (formerly a surf camp) with a great location a few steps from Playa Guiones’ main break, you will spend allllll day catching waves! After surfing, the hotel’s guests can relax at the outdoor swimming pool, have delicious meals at the on-site restaurant and get some good sleep in their private rooms. But one of the best things you can do is enjoy the warm, majestic sunsets that illuminate the Pacific Coast with a cold beer at the bar!
- The Coast Beachfront Hotel – Do you want to be within walking distance of some of the best surfing beaches on the Pacific Coast (Tamarindo and Langosta beach) while having access to great facilities at the same time? Then check out this surf hotel, providing guests with free optic fiber WiFi throughout the property (digital nomads will be happy to hear this!), a big swimming pool, round trip airport transfers, lounge chairs, beach chairs, and boogie boards! After check-in, you’ll never want to leave!
- Lucero – This b&b is located within walking distance from Santa Teresa Beach, on the Pacific Coast, so you can go surfing (or relaxing on the white sand beach) at any time of the day! Here you will start your day full of energy with a delicious buffet breakfast and spend your days catching waves, chilling at the pool, or joining cool activities in the surroundings like horseback riding, paddle boarding, and yoga classes which are available at the property.
Budget (up to US$110)
- Zulu Surf Hotel Tamarindo – Located right in front of Tamarindo beach and just a 15-minute walk from Langosta Beach, in this Costa Rica hotel, you don’t have any excuse to not go surfing some waves! Guests also love the spacious rooms with a private bathroom and air conditioning; some even come with a kitchen and dining table! And if you want to take a break from surfing, the cultural gem of Puerto Viejo is only one hour away! PS: If you love this area, check out the other amazing resorts in Tamarindo!
- Room2Board Hostel and Surf School – Are you looking for Costa Rica’s best hotels for the ultimate surf trip on a budget? Then check out this cool hostel and Surf School, located in Jacó, only a 3-minute walk from the beach. Here guests enjoy a social, young, and hostel atmosphere: you can meet new surfers daily, have a drink at the bar, or just chill at the rooftop terrace with hammocks. You can either sleep in private rooms or dormitories, and they both include bed linen and a fan, plus air conditioning for an extra cost.
- Playa Grande Surf Camp – Playa Grande Surf Camp is located literally steps from Playa Grande beach… What better place is there to take some surfing lessons? But surfing is not the only thing you can do here: you can enjoy horseback riding, fishing, and hiking in the close surroundings or meet new people at the outdoor pool. Guests’ rooms all come with air conditioning, fans, and either a private or shared bathroom with a shower… It’s up to you to choose!
- Selina Jaco – Located in Jacó, a 2-minute walk from Jaco surf beach, this surf hostel boasts many facilities for guests, like a year-round outdoor pool, an on-site restaurant, and a shared kitchen. This surf resort is perfect for those who want to surf, horseback ride, but also experience other parts of Costa Rica, like the beautiful town of San Jose, the capital of Costa Rica! This is the right place to meet surfers like you, either at the on-site bar or taking yoga classes.
|👑 Luxury price:
|💵 Mid Range:
|💰 Accommodation prices:
|📅 How many days:
|🌅 Top sunsets view:
|The Sunset Shack
|🏄♀️ Best surf camp:
|Witch’s Rock Surf Camp
|🌊 Advanced beach:
|Salsa Brava or Puerto Viejo
|👶 Beginner waves:
|Playa Santa Teresa
|☀️ Best time to go:
|December – April
|🧘 Best hotel for yoga:
|Surf Bikini Retreat
|🌆 Best surf town:
|🏖️ Best surf resort:
|👛 Cheapest surf hotel:
BONUS: Top surf camps in Costa Rica
If you are looking for a place where you can dedicate yourself completely to learn (or improv) how to surf, you’ll be happy to know that the country of Costa Rica offers countless surf camps!
A surf camp usually offers all-inclusive packages that include daily surf lessons, yoga classes, meals, and many cool activities during which you can meet other travelers and aspiring surfers like you.
Sounds amazing, right? That’s why I decided to give you this bonus with the best surf camps I could find in Costa Rica (maybe you will find me in one of these!).
Whether you want to surf every day under the supervision of an expert surf instructor, join a yoga and surf retreat with only women, or stay in one of the best surf resorts in Costa Rica, here below you will find the perfect stay for yours!
- Kalon Surf – The Luxury Surf Resort – This amazing surf resort is located in the middle of the green jungle, in the Osa Peninsula, at only a 15-minute drive from the best surfing spots in Costa Rica (they will bring you there, no need to organize a car rental). You can book 1 week of all-inclusive stays, including surf coaching, yoga, pilates and massages, and gourmet meals, and decide if to join also extra activities from fishing, horseback riding, and waterfall viewing to zip lining and canopy tours! All this for around $4,000 per person.
- Surf Bikini Retreat – Are you ready to ride some waves with adventurous women like you? This surf resort, located in the beautiful setting of Nosara, offers an immersive 7-day experience with personalized surf coaching daily, yoga classes, and delicious organic meals prepared by talented local chefs. Whether you are a beginner, intermediate or advanced surfer, you will find the program for you and contribute to building a community of women surfing! This retreat has great deals if you come with your friends with prices from just $2,250 per person!
- Shaka Costa Rica – Get ready for the surf trip of your life in this surf camp in the heart of Playa Hermosa, one of the most beautiful beaches in Costa Rica! Here they will give you daily and personalized lessons based on your experience, spacious rooms with air conditioning, wifi, and private bathroom, and yoga classes nestled in the tropical surroundings of the jungle… sounds like a dream, doesn’t it? Prices start from $1,800 for singles.
- Witch’s Rock Surf Camp – This surf camp is located in Tamarindo, a Costa Rican surf town surrounded by many types of surf breaks. The property offers many different packages: for beginners, intermediate and advanced surfers, solo travelers, and even families with different surfing abilities that want to learn this amazing sport together! Regardless of which package you choose, you’ll have airport transportation to and from Liberia Airport (LIR), 7 nights at the beachfront hotel, unlimited surfboard rentals, surf lessons, and more included… check out this one if you’re on a budget, packages start from just $900 per person!
FAQs about Costa Rica surf hotels
🏄♀️ Which are the best surf camps in Costa Rica?
🏖️ Which are the best surf hotels in Costa Rica?
🌊 Which are the best surf spots in Costa Rica?
The Costa Rican coast offers countless surf spots, so it depends on your experience. Puerto Viejo and Salsa brava are good for advanced surfers, while Santa Teresa Beach, Jaco, and Playa Carmen are perfect for beginners, offering more mellow waves.
🌴 Which are the best things to do in Costa Rica?
The best things to do in Costa Rica, apart from surfing, are visiting the charming town of Puerto Viejo, enjoying the night in the capital San Jose, practicing yoga, and exploring the stunning nature of the Osa Peninsula.
So… who’s ready to catch some waves? I am! And if you arrived at the end of this article, I bet you are too!
We have just seen the best surf hotels, surf resorts, and surf camps on the Costa Rican coast, perfect for beginners who want to learn this amazing sport or advanced surfers looking for accommodation for their surf adventure!
If you are still undecided about which surf accommodation is the best for your travel and budget needs, here are my 2 favorite surf hotels:
- Hotel Nantipa – A Tico Beach Experience – one of the best luxury hotels in Costa Rica, located close to Santa Teresa beach and Playa Carmen
- Blue Surf Sanctuary – This amazing surf hotel is nestled on the Nicoya Peninsula and is literally 2 minutes walking from Santa Teresa beach.
Make sure you book them as soon as you can… surf hotels get booked super fast, especially in the peak season (December – April) and I wouldn’t want you to miss out!
I hope you enjoyed reading this guide and that it will help you find the perfect accommodation for your surf retreat. And if you have any questions for me, please share them in the comments below. I will answer you as soon as I can!
Have an amazing time!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!