Hanoi is the capital of Vietnam and one of the unmissable tourist destinations if you’re planning a trip to this wonderful country! This is an amazing destination for all types of travelers, regardless if you’re interested in sightseeing, temples, gastronomy, a great night market scene, art and everything else in-between!
In case you’re planning a trip to this city soon, I have one question: have you decided on where to stay in Hanoi yet? If not, I’m here to help! As an ever-growing city, the Hanoi accommodation scene is starting to get very competitive, so there will be countless awesome hotels to choose from! In this post you will find the 4 best areas to stay in Hanoi for all tastes and budgets!
PRO TIP: Beware, this doesn’t mean that there’s always plenty of availability as hotels and apartments do sell out! So be sure to be quick and book your accommodation as soon as possible!
I have researched the best accommodation in Hanoi city for all budgets, from hotels to apartments so you don’t have to worry about searching yourself, and all of them have amazing reviews, how about that?! Are you ready? Let’s go!
If you’re in a hurry…
The best area to stay in Hanoi for first-time travelers is The Old Quarter, also known as Hoan Kiem. This neighborhood is perfect for those that like to be located in the middle of the action at the heart of the city! Lots of budget accommodation available and a great range of restaurants and street food to choose from.
Best hotels in Hanoi in a nutshell
- Best luxury hotel: Hanoi La Siesta Central Hotel & Spa
- Best mid-range hotel: Hanoi Marvellous Hotel Spa
- Best budget hotel: Hanoi Esplendor Hotel and Spa
Which area should you choose?
First of all, here is a map of all the best areas where to stay in Hanoi according to my recommendations:
Even though the city is quite large, the tourist areas are usually close to one another (you won’t even need a taxi ride!). So, what is the best area to stay at in Hanoi? The neighborhoods worth to stay at and where most of the accommodation providers are located are the following:
- Where to stay in Hanoi for luxury: West Lake (Tay Ho)
- Where to stay in Hanoi for budget travelers: Old Quarter (Hoan Kiem)
- Where to stay in Hanoi with a family: Ba Dinh
- Where to stay in Hanoi for nightlife: West Lake (Tay Ho)
Here is also a video of Hanoi, so you can get in the mood for your vacation:
The most popular type of accommodation in Hanoi, Vietnam is definitely hotels. You can find everything from 5-star luxury hotels to the humblest homestays. The good news? Usually travelers can up their game when travelling to Vietnam as it tends to be quite an affordable country!
Now that you know more about how Hanoi is organized, let me tell you everything you need to know about the 4 top neighborhoods to stay in Hanoi:
1. The Old Quarter / Hoan Kiem – Where to stay in Hanoi for the first time
The Old Quarter is also called Hoan Kiem and it’s the historical heart and soul of the city! This is also the part where I recommend you stay if you’re visiting the city for the very first time. Why? Because lots of interesting attractions are located here, including Dong Xuan Market, Hoan Kiem Lake and Bach Ma Temple, among others.
In terms of accommodation, you can find everything your heart desires here, from upscale hotels that offer an impeccable service to super budget hostels and guest houses! Here are the best hotels I have selected for you:
Luxury (US$100 and up)
- Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi – Would you like to enjoy an elegant French hotel right in the heart of the Old Quarter? This is probably the most sophisticated 5-star hotel in Hanoi! This is truly one of the best places to stay in the entire city and among the most luxurious hotels in the Hanoi Old Quarter (in the South – called the French Quarter).
- Hanoi La Siesta Central Hotel & Spa – Considered one of the best hotels in Hanoi Old Quarter, and another great luxury choice; the location is fantastic as it is right next to Hoan Kiem Lake Hanoi in the Old Quarter and it has a wide selection of restaurants and bars nearby! I truly recommend it for the best stay in Hoan Kiem (the Old Quarter), close to Hoan Kiem Lake!
Mid-range (US$50 – US$100)
Due to the hard competition in Hanoi’s hotel scene, middle-priced hotels are often as good as luxury hotels in Vietnam, especially in the Old Quarter (Hoan Kiem)! So, have a look at the hotels below, you will find really high-quality accommodation for an unbelievable price and crazy good reviews.
- Hanoi Marvellous Hotel Spa – For a great Hanoi boutique hotel option in the Old Quarter (Hoan Kiem) you can head to Hanoi Marvellous Hotel Spa! You can enjoy panoramic city views from their top floor and get some delicious room service from their Vietnamese and European cuisine on-site restaurant!
- Hanoi Pearl Hotel – Very tastefully decorated, this one is the most affordable out of this middle-price list! Just walking distance from Hanoi’s most famous landmarks in the Old Quarter, its location is one of its highlights. Also, why not check out their night views from The Lounge & Café Terrace?
Budget (up to US$50)
Even though this neighborhood is one of the most popular out there and it’s also the heart of the city, you will be surprised to find out that there are literally TONS of amazing budget hotels in the Old Quarter! Below you can find the best ones I have selected for you:
- Golden Sun Villa Hotel – One of the best 3-star hotels is this family Hanoi hotel! Their rooms are spacious and perfectly clean, and their location is just perfect right in the middle of Hanoi’s Old Quarter, very close to Ngoc Son Temple as well!
- Hanoi Esplendor Hotel and Spa – Here’s another wonderful choice in Old Quarter Hanoi if you only have a very tight budget for this trip! This nice 3-star hotel awaits with free WiFi, an ATM, comfy rooms, while also being super close to St. Joseph Cathedral and the lake! It’s also a great place to meet other international travellers!
2. West Lake / Tay Ho – Where to stay in Hanoi for nightlife
West Lake or Tay Ho is the place where expats in Hanoi hang out! You can enjoy a wide range of upscale accommodation and fine dining restaurants here and – you guessed right: many luxurious hotels are located in the West Lake area, but this doesn’t mean there aren’t some amazing places for budget travelers as well!
This district is called Tay Ho because it is located right near Tay Ho Lake. This is also an amazing area to stay if you’re interested in trying the best gastronomy in Hanoi, as you’ll find tons of amazing food places here! That being said, here are the best hotels in the West Lake area I have selected for you:
Luxury (US$90 and up)
- InterContinental Hanoi West Lake – This super hotel is located in the West Lake area and it awaits with an amazing service! During your stay, you will also enjoy a view of the lake and you can rest assured that this property is comfortable and it has all the luxurious facilities included!
- Sheraton Hanoi Hotel – Looking for the best places to stay in this part of the city? Then this wonderful accommodation is for you! One of the best things about staying here are the comfy rooms, the delicious breakfast and the tons of authentic Vietnamese food places that are located nearby!
Mid-range (US$20 – US$90)
- Parosand Hanoi Hotel – In case value is what you’re looking for, then I recommend checking out this awesome places. It has some amazing facilities and amenities that will help you have a comfortable stay; plus, you will be a short walk from all the interesting attractions in this area!
- Elegant Suites Westlake – Here’s the best place to stay in Hanoi if you want to enjoy a great value for the money you’ll be paying! This is actually a superb 5-star hotel that comes with some very good rates.
Budget (up to US$20)
- RedDoorz Plus near Westlake Tay Ho – Are you looking for the best places to stay in the city on a tight budget? No worries, I got you! It awaits with a 3-star service, room service, luggage storage, a 24-hour front desk and more!
- Tuna Homestay – Here’s another ideal property where you can book a room if you want to enjoy some very affordable prices! The staff is super friendly and always willing to help and you’ll also get to enjoy a shared kitchen and currency exchange!
3. Ba Dinh – Where to stay in Hanoi with a family
If you’d like to stay next to the biggest landmarks such as the Temple of Literature or Thang Long Imperial Citadel, this is your area! Ba Dinh is also my top recommendation for people traveling to Hanoi with their family and kids, as this area is a bit more laid-back compared to the Old Quarter! Some interesting and unmissable sights in this neighborhood include Truc Bach Lake and Hanoi Botanical Garden, for example, so make sure to add them to your itinerary!
Just a note, though: as I said, Ba Dinh neighborhood is located a bit outside of the hustle and bustle of the city centre, so be wary as there are not many food options around! If you want to stay here, scroll down to find the top hotels I have found here:
Luxury (US$90 and up)
- Lotte Hotel Hanoi – In case you’re looking for the ultimate luxurious stay in Hanoi Ba Dinh district, then you should check out this place! Staying here means you’ll enjoy a spoiled stay and you’ll also be close to Truc Bach and Tran Quoc Pagoda as well!
- Hanoi Le Jardin Hotel & Spa – Here’s another superb accommodation in Ba Dinh close toTruc Bach Lake where you will enjoy a full luxury service! This 4-star hotel awaits with free Wi-Fi, a great breakfast, bike hire and car hire – and more!
Mid-range (US$30 – US$90)
- Hanoi Anise Hotel & Spa – In case you want to stay close to Tran Quoc Pagoda and Truc Bach Lake while also enjoying a great value hotel, then I recommend checking out this place! This cool 4-star hotel has modern rooms and everything else you might need.
- Hanoi 3B Premier Hotel – Here’s another good value hotel in Ba Dinh area that has some unbeatable rates considering the quality of its service! This accommodation has some top facilities; plus, you will be close to Truc Bach Lake and other cool attractions!
Budget (up to US$30)
- Dragon Pearl Hotel – Are you traveling on a very tight budget with your family and want to stay in the Ba Dinh area? No worries! This superb hotel located close to Truc Bach Lake awaits with all the things you’ll ever need for the best comfortable stay!
- Chip’s House – Still didn’t find the best budget place in Ba Dinh for you? No worries! This is the perfect choice if you want to save some money during your Vietnam trip and maybe visit some other cool cities such as Ho Chi Minh, for example! Plus, you’ll be super close to Truc Bach Lake.
4. Hai Ba Trung
This is a very cool place, perfect for youngsters looking for a wild atmosphere! One of the best things about this neighborhood is that it’s located right next to the Old Quarter, so you will be super close to the center of the action at all times!
Hai Ba Trung is a great base if you want to be surrounded by tons of shops (for all tastes and budgets), restaurants and cafes. That being said, here are the best hotels in this neighborhood to choose from:
Luxury (US$80 and up)
- La Casa Hanoi Hotel – Looking for the most luxurious stay in Hanoi? Then this place is definitely worth checking out, trust me! It awaits with a 4-star service, an outdoor pool, a spa, a sauna and other amazing facilities!
- Nesta Hanoi – Here’s another luxurious option for the best experience in Hai Ba Trung district! This 4-star accommodation has plenty of advantages, including an international restaurant and free Wi-Fi. Just check out the pictures and you’ll see what I mean!
Mid-range (US$20 – US$80)
- Emerald Hotel – In case you’re on the hunt for a hotel that offers a super value in Hai Ba Trung, this one’s for you! Staying in this 4-star hotel means you’ll get to enjoy free Wi-Fi, a 24-hour front desk, modern rooms and more. Plus, you’ll only be 1 km away from Hoan Kiem!
- Canary Hanoi Hotel – In case you’re still looking for amazing Hanoi hotels in this part of the city, then I suggest you check out this property! It awaits with a 4-star service, free on-site parking, free Wi-Fi and it’s only 15 minutes by foot from Hoan Kiem!
Budget (up to US$20)
- Tonkin Homestay – Looking for the ultimate budget experience in Hai Ba Trung? I got you! This superb homestay is very comfortable and super affordable, so it’s perfect in case you want to save some money during your trip! Plus, you can also use the shared kitchen or the cute garden on the 6th floor – a nice bonus!
- Golden Hotel 2 – Free Wi-Fi, free private parking, a 24-hour front desk, concierge service, currency exchange, flat screen TVs – these are just some of the advantages of staying in this superb hotel with super cheap prices! By the way, all the rooms here have a super interesting decor!
Best apartments in Hanoi, Vietnam
It might not be your first instinct when travelling to South East Asia, to look for an apartment. In my opinion, most travelers don’t usually make this connection, meaning that they don’t think it’s possible to book a whole apartment or studio when travelling to Vietnam.
However, it is definitely a fantastic choice if you’re craving some independence or some home-made meals, it is definitely one of my favorite ways to travel! That’s why I have elaborated the list below with the most gorgeous apartments, from luxurious to the most affordable ones, all of them with awesome reviews!
Luxury (US$160 and up)
- Fraser Suits Hanoi – Located in the stunning West Lake neighbourhood of Hanoi (Tay Ho), the Fraser Suits is your best bet at staying at a 5-star apartment in Hanoi! With a pool area that looks like you’ve stepped in the jungle, make sure you take a day off of sightseeing and get in shape in their very well-equipped gym and grab a meal in their onsite restaurant! Guests consider it the best place to stay in Hanoi!
- NYNA House OldQuarter – In case you’re wondering where to stay in Hanoi in Hoan Kiem for the ultimate spoiled experience, please note that this is the best place to stay! All in all, I surely recommend it if you want to enjoy a local atmosphere and a very good service!
Mid-range (US$50 – US$160)
- Modern Apt✩City View✩Big Balcony✩3s to HKiem Lake – Do you want to be within walking distance to all the important attractions and streets in the city, including Hanoi Opera House and other places in the Old Center? Then you should book this wonderful apartment! The rooms are not little, dare I say they’re super spacious even!
- Hanoi Central Hotel & Residences – Located very close to Hoan Kiem Lake, in Hanoi Old Quarter, this apartment will make for your best home away from home! The welcoming staff, laundry facilities in your own apartment and location convenience is what makes every guest love this place!
Budget (up to US$50)
Yes! It is possible to travel on a budget and still not have to share a dorm with 9 other people! On top of that, you will find that most Hanoi hostels don’t have kitchens, and even though it’s not that necessary over there, I would’ve loved to have one during my time there!
- Botanicahome in Old Quarter – For couples traveling to Hanoi Old Quarter (Hoan Kiem) on a tight budget, the Botanicahome is one of the best options I highly recommend. The place is nice and clean with modern furnishings and you will also have a private bathroom and a beautiful kitchenette so you can cook meals and save some more!
- Zody House – Set in a beautiful white building just a kilometer away from Dong Xuan Market, the Zody House is a great choice if you’re looking for the best apartment at an affordable price! Each studio has a private fully equipped kitchen and a patio, guests especially love the location!
|👑 Luxury price:||$150|
|💵 Mid Range:||$70|
|💰 Accommodation prices:||Low|
|📍 Best neighborhood:||
Old Quarter (Hoan Kiem)
|👪 Best family hotel:|
|🛎️ Best luxury hotel:|
|💵 Mid-range hotel:|
|👛 Best budget hotel:|
BONUS: Best Hanoi Airport Hotels
The airport in Hanoi is called Nội Bài International Airport (HAN) and it is located around 26 km from the city center, which means more or less half an hour with the car, depending on traffic. This is not such a short distance, so for those of you who have a transfer flight in Hanoi, or simply have a very late/early arrival or departure to the city, I can definitely recommend staying in one of the airport hotels!
If you have decided to do so, regardless of your reasons, below I have chosen 3 options for each price group starting from the luxury and finishing with the budget one:
- (Luxury) Novotel Suites Hanoi – If you’d like to stay at the closest luxury hotel to the airport, this would be it! A sophisticated new hotel with spacious rooms and an impeccable décor, feel free to stretch your legs at their onsite gym before or after your flight!
- (Mid-range) Viet Airport Hotel is a great choice when looking for a mid-range option. Its cleanliness, helpful staff and convenient location is what guests love the most about their stay at this hotel! Moreover, it is located just 5km away from the airport and it offers an airport shuttle for your convenience!
- (Budget) VATC Sleep Pod Terminal 2 – If you’d like to stay right at the airport for a very affordable price you should check out this one! Located on the second floor of Terminal 2, you’ll get to experience what is like to sleep in futuristic sleeping pods!
By now, hopefully you have already chosen a place to stay in Hanoi among all my lists of the best places to stay! I hope I haven’t made it too difficult for you to choose, as all the options are great and they offer an amazing service!
From the Old Quarter (Hoan Kiem Hanoi) to Hai Ba Trung, the West Lake area (Tay Ho) and Ba Dinh, you’ll find places in the 4 best neighborhoods in Hanoi in this article!
I have listed above from the best budget and cheap accommodation to the most luxurious one, from apartments in Hanoi to hotels! As usual, do not hesitate on booking Hanoi accommodation as soon as possible, so you make sure you stay at the one you prefer!
I hope you have such a unique experience in Hanoi that you will never forget it! By the way, if you need more travel inspiration for Vietnam, here you can find all our articles about this wonderful country!
If you have any doubt at all or just would like to say hi, drop me a comment below and I’ll be happy to help you!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!