Looking for a cool hotel in the vibrant Gaslamp Quarter? Want to find the best hotel out there to enhance your city and beach vacation experience in Gaslamp District? Stop the search, I’ve got you, fam! I have been researching for hours, comparing one hotel to another, until I created this list of the best hotels in Gaslamp, San Diego!
Now, this post is organized into 3 groups, starting with the luxury options, followed by the mid-range options, and last but not least, the budget options! There’s something in it for every budget!
And listen to this, by the end of the post, I’ve added a bonus with the best VRBOs in Gaslamp, San Diego! I wanted to give you all the very best options so if you don’t fancy any of the hotels and want your own space, stick around for the bonus!
San Diego is a super popular tourist destination, so my advice is to book as soon as you decide on a hotel for your dreamy vacation. So, book in advance and focus only on what you need to pack!
Are you ready? Let’s get to it so you can pick your favorite hotel in Gaslamp!
If you are in a hurry
If you need to book fast and don’t have a lot of time to read the whole article, here you have my top 3 recommendations for the best hotels in Gaslamp, San Diego!
Here are the main hotels to book in advance:
- Best 5-star luxury hotel – Pendry San Diego
- Top budget hotel – StayPineapple
- Best hotel for a honeymoon – Kimpton Alma San Diego
Luxury (US$300 and up)
- Andaz San Diego – a Concept by Hyatt – Elegant, modern, and fashionable, this hotel would be perfect for a getaway weekend with friends; with an outdoor swimming pool located on the rooftop as well as a bar, sit by the pool and relax sipping drinks on a sunny day! The rooms are spacious and can host up to 4 guests and come with free Wi-Fi! P.S.: This hotel is pet-friendly!
- Kimpton Alma San Diego, an IHG Hotel – Located a walking distance from San Diego’s Gaslamp Quarter, this hip hotel has a fitness center and a spa, 3 onsite restaurants, and an outdoor pool! The rooms are stylish and come with deluxe linens and toiletries. I highly recommend the skyline suite with a romantic harbor view and balcony to couples!
- The Guild Hotel – Who wouldn’t love a stay at this hip hotel in the prime location of downtown San Diego? Petco Park and San Diego Convention Center are just steps away. This hotel is a mix between art decó and industrial design, and they offer bike rentals, a fitness center, and breakfast to all their guests. The rooms are spacious and come with air conditioning, a flat-screen tv, and a coffee machine.
- Pendry San Diego – Do you want to wake up to a delicious à la carte breakfast every morning? Stay at Pendry Hotel! Enjoy the rooftop pool and jacuzzi, a bar, and a fitness and spa center! Or book a room with a view, order room service, and enjoy a quiet in-room dinner while overlooking San Diego!
- Omni San Diego Hotel – Whoa! This great accommodation is located 20 minutes drive from San Diego International Airport and steps away from Gaslamp Quarter trolley station. During pool season, enjoy a drink or a light lunch on their rooftop terrace relaxing by the pool! I suggest the Executive Suite and the One Bedroom Suite for big parties, these are super spacious and have a living room and bedroom!
- Hard Rock Hotel San Diego – Ah, yes! The party hotel! This hotel was made to have fun. During the day, you can chill by the pool or eat at their onsite restaurant Nobu San Diego, and at night, have some drinks at Float Rooftop Pool and dance in their onsite nightclub. Rooms come with flat-screen TVs in case you just want to relax on your own!
Mid Range (US$300 – US$200)
- AC Hotel by Marriott San Diego – Located in San Diego, Gaslamp Quarter, and with fresh decor, this hotel has all the nice amenities you want, like a fitness center, a bar, and a breakfast room (guests love the breakfast and staff here)! I recommend booking the King room with a balcony and city view to enhance the amazing experience!
- Moxy San Diego Gaslamp Quarter – Wow! I am impressed by this hotel’s amazing style, so young and fresh every single corner would make an amazing insta pic! And I heard a rumor they give you a complimentary cocktail at check-in! The rooms follow the same style as the rest of the hotel and can host 2 guests per room!
- Solamar San Diego – Simple and elegant! Hotel Solamar is perfect for relaxing, it has a cool rooftop pool with a bar to enjoy on a summer day, and perfect for business since it comes with a business center, so it doesn’t matter where you travel, this hotel has your back! I recommend a room with a spa bath to disconnect from the world after a long day!
- Hotel Republic San Diego, Autograph Collection – Are you going on vacation with your family? Then this might be the right hotel for you! They offer kids’ meals, and San Diego Zoo is only an 8-minute drive from the hotel! The hotel itself looks sophisticated and comes with 2 onsite restaurants. The biggest room can host 4 guests and has 2 double beds and an ensuite bathroom with a bathtub!
- Palihotel San Diego – When I look at this hotel’s pictures, I can’t help but think the decor looks like it’s from a Wes Anderson film! The location is amazing and only a 20-minute walk to the seaport village. There are many restaurants nearby, but you can dine at their onsite restaurant if you want to stay in! P.S.: this is a pet-friendly hotel (check with them about the extra fees).
- Residence Inn by Marriott San Diego – Did I hear you say the coordinates: San Diego, CA, 92101? 😎 Stay in the historic Gaslamp Quarter and enjoy a complimentary American breakfast every morning! The hotel has a swimming pool open to all guests, and the guest rooms come with a private kitchenette!
Budget (up to US$200)
- Staypineapple, Hotel Z, Gaslamp San Diego – Such a cute Gaslamp Quarter hotel! It is a pineapple-themed one, they even have pineapple-shaped cookies in the lobby where the coffee station is! The rooms have the comfiest beds (previous guests of the hotel say so!), a mini fridge, and a coffee machine!
- Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown – Do you like historic hotels? This one is listed on the national registry since it is a historical building with a European style and Victorian architecture. Still, the rooms have all the modern amenities and comfort you could wish for, such as a TV, a microwave, and a minifridge for snacks!
- Horton Grand Hotel – Oh me, oh my! Am I in 19th-century Paris or in San Diego? Travel back in time at this hotel which comes with a cozy patio, a luxurious lobby, and an old-school restaurant and bar! The rooms have hardwood furniture, and some rooms come with a cute little balcony with vintage steel chairs and a table!
- Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Gaslamp – Modest and classy, that is how I would describe this hotel! Besides a great location with restaurants nearby, this hotel has one of the fanciest restaurants and rooftop bars on site! This hotel has 3 different types of rooms, all with a seating area, air conditioning, and a flat screen tv!
- Gaslamp Hostel – Colorful and vibrant, great for young travelers who want to make friends while visiting the bustling Gaslamp Quarter! Apart from the fun decor, this hotel comes with laundry facilities and serves a great breakfast every morning! Some of the guest rooms are shared with other guests, and the double rooms are private. You can choose between private and shared bathrooms!
- HI San Diego Downtown Hostel – This cool hostel is conveniently located in San Diego’s Gaslamp Quarter and offers free breakfast to all guests. As for facilities, you can find a fully equipped kitchen, a pool table, and arcade games! Most of the rooms are shared with other guests, so check by the time of booking, depending on your preferences!
|👑 Best luxury hotel:
|Pendry San Diego
|💵 Best budget hotel:
|💌 Best hotel for honeymoon:
|Kimpton Alma San Diego
|😎 Best hotel for friends group:
|Hard Rock Hotel San Diego
BONUS: Best VRBOs in Gaslamp San Diego
Yes, I have mentioned all the fabulous Gaslamp Quarter Hotels and cute boutique hotels, but how could I end this post without sharing with you these great accommodations, the best VRBOs in Gaslamp San Diego?
These VRBOs are amazing for couples, families, or groups of friends! I have listed 5 options, and they are organized by price range, starting with the most expensive first. The prices go from US$100 to US$900. Let’s dive in!
1. Modern Surf-Themed Home – Heart of Gaslamp
This house looks super cute, with its fun surf theme decor, blue and white all around! This accommodation is located in Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego, and comes with 4 bedrooms, 7 cozy beds, and 4 full bathrooms. Enough space for everyone! Something to keep in mind: the person booking the house must be at least 25 years old.
2. Spectacular Remodel
A fun option for those who love a unique stay, this house is between the East Village and Gaslamp, which makes it super convenient to explore both areas. The house comes with 2 bedrooms, one with a queen bed, and another one with a futon, plus an extra sofa bed in the living room, making it perfect for parties of 6! The house has 2 full bathrooms and 1 half bathroom.
3. New York Style Penthouse in the Heart of the City
OMG! Look at this stylish penthouse, it is modern and upscale! The penthouse has 2 bedrooms, 3 beds, 2 full bathrooms, and a half bathroom, and it can host 8 guests! One of the cool things about this accommodation is the little patio and the cute balcony! You can spend your evenings looking out at the world from your private balcony sipping on a glass of wine!
4. Truly Stunning Apartment With Breathtaking Ocean Views!
What a view! This accommodation has huge windows that oversee the city and the ocean! Truly stunning! It’s a super spacious place with 2 bedrooms and 5 beds, and a maximum of 6 guests can stay here! There are also 2 full bathrooms, so no one has to wait in line! There’s also a gorgeous little patio where you can enjoy your morning coffee with that incredible view!
5. Luxury 1 Bedroom With Loft & Deck
Aw, this condo has a super nice homey vibe! The accommodation only takes monthly reservations, which is perfect for long stays! It comes with 1 bedroom and 2 beds and accommodates a total of 4 guests. It’s a lovely intimate space with high ceilings and a private balcony for you to chill on after a long day!
FAQs about best hotels in Gaslamp, San Diego
🌇 Which area is better, Gaslamp or Downtown San Diego?
Both are great areas! In downtown San Diego, you have a lot of popular attractions, and the Gaslamp district is a historical area. Either way, you are just 8 minutes away from the other!
🤔 Is Gaslamp worth a visit?
💡 What’s the best Gaslamp hotel with a pool?
🍸 Which are the best hotels with rooftop bars?
Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Gaslamp has a very fancy rooftop bar called “The Nolen,” and it has great reviews, so you won’t be disappointed!
That’s a wrap, lovely readers! Those were the best hotels in Gaslamp, San Diego, and a nice bonus of the best VRBOs in the area! As you can see, I’ve covered a wide range of options for all tastes and budgets so you’re sure to love one of these awesome hotels in Gaslamp.
I love all of the hotels I featured in this post, but if you ask me which 2 are my absolute favorite San Diego Gaslamp hotels, I would say:
- Hard Rock Hotel San Diego – Who wouldn’t want to stay in a Hard Rock Hotel? I love that it is music-centered and has cool things like a nightclub onsite, and you can even borrow a guitar for free during your stay!
- Moxy San Diego Gaslamp Quarter – Amazing style, cool neon lights in the lobby, complimentary check-in drinks. Sounds fantastic to me!
Go ahead and book your hotel room now before it gets booked up! Let me know which one it is in the comments! I love reading about your experiences!
Have the greatest time on your vacation,
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!