Even though it is the smallest of the US states, Rhode Island offers an incredible number of cultural attractions, delicious restaurants, scenic coastline, and of course, great hotels to host all the visitors who come here every day!
From luxury hotels to charming b&bs and affordable properties, Rhode Island has accommodation options fitting every taste and pocket, so it could take quite a lot of time to find the best one for your needs.
The good news is you don’t have to worry about that because I have already done the job for you and created this helpful guide to the best hotels where to stay in Rhode Island! I’ve divided it up by price range and sorted it in descending order to help you easily find the perfect hotel for you. I’ve even added a bonus with some cool options right on the beach, so there’s something for everyone here!
The only thing you have to remember is to book your favorite hotel far in advance. Many of the options in this article are very requested and get booked out in the blink of an eye and I wouldn’t want you to miss out.
If you are in a hurry
If you are short on time, check out this quick list of Rhode Island’s best hotels, divided by budget:
Best areas to stay in Rhode Island
The best place to stay in Rhode Island is the popular coastal town of Newport. Newport is divided between Newport Harbor (featuring the panoramic Cliff Walk), or Downtown Newport, where you’ll find the famous Thames Street, both offering a great range of hotels.
Otherwise, other beloved destinations in the state include the oceanfront villages of Watch Hill and Weekapaug, Providence (the capital city of Rhode Island), or some stunning islands like Block Island!
If you have a particular town in mind for your vacation, you will find the location of each hotel in the descriptions. Otherwise, check out this handy map to see where the top hotels in Rhode Island are located:
Luxury (US$400 and up)
- Ocean House – if you are looking for a luxury retreat in Rhode Island, The Ocean House is definitely for you, located in the quiet town of Watch Hill on a stunning white-sand beach. This Victorian-style ocean house offers amazing vacation packages in spacious rooms with an old-world charm, modern amenities like in-room iPads, and private balconies boasting ocean views. But staying here will give you access to way more: a full-service spa, a swimming pool, a fitness center, and room service… What else do you need?
- Сastle Hill Inn – Check out this amazing waterfront hotel with a great location in Newport Harbor, only a 1-hour drive from Boston and all its great areas to stay. The Castle Hill Inn is perfect for a romantic getaway as the individually decorated rooms come with fireplaces and soaking tubs designed for two, there is an oceanfront dining room perfect for a dinner date and a full-service spa for a relaxing couple massages. Other cool pluses here include the on-site restaurant, free wi-fi access on the whole property, and the complimentary cruiser bikes available to visit Rhode Island!
- Weekapaug Inn – Gaze at the best Atlantic Ocean views from this luxury hotel in Weekapaug offering everything you need for a comfy stay! In fact, at Weekapaug Inn you’ll have access to some upscale amenities such as a private beach, a swimming pool, fine dining & casual restaurants on-site, and a complimentary breakfast served every morning. And wait until you see the amazing rooms! They are decorated with local artists’ works, a light color palette, and tasteful bathrooms… check out the pictures!
- The Inn at Spring House – This incredible property offers modern amenities and a great location in Rhode Island, precisely 2 miles from the famous Block Island and 10 minutes walk from the beach. The hotel features free Wi-Fi access, free private parking, and spacious rooms with a flat-screen TV and a private bathroom. But one of the things that guests love the most about the hotel is the delicious breakfast served every morning… the perfect way to recharge your energy before visiting Rhode Island!
- The Cliffside Inn – Located in Newport Harbor just 350 m from Easton Beach, this incredible hotel offers accommodation with a beautiful garden and free WiFi throughout the property! The rooms are clean, fully equipped with a seating area, the staff is super friendly and the location is perfect, with a view right of the Newport Mansions! Here you can have the best dinners at the on-site restaurant and finish your night with a refreshing cocktail at the bar… what else do you need?
- Watch Hill – Check out this luxury hotel nestled in Watch Hill Village which is a beautiful property where smart technology meets historic charm. Choose one of the 21 stylish accommodations, make use of the room service, eat the local cuisine at the on-site restaurants, and have a drink at the bar right after. Another plus? From the Watch Hill hotel, you’ll gaze at the most beautiful sunsets in Rhode Island and have a fantastic view over Narragansett Bay!
Mid Range (US$200 – US$350)
- Hammett’s Hotel – If you are looking for great value for price in Rhode Island, this is the perfect spot for you! Located in downtown Newport, this hotel has a restaurant, fitness center, a bar, and a shared lounge in Newport. On top of that, it offers a great location on Commercial Wharf, within walking distance of restaurants, shops, the historical district, Easton Beach, and the famous Thames street, so you can easily visit Rhode Island’s best attractions. Ask the staff at the reception to give you tips on the area!
- Gilded – Set in Newport downtown, within walking distance from the Museum of Newport History, this modern boutique hotel offers everything for a comfy stay! The rooms are very spacious and have modern amenities like air-conditioning, a flat-screen TV and a dining room. You’ll also love the location of the hotel, giving you access to some of Rhode Island’s famous attractions like the International Tennis Hall of fame and Easton Beach, so you can join a different activity every day… How great is that?
- Mill Street Inn – Check out this amazing property located within walking distance from the beach, Rhode Island’s vibrant Thames Street, and the waterfront! This renovated, 19th-century mill offers suites with historic appeal, antique furnishings, and contemporary amenities all at the same time creating a very charming mix. In fact, the rooms feature original beams, exposed brick walls, plush linens, a flat-screen TV, and in-room fruit and snacks. And wait until you see the views over Newport Harbor… just amazing!
- Howland House Inn – This renovated historic hotel in downtown Newport was built around 1765 and is perfect for a stay with the family as it offers family rooms and many activities! Some examples? Here you can engage in walking tours, snorkeling, horse riding, diving, cycling, and more… so you’ll have countless ways to explore Rhode Island! The property is also within walking distance of the famous Thames Street and has delicious dining options like The Howland House Inn and The Landing Restaurant.
- Burbank Rose Inn Bed & Breakfast – Located in Newport Harbor, this lovely and charming B&B will make you feel immediately at home. Here you’ll be at an easy walking distance from the beach and from downtown Newport’s restaurants and shops at the same time, so it is perfect if you plan on visiting Rhode Island without a car. Guests also love the super friendly staff, the quiet area surrounding the property, and the fully equipped kitchen of the apartments, perfect for cooking your own meals in total privacy!
- OceanCliff Hotel & Resort – OceanCliff Hotel & Resort is a unique property on beautiful rolling hills with manicured lawns and gardens… no wonder why the property is a popular destination wedding venue! Here you can choose between 24 stylish and modern bedrooms, each one with a dining room, private kitchenette, and hot tub, plus beautiful oceanfront views of Narragansett Bay. Other cool on-site amenities include the indoor pool, basketball courts, horseshoes, and laundry facilities.
Budget (up to US$200)
- Hotel Providence – Located in the heart of the arts and entertainment district in downtown Providence, this boutique hotel is a perfectly preserved piece of history. The rooms are all decorated with an art and literature theme, and feature additional seating, a spacious desk, marble flooring in the private bathrooms, vintage furniture, and works of art… you will feel like you are in a painting! My tip? Take a tour of the art and antiques throughout the hotel’s lobby and second floor with the guidebook!
- Christopher Dodge House – Check out this historic bed and breakfast in Providence, set in a brick mansion dating back to 1858. The hotel location is just perfect, within walking distance from Brown University, the Rhode Island State Capital, and the Rhode Island School of Design (Museum of Art)… so in the hotel’s surroundings, there is something to do for any taste! Other pluses? The delicious complementary breakfast served every morning is the perfect way to start your day!
- Inn on Bellevue – Do you want to save some money during your holiday in Newport, Rhode Island? Then check out this affordable bed and breakfast with Victorian-era decor, located within walking distance from the beach and historic Newport Mansions, as well as some waterfront shops and restaurants. This is perfect for leisure and business travelers alike, offering accommodations with elegance and luxury amenities such as in-room pads, private balconies, and free wifi.
- Residence Inn Providence Downtown – Located in Downtown Newport, this hotel offers great amenities for very affordable prices like free internet and free private parking! Here you’ll have easy access to Brown University and the Rhode Island School, which makes the hotel the perfect starting point to visit Rhode Island. And after an intense day of visiting, you can relax in your spacious room, eat in the many dining options of the area, and sleep in super comfy beds!
- Old Town Inn – If you want to stay on a budget in Rhode Island, this hotel is definitely for you, offering accommodations with a shared lounge, free private parking, a garden, and a tennis court. Start your day with a delicious buffet breakfast served every morning, so you can take the right energy to visit some popular points of interest near the accommodation like Baby Beach, Ballard’s Beach, and Block Island. Otherwise, you can join some family-friendly activities like hiking and fishing… you won’t get bored here!
- Howard Johnson by Wyndham – This is one of the best budget hotels in Newport, located on a hill overlooking the Atlantic Ocean within walking distance from Easton’s Beach. Here you’ll have access to amazing facilities including a hot tub, an indoor pool, and a sauna, all perfect ways to enjoy some relaxation during your holiday! The shopping area surrounding the hotel is also great, hosting over 80 restaurants where you can eat after buying some souvenirs!
|👑 Luxury price:
|💵 Mid Range:
|📅 How many days:
|👩❤👨 Best honeymoon hotel:
|Сastle Hill Inn
|🌊Top hotel with a view
|🏖️ Hotel with a beach
|☀️Best time to go:
|June – November
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:
|Сastle Hill Inn
|🏰 Most unique hotel:
|The Chanler at Cliff Walk
|🧳 Best mid-range hotel:
|OceanCliff Hotel & Resort
|👛 Best budget hotel:
BONUS: Best beachfront hotels in Rhode Island
One of the best places to stay in Rhode Island is definitely its beautiful coastline, hosting most of the state’s highlights like Newport Harbor, the Cliff Walk, and Narragansett Bay, while also giving you access to some cool natural attractions like the historic Goat Island and Block Island.
For this reason, I decided to create this bonus for you with the best beachfront hotels in Rhode Island where you can enjoy direct beach access and some cool amenities such as a swimming pool and private balconies with Atlantic ocean views!
Check out these amazing waterfront hotels, divided by price range, all perfect for a family stay or a romantic getaway:
Luxury (US$500 and up):
- The Chanler at Cliff Walk – This beachfront hotel will make you step back in time with its authentic old-world elegance! This is actually the only hotel located on Newport’s famed Cliff Walk and is surrounded by charming manicured gardens, overlooking the sparkling waters of the Atlantic Ocean. Here there are only twenty individually decorated rooms: each designed around a historical period or decorative theme… They are just beautiful!
- Block Island Beach House – Located on Block Island, this waterfront ocean house offers the best amenities! In fact, here you’ll have access to an outdoor swimming pool, a delicious on-site restaurant, and a beach bar where you can have a refreshing cocktail at the end of your day. You will also enjoy the rooms with views of the Atlantic Ocean and the fine dining on the wraparound terrace and waterfront deck, with evening entertainment.
Mid-range (US$300 – US$500):
- The Sullivan House – Located right on the beach, this beautiful ocean house offers an on-site bar, free private parking, a tranquil garden where you can relax as well as a terrace. The property position is also perfect to explore the best attractions of the area like Block Island and several beaches from Scotch Beach to Baby Beach and Mosquito Beach. Other things I am sure you will love are the delicious breakfast served every morning, the quietness of the area, and the fresh breeze that comes straight from the water!
Budget (up to US$250):
- Breezeway Resort – Are you going on a beach vacation with the family? Then don’t miss this incredible resort in Winnapaug, offering a private beach area and affordable prices! Here you’ll have access to great amenities like an outdoor pool, a shared lounge, and even a games room and a play area for your kids. And don’t forget to check out the family rooms which all provide air conditioning, an outdoor seating area, and access to a complimentary breakfast.
- Sea Whale Motel – This motel is a beautiful gem located just outside of Newport, precisely a 5-minute walk from the beach and to many dining options. Thanks to its great position overlooking the Bay where you can enjoy a stunning sunset every night, plus the staff is super helpful and welcoming, so you will immediately feel at home. And all of this is such great value for the price… so you really have no excuses to not like this place!
Frequently asked questions about Rhode Island hotels
👑 Which are the best places to stay in Rhode Island?
👀 What are the best things to do in Rhode Island?
The best things to do in Rhode Island include visiting Downtown Newport and its Museum of Newport History, exploring the historic Goat Island, or gazing at panoramic ocean views from the famous Cliff Walk or Narragansett Bay.
👩❤👨 Which are the best places to stay in Rhode Island for couples?
Here we are at the end of this guide with the best accommodation options in Rhode Island, United States. We saw hotels for all budgets and tastes including the best waterfront hotels in the state, so I am sure there is the perfect option for you here!
But if the options were actually too many and you’re still undecided on which one to choose, here are my 2 absolute favorites in Rhode Island:
- Сastle Hill Inn – An amazing luxury hotel offering beautiful rooms and complimentary cruiser bikes to visit Rhode Island!
- OceanCliff Hotel & Resort – OceanCliff Hotel & Resort is a unique property located on beautiful rolling hills, with manicured lawns and gardens.
If you see something you like, make sure you book it as soon as possible to reserve yourself a spot and maybe even find some great deals.
I hope you enjoyed reading my post as much as I did writing it for you, and don’t have to drop your questions in the comments below if you have any!
Enjoy your holiday!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!