Prague is the capital and an amazing city in the Czech Republic that offers so much, from classic architecture buildings and delicious street food, to curious and old myths about the history of the city! If you are planning a trip to the city, you might be wondering where to stay in Prague – and I’m here to help!
Most of Prague highlights are in the city center, which is the area I recommend you to stay in. But there are many other cool places where you can stay in the city! In order to help you with that, I have selected the 7 best areas to stay in Prague, together with the best hotels in each of them.
PRO TIP: Because Prague is a very popular tourist destination, good hotels and apartments are always getting sold out fast, so, as usual, I recommend you book your stay as soon as possible!
Below you can find my favorite options for you to stay, categorized by price range, all with great facilities and reviews. Are you ready? Let’s go!
- If you’re in a hurry…
- 1. Old Town (Stare Mesto) – Where to stay in Prague for the first time
- 2. New Town (Nove Mesto) – Where to stay in Prague for luxury
- 3. Lesser Town (Mala Strana) – Where to stay in Prague with a family
- 4. Castle District (Hradcany)
- 5. Vinohrady
- 6. Zizkov – Where to stay in Prague for nightlife
- 7. Karlin – Where to stay in Prague on a budget
- Best apartments in Prague
- BONUS 1: Best hotels for families in Prague
- BONUS 2: Best hotels near Prague airport
If you’re in a hurry…
The best area to stay in Prague for first-time visitors is the Old Town Prague. This is where all the important attractions and landmarks are located, so you’ll always be in the center of the action if you stay here. Plus, it’s the best place to stay in Prague if you want to explore the city by foot while also being well-connected to the rest of the city via public transportation!
Best hotels in Prague, Czech Republic in a nutshell
Which area should you choose?
First of all, here is a map of all 7 Prague neighborhoods I’ll be talking about in the article below, so you can better visualize all of them:
Even though Prague is not a big city (it has 1.3 million residents), it is still divided into different districts and neighborhoods, all of them with its own unique charm, advantages and disadvantages. If you are wondering which neighborhood is the best one to stay in Prague, I can assure you that Prague 1 district represents most of the city center and the place where all the main attractions are. Inside this district the main areas to stay are Malá Strana and Nové Město, each on a different side of the river. Unlike Vienna, for example, Prague’s district distribution does not follow a clockwise design, but the city is divided into 10 districts to make the use of public transportation easier.
Below you can find my personalized recommendations for the best areas to stay in Prague depending on your itinerary and travel preferences:
- Best area for luxury: New Town (Nove Mesto)
- Best area for budget travelers: Karlin
- Best area for nightlife: Zizkov or Old Town (Stare Mesto)
- Best area for families: Mala Strana
Okay, now that you understand how the city is organized a bit better, let’s find out everything you need to know about the best 7 areas to stay in Prague, together with my hand-picked hotel recommendations in each of them:
1. Old Town (Stare Mesto) – Where to stay in Prague for the first time
Are you traveling to Prague for the first time? Then the best place to book your hotel has to be the Old Town if you want to be close to all the most important and popular attractions in the city!
This area is full of important historical attractions, as well as plenty of restaurants and bars, all scattered around the beautiful streets, so it’s pretty much impossible to get bored while you’re in this area!
Old Town Prague, also called Staré Město is Czech, is the heart and soul of Prague and some of the most important highlights around are the Astronomical Clock (which is more than 600 years old and it’s probably the most important landmark in the entire Czech Republic as well!) in the Old Town Square, the Old Town Hall building, the Jewish Quarter, the Royal Route and more. Plus, you’ll be within walking distance (less than 10 minutes) to the banks of Vltava River and Charles Bridge as well.
You can also find plenty of different shops around in case you’re in the mood to spend some money or buy souvenirs, as well as museums and galleries as well. But because it’s the most popular neighborhood in the city and all tourists want to stay here, you can expect the prices in the Old Town Prague to be a tad higher than in the rest of my recommendations below.
That being said, here are the best hotels in Prague city center, all sorted by price:
Luxury (160€ and up)
- Grand Hotel Bohemia – This is one of the best 5-star hotels in Prague, Czech Republic if you want a luxurious stay! It offers free Wi-Fi, satellite TV, modern furniture, and bathtubs in all bathrooms, all found in each of the spacious rooms.
- Four Seasons Prague – If you were looking for a gorgeous luxury boutique hotel in Prague, this is your choice! Among their amenities, there is a spa that overlooks Prague Castle, a fitness room, a swimming pool, and even airline reservation and translation services.
Middle-priced (60€ – 160€)
- MOODs Charles Bridge – This is a 4-star boutique hotel in the Old Town, perfect for those wondering where to stay in Prague for a great value! Set a 6-minute walk from the Astronomical Clock, it offers the guests free Wi-Fi, a small gym, and you can make reservations for a massage as well!
- Hotel Leonardo Prague – This is another boutique hotel located in a quiet location in the Old Town, very close to Charles Bridge and the Jewish Quarter and has all the elegant rooms and suites furnished with antique pieces from Prague’s Art Nouveau heritage. All rooms are allergy-free and they come with free Wi-Fi, air-conditioning, a safety deposit box, and more.
Budget (up to 70€)
- Old Prague Hotel – Wondering where to stay in Prague center on a budget? This hotel is located in an 1895 building with all decorations kept in-sync with the historic site but still modern and comfortable! All the rooms have a private bathroom, free Wi-Fi, and they come with a courtyard or street view.
- Hostel Kaiser – This is a great option of cheap hotels in Prague that offers a nice and comfy shared lounge where you can sit and relax. It is a modern hotel in terms of appliances, décor, and furniture while being very comfortable and with a great price! Each room includes free Wi-Fi, air-conditioning and more.
2. New Town (Nove Mesto) – Where to stay in Prague for luxury
Right next to the Old Town, you’ll find the New Town, called Nové Město in Czech. This neighborhood has an excellent, central location.
Even though it’s called “New Town”, the area is not new at all – it was established in 1348, so it’s almost 700 years old!
The New Town is where you’ll find the Dancing House (also called Fred and Ginger), probably the most interesting buildings in the city thanks to its unique architectural style. Wenceslas Square is also located in this neighborhood, as well as the National Museum, the National Theatre, Franz Kafka Museum, the Museum of Communism and more.
I definitely recommend the New Town to anyone that wants a central location but they don’t want to stay in the hustle and bustle of the Old Town Prague. Another great advantage about this area is that you’ll be super close to Prague main train station, so it’s a great place for people who want to do day trips. By the way, if you need some inspiration about Prague (and 3 awesome day trips recommendations as well), I recommend checking out my article about the Best 13 Things to Do in Prague!
If you feel like this is the right place for you, here are the best hotels I have chosen for you in the New Town in Prague:
Luxury (100€ and up)
- Hotel Kings Court – If you’re looking for a great luxurious place where to stay in Prague to enjoy some luxury, this one’s for you! This superb 5-star hotel is located very close to Wenceslas Square and it awaits with a small pool, a Finnish sauna and many other cool perks!
- MOOo Downtown – Are you looking for the best hotel in Prague New Town, close to Wenceslas Square? Then this 4-star hotel is definitely for you! The rooms here are spacious and very nicely decorated and some other cool advantages of staying here include free Wi-Fi, daily housekeeping and more.
Middle-priced (40€ – 100€)
- Motel One Prague-Florentinum – If you’re looking for a great value, this awesome place located in the New Town, super close to the Dancing House, National Museum, Franz Kafka Museum is your choice! Some of the best facilities here include a nice lounge bar, a delicious breakfast served each morning and more. By the way, staying here means you’ll also be close to Old Town Square and Wenceslas Square as well
- Boat Hotel Matylda – Do you want to stay in Prague New Town (Nové Město), super close to Wenceslas Square and enjoy a top value for the money you’ll be paying? Then you should check out this place! It’s a super nice 4-star hotel that has everything you might need!
Budget (up to 40€)
- Cosmopole Hostel – Wondering where to stay in Prague center, exactly in the New Town, on a budget? You should check out this awesome place! This cute and cozy hostel is located very close to Wenceslas Square and it awaits with a 24-hour front desk, a lounge room, yummy breakfast and everything else in-between.
- Sleep&Go – Here’s another awesome option for a very good budget stay in Prague New Town, close to Old Town Square and Wenceslas Square as well! This colorful and friendly hostel has a nice terrace where you can relax and unwind!
3. Lesser Town (Mala Strana) – Where to stay in Prague with a family
Malá Strana, also known as the Lesser Town or the Little Quarter is on the other part of Vltava River from the Old Town after you cross Charles Bridge. It’s basically located between Stare Mesto and Castle District (Hradcany).
Mala Strana is a great central neighborhood located very close to all the important sights in the city and it’s also my top recommendation for people who are traveling with their family in the city, looking for a quieter atmosphere.
A great thing about Mala Strana is that it’s located super close to Prague Castle, a top highlight of the city and the biggest castle complex ever. A great neighborhood for culture lovers for sure!
While you’re around Mala Strana, you can take a stroll on the beautiful cobbled streets and admire the charming buildings, pay a visit to the John Lennon Wall, relax in Malostranské Square or enjoy a Czech beer in one of the coolest pubs around.
Convinced? Here are the best hotels in Mala Strana, Prague to choose from:
Luxury (110€ and up)
- Malostranská Residence – Are you looking for a superb place where to stay in Prague, Malá Strana so you’ll be spoiled exactly like a queen or king? This one’s for you! This superb aparthotel awaits with a great location, amazing views of the city and many luxurious facilities!
- Bishop’s House – Here’s another upscale choice for your stay in Mala Strana, Prague! This great 4-star hotel is located super close to Charles Bridge and the Old Town as well, which means you’ll be close to all the important landmarks and attractions in the city!
Middle-priced (60€ – 110€)
- Three Golden Crowns Apartments – Are you looking for a very good mid-range stay in Prague Malá Strana close to Malostranské Square? Then this place is for you! It’s a very comfortable 3-star aparthotel located very close to the castle and St. Vitus Cathedral as well, so you can explore the city by foot!
- Hotel U 3 Pstrosu – Here’s another awesome middle-priced hotel in Mala Strana (also called the Lesser Town) close to Malostranské Square! This superb 4-star hotel has classy and clean rooms and it’s located right in the historical center of Prague. What more can you wish for?
Budget (up to 60€)
- Little Quarter Hostel – Are you looking for an unforgettable budget stay in Mala Strana, close to Malostranské Square? Look no further than this awesome hostel! This accommodation is hosted in a historical building and it offers everything you might need for a pleasant stay for a small rate!
- Charles Bridge Hostel & Apartments – Here’s another budget-friendly option located right in the heart of Malá Strana (also called the Lesser Town)! This hostel has simple but cozy rooms, perfect for a good night’s sleep after a full day of exploring Prague!
4. Castle District (Hradcany)
Here are a couple of interesting things about Prague Castle and the area before you visit:
The Castle District, also called Hradcany, is, as you might’ve guessed already, the neighborhood where Prague Castle is located!
Prague Castle is one of the largest castle complexes in the world and it’s definitely one of those unmissable things to visit during your trip to the Czech capital. Hradcany offers a great view of the city and Vltava River and it’s also a more laid-back neighborhood, perfect for people who don’t want to be in the tourist craziness of the Old Town Square.
Except for Prague Castle, some of the highlights of this area include the National Gallery of Bohemian Art, the Royal Garden, and more. Plus, you’ll be super close to Malá Strana, Nove Mesto and Stare Mesto as well.
In terms of accommodation, the Castle District has something for all tastes and budgets out there, from luxurious 5-star hotels to hostels, guest houses and apartments as well.
If you have your heart set on the Castle District, scroll down to find your ideal place to stay from one of my recommendations below:
Luxury (120€ and up)
- Mandarin Oriental Prague – This hotel is part of the top luxury hotels in Prague! Their rooms have underfloor heating and the bathroom cosmetics have essential oils. Their spa is located in a former Renaissance chapel, and their other amenities include a gym, a sauna, and yoga classes.
- Golden Well – If you’re still wondering where to stay in Prague for the ultimate luxury experience, I recommend booking your stay at this hotel! Needless to stay that it is located very close to Prague Castle and it also has plenty of awesome facilities and amenities that will make your stay unforgettable!
Middle-priced (60€ – 120€)
- Golden Star – Are you looking for a great mid-range hotel located very close to the castle? You’ll find it here! This hotel has new and modern facilities and amenities and all the rooms here are very clean and nicely decorated. Get ready for a great experience! hotel
- Hotel Questenberk – Here’s another great mid-range hotel located very close to Prague Castle. It’s also close to the Old Town as well, so you can rest assured that you’ll be in the best location ever. Some of the best things about staying in this 4-star hotel are the free Wi-Fi, the summer terrace and the superb rooms, of course.
Budget (up to 60€)
- Timmy Apartment – Are you looking for a great budget stay in Prague, close to the castle? No worries, I found the best solution for you! This nice guest house has new and modern amenities and some gorgeous and spacious rooms!
- Hostel Santini Prague – Here’s another cheap place near Prague Castle and close to the Old Town as well. It’s a very comfortable hostel hosted in the old residence of Jan Blazej Santini architect, so it has awesome decor!
Vinohrady is one of the coolest (and greenest!) places to stay in Prague and it’s not located far away from the city center either (it’s actually in Prague 2), which is definitely a great plus.
In case you’re looking for a calmer atmosphere, then Vinohrady is definitely one of the best places to stay for you! For example, you can take a walk in one of the most beautiful parks in the city called Havlickovy Sady, visit the Peace Square (Náměstí Míru), admire the gorgeous buildings or enjoy some relaxations in one of the cute cafes (by the way, there are tons of specialty coffee places around this area!)
If you’re a passionate foodie traveling to Prague, then you’ll surely love Vinohrady, as it’s filled with plenty of awesome restaurants serving both traditional Czech cuisine and international cuisines as well.
That being said, here are the best hotels in Vinohrady, Prague 2 to choose from:
Luxury (130€ and up)
- Mamaison Residence Belgická Prague – Here’s a superb 4-star hotel located in the best areas to stay in Prague 2! This hotel is hosted in a superb Art Nouveau building, right in the heart of Vinohrady and it awaits with all the facilities and amenities you might need!
- Boutique Hotel Seven Days – If you still didn’t find your dream place in Vinohrady (Prague 2), you should check out this hotel! It’s located very close to Havlickovy Sady Park and it’s also surrounded by plenty of awesome places for eating and drinking!
Middle-priced (70€ – 130€)
- Corinthia Hotel Prague – This is a great hotel in Vinohrady that has beautiful panoramic views of the city, free Wi-Fi all around the building, and a top-floor spa with a gym and a swimming pool. All the rooms have air-conditioning, satellite flat-screen TV, and high-quality furniture with luxury fabrics.
- Hotel Don Giovanni Prague – This hotel in Vinohrady is a great and modern option for cheap accommodation in Prague 2, where all the rooms are air-conditioned, with a flat-screen satellite TV, free Wi-Fi, and a minibar. Among facilities that require an extra fee, the guests can make use of a hammam, a spa and wellness center, a sauna, and a gym.
Budget (up to 70€)
- Czech Inn – This hostel in Prague, Vinohrady is perfectly located in the city center inside a 19th-century building. All the spacious rooms are comfortable, with clean and modern decor. The accommodation is a great environment to meet other travelers!
- Ping House – If you’re looking for a cheap place, Vinohrady is the right area to stay! For example, this hostel is an excellent option because it has unbeatable rates and all the facilities you might need!
6. Zizkov – Where to stay in Prague for nightlife
Are you a night owl looking for great nightlife places where you can dance the night away and enjoy some fun? Then Žižkov is the place for you!
Zizkov is a perfect place for people who are looking for awesome pubs and clubs but also for those traveling on a budget; because it’s not located as close to the city center as other neighborhoods, this can only mean that the accommodation options here are cheaper than, let’s say, in the Old Town Prague!
Zizkov is the place where you’ll find plenty of beer gardens where you can enjoy some delicious Czech beer, bars, pubs and different types of nightclubs as well.
If you think like this is the best place for you, here are the best hotels in Zizkov to choose from:
Luxury (100€ and up)
- One Room Hotel Prague – Here’s one of Prague’s best hotels! I totally recommend it to all travelers looking for a luxurious hotel that has an on-site restaurant, a bar and impeccable 5-star service. Get ready for an unforgettable stay!
- Courtyard by Marriott Prague City – This beautiful 4-star hotel is another great choice for all those of you that want to be spoiled during their stay in Prague! Staying here means that you’ll be surrounded by many bars and food places that serve Czech cuisine – a great plus!
Middle-priced (40€ – 100€)
- Limes Apartments – Zizkov is a great area to stay if you’re looking for very good mid-range places! For example, this aparthotel has a very convenient location, close to all the important attractions in this neighborhood!
- Carlton – Here’s one of the city’s best hotels if you’re looking for an amazing mid-range hotel that has all the facilities and amenities you might need for a pleasant stay! Free Wi-Fi, airport shuttle, a bar, a fabulous breakfast – these are just some of the advantages of staying here!
Budget (up to 40€)
- Hostel Lípa – If you’re looking for a budget hotel, this place is for you! It has a very convenient location, only a 5-minute walk to the closest tram and metro station and it even has an on-site restaurant that serves Czech cuisine!
- Hostel Boudnik – As I mentioned above, Zizkov is a great area to stay for nightlife lovers and this accommodation is surrounded by plenty of bars and clubs! It’s also very close to a metro station, as well as other interesting sights in this neighborhood.
7. Karlin – Where to stay in Prague on a budget
Are you traveling to the city on a tight budget? Are you looking for a cheap stay in Prague? Then Karlín must be the neighborhood for you!
Karlin, as opposed to the Old Town, New Town, Mala Strana or the Castle District, doesn’t have many old buildings, as it’s a rather new and up-and-coming neighbourhood in Prague. So if you’re interested in a rather modern vibe, this is the best place to stay for you!
Another great thing about this area is that it’s not far from the city centre at all – if you use public transport, you’ll be there in more or less 10 minutes! But it’s a very good place to stay if you’re on the search for a laid-back area with plenty of interesting things to do as well.
That being said, here are the best places to stay in Prague in this awesome neighborhood:
Luxury (120€ and up)
- EMPIRENT Karlin Apartments – If you’re looking for luxurious places where to stay, Prague definitely has many amazing options! For example, this awesome apart hotel is a great choice if you want a spacious place to stay that will offer a very good service!
- Hotel Mucha – Here’s one of Prague’s best hotels! This cool 4-star hotel awaits with beautiful rooms, friendly staff and an excellent service. Get ready to be spoiled!
Middle-priced (70€ – 120€)
- Hotel Royal Prague – The rooms at this great hotel have a flat-screen satellite TV, extra-long beds, and an electric kettle. Some rooms even have a small seating area to relax! Among the amenities they offer free Wi-Fi, a spa, and wellness center and more.
- Hotel Alwyn – Here’s another awesome mid-range hotel close to the town center! The service offered here is at a high level and the prices are very good – plus, you’ll be a minute away from all the important attractions in this area!
Budget (up to 70€)
- Apartments Karlin – Here’s my first recommendation for budget-friendly accommodations in this area located close to the town center! This is actually a very simple and nice apartment that offers all the facilities you might need!
- Charles Central – This 3-star hotel in Karlin has some great rates and an even better service, trust me! They have a very good buffet breakfast, satellite TV and a very convenient location.
Best apartments in Prague
If you want to book an apartment instead of a hotel for your Prague stay, don’t worry, I got you covered as well! Going for an apartment instead of a hotel is a great option if you are traveling with a bigger group of people, or if you just want something that feels more like home and sometimes even with more accessible prices!
There are maaany great options for Prague apartments that are perfectly fit to all preferences and budgets. Here are the best ones I have selected for you:
Luxury (150€ and up)
- Riverview Old Town Apartment – This entire apartment is perfect to fit up to 8 people and it has 4 soundproofed bedrooms, an equipped kitchen, and 2 bathrooms. The accommodation also includes air-conditioning, a balcony and a terrace with river views, a flat-screen satellite TV, a dishwasher, and a washing machine.
- Garden Apartment – Here’s a superb, luxurious apartment located right in the heart of Prague’s Old Town! The owners will go above and beyond to satisfy all your needs. Just take a look at the pictures, I’m sure you’ll love the place!
Middle-priced (80€ – 150€)
- Cozy Flat by The Astronomical Clock – This great apartment is less than 600m from the Clock and it is spacious enough to fit 4 people. The property is completely soundproofed and has one bedroom, an equipped kitchen with a fridge and microwave, and one bathroom. The rooms have a cozy and simple décor and you’ll have easy access to the rest of the city via public transport (it’s close to a metro station).
- Stylish luxury in Old Town Prague – Here’s a super nice and comfortable apartment in the Old Town that has some very good prices! It’s perfect for up to 4 guests looking to explore everything that Prague has to offer. Get ready for an unforgettable stay in the Old Town!
Budget (up to €80)
- Central Apartment on Wenceslas Square +A/C+Netflix – Are you looking for a very good budget stay in the Old Town? Try and book a room here, it’s an excellent choice! You’ll be well-connected to many public transportation options, so you can easily get around the city from this apartment.
- Beautiful, clean, tidy room in the center of Prague – This is another nice budget option for your stay, right in the heart of the Old Town! Get ready for a super pleasant stay! This is actually a very nice private room in an apartment hosted in a baroque building, great for up to 2 guests.
BONUS 1: Best hotels for families in Prague
If you are going to Prague on a family holiday, it is a good idea to consider looking at hotels that are also kid-friendly. Here are some of the best hotels in Prague that I recommend for families (by the way, the prices below are for a family of 4 – 2 adults and 2 kids):
Luxury (170€ and up)
- Prague Marriott Hotel – Marriot is one of the best hotels in Prague Old Town that offer luxurious signature bedding in the spacious rooms, a flat-screen TV, a seating area, and a 24/7 open fully equipped gym for all the guests. Plus, you’ll be within walking distance to many important attractions in town such as the Old Town Square, Charles Bridge and a train station as well.
- Pytloun Boutique Hotel Prague – This is one of the top Prague hotels because of their boutique, modern design overlooking Wenceslas Square and the Franciscan Gardens. This cool boutique hotel is also close to the Old Town Square and Charles Bridge as well! Get ready for an unforgettable stay!
Middle-priced (120€ -170€)
- Aquapalace Hotel Prague – This is one of the most fun Prague hotels for families in one of the best areas in the city! It is a non-smoking hotel located on the grounds of the Aquapalace Praha for which it offers unlimited access to most guests (some specific rooms do not include the tickets – be sure to double check).
- Wellness Hotel Prague Step – This hotel has a direct connection to Step Sports and Wellness Center, where guests may use all of their facilities such as tennis, squash, and badminton courts, a bowling alley, and an indoor pool at the spa. All the rooms are spacious and have a satellite TV, free Wi-Fi and air-conditioning. Plus, you can reach the Old Town Square in no time by public transport!
Budget (up to 120€)
- Pension Karlova – Here’s a great choice if you’re looking for very good budget places to stay with your entire family! This awesome hotel is right in the heart of town and you can easily get around by foot and explore everything that Prague has to offer!
- Apartments Kaprova – This cute and clean guest house walking distance to all the highlights in Prague! Staying with your family in an apartment instead of a hotel is a very good choice because you’ll have more space; plus, this place is close to plenty of public transport options so you can see other areas in town as well!
BONUS 2: Best hotels near Prague airport
In case you are staying in the city for a short time and you are wondering what are the best hotels in Prague near the Vaclav Havel Airport, I have some great options for you! These top selections have awesome reviews and facilities:
- (Luxury) Courtyard by Marriott Prague Airport is one of the best luxury Prague hotels near the airport you can find! All the rooms are allergy-free and have a 42-inch flat-screen TV with free movie channels, free Wi-Fi and more. Get ready for a great experience!
- (Middle-priced) Holiday Inn Prague Airport is a great option for a middle-priced Prague accommodation that has a tasteful and modern design throughout the rooms and shared areas. All the rooms are soundproofed and there is also wired internet access at the meeting facilities and business corner.
- (Budget) Dolce Villa is the best budget accommodation option near the airport with elegant and simple modern décor – you will not believe the price you are paying for this great service! There are 6 conference rooms on-site, and bowling facilities for guests to have some fun!
This was my complete guide for accommodations that fit every taste and pocket! I hope it will be helpful for your Prague hotel booking process!
In this post I have carefully chosen recommendations of the 7 best neighborhoods and hotels in Prague! As a bonus, I gave you some recommendations for apartments and family hotels in the city, as well as airport hotels! I am sure you will find your dream accommodation in one of my lists above!
Oh, and by the way, if you need help planning your itinerary in one of the most wonderful cities in Europe, I recommend you check out my post about Things to do in Prague so you will have a better idea of all the activities that you can do in the city!
I hope you will have the best Prague holidays and, as always, let me know if you have any questions below in the comments! I will be more than happy to answer!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!