Hong Kong, considered to be a popular “gateway” to Asia, is a metropolis and autonomous region in Southern China. The city is quite densely populated and vibrant, with over 7.4 million people living there and it’s the perfect destination for travelers interested in skyscrapers, modern architecture, authentic markets, nightlife, unforgettable gastronomy (dim sum, anyone?), culture, history and more!
In case you are planning a trip to this interesting city, choosing where to stay in Hong Kong will be an important matter, as the city has a really unique layout, divided into three different territories. Making up your mind on the best area for your stay can be very challenging, especially if you’re visiting Hong Kong for the first time.
But no worries, in this post I will tell you everything you need to know about the 6 best areas to stay in Hong Kong, plus my hand-picked hotel recommendations in each of them! From Central to Tsim Sha Tsui and Mongkok, you’ll find everything you need in the article below.
Are you ready? Let’s go!
- If you’re in a hurry…
- 1. Tsim Sha Tsui – Where to stay in Hong Kong for the first time
- 2. Central – Where to stay in Hong Kong for nightlife
- 3. Causeway Bay – Where to stay in Hong Kong with a family
- 4. Wan Chai – Where to stay in Hong Kong on a budget
- 5. Mong Kok & Yau Ma Tei
- 6. Sheung Wan
- Best apartments in Hong Kong
- Best hotels near Hong Kong International Airport
If you’re in a hurry…
The best area to stay for people visiting Hong Kong for the first time is Tsim Sha Tsui. This is considered to be Downtown Hong Kong and it combines interesting landmarks with an authentic atmosphere, so you can completely take in the Hong Kong vibe. Plus, staying here means you can easily get around and reach the rest of the city!
Best hotels in Hong Kong in a nutshell
Which area should you choose?
Before getting into details and actual hotel recommendations, I have to explain a bit about how Hong Kong is divided, as its layout is quite unusual from your average city and choosing the right territory is an important aspect of your stay.
Hong Kong is divided by Victoria Harbour into three different sectors or territories :
- Hong Kong Island – a more modern area where most of the tourists will spend their time
- Kowloon – still considered to be the center of the city, but more authentic and Chinese
- New Territories – the bigger land territory of Hong Kong where mostly locals live
There are also the surrounding Outlying Islands (technically part of New Territories) and Lantau (the island where the airport is located), but these are not areas of interest for a general tourist, so I won’t be focusing on them.
The two popular territories for tourists are Hong Kong island and Kowloon and people tend to not stay in the New Territories either, as they’re further away from the main attractions and a pretty unpractical choice. In terms of transportation, getting from Hong Kong Island to Kowloon and the other way around is super easy and fast, so regardless of which one of the two you choose, the decision will be a good one.
Here’s a map of all the Hong Kong neighborhoods I’ll be talking about in this post:
Talking of neighborhoods, there are different options in these two areas (the island and Kowloon), each of them with different advantages and a unique charm. I will talk about 6 of them below, but in order to make your choice easier, I have made this list of personalized recommendations depending on your preferences and travel style:
- Where to stay in Hong Kong for luxury: Causeway Bay or Central
- Best area to stay in Hong Kong for budget travelers and foodies: Mong Kok
- Where to stay in Hong Kong for nightlife: Central or Wan Chai
- Where to stay in Hong Kong for families: Causeway Bay
- Where to stay in Hong Kong for shopping: Causeway Bay
Now that you understood how the city of Hong Kong is organized and which are the best neighborhoods for tourists, let’s find out more details about each of them, together with my hand-picked hotel recommendations:
1. Tsim Sha Tsui – Where to stay in Hong Kong for the first time
Located right at the tip of the Kowloon area, Tsim Sha Tsui is one of the best choices if you’re visiting Hong Kong for the first time!
Tsim Sha Tsui (abbreviated as TST) is a very popular choice among tourists, regardless if we’re talking about luxury travelers of backpackers that want to have a taste of true Hong Kong. Compared to Central (the business district of the city), TST is more authentic and it has a real Chinese vibe to it.
Regardless if you choose to stay here or not, you will surely visit this part of the city during your stay. While you’re here, make sure to see Kowloon Park, visit the Avenue of Stars (Chinese version of the Hollywood Walk of Fame) and take a stroll on Nathan Road where you will find tons of bars, cafes, restaurants and shops as well. If you get bored, you can always take a ferry from Star Ferry Pier and you’ll get to Central in no time! By the way, Tsim Sha Tsui is also a great choice if you’re interested in nightlife!
If you feel like this is the area for you, here are the best Hong Kong hotels in Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon that I could find for you:
Luxury (US$100 and up)
- The Peninsula Hong Kong – In case you’re looking for the ultimate luxury stay close to Victoria Harbor, walking distance to all the main attractions in the city, this hotel is for you! This superb 5-star property awaits with an indoor swimming pool and a flawless location.
- InterContinental Hotel Hong Kong – Here’s another excellent choice for a spoiled stay in Hong Kong, very close to Nathan Road and the Avenue of Stars, for example! This is one of the best hotels in Hong Kong where you can benefit from free Wi-Fi, beautiful rooms, a huge terrace and an infinity swimming pool overlooking Victoria Harbor as well!
Middle-priced (US$50 – US$100)
- The Salisbury – YMCA Hotel Hong Kong – In case you’re searching for a great accommodation that offers a very good value for the money, you just found it! This popular hotel is walking distance to Kowloon Park and it has an environmentally-friendly policy, air conditioned rooms and more!
- Dash Hotel on Minden – Here’s another great choice if you want to be walking distance to all the important landmarks in the city. This 3-star accommodation is the ideal place to enjoy a comfortable stay in clean and cozy rooms for a very good price!
Budget (up to US$50)
- Peace House – In case you’re traveling on a very tight budget but want to be close to Kowloon Park or enjoy some unforgettable views over Victoria Harbor, make sure to book a room at this hotel! All guests can enjoy the convenient location and flawless service here.
- Pacific Guest House – Are you looking for a great stay in Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon that won’t make you break the bank? I just found it for you! This simple and clean guest house awaits with free Wi-Fi, an impeccable location, 24-hour security and more!
2. Central – Where to stay in Hong Kong for nightlife
Central is located on Hong Kong Island and it’s the skyscraper heaven of the city, as well as the place where there’s always something exciting happening!
Besides being the financial/business core of Hong Kong, the Central District is one of the most popular neighborhoods in the city and it’s very close to Tsim Sha Tsui as well. If you only have two nights in Hong Kong, choosing to stay here would make for a great decision!
The Central District is also an amazing choice for visitors going to Hong Kong for the first time!
Some of the advantages of staying here are the fact that it’s extremely easy to get around and you’ll also be very close to the main attractions in the city. For example, you can climb Victoria Peak (552 m) and admire the incredible skyline of Hong Kong, or you can be amazed by the colonial buildings or take a stroll in Hong Kong Park. The area is also well-known for the greatest Hong Kong nightlife and tons of shopping and dining options as well.
In terms of accommodation, you can find everything your heart desires in Central, from luxurious 5-star hotels to budget-friendly accommodations and hostels. That being said, here is my hand-picked selection of hotels that you can choose from:
Luxury (US$130 and up)
- Four Seasons Hotel Hong Kong – In case you’re wondering where to stay in Hong Kong for the ultimate luxury experience right in the heart of the Central District, with unbeatable views of Victoria Harbor, this one’s for you! Staying here means you’ll be close to Hong Kong Park and Victoria Peak as well and you’ll be able to enjoy an impeccable 5-star service. Probably the best hotel in Hong Kong!
- Madera Hollywood Hotel Hong Kong – This great 5-star hotel in Hong Kong is my recommendation for those who want a spoiled stay in one of the best locations in the city! If you get bored, you can also go up Victoria Peak or head over to Lan Kwai Fong for nightlife, or just take a stroll on the wonderful streets and admire the views over the harbor’s skyline.
Middle-priced (US$70 – US$130)
- Butterfly on Wellington Boutique Hotel Central – Looking for a perfect mid-range hotel? Some of the facilities at this property include free Wi-Fi, currency exchange and laundry service, among others. Plus, you’ll be close to Lan Kwai Fong area (less than 350 m away) where you can enjoy some nightlife and to the other attractions in Central as well.
- Butterfly on LKF Boutique Hotel Central – If you still haven’t found the ideal middle-priced place for your stay in the Central District, very close to Victoria Peak, I have another option for you! This hotel awaits with bright, super clean rooms and even portable Wi-Fi rental – how great is that?
Budget (up to US$70)
- Mojo Nomad Central by Ovolo – Are you on a tight budget instead? No worries! This excellent budget-friendly accommodation will offer a great comfortable stay to all its guests! Some of the important sights nearby are Lan Kwai Fong (for nightlife), The Peak and more. The airport is also 40 minutes away!
- Hotel LBP – In case you’re a night owl that wants to be close to Lan Kwai Fong, but you have a very limited budget, this place is for you! Book a room here if you want to enjoy staying in a 3-star hotel close to all the main attractions in the city.
3. Causeway Bay – Where to stay in Hong Kong with a family
Causeway Bay is considered to be the heart of Hong Kong Island and it’s a great place to stay if you want to have an excellent location and enjoy some of the best shopping options in the entire city!
Causeway Bay is the right place to go if you want to be surrounded by tons of amazing restaurants and bars, or if you want to buy cheap gadgets and other interesting stuff. Even if this area is a bit densely populated, it’s considered to be a great place to stay with your family and kids, as the location is pretty much flawless, close to all the main attractions in the city center (20 minutes to Central by MTR).
Some other unmissable things to see here are Victoria Park (the biggest park in the city), SOGO (a huge department store that has no less than 13 levels – what?!) and Tin Hau Temple (just one of the many Tin Hau temples in Hong Kong).
Convinced? Here are the best hotels in Causeway Bay, Hong Kong that you can choose from:
Luxury (US$130 and up)
- Lanson Place Hotel – Are you looking for the ultimate luxurious stay in Causeway Bay, close to tons of shopping options? You have reached the right place! This luxury 5-star hotel is the perfect mix of convenience and warmth that will help you have an unforgettable vacation!
- The Park Lane Hotel Hong Kong – Here’s another excellent place if you want to have enough room space during your visit to Hong Kong. Staying here means you’ll always be close to tons of restaurants, shops and MTR stations, and you’ll also have an on-site fitness center. Plus, the staff speaks perfect English – what more can you wish for?
Middle-priced (US$60 – US$130)
- Tuve – In case you’re looking for convenience while being close to shopping malls and Victoria Park, then this might be the right place for you! This 4-star accommodation awaits with a fantastic breakfast, exceptional cleanliness and high quality room facilities.
- Metropark Hotel Causeway Bay – Here’s another superb mid-range hotel in Causeway Bay for all those interested in shopping and sightseeing as well! Some of the advantages of staying here include enjoying a tasteful decor, modern amenities, an on-site fitness center and sauna as well. Sounds just great, right?
Budget (up to US$60)
- L’étoile de Mer – If you’re planning a budget stay in Causeway Bay, Hong Kong, this hostel might be the perfect place for you! They have different types of rooms that you can choose from and a great location, close to all the main attractions that the city has to offer – a great advantage!
- Yesinn @Causeway Bay – Here’s another great budget-friendly option located close to many food places, bars, pubs and, of course, shopping malls. This one is super close to SOGO Mall, for example, and one of the best thing about the accommodation is the unbeatable price!
4. Wan Chai – Where to stay in Hong Kong on a budget
Wan Chai is located on Hong Kong Island as well and it’s considered to be one of the best areas in the city for backpackers and tourists traveling on a budget!
Wan Chai is a popular shopping area in Hong Kong as well. You can consider it to be very similar to Central Hong Kong, but a bit more laid-back and less crowded – and with more pocket-friendly hotel options. The location is pretty fabulous as well – only half an hour by foot from Central (or 20 minutes by MTR).
Some of the most important points of Wan Chai are the Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Centre (HKCEC), Golden Bauhinia Square and tons of beautiful architecture, as this was one of the oldest Colonial settlements in the city. You’ll also find plenty of traditional buildings and food places here, so you can definitely enjoy the true side of Hong Kong in Wan Chai. In terms of accessibility, Wan Chai is very well connected to the rest of the city via public transportation, so getting around shouldn’t be an issue at all.
If you have your heart set on Wan Chai, below you can find my accommodation recommendations for your stay in Hong Kong:
Luxury (US$160 and up)
- The St. Regis Hong Kong – If you’re planning to enjoy the ultimate spoiled visit to Wan Chai, look no further than this superb hotel! Staying here means you’ll be close to the Admiralty and other important landmarks and hotspots in Hong Kong. You will also surely enjoy the on-site restaurants, poolside bar, coffee shop and more!
- Grand Hyatt Hong Kong – In case you didn’t find your ultimate luxury stay in Hong Kong, Wanchai, I have another superb choice for you! This gorgeous 5-star hotel has a very impressive interior and decor and the service is pretty excellent. Of course, you’ll also have easy access to all the main attractions that might interest you!
Middle-priced (US$80 – US$160)
- The Fleming – In case you want to be in a great spot in Wan Chai, very close to Hong Kong Convention Center and plenty of shopping opportunities, then you should take a look at this property, you might just fall in love! This 4-star boutique hotel awaits with an on-site Italian restaurant, complimentary breakfast, superb and clean rooms and more.
- OZO Wesley Hong Kong – Here’s another great choice if you want a middle-priced hotel room in Wan Chai. Some of the best things about staying here are the 4-star facilities and amenities, free Wi-Fi and excellent comfort. Plus, the staff is very friendly and helpful!
Budget (up to US$80)
- 218 Apartment – If you’re on a very tight budget but still want to visit Wan Chai and stay in it as well, this might be the ideal place for you! This 4-star property is close to a MTR station and the rooms are very clean and comfortable. Trust me, the value for the money is just great here!
- The Emperor Hotel – Being close to countless shopping places, restaurants, bars, a MTR station and plenty of notable attractions are some important things for you during your visit to Hong Kong? Then I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy staying here, especially if you don’t have a lot of money to spend on accommodation!
5. Mong Kok & Yau Ma Tei
Back in Kowloon Peninsula we can find two beautiful neighborhoods: Mong Kok and Yau Ma Tei. These are great spots for foodies interested in trying as many traditional foods during their stay in Hong Kong!
Mong Kok (meaning “popular corner” in Chinese) and Yau Ma Tei are some very cool neighborhood options if you’re interested in street food stalls, cheap authentic places where you can taste traditional food and night markets as well. Make sure you don’t miss the Temple Street Night Market, the Ladies Market (for souvenirs) and Fa Yuen Street if you want to shop for some sneakers and not only!
If you choose to stay in one of these two neighboring areas, you’ll never be short on pub, bar and cafe options, so you can rest assured that you can never get bored around here!
That being said, here are the best hotels I could find in both Mong Kok and Yau Ma Tei for you:
Luxury (US$110 and up)
- Cordis, Hong Kong – This incredible accommodation is located in Mong Kok, which means it’s not far from Yau Ma Tei either. Staying here means you’ll enjoy a 5-star service and access to the on-site swimming pool. You can spend your days exploring the nearby sights and enjoying some authentic dim sum from the street food vendors, which I think will make your trip unforgettable! Ah, and by the way, the property is directly linked to Langham Place shopping mall!
- Royal Plaza Hotel – Here’s another superb choice if you want to enjoy a premium service! This amazing 5-star hotel is one of the best sellers in Hong Kong and it’s super close to countless street food options, as well as shops and cafes. The rooms are spacious and super clean and the hotel even has its own shuttle bus service to the main attractions!
Middle-priced (US$50 – US$110)
- Lodgewood by L’hotel Mongkok Hong Kong – Here’s a great mid-range accommodation that will offer an excellent value for the money in Mong Kok, also close to Yau Ma Tei neighborhood and its attractions. This 4-star property has a fantastic daily breakfast, plenty of public transportation options nearby and other nice perks.
- Yesinn @YMT Kowloon Hong Kong – If you want to be close to Temple Street Market and other interesting sights in these two areas, then you can check out this amazing hotel, I’m sure you’ll like it! Free Wi-Fi, air conditioning and cleanliness – you’ll enjoy all these and more during your stay! This place will provide a great service regardless if you’re visiting in December or August.
Budget (up to US$50)
- Metropark Hotel Mongkok – In case you’re on a tight budget but still want to be in the heart of Mong Kok, super close to both the Temple Street Market and Ladies Market, this place might be for you! The rooms are simple but very nice and the hotel has free Wi-Fi, a great location and an on-site fitness center as well, among other facilities.
- Wing On Hotel – Last but not least, here’s another excellent choice for a pleasant and cheap stay in Mong Kok, right in the North part of the city. This property is close to many public transportation options and it offers easy check in and check out and comfortable rooms!
6. Sheung Wan
If your goal is to experience the authentic, traditional side of Hong Kong, then you should base yourself in Sheung Wan, a very charming area on Hong Kong Island, right near Central!
Considered one of the coolest neighborhood choices in Hong Kong, Sheung Wan is the place where you can see how the city looked many years ago, while still being close to the most modern part of the city and with a great view over Victoria Harbour.
Sheung Wan combines all the good things into one: great restaurants, art galleries, Colonial architecture, traditional local shops, a great location close to plenty of nightlife options and an interesting history. Some of the best things to visit while you’re here include the Western Market, the Hong Kong Museum of Medical Sciences and Man Mo Temple, among others.
If you feel like this is the right place for your stay in Hong Kong, let me show you the best hotels I selected for you in this wonderful area:
Luxury (US$120 and up)
- The Jervois – Are you looking for a high-end, spoiled stay in Hong Kong? Then you should head over to this property’s page and look at the pictures – it looks simply amazing! The rooms are bright, spacious and tastefully decorated and the hotel is very close to Sheung Wan Station MTR station, which provides easy access to the attractions.
- 99 Bonham – Here’s another flawless choice if you’re looking for a quirky, high-quality accommodation close to countless restaurants, street food stalls, bars and more. This beautiful 4-star property offers some very nice views over Hong Kong as well!
Middle-priced (US$60 – US$120)
- Holiday Inn Express Hong Kong Soho – If a convenient, valuable accommodation is what you’re looking for, then you should check out this hotel! It has free Wi-Fi in all rooms, free breakfast included in the price, super clean rooms and other amazing advantages that you’ll surely enjoy.
- Mojo Nomad Central by Ovolo – In case you’re looking for a great 4-star hotel that won’t cost you a ton of money but will still offer a very good service and value, you just found it! You should note that the streets near the hotel are packed with countless restaurants, bars and pubs, so you can never get bored here!
Budget (up to US$60)
- Travelodge Central, Hollywood Road – Are you on a tight budget but still want to be very close to the center and all its street food options, shops and cafes? No worries, I have a solution! This cute and cozy hotel is very close to Soho area as well and there are tons of entertainment possibilities nearby!
- iclub Sheung Wan Hotel – This one’s located extremely close to Sheung Wan MTR station and it has some unbeatable prices, especially considering the great location! Plus, some of the rooms have beautiful views over Hong Kong, which I think is super nice!
Best apartments in Hong Kong
If you’re the type of traveler that wants to enjoy a local, homey feeling when you’re traveling instead of staying in a hotel, we’re the same! Booking an apartment when you’re visiting a foreign country is a great way to save some money especially if you’re traveling in a bigger group or with a family and you want to stay together.
Luckily for you, there are tons of amazing apartments on Airbnb in Hong Kong that you can choose from for all budgets and preferences. For your convenience, I already selected some excellent apartments in Tsim Sha Tsui (my top recommendation for tourists visiting Hong Kong for the first time):
Luxury (US$70 and up)
- Newly renovated luxurious & cosy 2BR TST MTR – If you want to enjoy a high level of comfort and luxury during your stay in Hong Kong, then you should check out this beautiful and cozy apartment, you’ll love it! It’s very spacious and it’s decorated with great taste.
- New Luxurious 700sqft APT modern & spacious 2BDR TST – Here’s another excellent choice if you like a personal touch to the space you’ll stay in during your vacation. This is one of the best serviced apartments in Hong Kong and it has 5 beds and it’s an amazing choice for up to 8 travelers – plus, it’s right in the center!
Middle-priced (US$30 – US$60)
- #2 Bright Family Quad Room in Tsim Sha Tsui – Here’s a beautiful and super cozy private room inside an apartment that will provide a great quality for the money! By the way, the owner is a superhost on Airbnb, so you can expect a very good service and communication!
- #86 50% OFF Double Bed at Tsim Sha Tsui MTR 2 PAX – Here’s another great choice located super close to Tsim Sha Tsui MTR. It’s a clean and cozy private room that will surely help you have a very good stay right in the center!
Budget (up to US$30)
- C1 Tsim Sha Tsui Metro 2 pax w/ Toilet – If you’re traveling on a budget and want a very good room that will help you save some money, you should check out this place! It’s just great for 2 travelers that want to be in a central location, close to all the main attractions that Hong Kong has to offer!
- Deluxe Double Room with City View #5 – Here’s another simple but very nice room that has a flawless location and very good reviews. By the way, you’ll also benefit from free Wi-Fi during your stay and you’ll be close to Kowloon Park as well.
Best hotels near Hong Kong International Airport
Hong Kong International Airport (HKG) is located on Chek Lap Kok island and it’s 35 km away from the city center (Central), which means a bit less than half an hour with the Airport Express.
Booking a hotel close to the airport might be an excellent and wise solution for those who have a late night or early morning flight – this way you can save some precious time and sleep! Hong Kong is also a super popular layover destination, so you might end up landing at the airport here in any way.
Regardless of what your reasons are for choosing to stay near the airport, I have selected the best hotels that I could find in the nearby area for your convenience (one for each type of budget):
- (Luxury) Marriott Hotel Hong Kong SkyCity – In case you’re looking for superb hotels near Hong Kong airport, you just found one of the best ones out there! This one provides an excellent 5-star service and it has tons of modern facilities and amenities; plus, it’s only 0.9 km away from the airport – so great!
- (Middle-priced) Novotel Citygate Hong Kong Hotel – If you want a great mid-range Hong Kong airport hotel that’s only 2.5 km to the airport, check out this hotel! One of the best advantages of staying here includes access to free airport transfer, which I think is an amazing advantage.
- (Budget) City Oasis Guesthouse – This hotel is a bit further away than my other two recommendations above (4.4 km away from the airport), but it’s still pretty close! During your stay, make sure to check out the view from the terrace – it’s pretty amazing!
Yay, you have reached the end of my complete guide on Hong Kong accommodation! I hope you found this post useful and that you already found the ideal place for your vacation in the city in my lists of recommendations above.
In this article I have told you everything you need to know about the 6 best areas to stay in Hong Kong, both on Hong Kong Island and in Kowloon Peninsula. For each of the areas I gave you my hand-picked hotel recommendations, as well as some apartment selections and airport hotels as well. In short, there’s nothing you won’t find in this guide!
Are you traveling to Hong Kong soon? Let me know in the comments and, if you have further questions or concerns, I’d be happy to help!
Have a great time in Hong Kong,
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!