Located in Aburrá Valley, north of the capital Bogotá, Medellin is Colombia’s second largest city. With an estimated population at over two and a half million, Medellin is certainly a global metropolitan city and an amazing destination for every type of traveler out there!
In case you plan a trip to the city in the near future, congrats, you are going to have such an amazing time! But now you might be wondering where to stay in Medellin for the best experience for your budget and preferences, am I right? No need to worry, as I got you covered!
There are plenty of hotels in Medellin and other accommodation options scattered all over the city in different neighborhoods and it can be quite daunting to try and pick one, but this article will tell you everything you need to know!
So let’s get to it and find out which are the best areas and hotels to stay in Medellin. Are you ready? Let’s go!
- If you’re in a hurry…
- 1. El Poblado – Where to stay in Medellin for nightlife
- 2. Laureles – Estadio – Where to stay in Medellin for the first time
- 3. Belen – Where to stay in Medellin on a budget
- 4. Envigado – Where to stay in Medellin with a family
- 5. El Centro – La Candelaria
- BONUS – Best apartments in Medellin, Colombia
- BONUS: Best hotels near Medellin Airport
If you’re in a hurry…
The best area to stay in Medellin for first-time travelers is either El Poblado or Laureles. Now, I cannot choose between these two, as they’re equally great and full of interesting attractions, so any of them will transport you directly into the middle of the action, but you can check my comparison table below to see which one of them is better for you.
Best hotels in Medellin in a nutshell
Which area should you choose?
First of all, here is a map that shows all the areas I’ll be talking about in this post, so you can get a better idea of where they are located:
So this all begs the question: where to stay in Medellin? Well, there are a couple of notable areas, or ‘barrios’, that have seen the best part of this rebuild and make for a great base to explore this wonderful city. In case you need help with choosing the right one for you, here is my list of personalized recommendations based on budget and interests:
- Where to stay in Medellin for luxury: El Poblado
- Where to stay in Medellin for budget travelers: Laureles, Belén, La Candelaria & Envigado
- Where to stay in Medellin for nightlife: El Poblado
- Where to stay in Medellin for families: Belen and Envigado
- Where to stay in Medellin for foodies and coffee lovers: El Poblado
As El Poblado and Laureles are the two most popular places to stay among tourists, I have provided this little analysis in order to help you choose:
|Price of accommodation||More expensive accommodation||Cheaper accommodation|
|Cost of living||Cheaper cost of living||More expensive cost of living|
|Public transportation and walkability||More hilly. Public transport depends on the area where you stay (max 10 min walk).||Much flatter so therefore more walkable. Public transport depends on the area where you stay (max 10 min walk).|
|Safety||High safety standards||High safety standards|
To check out where the action really is (and heaps of other ideas about the city) take a look at my What to do in Medellin article!
Although accommodation options are plentiful in Medellin, those in the above areas tend to be the most popular and therefore can book out rather quickly, so as always, reserve your accommodation in advance wherever possible so that you don’t miss out!
1. El Poblado – Where to stay in Medellin for nightlife
Medellin is such a large city, this means that choosing your accommodation becomes even more important as you don’t want to end up on the wrong side of town or far away from everything you came to see during your trip to Colombia!
This tends to be why El Poblado is by far the most popular area to stay in for tourists as it is full of culture, restaurants, bars and all the things travellers love. El Poblado also has some of the best views of the surrounding mountains! Some interesting sights and attractions here include Parque Lleras, Saint Joseph of El Poblado Church (the place where Medellin itself was founded!) and Jose Amar Gallery; plus, you can always party in Zona Rosa!
So in this El Poblado section you will find some of the very best hotels in Medellin. Here are my recommendations:
Luxury (US$165 and up)
- The Charlee Hotel – Located in the Parque Lleras area of El Poblado (more exactly in Patio Bonito), The Charlee Hotel is one of the top Medellin hotels, located close to plenty of restaurants and bars. With a rooftop swimming pool, daily buffet breakfast, balconies with a hot tub and lots of other facilities, guests absolutely love this hotel! You will be right in the heart of El Poblado action, close to tons of restaurants! Definitely one of the best places to stay in the entire city!
- Medellín Marriott Hotel – Consistently ranked as one of the best hotels in Medellin, The Marriott delivers perfection. It is located right in the heart of El Poblado and is surrounded by restaurants, cafes, bars and more. The decor is stunningly modern and the in house restaurants and bars are often packed with locals and guests. Top pick! Bonus: super close to Parque Lleras as well!
Mid-range (US$55 – US$165)
- Sites Hotel Medellín – Here you will find extremely modern, polished and sleek designs to go along with spacious and excellently equipped private rooms (most even self-catering facilities!). However, the best feature of this hotel is the rooftop terrace that has a pool and BBQ! Oh, and did I mention the views are amazing?! Cherry on top: located in El Poblado, more exactly in Patio Bonito, close to Parque Lleras!
- Hotel Dann Carlton Medellín – Centrally located, tick. Rooftop terrace with pool, tick. 24 hour room service, tick. Spa, salin, gym, tick, tick! The Dann Carlton truly has it all! You can relax and take advantage of these great features after an amazing buffet breakfast or explore the nearby El Poblado, the choice is yours! P.S. This hotel is 5 stars and very close to all the important tourist attractions!
Budget (up to US$55)
- Element Hotel – A highly-rated, three star hotel in the heart of El Poblado that serves breakfast daily, sounds impossible, right? Well it’s not, Element hotel meets all the criteria and it’s one of the best places to stay! The rooms (as well as the beds) are spacious, modern and all come with a balcony to fully enjoy the Medellin experience. Truly one of the best budget hotels in Poblado, Medellin.
- Hotel Lleras 10 – As you can probably tell from the name, this hotel is located in the lovely Parque Lleras area of El Poblado. Guests will find simple, well-appointed rooms that are also spacious. There is a hot-tub that you can share and some lovely garden views to be had. The price includes breakfast as well. The rooms are rather small, but super clean and nice!
2. Laureles – Estadio – Where to stay in Medellin for the first time
The second most popular barrio for visitors to Medellin is Laureles, sometimes referred to as Stadium or Laureles – Estadio. This is due to the fact that the two Medellin football teams play their matches at Atanasio Girardot stadium in Laureles.
Tourists will also find a lot of life, everything from hipster cafes to local restaurants, and of course some great hotels here. The prices here are considerably cheaper than in El Poblado and this has been reflected in the parameters of each section.
That being said, here are the best hotels in Laureles for all budgets and tastes:
Luxury (US$110 and up)
- Hotel Merlott 70 – Hotel Merlott 70 is one of the few luxury hotels located in Laureles. The rooms are very spacious and have cable channels. The hotel offers free on-site parking, bike hire and a daily buffet breakfast. The residential street is quiet, so no need to worry about late night revellers, as there are mostly working class people there; but you’ll be close to plenty of restaurants! One of the top Medellin hotels!
- Terra Biohotel – The king suite at Terra Biohotel is a sight to behold in Laureles! Furnished in a stylish, modern motif, the room is incredibly spacious and has its own personal balcony with stunning views across the city. As if that wasn’t enough, there is a motorised spa bath inside the room! Plus, this accommodation offers easy access to all the interesting attractions in this area!
Mid-range (US$35 – US$60)
- Inntu Hotel – Located in Laureles, this hotel is the best place to stay if you want to enjoy magnificent views from almost all rooms, an in-house restaurant and bar and a semi-indoor pool area that will make you feel like a movie star. The hotel also offers an excellent daily breakfast. The rooms themselves are decorated tastefully and in a modern style. A great value choice.
- Hotel Casa Laureles – The perfect way to pass a Medellin afternoon/evening in Laureles is to sip a few drinks on a streetside patio and watch the world go by. Well you can do that here! The hotel also has a business centre, on-site restaurant and 24 hour reception. The rooms are spacious and well-appointed. Such a great hotel, close to plenty of restaurants and cool attractions!
Budget (up to US$35)
Here are the top budget hotels in Laureles I have selected for you, all with amazing reviews:
- Hotel Laureles Home Boutique – This is a great choice for all different types of budget travellers as there are several different room types, including one with bunk beds for the kids! Located (as the name suggests) in Laureles, the property boasts simple yet modern rooms and even a bike hire service! Breakfast is included in the price too!
- Hotel Asturias Medellin – Are you looking for the best place to stay on a tight budget? Well, you just found it! This is an amazing place located close to a metro station and close to all the interesting streets and attractions in one of the most popular areas in Medellin!
3. Belen – Where to stay in Medellin on a budget
Just to the south of Laureles and a much more relaxed and rather residential area called Belén. It is here where you will start to find many more locals than tourists, so if you are looking for a quieter, relaxed stay but still within arms reach of the major tourist attractions, then Belén is a great choice. By the way, the prices here are excellent!
NOTE: There are no luxury hotels in Belen, unfortunately.
Here are some amazing options for super cheap prices instead:
Budget (up to US$30)
- Hotel Zona Verde – Situated amidst a beautiful green setting is middle-priced Hotel Zona Verde. This three star hotel has an in-house restaurant and bar, garden, terrace and offers free on-site parking. Guests can also take advantage of a daily buffet breakfast after spending a night in one of the spacious and comfortable rooms!
- Hotello – Slotting into the budget section is Hotello. This accommodation offers all the new amenities that are required for a comfortable stay such as a 24 hour reception, large double beds, private bathrooms, Wi-Fi and a continental breakfast! Close to Calle 33, Cerro Nutibara and Pueblito Paisa as well!
- Apartamento Ofix 30 – Even though this is not a hotel or a hostel, this apartment is among the best places to stay on a budget in one of the top neighborhoods of the city! This accommodation is close to a metro station for easy access and it’s a wonderful place overall!
4. Envigado – Where to stay in Medellin with a family
Envigado, at the north of Sabaneta and south of El Poblado, was a separate city in the past, but it is now part of Medellin. For this reason it is much cheaper than the other areas but also has less restaurants, cafes and has less action. So if you’d like a laid-back place to stay with your family and children, this one’s for you!
Unfortunately, there are not many accommodation options in Envigado but if you do find yourself needing to stay there then check out one of these great properties.
Budget (up to US$30)
- Arame Hotel – This 4-star hotel is aimed towards business travellers but also welcomes tourists if they find themselves in the city. With an on-site restaurant and room service capabilities, it is a great choice if you want to stay in Envigado, close to El Dorado as well!
- Hotel Casa Madero – Located outside of Envigado itself is Casa Madero. This is a great property if you want a bit of countryside and there is an onsite restaurant and a lounge area to relax if you want to get out of your room. Due to its proximity to Envigado and Medellin it wouldn’t be recommended to stay here without a car.
- Eco Casa Raices – Are you wondering where to stay in Medellin on a tight budget while still enjoying an amazing service and the best facilities and amenities? You just found one of the top places out there, especially if you’re looking for an entire house! You will surely enjoy your stay here even though you won’t be very close to a metro station.
- Casa finca en la ciudad – Here’s yet another amazing place to stay in this beautiful city if you don’t have a huge budget for accommodation and you’re looking for lower prices! This amazing house awaits with free Wi-Fi, a kitchen, a cute patio, a garden, a terrace and more! Plus, all the rooms here are super clean and nicely decorated!
5. El Centro – La Candelaria
NOTE: That being said, I also have to mention that this neighbourhood is considered less safe then, let’s say, El Poblado or Laureles, so I advise you avoid walking alone at night there and to always be mindful of your belongings.
If you don’t mind this, El Centro or La Candelaria is the place where you’ll find many super cheap hotels! Here are the best ones I have selected for you:
Mid-range (US$30 and up)
- Hotel Gallery – Who doesn’t love a good art hotel? Hotel Gallery is a mid-range modern art themed hotel, where each room has a featured mural wall in the bedroom. There is also a 24 hour reception, a rooftop bar/dining area with amazing views and is located in the heart of La Candelaria (El Centro). Truly a cool place!
Budget (up to US$30)
- 61Prado Guesthouse – In case you’re looking for an amazing budget stay right in the heart of El Centro, walking distance to all the interesting tourist attractions around, I recommend you check out this one! It’s a great place to stay, and it has pretty rooms and some unbeatable rates.
- Medallo Social Hostal – Here’s the best place to stay on a budget if you’re looking for a hostel! This place awaits with a garden, barbecue facilities, free Wi-Fi and some very nice views! In the morning you can choose between a continental or an American breakfast – what more can you wish for?
- Lucia Central – Still wondering where to stay in Medellin for a superb budget experience? Check out this place! It’s close to a metro station and it has all the amenities and facilities you might need for a super pleasant stay in La Candelaria. Plus, the staff is super friendly and helpful!
BONUS – Best apartments in Medellin, Colombia
If there’s a surplus of one thing in Medellin, it’s things to do and see. The city is so rich in culture, adventure and entertainment it requires at least a full week to get a good sense of the heartbeat of the city and to experience it all. For longer and more flexible stays that perhaps allow you to save a few pesos by cooking at home, I recommend staying in an apartment. In addition, apartments are more often than not located in residential areas so it gives the guests a truer representation of how locals live! And if it counts, it’s where I would’ve stayed as well!
So in this section, I have chosen some great options for staying in an apartment in Medellin, and as always have broken them down into three budget sections and of course have not included anything that is not rated the best of the best!
Luxury (US$90 and up)
There are some really nice areas and properties in the city, and some of these apartments are amongst the best places to stay in Medellin. You won’t have to forget about five star service and luxury if you want some independence during your stay, just check out one of these properties to get both!
- Energy 1103: Balcony Apt in Luxury Building – Looking for a superb apartment where to stay in Medellin? Search no more! This one’s perfect for a luxurious stay in Medellin and it has an amazing location, right in the heart of the city. Just check out the pictures, I’m sure you will fall in love! Plus, the terrace is to die for!
- Casa Del Reloj – Located in the Parque Lleras area of El Poblado, this apartment is already off to a good start. In addition, the two bedrooms are decorated in an antique colombian mountain style and are simply STUNNING! There is even an indoor pool! There is really nothing to fault about this property, simply amazing.
Mid-range (US$20 – US$90)
Just like with the best hotels in Medellin above, where you will find most variety and value is in the middle-priced section. Now this is a great thing, however more options means choosing becomes very difficult. Fortunately for you, I have done all the research for you and have selected the three best options here to help you get the most value out of your budget. Check it out!
- Apartamentos Loma Verde – Situated on the outskirts of El Poblado, Loma Verde is tucked away from all the action, but still within 5 minutes walk. Each apartment has it’s own private balcony, fully equipped kitchen, dishwasher (yahoo, no washing dishes) and modern electronics. There is a shared terrace/BBQ area and a spectacular rooftop pool!
- 2 Bedroom Apartment Near to GOLDEN MILE – Looking for a very good value for your stay in Medellin, Colombia? Look no further than this amazing place! I definitely recommend it for up to 4 guests that want to explore all the best sights that Medellin has to offer. Plus, the check-in is super easy and the entire place is sparkling clean!
Budget (up to US$20)
- Heart of Poblado. 300MB WiFi + Walking Distance to Best – Looking for a super good budget stay in Medellin, Colombia? Well, I have good news as this private room in a house has some incredible prices, trust me! The bed is great and there is also free Wi-Fi, so you can expect an excellent stay right in the heart of the city!
- Amazing Big Master Bedroom. Best Poblado Spot – Here’s another very good option that has some super low prices! This private room is bright, super clean and it has an amazing location, close to everything you might want – right in the heart of El Poblado!
BONUS: Best hotels near Medellin Airport
José María Córdova International Airport (MDE) is the only international airport in Medellin and it is located 20 km southeast of the city. In fact, the airport is located in a different city called Rio Negro. Don’t worry, it is extremely common to fly in/out of this airport to access Medellin and 20km is not that far if you really think about it.
However, for reasons such as a late arrival, early departure or something completely different, some travellers choose to stay close by the airport. In this section I have provided you with the best options for doing so:
- (Luxury) Movich Hotel Las Lomas – Kicking us off and in the luxury section is Movich Hotel. More of an estate than a hotel, the Movich has it all. Guests will find a tennis court, heated pool, gym, hot tub, terrace and 3 in-house restaurants! The hotel is five stars, so expect that level of service from staff for a super pleasant stay! Best of all, there’s a free airport shuttle!
- (Mid-range) Hotel Lagoon – Another five star hotel, however this time in the middle-priced section. The Lagoon features a daily buffet breakfast, in-house restaurant, large outdoor pool and fitness centre. They also have an airport shuttle which depending on your booking may be free. The hotel is set on a large property so you can even wander around the gardens to relax!
- (Budget) Star Hostal – Club De Tenis – Located just over 1km from the airport and providing simple yet modern rooms that all have a desk and tv, this is a great choice for the budget range! The reception is 24 hours for those late arrivals and the hotel possesses a fitness centre, tennis court and terrace! For when the flight time comes, the airport shuttle takes 5 minutes as is free! One of the top hostels, good for all people traveling on a budget!
NOTE: There also have the Olaya Herrera Airport (EOH) that serves local flights, but this one is located just a 10 min drive from El Poblado, so you won’t need to stay in a different area for this one! You can check my hotel recommendations for that area.
So there you have it, my complete guide to Medellin accommodation where I told you everything you need to know about the 5 best neighborhoods to stay in the city together with hotels, apartments and options near the airport!
The city itself is, as they say in Spanish, a “maravilla”, or a marvel. There is so much to do and see, and if partying is your thing then you will love Medellin, as you can see in my latest Things to do in Medellin article. And here are all my posts and content about Colombia for even more inspiration.
In terms of tourism, Medellin is still recovering in recent years from its violent history and past, so if you like to check places out before they become “cool” and overcrowded, now is the perfect time for some Medellin travel. But they are coming, the tourists, so if you do decide to visit this lovely city please ensure you are booking your Medellin accommodation as soon as possible.
I wish you a great trip to Colombia! And if you have any questions, make sure to leave them in the comments below!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!