Oh Scotland! Your cities and highlands already won our hearts, but it’s also your hotels that make us come back! If you’re planning your first trip (or yet another one) to charming Edinburgh, the capital city, and looking for a unique place to stay, follow me!
I’m about to dive into a list of the best boutique hotels in Edinburgh! I’ve carefully curated this list and added each place from most to least expensive so you can choose wisely.
But once you’re done with the main section, don’t run off just yet, especially if you’re traveling with your partner. I’ve also added a bonus with the top 3 romantic hotels in Edinburgh for couples!
See, I came prepared for every taste and preference. All you have to do now is remember to book your accommodation early. Oh yes, this capital city is super popular, and many tourists start their Scottish adventures here so places sell out fast.
Now it’s time to go because we’ve got many places to see!
If you are in a hurry
I know not everyone has the time or patience to go through the whole post, so if you want to quickly see the best of the best boutique hotels in Edinburgh, check out the list below:
Altido Rock House
Best luxury hotel
An Airbnb with amazing reviews
Kimpton – Charlotte Square
Best value for money
Market Street Hotel
Best affordable accommodation
Location is always a big factor when booking a hotel. To help you visualize all the hotels that I’ll talk about in the post I’ve made this map, so have a look below:
Luxury (£300 and up)
- Altido Rock House – This beautiful historic home in Edinburgh’s City Center has such cool decor! Colorful wallpaper, stylish bedrooms, and even a fireplace! You’ll feel just as if you live in a Scottish home, and you’ll even have a fabulous kitchen where you can make tea or store your whiskey! After a day of exploring around, take that bottle of whiskey out, make the fire and borrow one of the old books from the house!
- Prestonfield House – Perfect for anyone who’s looking for a more tranquil getaway in one of the best places to stay in Edinburgh, this boutique hotel looks like it was taken out of the movie set for The Crown. The stylish rooms are decorated with antique furniture and different flower motifs, plus they have a fully-stocked mini-bar and luxurious bathrooms. But to top it all off, guests will also have access to the fine-dining restaurant, a golf course, and spa services!
- The Balmoral Hotel – Named after the famous Balmoral Castle (the Scottish residence of the Royal Family), this historic hotel in the Old Town features views of Edinburgh Castle! All guest rooms are beautifully decorated and have luxury toiletries for you to use. Plus during your stay, you can eat sophisticated dishes, enjoy some spa treatments or swim in the indoor pool! As you can see, hotels in Edinburgh sure are wonderful, and yes, they sell out fast, so book yours in advance to avoid losing your favorite!
- The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection – Looking for something a bit more modern? While most places in Glasgow are known as Scotland’s contemporary side, Edinburgh also has its fair share of these sites. While this super unique boutique hotel in New Town has the facade of a 172-year-old church, combined with large glass windows and a fabulous roof terrace overlooking Calton Hill, the inside is super modern! Start your morning with a coffee on your private balcony or roof garden, and breakfast at their Brasserie!
- Tigerlily – Do we have any travelers visiting Edinburgh who want to party for a night or two? Then I’d recommend booking a room at this award-winning boutique hotel with a nightclub and a bar! Set within walking distance of the train station, the hotel offers free wifi and a restaurant. After a night of too much Scottish whiskey and dancing, start your day with some room service (I hear the food is yummy as it’s made with locally sourced ingredients, yum)!
Mid Range (£150 – £250)
- Kimpton – Charlotte Square – Elegance at its finest! You’ll love this Edinburgh hotel near George Street in New Town! Each luxury room offers a complimentary treat box, flat-screen tvs, and of course, incredible decor! If you’re into soft colors and simple-fine cut lines I’m sure you’ll like it. Enjoy your breakfast in the courtyard, and then head to the spa for a massage and a swim in the indoor pool.
- Hotel Du Vin Edinburgh – This beautiful Old Town hotel is set in a former city asylum! Featuring rooms with dark aesthetics, stone walls, and special furniture, the accommodation offers all guests an unforgettable time. Enjoy some delicious al fresco dining and whiskey in the French-style dining room at Hotel du Vin, and continue the evening in the mezzanine bar where you can try different types of wines from all around the world and some luxury cigars as well!
- 21212 – If you like French food, then you’ll love the hotel’s restaurant that serves a la carte dishes in its two private dining rooms! The accommodation, which is located on Royal Terrace street in a Georgian townhouse, has a simple decor, but its wallpapers and wall paintings are incredible! Each room has a private bathroom, comfortable beds and a seating area.
- The Scotsman Hotel – Fancy staying in a building that was once the home of the famous paper, the Scotsman? Originally built in 1905, the hotel is set in Edinburgh City Center just a short walk away from Royal Mile and Princes Street. The stylish rooms have stone walls, curved corner window bays overlooking the Edinburgh cityscape, and marble bathrooms. And the cherry on top is the cinema! Yep, you read that well, guests of the boutique hotel will have access to that!
- Black Ivy – You can’t go wrong with the Black Ivy! Although it’s set a bit further away from Edinburgh’s famous Royal Mile street, this accommodation can’t be missed! Each room has large windows overlooking the park and colorful beds. The fashionable interiors also include a large Drafthouse bar and Conservatory Dining Room, where guests can enjoy a few drinks and, sometimes, even live performances!
Budget (up to £130)
- Market Street Hotel – Looking for something affordable but still super fabulous? Then I recommend this boutique hotel set near the Royal Mile that features rooms with locally made fabrics, locally curated artwork, and a locally roasted coffee blend alongside design furniture! Pretty cool, right? Enjoy your coffee in the suite or head out to the rooftop lounge to enjoy a wee bit of sun and that fresh morning air!
- House of Gods Royal Mile – Is it just me or do these rooms look like a vampire’s home or to a character in a tv series set in the 1900s? They are super cool and if you like dark-red aesthetics, then check this Old Town hotel. The accommodation has 4 poster beds, leather-covered chairs, and marble bathrooms. They also organize live music performances and pub crawls, so if you’re in the mood to party, you know where to go!
- The Rutland Hotel & Apartments – Located in Edinburgh’s West end near the Edinburgh International Conference Centre, this accommodation offers self-catering apartments and rooms with castle views. Great for people who want to cook their own meal or just eat at the restaurant on-site, this place has trendy decor with large pictures on the walls! Make sure to end a day of visiting the city with a drink at the cocktail bar!
- Motel One Edinburgh-Royal – Who doesn’t love a good old tartan decor? This hotel combines its modern furniture with the traditional Scottish one so beautifully. You’ll notice that in the rooms and also in the lounge areas. Motel One Edinburgh-Royal offers a buffet breakfast and rooms with large windows (some even have views of the castle)!
- B+B Edinburgh – A lovely boutique bed and breakfast set just a 20 min drive away from Edinburgh Airport with a historically listed façade and a charming old staircase! The lounge area is beautiful, and it even has a fireplace where you can relax after a yummy (free) breakfast!
|👑 Luxury price:||£300|
|🏨 Mid Range:||£200|
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:||Altido Rock House|
|🧳 Best mid-range hotel:||Kimpton – Charlotte Square|
|👛 Best budget hotel:||Market Street Hotel|
|💑Top romantic hotel:||The Witchery by the Castle|
BONUS: 3 romantic hotels for couples
Planning a romantic getaway to beautiful Scotland? Well, if you’ve watched Outlander, the show must have convinced you to come here (if you haven’t, then give it a go, you might really like it)!
Although most hotels in Edinburgh feature that romantic, old-style decor, I thought I’d pick the 3 best options for couples that are ever more romantic. They are listed from most to least expensive with prices from £150.
- The Witchery by the Castle – Spend your romantic holiday in Edinburgh at this amazing hotel that has vintage suites with gothic touches, 4 poster beds, and different motifs. You’ll feel like a lord and a lady from the 1800s during your stay here! Plus, many important people have stayed here and once you see the silver baths and unique elements, you’ll understand why. Enjoy a romantic breakfast in the morning and then head out to explore the city!
- Virgin Hotels Edinburgh – If you’re more of a modern type of couple who prefers contemporary designs and new furniture, then I’d recommend this place for your trip. It offers super spacious rooms where you can enjoy all the privacy that you need and is close enough to the historic Royal Mile Street. There is a fitness center and 3 restaurants on-site where you can enjoy your romantic dinners, and I suggest starting with the Commons Club Restaurant, it looks amazing!
- The Dunstane Houses – Set over 2 Victorian townhouses (Dunstane and Hampton House), this 5-star boutique hotel was built in 1852 and it still has some of the original features including the open fireplaces. Perfect for a couple who wants to dive into Scottish culture (and drink lots of whiskey together, as they offer tastings here) at The Ba’ Bar & Lounge, this hotel is surely a keeper! Start your day with some of the seasonal Scottish produce at breakfast and later switch to whiskey!
FAQs about boutique hotels in Edinburgh
🏰 Which is the best boutique hotel in Edinburgh near Edinburgh Castle?
The Balmoral Hotel is one of the best boutique hotels in Edinburgh near the castle. Named after another famous castle in Scotland, the accommodation offers amazing facilities, including an indoor pool.
💑 Which boutique hotels in Edinburgh are romantic?
The Witchery by the Castle and The Dunstane Houses are some of the best boutique hotels in Edinburgh for romantic getaways. The historic accommodation is super unique and offers all the privacy you need, delicious food, and whiskey!
🅿️ Which are the best hotels in Edinburgh with parking spots?
Prestonfield House and The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection both offer parking spaces, and they’re also located in the city center!
👪 Which are the best places to stay in Edinburgh with the family?
One of the best places to stay in Edinburgh with the family is the Stockbridge area. You’ll find many family-friendly hotels here like The Raeburn.
Are these the most stylish boutique hotels you’ve seen or what? I think they are, but I want to hear your opinion as well, so just pop a comment below if you want to share with us.
Now we’ve been through the best boutique hotels in Edinburgh listed from most to least expensive, plus a bonus section with 3 awesome hotels for couples.
You probably know how things work, but if you don’t I want to remind you that the earlier you book your hotels the less you’ll pay! Plus you’ll have a wider range of option, so make sure to grab your spot ASAP.
Speaking of many options. I might have overdone it and added too many boutique hotels for some of you. So if you’re feeling a bit overwhelmed by all this, just check out my 2 favorite places below:
- Altido Rock House – This super stylish house has unique wallpapers, a fireplace and lots of space, right in the middle of Edinburgh’s city center
- Kimpton – Charlotte Square – Set in a fantastic building, this place comes with a scenic courtyard, an indoor pool and a spa center
Feeling a bit better now? I know these 2 last options always give a bit more clarity. Still if you have any questions about hotels in Edinburgh, just leave me a comment below and I’ll gladly help you!
Enjoy your trip in this historic city, it’ll be a memorable one!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!