Are you thinking of going to Langkawi? That’s amazing! Langkawi Island is a mixture of clear waters, sandy shores, and also culture definitely worth visiting. Best part is, It is a year-round destination due to their warm weather.
If you like shopping you will love the fact that Langkawi is a duty-free island so you will be visiting every mall and store in the area. But shopping and beaches are not the only great things this island has to offer – check out my article about the best things to do in Langkawi (including some adventurous activities!) to help you plan your trip!
Now that you are considering a visit to this island, you will need some ideas about best Langkawi hotel options and I am here to help! Although the Island is fairly small, there are still some issues with moving around it, so I will recommend the ideal areas where to stay and you’ll see which fits your budget and vibe preferences. I have selected the best Langkawi Island hotels with great reviews and amenities broke down into price categories for your convenience.
Let’s get into it, here are my recommendations of good hotels in Langkawi:
How to choose the best area for your stay
If you got a bit confused with so many neighborhoods and areas, here is my list of personalized recommendations for each type of traveler:
- Best sightseeing area – Kuah Town
- Most water adventurous activities – Pantai Cenang
- Best beaches – Pantai Tengah
- Unique nightlife options – Pantai Cenang
- A secluded shore – Teluk Datai or Tanjung Rhu
- Great nature attractions – Padang Matsirat
- Crystal clear water and powder fine sand – Tanjung Rhu
- Shopping spree – Kuah Town
- Best for families – Pantai Kok or Teluk Datai
1. Pantai Cenang
The beach-town of Pantai Cenang is probably the busiest on the island with a unique picturesque beach strip (2 km long), many souvenir shops, and a diversity of restaurants. It is only a 10-minute drive from the airport and has many attractions for every kind of traveler from their water sport activities like jet skiing and parasailing, to the fun kid-friendly Underwater World Langkawi and Rice Garden Museum.
This side of the island is also known for its nightlife experience, having a range of beachfront bars and lounges, as well as live music and cultural performances throughout the night. If you don’t stay in this area but still want to visit the beach, you can, but because the hotels there are so close to each other, you will need to find a sandy passageway in between to get in.
NOTE: If shouldn’t be a problem if you actually cross the hotel to reach the beach shore.
NOTE 2: If you travel with kids, don’t let them swim too far because there have been some accidents with non-cautious jetski riders in the area.
These are the best options for a hotel in Pantai Cenang:
Luxury (US$165 and up)
- Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort – It is a gorgeous and spacious resort is an amazing option of Langkawi beach hotel, right on the sandy shores with wooden chalets and 2 free-form outdoor pools. The units include modern furniture, a flat-screen satellite TV, and a private balcony.
- Ambong – Ambong Langkawi Rainforest Retreat – This beautiful resort has many suites for a couple and some cottage options for families, all very cozy on the inside and an amazing nature view on the surroundings. Their property is up on a steep hill within the rainforest and includes an outdoor pool and on-site spa and massage services.
Middle-priced (from US$55 to US$165)
- Camar Resort Langkawi – It is a modern and elegant resort option in the area that includes among facilities an outdoor swimming pool, a fitness center, and a shared lounge for the guests. All the rooms have air-conditioning, a flat-screen satellite TV, and beautiful views of the garden or pool.
Budget (up to US$55)
- Virgo Star Resort – It is a great budget style resort only 400 m from the beach shores and has an indoor pool if you don’t like the beach. The facilities include free Wi-Fi, free private parking on-site, a garden, and air-conditioning in the rooms.
- The Temak Villa – This beautiful and budget guesthouse in Langkawi is perfect for couples being near Pantai Tengah Beach but also far enough to not feel you are in a touristic place. The amenities include an outdoor swimming pool, and a terrace to enjoy their lovely garden.
2. Pantai Tengah
You can say that Pantai Tengah is basically a continuation of Pantai Cenang and is the longest part of the beach on Langkawi Island.
There might not be much of sightseeing like other tourist destinations, but it does have a great number of activities like going for a spa day or island-hopping tours.
The accommodations in the area are more affordable while still keeping a good service. Here are my recommendations for Pantai Tengah accommodations:
Middle-priced (US$60 and up)
- Hotel Aloft Langkawi Pantai Tengah – This modern and unique 4-star hotel is less than 200 m from the beach and has an outdoor swimming pool and fitness center if you want to skip the ocean shores. Their rooms are non-smoking, they include air-conditioning, and some even have a balcony.
- Lot 33 Boutique Hotel – It is an elegant and classy hotel with an outdoor swimming pool and an in-house restaurant. All the units come with a flat-screen TV, a wardrobe, and a private bathroom.
- Dash Resort Langkawi – This peculiar resort with unique designs stands right in front of the Andaman Sea, giving the guests gorgeous views of the water and sandy beach. The property facilities include large windows so you get natural lighting and a beachside infinity pool.
Budget (up to US$60)
- Bunk Inn at Shaka Langkawi – It is a fun hostel less than 350 m (5-min walk) from the beach where guests can find many water sports and great bars to enjoy! You can choose between a private room and shared dorms, all with shared bathrooms, and a small seating area.
3. Pantai Kok
You might think that Pantai Kok is the most expensive and classy area in Langkawi because of the many high-end upscale resorts along the beach, but that’s not all you will find there! The bay is surrounded by limestone hills and huge jungle to give it a peaceful presence to your experience.
On the waterfront, you can find the Telaga Harbour Park, a small yachting marina with shops, bars, and restaurants that modernized the area and made it much more tourist appealing. As part of their attractions, you can go for the cable-car ride towards the Mat Cincang Mountain or a trek to the Telaga Tujuh Waterfalls.
Pantai Kok is a great destination for families, for their calm and scenic beaches, and the diversity of nearby attractions and shops for all ages.
See my handpicked options of accommodations in Pantai Kok for you:
Luxury (US$200 and up)
- The Ritz Carlton Langkawi – It is one of the best beachfront hotels in Langkawi that even features a private beach section, a tennis court, and a children’s playground. Their amenities include free Wi-Fi on the property, an outdoor infinity pool, and a spa.
- The Danna Langkawi Resort – This elegant and modern resort is one of the best beachfront hotels in Langkawi that includes an outdoor swimming pool, a spa, and a lounge. The beachfront property has wooden furniture, floor-to-ceiling windows, and a seating area with a flat-screen TV.
Middle-priced (from US$50 to US$200)
- Berjaya Langkawi Resort – It is one of the top hotels in Langkawi on the edge of the tropical rainforest has small yet spacious Malayan-style chalets perfect for two people with their private balconies and lovely wooden décor. The resort is right above the sea and as part of their facilities it has a free-form outdoor pool, 4 restaurants, and a bar.
- Villa Tiga (v3) @ Datai Valley – This small and cozy villa has an outdoor swimming pool, a BBQ area and a garden. The villa has a bedroom, a living room with a flat-screen TV, a fully equipped kitchenette, and a bathroom.
Budget (up to US$50)
- Rayyan’s Roomstay – It is a great option for Langkawi accommodation with a classic style décor that includes comfortable and spacious rooms all with a desk, a flat-screen TV, and a private bathroom.
4. Tanjung Rhu
In Tanjung Rhu you can find the most beautiful crystal clear waters with powder-fine sand! But to get here, you have to go through a nice and adventurous pass through the jungle, doesn’t it sound authentic and intriguing?
Unlike most places in Langkawi, at Tanjung Rhu you will feel the air clean and cool, instead of terribly hot as it feels throughout the Island. In other words, it is a perfect destination if you are looking for a nice beach with emerald blue waters away from the classic crowds.
These are the best options on where to stay in Tanjung Rhu:
Luxury (US$120 and up)
- Four Seasons Resort Langkawi – This amazing 5-star hotel-resort is close to the National Park and a couple of other beaches different from its own private beach and, I have to say, this is probably one of the best beaches I have been to! Their amenities include a full-service spa, 2 outdoor pools, a children’s club, and a fitness center.
- Tanjung Rhu Resort – It is a modern and amazing resort right on the beach with offered facilities that range from tennis courts to outdoor pools, and sauna rooms. The rooms include timber floors, a flat-screen TV, private bathrooms, and a minibar.
Middle-priced (from US$50 to US$120)
- Red Coral Cottage – It is a cozy and small cottage on the beach bay that offers rooms for two or three people. All of the units include air-conditioning, free Wi-Fi, and a flat-screen TV, but only some have a private terrace.
Budget (up to US$50)
- OYO 44124 De Langkawi Resort – This budget resort has comfortable and spacious rooms all with air-conditioning, a seating area, and a private bathroom with shower. There is also an on-site restaurant and free Wi-Fi access for all the guests.
- Eagleye Cottages – It is a nice and colorful homestay option of chalet style studios that include a living area, dining area, and kitchenette. There is a sun terrace and private beach area for all the guests.
5. Kuah Town
Kuah Town is one of the best locations that I would recommend to first-timers in Langkawi! Although it doesn’t have beaches, it is filled with shopping complexes, outlets, hotels, handicraft shops, and let’s not forget great bars and pubs! The town is the capital of Langkawi and can also be called Kuah or Bandar Kuah, in case you see anything similar you know they’re all many names for the same place.
Kuah is on reclaimed land which means that their waterfront does not have sandy beautiful beaches but more of a dock for ferries and muddy areas. It is, however, a perfect place if you want to enjoy the weather but not necessarily the beach and go around discovering other attractions in the vicinity.
Here are the best hotels in Kuah Town:
Luxury (US$160 and up)
- The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa – This resort is almost a dream come true not only for their impeccable service but their private pool and recreation center that includes pool and squash courts. The modern rooms come with a plasma TV, a private bathroom with glass-frosted rain shower and a balcony.
- The St. Regis Langkawi – This amazing resort will have you feel like royalty and you won’t want to fly back home. You can go for sun bathing at their private beach, take a dip at their outdoor infinity pool, or stay in their incredibly spacious rooms with elegant furniture and home entertainment system.
Middle-priced (from US$50 to US$160)
- The Ocean Residence Langkawi – It is one of the best Langkawi hotels near the beach with sea views and an outdoor swimming pool. The property is only a 5-minute drive from downtown Kuah City and has many street food stalls nearby.
- Bayview Hotel Langkawi – It is a comfortable 4 star hotel in Langkawi with lovely sea and hill views that includes an outdoor pool and a well-equipped fitness center. The spacious rooms have air-conditioning, a seating area with flat-screen TV, and a private bathroom.
Budget (up to US$50)
- Adya Hotel Langkawi – This hotel has very spacious areas and has a modern interior while still being a very good option part of the cheap hotels in Langkawi. It includes Muslim-friendly facilities such as a female-only swimming pool and a halal restaurant on-site.
- GREENISH HOTEL LANGKAWI – It is a comfortable new hotel in Langkawi with spacious rooms for two or four people. The hotel amenities include a bar, a garden, and outdoor swimming pool, and free Wi-Fi.
6. Teluk Datai
It is locally known as Pantai Teluk Datai (Datai Bay Beach), which is a small and beautifully white sandy private beach shared by The Datai and The Andaman resorts. How come it has such an appeal? The beach is a 1.5km longshore in the shape of a half-moon, so it gives you a calm sense of a big lake.
Because it is a private area, you need to be a guest at one of these resorts to be able to get closer to their fancy beach café and bar, and also to enjoy their small paradise.
These are the best and only hotels you can choose to stay in Teluk Datai:
- The Datai Langkawi Resort (from US$667 to US$740) – This amazing resort is probably the classiest and most boutique hotel in Langkawi that features everything, from the interior décor to the surrounding landscapes and their on-site open-air restaurants to enjoy local food with amazing views. Their facilities include a golf course, a spa, and a swimming pool.
- The Andaman Langkawi Resort (from US$185 to US$240) – It is probably the best hotel in Langkawi for family trips because of their lagoon-style outdoor pool, wooden décor and high-ceiling in every room, and even a Young Explorer’s Club for the kids. The units have balconies overseeing the garden, rainforest, or sea and some even have a private pool.
7. Padang Matsirat
The area of Padang Matsirat is known for its large green land, rice fields, and small villages. Although there are no beaches here, there are more cultural attractions such as shrines, parks, and legendary tombs, or the leisure activity of heading to a spa.
The only nightlife here is a beach bar in Lagoon Resort and a night market that is done weekly.
Although there are no luxury priced hotels, here are my more budget friendly recommendations for accommodations in Padang Matsirat:
Middle-priced (US$50 and up)
- The Smith House – It is a spacious and comfortable hotel with an on-site bar and an outdoor pool for the guests to enjoy. Their rooms include a flat-screen TV and slippers to make you feel at home.
Budget (up to US$50)
- Sabandy House B&B – This nice B&B comes with free Wi-Fi and free private parking if you have rented a car to move around the island. All the units include air-conditioning, a seating area with a flat-screen TV, and as part of their shared areas, there is a terrace.
- Modular Langkawi Capsule Hotel – It is a modern and very convenient capsule style hotel ideal for solo travelers. The capsule gives the guest total privacy, and you also get a locker to store your belongings.
Best hotels near Langkawi airport
Staying close to the Langkawi International Airport is a good idea if you have an early flight you obviously don’t want to miss or you might have a connecting flight with enough hours in between to head to the hotel for a short nap.
Here are my recommendations for Langkawi airport hotel options:
- Kunang Kunang Heritage Villas (~US$250) – This nice villa is close to the airport and has private parking for all those who plan on renting a car. Their facilities include an outdoor swimming pool, a bar, and a restaurant on-site.
- Cloud9 Holiday Cottages (from US$53 to US$86) – It is a spacious and comfortable vacation home with air-conditioning, free Wi-Fi, and a flat-screen TV. Other amenities in the units are private bathrooms with a shower and a shared garden to relax.
- ZEN Rooms Kedawang (~US$15) – It is a small and clean hotel near Langkawi airport that has free Wi-Fi, a free private parking, and a paid airport shuttle service. All the guestrooms have a flat-screen cable TV, air-conditioning, and a working desk.
Although it is not a very big Island, in Langkawi you can still find many activities to enjoy and areas around it where to stay each with its own charm. I hope that this Langkawi hotel list was useful to understand how the area is divided and which one is best for your preferences.
I have chosen only the awesome hotels with amazing reviews and great facilities, categorized by price range for your convenience.
Whichever accommodation you end up choosing for your Langkawi trip, I know you will love your stay there. If you are already halfway on the idea of traveling but want to know what else there is to do in Langkawi, I recommend giving this article a read.
I wish you a great vacation in Langkawi!
If you have any questions or recommend other hotels, please leave them below in the comments section! I will gladly get back to you!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!